Menu

How many calls to sears does it take to get your new stove fixed?

Flowing Brook

Apparently it takes fifteen calls.  Each time the person taking your call has no idea how to help you. Every time you call they transfer you from person to person.  They give you numbers that don't work.  They give you wrong numbers.  So you keep getting more and more frustrated until finally you give up and decide it is not worth the frustration. You then call your local gas company to see if they can convert your new stove from natural gas to propane. A job that was supposed to be done before it Sears. You become willing to pay to have it done to avoid any more frustration. Especially since you have not been able to use it for three weeks. 

Your gas company comes out three hours after you call them.  They tell you the bill comes to forty dollars but don't pay it. They want to do it for you. They then give you a fifty dollar rebate for buying a new stove. You tell them to keep the rebate money for fixing the stove. They refuse.  You once again become a calm, rational, sane feeling person.  A wave of calmness comes over you again.  The knot in your stomach leaves and you vow never again to buy a appliance from sears.  You are now deciding what to give your favorite gas man for Christmas. Because he has become your new best friend.

All I know is don't complain.  They get really nasty on the phone and call you names if you complain too much.

I will, never, ever, ever do business with Sears again.  Evil, evil company.  There have been many times I've been mistreated by people in various stores and so forth, but only with Sears did I ever feel like perhaps it was part of company policy to treat customers this way.

Yup. No More Sears, even though they do have the color bisque which goes with my kitchen best and stainless would not look great. :-/ No more. So far the fridge and stove have held up by the dishwasher, the newest appliance, is marginally functional out of warranty and likely to bust in a year or two. D-u-n done!

Apparently it takes fifteen calls.  Each time the person taking your call has no idea how to help you. Every time you call they transfer you from person to person.  They give you numbers that don't work.  They give you wrong numbers.  So you keep getting more and more frustrated until finally you give up and decide it is not worth the frustration. You then call your local gas company to see if they can convert your new stove from natural gas to propane. A job that was supposed to be done before it Sears. You become willing to pay to have it done to avoid any more frustration. Especially since you have not been able to use it for three weeks. 

Your gas company comes out three hours after you call them.  They tell you the bill comes to forty dollars but don't pay it. They want to do it for you. They then give you a fifty dollar rebate for buying a new stove. You tell them to keep the rebate money for fixing the stove. They refuse.  You once again become a calm, rational, sane feeling person.  A wave of calmness comes over you again.  The knot in your stomach leaves and you vow never again to buy a appliance from sears.  You are now deciding what to give your favorite gas man for Christmas. Because he has become your new best friend.

I think I saw this book at B&N the other day, didn't I? "If You Buy a Mom a Stove…"

Our local plumbers and mechanics won't touch a Sears product.  That means I have to wait for an actual Sears repairman to come.  Last time we had to wait about two months...  (We don't live in a major metro area.)  I won't buy Sears appliances anymore.

Same sort of problem here.  At one point the person on the phone suggested that I might want to buy a *new* dryer at Sears' Labor Day sale.  Really?

They never did fix our dryer (and they are the only appliance repair game in town, unfortunately).  We ended up buying a new washer and dryer from an independent appliance store.  I will NEVER buy anything from Sears again.

We specifically went out to a locally owned appliance store after joining the "I hate Sears appliances" club last month.  Not only had they gotten nasty on the phone when I complained that they didn't even show up for their service call, when I complained, I was told that it was "not their problem".  The locally owned store gave me a good deal too when I asked if they could come down a bit on the price.  

we are moving to new construction and have to buy a new fridge and washer and dryer.  Dh said he will not get them from Sears, probably not from Best Buy and wants to more than likely get them from Home Depot.  We will be buying them all this Friday but at Black Friday prices.

Actually right now, Sears appliances are more expensive than Best Buy or Home Depot which appear to be exactly the same sale prices.

Our appliances that came with our house were Kenmore, from sears.  Nothing but problems dealing with them and their repair service.  I now buy from a small, locally owned appliance company (one of my friend's husbands is a salesman there and I know from him they treat their employees very well).  I also use a small, locally/family owned appliance repair service.  They have been cheaper every trip then anything I ever paid for the Sears contracted repair service (with the exception of the time the sears guy just didn't bother to show up and I got the one sympathetic person from Sears on the phone who fixed my fridge for free - but that was a major exception to every other experience with them).

I consulted the lovely interwebs, YouTube and www.reliableparts.com, and fixed my own flipping dryer. One part was $25 (solenoid switch for the gas), the other kit was $40 (to replace the squeaky bits). Sears-contracted repairman had told me the squeak was in the motor and couldn't be fixed... Just use it until it dies, oh and here's a $50 coupon for a new dryer.

That makes no sense.  Sears doesn't actually make any products.  They are just rebranded brand names.

Well that's weird!  I don't know why they won't work on our Sears appliances then.  Maybe they have some kind of an agreement with the Sears in our part of the state.  I had even asked one local plumber to come without mentioning the brand, and as soon he walked into our kitchen and saw that it was a Sears dishwasher, he told me he didn't fix Sears stuff, and left. 

We specifically went out to a locally owned appliance store after joining the "I hate Sears appliances" club last month.  Not only had they gotten nasty on the phone when I complained that they didn't even show up for their service call, when I complained, I was told that it was "not their problem".  The locally owned store gave me a good deal too when I asked if they could come down a bit on the price.  

My locally owned appliance store sent out repairmen for our washer that were worse than Sears. My husband finally figured out the source of the recurring problem and told the repair guy so he could order the part and "fix" it.