Menu

Traditional Baptist churches===are there any left out there?

Ottakee

We attended what would have been termed a traditional Baptist church for the past 27 years. The kind where most people dressed up for church (not fancy but not shorts and flip flops either, dresses were common but pants OK for women too), where they have Sunday school for all ages with a morning AND an evening worship service and a mid week Prayer meeting/kid's activities/youth group, etc. One where hymns are the main music and piano and organ are the main instruments. The kind that has a church choir.

That church is rapidly changing to more contemporary music, much more relaxed dress, not a preaching Sunday evening, Sunday School has been dropped, Wednesday night services are only kids program, etc.

I know that some people prefer more contemporary services and I honestly think that most of those are OK (as long as the Bible is preached without compromise) but personally I prefer more of a traditional worship style.

In order to find one we have to travel almost 1/2 hour...........and we live in West Michigan where there are churches on almost every street corner---and some corners even have 2 churches on them.

Does anyone else morn the loss of hymn singing and traditional style worship and preaching?

They're still around.  They tend to be harder to find because they don't always have a web presence or are listed in the phone book under their name instead of in the yellow pages.  Some churches with contemporary music also have a more traditional service with hymns. 

Kahua Baptist in Kapolei, Hawaii. It's about as Baptist as they come. Complete with a pastor's wife who plays the piano - mostly hymns! It's Hawaii so you might see some congregants shorts and flip-flops (slippas) but, gosh darn it, Pastor wears an suit and tie and all the ladies involved in the service wear skirts! (Even for Vacation Bible School)

BigMamaBird---pm me the info on that church if you can.

The hardest part is that we would like the church to be local so that we can invite friends and neighbors and others in the community. Hard to be as involved the farther away you live.

They're still around.  They tend to be harder to find because they don't always have a web presence or are listed in the phone book under their name instead of in the yellow pages.  Some churches with contemporary music also have a more traditional service with hymns. 

All businesses, including churches, are listed in both the white pages and the yellow pages. The tricky part about finding something in the yellow pages is knowing for certainty which category it is listed under. It's why I always suggest that if people know the name of something they look in the white pages first. Of course, some businesses have official names that many people don't know or haven't noticed are written on signs, such as "Romano's Macaroni Grill." We see "Macaroni Grill" and don't notice "Romano's," so we can't find the thing, lol.

The church we attend here in FL fits that description. They are getting hard to find. Some churches have gone to having two Sunday morning services -- one traditional and one contemporary. The problem I see with that arrangement is that it tends to divide the younger crowd from the older worshipers. How can the younger Christians learn from the wisdom and experience of the older ones if they are never together? As someone earlier said, Independent Fundamental Baptist churches are usually very traditional, but some can be very legalistic.

If you get a lead on one in your state that is too far away call and talk with the pastor. He may be able to refer you to something in your community. I don't think driving 1/2 hour for a church you like is so unusual but it is more difficult.  :grouphug:

We have lived in this community for 40 years so we do know what is "out there". The problem is that most of the traditional Baptist churches are becoming very contemporary in their worship style and sadly many are becoming very liberal with their Bible teaching. There are TONS of Christian Reformed and Reformed Churches around as well but again so many are becoming much more contemporary----from the Psalter hymnal to all praise songs in just a few years time. We just aren't doctrinally in agreement with the Calvanists, etc. so those aren't a good fit.

We are pretty happy with where we have been attending lately except I really would love more hymns. I just don't want my kids (or any kids) to miss out on some of the great old hymns.......Amazing Grace, Holy Holy Holy, Victory in Jesus, Because He Lives, etc.

We have lived in this community for 40 years so we do know what is "out there". The problem is that most of the traditional Baptist churches are becoming very contemporary in their worship style and sadly many are becoming very liberal with their Bible teaching. There are TONS of Christian Reformed and Reformed Churches around as well but again so many are becoming much more contemporary----from the Psalter hymnal to all praise songs in just a few years time. We just aren't doctrinally in agreement with the Calvanists, etc. so those aren't a good fit.

We are pretty happy with where we have been attending lately except I really would love more hymns. I just don't want my kids (or any kids) to miss out on some of the great old hymns.......Amazing Grace, Holy Holy Holy, Victory in Jesus, Because He Lives, etc.

Could you make a request to the choir director or whoever organizes the music of where you worship now?

Our Pastor's wife has had a request from a church member for some specific hymns, and she has made efforts to accommodate that request.  We are a Southern Baptist and we have a couple hymns and more contemporary pieces every week. We have both a praise team and a choir. The blend works well.

There seem to be several things you are concerned about. Some of them will be easy to find, but others are less common now.

Society in general has become more casual, and since most churches do not implement a dress code, I think you will find the trend toward more casual dress everywhere.

Music is also challenging because hymns are already modern in comparison to Christian history.  How are they to be theologically distinguished from somewhat more recent music and instrumentation?

Many, many, (maybe most) churches continue to have Sunday School and Wednesday night prayer meeting. Sunday evening services becoming rarer though.

Best wishes to you in your church home search!

My parents church - rural NC

we went last weekend for Homecoming - the church was celebrating its 125 anniversary.

I miss this type of service - my kids were amazed that I knew all the words to all the hymns without looking in the book.  :)

some things you never forget

and in case you are wondering - they have a young (30ish) pastor - and the first prayer was lead by a missionary in Africa via Skype.  

so they aren't stuck in the past - they are embracing their heritage and customs. I loved it.

Nice to hear that there are some still out there. I am not anti technology or modern stuff at all. I just don't want to lose some of the older traditional stuff either. I don't want church to become so much like any other group get together that you can't even tell the difference.