Menu

What Craft/Hobby Thing are you doing this week? week 12

PrincessMommy

Hello everyone... We're at Week 12 already!  Halloween is right around the corner and then before we know it it will be Christmas!  I'm not ready.

I spent yesterday sewing satin trimming on two blankets.  The first one is more a mini-blanket for my grandson.  It's one he can hold and gum (he's  teething).  The pink is for our soon-to-be-born grand-niece and is larger - about 32"x40"  I'm hoping to mail it off tomorrow.

10390854036_1531a44f69_n.jpg     10390996413_92080491d1_n.jpg

I also finally, finally!!! pulled off those three scarves I've been working on.  The variegated one is for my new daughter-in-law.  The other two are for dd's friends.  Now I need to warp for another three (dd has 5 friends she asked me to weave for!).  I agreed to do this back in Feb or March, so only have myself to blame for all this procrastinating. 

10393081753_46ca7cb0e3.jpg

still working little xmas gifts....I decided to focus on a hooded scarf for myself to give me more time to think/look for supplies for my purses I've made (looking for straps/handles)-the store I went to doesn't carry them anymore so I need to find a supplier online...

What a bother about the straps and handles. 

Socks, socks, socks. Finished my gift pair last week and started a pair for dh.

Debbi, your post about beeswax from last week's thread made me think of these lotion bars. Since you already make soap I thought these might be right up your alley. I haven't tried them so I can't say how well they work out. I do wonder though, since they're just oil and beeswax, if they'd be greasy or leave stains on clothing.

Still working on my cardigan. Back and left front are done. I need to mark where I want the buttons before I start the right front. 

The brimmed earflap hat for dd (in Gryffindor colors) is almost done. I'll post a pic when it is. There should be enough yarn left to make matching lined mittens, as well. 

Love those scarves!

I finished Rebecca's gloves and started on a thick bed sock for DH.  It's a fairly simple pattern, so I hope I don't get sock boredom.

Have any of you knitted socks from a pattern  that said to use larger needles for the upper part of the leg and smaller needles for the lower part and foot?  Mine does, but it never says when to switch.  Any ideas?

Socks, socks, socks. Finished my gift pair last week and started a pair for dh.

Debbi, your post about beeswax from last week's thread made me think of these lotion bars. Since you already make soap I thought these might be right up your alley. I haven't tried them so I can't say how well they work out. I do wonder though, since they're just oil and beeswax, if they'd be greasy or leave stains on clothing.

Thanks, I should ask a friend of mine who has used beeswax from her hives in her soap before too.

Here are last week's costumes.  I made the Maleficent dress/robe (purchased headpiece), plus the turtle's hoodie, leggings, and tummy piece.  Someone else made the fiberglass turtle shell.  The musical was The Legend of Sleeping Beauty -- four performances over the weekend.

]10422272626_38139996cb_m.jpg      10422393213_d7be5da6ae_m.jpg 10422245676_514f13c0b2_m.jpg

Right now I should be working on sashes for ancient Egyptian soldiers for a modern dance number, as well as Figaro's tail and spats for Pinocchio ballet.  A friend asked me to help dress her son as Ash Ketchum for Halloween, so that will be later this week.

Here are last week's costumes.  I made the Maleficent dress/robe (purchased headpiece), plus the turtle's hoodie, leggings, and tummy piece.  Someone else made the fiberglass turtle shell.  The musical was The Legend of Sleeping Beauty -- four performances over the weekend.

]10422272626_38139996cb_m.jpg      10422393213_d7be5da6ae_m.jpg 10422245676_514f13c0b2_m.jpg

Right now I should be working on sashes for ancient Egyptian soldiers for a modern dance number, as well as Figaro's tail and spats for Pinocchio ballet.  A friend asked me to help dress her son as Ash Ketchum for Halloween, so that will be later this week.

Amazing work, Gail!

A recent PieceWork magazine has a simple pattern for beaded cuffs.  I have never tried a knitting project that incorporates beads.  This one looks great for a beginner.

ep6581.jpg

I am going to start stringing beads today!

