Menu

On shopping carts

Miss Peregrine

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once shopping center near me is close (about a mile) to an area heavily populated by immigrants families from many cultures. I have seen mothers with multiple littles (3 or 4 or more) walking groceries and laundry (laudromat is next to the Safeway), to and from the shopping center. Typical Americans seem quite lazy to me by comparison--can't return a cart after they load groceries and kids in vehicle and drive away?!

I've never NOT returned a cart. I always assumed that was only done by low life's and psychopaths.

I'm joking, but really...seeing carts next to the corral is a huge pet peeve of mine. Even when we lived in Seattle and it rained 10 months a year, people still returned their carts.

I wonder if people are reasonably good about returning carts in Seattle simply because it rains 10 months a year. It's rarely a hard rain, so people won't get that wet returning the cart. It's almost never too hot to leave the kids in the car, and there's pretty much never snow on the ground to make driving the cart difficult. So maybe it's just easier to return it when you don't have to worry about kids roasting in a vehicle or slipping and sliding all over the frozen slush?

This is the situation I'd run into. When I had my third, they were ages 3, 1 and infant. My eldest could get out of her 5 point car seat if she wanted and I didn't trust her alone with the others, not to mention being able to reach them even when buckled in. If the corral was within a reasonable distance, then yes I'd put it away and I always tried to get the closest spot to it. 

In that situation, I would use a lightweight umbrella stroller for the younger two - throw it into the cart before your walk to the cart area, then push them back with one hand whilst holding the older one's hand.

I think that if you grow up with cars, it might be hard to see solutions that don't involve them.  My mother didn't drive when I was small, and we managed all kinds of operations without a car.  I didn't own a car for the first twelve years of Calvin's life - one learns tricks.

L

In that situation, I would use a lightweight umbrella stroller for the younger two - throw it into the cart before your walk to the cart area, then push them back with one hand whilst holding the older one's hand.

I think that if you grow up with cars, it might be hard to see solutions that don't involve them.  My mother didn't drive when I was small, and we managed all kinds of operations without a car.  I didn't own a car for the first twelve years of Calvin's life - one learns tricks.

L

Push a double umbrella stroller with one hand? Apparently you've never owned one. And a newborn in an umbrella stroller? Trust me, I've managed plenty of situations with 3 little ones. I'm done arguing about it; there are so many more issues in this world to worry about than bickering over putting shopping carts in a corral.  

One time I was putting my cart in the corral, when another cart I had not even touched started rolling away down the slight incline. I ran after it but did not catch it before it hit a lady's nice black SUV while she was putting groceries in. You should have seen her glaring at me while checking her car for scratches. Thankfully there didn't seem to be damage, but if there was I wonder if she would have tried to make me pay for it? Since then I have learned to never put my carts in the corral, I just find some isolated corner to put my cart in. I also feel that it helps all those employees keep their jobs when there are a lot of carts in different places and they can put in more hours collecting them and putting them away.

( sorry, I was just kidding. Usually I park near a corral to make it easy to put the cart away. I was just hoping someone would post some kilt pictures. I was also curious whether anyone would read this far and I would start getting hate mail. Yes, I am bored this morning. I think I'll go make some cupcakes.)

Push a double umbrella stroller with one hand? Apparently you've never owned one. And a newborn in an umbrella stroller? Trust me, I've managed plenty of situations with 3 little ones. I'm done arguing about it; there are so many more issues in this world to worry about than bickering over putting shopping carts in a corral.  

The stroller folds. I assume it's folded in your car. Unload the groceries. Put the folded stroller in the cart. Go to corral. Remove stroller and unfold. Put two children in stroller. Put infant in wrap thingy so two hands free. Push stroller to car.

The stroller folds. I assume it's folded in your car. Unload the groceries. Put the folded stroller in the cart. Go to corral. Remove stroller and unfold. Put two children in stroller. Put infant in wrap thingy so two hands free. Push stroller to car.

Wasn't really asking for a step by step process, my kids are all elementary age now, but thanks.  ;)

You're right - I misspoke.  I'd have the newborn in a sling and the older two in an umbrella stroller.

See you around.

L

Ok. so seriously..if your store doesn't have a parking spot near the cart corral (my local one almost never does..if it does I do always always park near it), what do you do with your kids while you return the cart? (assuming toddlers/too young to walk). Some say they lock the car and leave them there? In the heat? It makes me so nervous...DH actually pleaded with me not to do it, it scares him that much. 

I open the doors to my van as soon as my clicker gets in range, my two bigger ones crawl in the car and get in their seats, I put the littlest one in her seat.  I turn on the car if it's hot, strap P in, close the van doors and throw the groceries in the trunk.  I grab my keys and lock them in with the clicker (always, always so there is no chance they can be locked in), and return the cart.  It takes 20 seconds, max, and I shop at Aldi where you have to walk the cart back to the door.  The only place I leave the cart in the parking lot is Hobby Lobby, but this is their fault because they do not have a cart corral, you have to walk all the way back in the store.  I don't think anyone is going to overheat in 20 seconds, especially if I have already cooled the car down while putting the groceries in.  

I think in this sort of situation I would rather accept their offer of help out to my car, so the person who comes out to help me can deal with the cart. That is why they ask if you need help. I think I asked for help only a couple times when I had a toddler and a baby in a sling, I generally think it's silly but if you need help ask.

:lurk5: I should have just stayed out of this thread all together but now I can't stop reading. Keep it coming people.  P.S.  I have to go grocery shopping today with 3 kids under 5 and its really cold and windy.  I think I'll leave my cart in the middle of the road just to watch cars try to drive around it

any of you remember when some areas tried charging to use public bathrooms?  I believe it was a dime and you had to put it in a slot in the stall door and then the door could be opened.  I refused to pay that dime, rebel that I am.  I would go under the door of the stall in order not to pay that dime and I was not the only one that did that.  It was not the dime, it was the principle of the thing.

I remember this. I also remember getting myself locked into one at some seedy gas station off I-95 while on a road trip with two older cousins...and my one cousin dragging his feet and bickering at me through the locked door for what seemed like *forever* before he would give up a darn dime to get me out. :laugh:

Not that long ago I was sitting in my parked car, getting ready to go into some store, when the person parked in front of me (our cars were facing each other) came back to their car with their cart. She looked right at me, then made a little "oopsie" face and shrugged as she pushed her cart right up against my car and started to get back into hers to leave. I was momentarily speechless, but I did regain my voice in time to make sure Princess Shopping Cart got her butt right back out and pushed her cart back to the store. :huh:  I mean, really?

This is the situation I'd run into. When I had my third, they were ages 3, 1 and infant. My eldest could get out of her 5 point car seat if she wanted and I didn't trust her alone with the others, not to mention being able to reach them even when buckled in. If the corral was within a reasonable distance, then yes I'd put it away and I always tried to get the closest spot to it. 

Okay, you get a pass, I wouldn't hate you for not putting your cart away :).  But I think you are one of only 7 people in the US who currently can use this excuse.

any of you remember when some areas tried charging to use public bathrooms?  I believe it was a dime and you had to put it in a slot in the stall door and then the door could be opened.  I refused to pay that dime, rebel that I am.  I would go under the door of the stall in order not to pay that dime and I was not the only one that did that.  It was not the dime, it was the principle of the thing.

Principle ok, but you crawled on the floor of the bathroom. Where little boys who go to the ladies with their mums have piddled. I'd pee on the side of the road first. I'd look for a place shielded from public view and squat.

It's been many years since I was a world traveler, but every other place I've been some payment for public toilets is expected.

When I had five children age 4 and under, I still managed to always put my cart(s) away. I parked near corrals to make it easier to supervise the dc while I returned the cart. People often offered to help when they saw how full my hands were.