Guest inoubliable

Just popping in to see what everyone is up to. I've just recently started embroidering again. My old eyes aren't very happy with that so I've been mostly playing around with my own designs. My two littlest boys are experimenting with embroidering some of their own designs too. We're working on some autumn themed designs on linen napkins - pumpkins, squash, fall leaves. 

I have seriously bitten off more than I can chew with DH's pirate shirt.  The instructions are just not very clear or I am an idiot.  It is probably a little bit of both.  I have already had to fudge a part completely and I fear more fudging is in  my future.  I am just gonna keep trudging along and hope it turns into something by the time I am done.

I've sure missed participating in these threads!!!  I did more back when Jane or Rosie was doing them - glad to see that the threads continue!

I made this bag recently - it's upcycled linen lined with cotton.  I decorated it with pieces of batik cotton, silk, and sequins.

EDIT:  I can't seem to attach it - here's a link:

http://colleensharpe.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/100_2671.jpg

Colleen and KK - welcome!    Colleen I love the bag - especially the additions to it.   KK - please share some photos of your progress when you can.

Jane - those cards are great!!  but, I'm wondering how you took such a great photo.  My photos of my work always come out so badly.  Either their overexposed or otherwise look terrible in the picture.

Sis - what kind of games to they play?  Dice bag sounds simple too.

I've been busy trying to get another baby blanket on the loom for my other niece (due in Nov.).   It's going slow because i have to keep a much closer eye on the pattern than usual.  I'm about 1/2 way done with that part.

Jane - those cards are great!!  but, I'm wondering how you took such a great photo.  My photos of my work always come out so badly.  Either their overexposed or otherwise look terrible in the picture.

The secret of my photography success is my Dear Husband who recommends natural light and either high ISO or a tripod. 

Sis - what kind of games to they play?  Dice bag sounds simple too.

They play tabletop RPGs. I just crochet a circle then pick  up the outside loops on my knitting needles and knit a tube. I leave some holes for a drawstring and then I felt it. It's pretty easy. :) It is a mindless thing I can work on while watching my tv shows.

Guest inoubliable

They play tabletop RPGs. I just crochet a circle then pick  up the outside loops on my knitting needles and knit a tube. I leave some holes for a drawstring and then I felt it. It's pretty easy. :) It is a mindless thing I can work on while watching my tv shows.

What a great idea! My boys play a tabletop game (HeroClix) and they have a TON of Gogos. I may have to figure out a way to make something similar. Unless you sell these somewhere.....  :leaving:

What a great idea! My boys play a tabletop game (HeroClix) and they have a TON of Gogos. I may have to figure out a way to make something similar. Unless you sell these somewhere.....  :leaving:

If I was charging someone   it would probably end up being a bit higher than I would probably want to pay if I was going to buy a bag. Since it has to be wool that would affect things. They knit up pretty quick, I make one in an evening. Since they are being felted you can use bigger needles and just speed through it.

I'm knitting one of those Noro scarves using two self striping yarns, so both yarns are changing color all along the length of the scarf. I'll try to post a photo.

make sure you change the sizing.  i have a Flickr account and this is what I do.

I click on the photo.

Then at the bottom right hand of the photo you'll see three dots...click on that and a window will pop up

choose "view all sizes"

I usually choose "Medium 500" or "Small 320" - whichever doesn't seem to big, depending on what I'm sharing. (500 is the max this site will allow).

Then copy the url.

Come back here into the thread.  Click on the little image icon.  paste the url there and you should be good to go!

Thank you for the detailed instructions, PrincessMommy!  I couldn't figure out how to do it on my iPad (couldn't see the icons above the reply window) but I'm trying it on my desk top.

The pattern is the Noro Scarf by Jared...Flood I think his name is, from ravelry.com.  I used Wisdom's Poems yarn in two different color variations. Yay, it worked!