You can also ask for an employee to help you take your groceries/purchases out to your car. Usually they are more than happy to find someone to help out.

Hilarious thread. Who knew people have such strong feelings about carts.

Our local store doesn't have cart returns anywhere but at the front of the store. However they hire two workers who do nothing but  pick up and clean carts along with hold an umbrella for customers as it rains. They don't take your groceries out and unload but will if requested usually. FYI, this store has a cart cleaner that looks like a small car wash which they push each cart through as they bring it to the front. Supposedly it sterilizes it. My hometown, really small, still has bag boys. While paying, they are bagging your groceries and loading them on  their carts. Their carts are different than customers, with two levels but can be tilted back like a dolly. Not sure why that is important but wanted to toss out that nugget of info. :lol:  Anyway, as soon as you are finished paying they walk you to the car to unload. Always followed by a "Thank you, M'am/Sir" "Please come again soon." (Yes it is deep south where we use M'am/Sir and I love it. Oh, Lawd what am I doing????another hot topic.) Many times when I am back home I forget and start throwing my bags into my buggy before the bag boy gets a chance. Every time they inform me it is their priveledge to take my groceries for me. I love this! Customer service means so much to me. While this is a small store compared to bigger markets in large cities, it gets quite busy as it is the only store nearby. This solves the cart delima as the regular carts never leave the store and therefore end up fodder for board debates. :hurray:

When mine were little I'd leave them in the cart while I unloaded the groceries into the trunk. Then I took them in the cart back to the corral, unloaded the dc from the cart and walked them to the car. But I've only had 2 littles at a time and it was manageable for me.

I always go shopping early, so parking isn't an issue.  I did that even when the boys were little, 'cause they were always up at the crack of dawn anyway.  The rare times I had to go during the busy part of the day and couldn't get a close-to-the-corral parking spot, I'd unload the groceries while youngest stayed in the cart and oldest stood right next to it.  Then we walked to the corral, put the cart up and I carried youngest back to the car.  Granted I only had two to deal with.

I'm realizing my issue may be that my littles are escape artists. I have to have a hand on them pretty much the whole time they are in the cart. If I turn my back to load the groceries they will try to dive bomb the concrete. Even strapped in. (do those seatbelts work on other people's kids? Cause they don't on mine. At ALL.). I think I'm just in "that phase" where for the last 3 years I've had one or more mobile climbing fools. Once the littlest is old enough to sit still for a few minutes while I load the car, without possibly breaking himself trying to fly out of the cart, I will be back to returning carts. I promise :)

No, seriously.

If you are struggling that hard empty the cart, grab the stroller and put the stroller in the cart when you wheel everyone back to the corral. Then put kids in stroller and wheel back to car.

OR Leave the cart in front of the store. Take kids to car. Drive back to front of store and load car.

It's truly not that hard. If it's so scary I don't know how you leave the house with the children at all.

I think you were missing my questions. I can't leave the kids in the cart while I unload, they will very likely escape while my back is turned. At least, at this point the 1 year old will, and when she was that age DD did the same. My kids are fearless and escape artists...the straps have no meaning to them, and my 1 year old has a cast right now from not realizing gravity applies to him. So I would have to put the kids in the car, buckle them in, then put them back in the cart, then return the cart. I can get them fromt he corral to my car, it was the part before that I'm confused by. 

I love the idea of driving back and loading up right by the door, but I don't think my store would go for that, I'd be blocking to much pedestrian traffic. And the carts don't go right there, I'd still have to turn my back on my kids in the car to put it away. 

That's what my husband asked me not to do, leave them in the car while I walk away. I worry about the heat, he worries about them being abducted or something. He is a security expert and that tends to make him a bit..paranoid...cautious..howeve you want to describe it. He has a hard time leaving that outlook at the job. 