10561205963_4b612a8368_n.jpg

Thank you for the detailed instructions, PrincessMommy!  I couldn't figure out how to do it on my iPad (couldn't see the icons above the reply window) but I'm trying it on my desk top.

The pattern is the Noro Scarf by Jared...Flood I think his name is, from ravelry.com.  I used Wisdom's Poems yarn in two different color variations. Yay, it worked!

10561205963_4b612a8368_n.jpg

Very pretty!

Holy cow, you guys are talented!

GailV, those are amazing costumes.  I have a degree in theatrical design (and English) and have worked on many, many shows and know how much work they are!  You've done a great job.

My mom is participating in a holiday parade of homes and asked me to help her out (despite that face that I'm 2700 miles away!).  She's not good with decorating (why did she agree to participate?), and I've been busy making stuff.  Each room has to have a theme, which she asked me to come up with.  The DR is tea party, LR is traditional, Kitchen is old country, MB is sugar plum fairy, Guest bed 1 is old word Santa, Guest bed 2 is candy land, the study is Alabama Crimson Tide (my mom is a huge football fan) and the sunroom is nautical.  Fortunately, the bathrooms and halls don't need a theme!  They are flying me in for a long weekend (James Bond will stay home with the boys), to do the bulk of the decorating.  

I made a ton of cardboard gingerbread men (these are only a few):

photo-11_zpsf9f2e798.jpg

I've finished the snowflakes for these (though mine are fairies instead of dancers):

a65ac533987bed25257f1f3f669ca074-1_zps6c

I'm going to lightly glitter the wings and snowflakes.  I still have to finish cutting out the fairies.

I've got several of these done:

91335df2d3c1a9444296eae6eef7689a_zpsd083

I used plastic ornaments.

And I have to work on these:

740f8e04dde3e46922d0cd0cc691088e_zps897d

PrairieSong - love the scarf and I love Noro yarn too.

Mominhh- I especially love the snowflake ideas.  I couldn't find the directions via the link on the photo.

You can find the info here. You have to fold the paper the way they show to make the snowflakes, but a lot of their patterns don't line up exactly, so my snowflakes are slightly different.  I pulled some ballerina outlines on Pinterest and printed them out.  Before I cut them, I drew wings.  I cut them from the printer paper, traced them onto white poster board and cut them out.  I haven't started glittering yet, as I want to do all the glittering at once.  I hate glitter!  It's the herpes of craft supplies.  You can never get rid of it!

You guys are incredibly talented! I wish I had a tardis so I could pop over and take some lessons from some of you!

My DD was visiting last week, so I finished up her aghan I have been wroking on for months. I was thrilled I got it done the night before she got here. As I was folding it up, I realized that it finished up 10 stitches narrower than when I started! You would think I would have noticed that. I was so upset. Instead of sending it home to have her unwrap it at Chrismtas, I gave it to her so she could leave it here for me to fix. She cried because she loved it. COlors are perfect for her living room. She is going to keep it the way it is. Sigh.

this week I am working cloth boxes that I will put some napkins in for 2 weddings I have next month.

I have sewn up 2 Pul fabric bibs with sleeves and have a few more cut out I hope to finish up tomorrow.

Nothing stellar going on here.

I'm working to finish a thread-crocheted tree skirt that goes with my "theme" snowflake tree.  My goal is to finish by thanksgiving, and it's doable, provided I give it my time.  I have just over three 'full' rows and the main body will be done, then it's just the six finish scallop sections left.

tonight - I worked on dudeling's Halloween costume.  he decided to be a minecraft quantum armor.  much easier, and less unwieldy than the "tank" he originally wanted to be.

10582995486_64b6453bfd_n.jpg

Finished trimming the fringe on this scarf this morning.

nice job.  It looks woven... is it?   I can't remember who else is a weaver here.

Sis - I would be SO sad if something like that happened to me.  

Katie - isn't it's nice to finally have those long-time projects done.  woohoo!

FriedClams - going to check out your blog!