Toddlers strapped into the cart while you unload - baby in sling on your chest.  Older child holding onto cart.  Unload cart into car.  Lock car.  Walk with children to cart area.  Leave cart.  Walk back.

Yes, I did it in Hong Kong.  In the heat and humidity.  It's not hard.

L

It's the "toddler strapped into the cart" part that I'm struggling with...I don't trust him to sit still while I load the groceries, and I can't keep a hand on him and unload based on how the parking lots usually are. I'm going to just chalk this up to a very short phase in life. And be careful that I leave the carts where they can't roll into another car, if I do leave them. 

I swear I put the cart back today, when I shopped. I was able to park close enough to keep an eye on the locked car while I returned the cart. Still made me nervous leaving them though.

Ok..so here is where I'm at...and I realize it is NUTS. At publix, if I want them to, the baggers will walk my cart out to the car, and unload the groceries for me, and then take the cart back themselves. I usually say no, because 1. I don't trust my kid not to jump out of the cart while the bagger pushes it, and 2. it seems silly to have them spend all that time pushing and unloading and such when I can do all that myself. But..y'all are making me feel like it is better to have them do that and then take my cart back than to unload it myself, and then they just need to collect the cart when they do a general "cart corral". Is that right? Most of the carts are plastic in my area, and the ground is flat, so I never really worried too much about car damage, but I guess you are all teaching me that it really is a bigger problem than I realized. As for the "work" the cart person has to do to go find and get the cart, I've done that as part of my job before and it was always the BEST part of the job. It got you out from under the boss's scrutiney for a bit, you could walk slowly and take a breather, get a change of scenery, etc. So that experience may factor into my habits as well. I never felt "badly" about leaving the cart, because in my experience collecting them was a good thing, not a chore, and I've never had any damage from one to my car, so didn't really even think about that. And again, no hills :)

This is not a problem in places like Germany. You have to put a coin into a slot to get a cart, then you have to plug the cart back in to get your coin back. Even when people are too lazy/busy/distracted to do it themselves, someone else will do it to get the coin. Granted, we would need to switch to dollar coins to start with, but I think it is a better motivator than shame.

I'm realizing my issue may be that my littles are escape artists. I have to have a hand on them pretty much the whole time they are in the cart. If I turn my back to load the groceries they will try to dive bomb the concrete. Even strapped in. (do those seatbelts work on other people's kids? Cause they don't on mine. At ALL.). I think I'm just in "that phase" where for the last 3 years I've had one or more mobile climbing fools. Once the littlest is old enough to sit still for a few minutes while I load the car, without possibly breaking himself trying to fly out of the cart, I will be back to returning carts. I promise :)

The funny thing is, when my boys were little they never tried to escape the shopping cart but *always* climbed out of the stroller. Yes, they were strapped in. Those straps don't really work when a kid is determined to escape.

Apparently the new generation has this idea that you can tear off the bottom and make a sandwich with the icing in the middle.  It's Butter Battle all over again.

That's exactly how cupcakes are meant to be eaten.  Anyone who does it any other way is just plain wrong and setting a poor example for children everywhere.

P.S.  I don't even like cupcakes.  

Okay, definitely a strange thread😄

But I HATE carts left out...and my biggest pet peeve is that they often get shoved into the blue HC spaces...maybe because people feel like if they at least get them headed toward the store or corral it is better than nothing?

I can't tell you the number of times I have had to park waaay out (I am in a wheelchair) because of carts.

And the yellow cross hatches next to the HC spot is NOT a designated cart hangout, lol! I have a ramp that folds out, which means I cannot get in or out of the van if a cart (or several carts!) get left there.

Lol! I did this the other day. A young man shoved his cart in the general vicinity of the corral, where it bumped the side and rolled into a parking spot. He started to just walk off! I was rolling past him and said, 'oh, let me get that for you' and sort of hooked it with the front of my chair, pushing it in front of me....at least he looked a bit embarrassed, and his mother looked less than happy as he climbed in the car:)

Good for you! I once watched an apparently able-bodied woman at the Walmart actually choose to walk 3 spaces to put her cart in a handicapped spot rather than walk *the exact same three spaces in the other direction* to put her cart in the return. Weather was beautiful, no children with her, etc, etc. When I walked over and commented that I was sure the next person in a wheelchair would be happy to get out of their car, move the cart, get back in their car and park, she wouldn't meet my eyes and drove off quickly. It's a huge pet peeve of mine, so we do our best to grab any we see in handicapped spots and either return them to the store or put them in a corral.

When my daughter was small, I was much happier to park beside the cart return, even if it was halfway across the lot, than in the "parent with child"  slots near the door. The return was a bigger help. One of our stores got smart and made the ones by the returns "parent with child only."

Another cart peeve is the person who unloads her cart from the front onto the register belt, pays, then walks off leaving the cart sitting there with people in line behind it. Had this happen more than once, but much less frequently than the above.

Ok. so seriously..if your store doesn't have a parking spot near the cart corral (my local one almost never does..if it does I do always always park near it), what do you do with your kids while you return the cart? (assuming toddlers/too young to walk). Some say they lock the car and leave them there? In the heat? It makes me so nervous...DH actually pleaded with me not to do it, it scares him that much.

How large are these parking lots that you are worried about the kids in the heat in the car? Not being snarky at all... I live in central Florida so I know heat, but it takes like 10-20 seconds to drop off the cart in the cart corral. Just wondering if we are over worrying here? :)

Jodie

I object, Your Honor!

According to the witness, the frosting is The Point. Therefore, the detail would be the cake. I move to have her entire testimony stricken, along with all of the horrible frosting.

The witness pleads leniency; all the bad booze floating around the jargon thread has impaired her ability to reason.

No.

Wait.

That was not the cheap booze, it was her children slowly sucking her brain power.

Parental brain drain, the real downside of homeschooling. All the socialization haters have no idea where the real argument against home education lies!

Let's get real, everyone knows a cupcake is nothing more than a frosting delivery device.

Quit pretending anyone cares about the bottom third.

Some people are misguided enough to totally mess up the proportions and go with only 1/3 frosting (or even less!!! :svengo:) and 2/3 cake.

That, my friend, is frightening. :eek:

I blame it on our faulty public education system.

How large are these parking lots that you are worried about the kids in the heat in the car? Not being snarky at all... I live in central Florida so I know heat, but it takes like 10-20 seconds to drop off the cart in the cart corral. Just wondering if we are over worrying here? :)

Jodie

cruddy walmart parking lot usually, so HUGE..it's the closest store to me and the one I most often leave a cart at. Publix I usually don't put it back either, but have lucked out with having a bagger usually around somewhere that will see me finishing up and grab it. The one publix does have a lot of cart corrals, but the one I shop at the most has one every other aisle, and a crowded/big lot. REally, although I hate leaving them in the heat due to heat rash issues, the bigger fear is leaving them in a car by themselves out of my sight. Maybe I'm being paranoid. (I blame DH. Before I married a security professional I didn't even lock my house up when I was gone...)

Well, it just doesn't take that much time to walk 10-15 steps max (for me) to return the cart and go back to the car. How far apart are the corrals where you live? I strap the younger kids in their seats, unload the groceries, & return the cart. (This assumes my older kids aren't with me; then they're responsible for all cart returning.)

I live in Central TX. knhlhkh. kkmkjknjnjnkjknjjnjlnjjknjkknjnjn

That's exactly how cupcakes are meant to be eaten.  Anyone who does it any other way is just plain wrong and setting a poor example for children everywhere.

P.S.  I don't even like cupcakes.  

Let's get real, everyone knows a cupcake is nothing more than a frosting delivery device.

Quit pretending anyone cares about the bottom third.

Wait! Not yet.  I'm still trying to design a cupcake cannon.