Menu

Not sure what to do!!! Feel like giving up!!!

I have to say that dd13 may be the death of me this year! She just does not want to do anything! It doesn't matter if it is Algebra or Art she complains about it! It is a constant battle and frankly, I am not sure I can go through it another year! I actually called dh yesterday in tears telling him that I just did not want to do this anymore! The stress level in this house is ridiculous. To top it off dd10 has to sit there and listen to us argue all day! I have tried punishing her, talking to her, you name it and nothing seems to work. Going to PS is not an option as dh will not even consider it. We can not afford a private school so I am stuck! I have seriously thought about getting a program like BJU or Abeka video just so I dont have to be the teacher. Please give me some advice. I feel like I am sinking and I really am losing any desire or drive to teach them.

:grouphug:

You might want to try DVDs with your husband correcting the homework and dealing with her for a few subjects and see if that helps.

Some possible ones:  either cover story or one year adventure novel if she is creative for writing or IEW if she is more factual.

If you do Latin, I really like the Latin Alive DVDs.

I would not argue.  I would help for a set period of time and then she goes to her room, the rest is homework to be handed in to dad when he gets home.  Of course, my oldest is only 11 so this is mostly theoretical, although I have added a bit of DVDs this year and last.  Hopefully people with actual teen girls who have survived them will chime in soon!

Going to PS is not an option as dh will not even consider it. We can not afford a private school so I am stuck!

This is not a good position to be in. I think since you are the person responsible for homeschooling, you can make the decision to put your child in school. If your dh wants homeschooling to continue, than he can do the homeschooling.

:grouphug:

Susan in TX

At 13, assuming she doesn't have any learning challenges, she can do most of the  educating herself.  Can you assign work (whether she's contributed to selecting the curriculum or not) for a week with a HARD deadline and list of consequences if that deadline isn't met?  Maybe she's ready for some independence right now.  Select materials that can be easily divided into weeks and can be easily checked by you when the deadline comes. She can ask you for help if she's stuck, but she is free to choose what order to do things in as long as she's schooling during your school hours and meets her deadline.  It's like college. Most homeschoolers should be moving toward that as their kids become teens anyway. We've done it and it's quite a relief.

What does she say about her attitude and behavior?  Is this new behavior on her part or has she always approached her schoolwork this way?  Does she only act this way with her schoolwork or does she act this way about everything?

Anne

Well, here are a few points. She hates the idea of being independent. She does not like having to do anything on her own! She would actually live up underneath me every second f her day if I let her. She has been this way all her life. Dont get me wrong, I am grateful she wants to spend time but it is really exhausting. Yes, she has always fought me on schoolwork. She just does not like school. Now she loves to read and would read constantly if I let her but hates everything else about school. I tried to give her a say so in some of her choices this year but she really didnt want anything! She doesnt want to do a textbook or workbook approach for things like history but she doesn't want to do the mapwork, timeline or projects if we use a different program. She literally DOES NOT LIKE ANYTHING!!!!

She is so smart and most things come easy to her but if something does require a bit of brain power she would rather give up than try. I was thinking maybe if I went with a DVD option and had Dad oversee the grades she might snap out of it and stop fighting me so bad. Either way I have to figure out a way to salvage this before it ruins our relationship.

Well, here are a few points. She hates the idea of being independent. She does not like having to do anything on her own! She would actually live up underneath me every second f her day if I let her. She has been this way all her life. Dont get me wrong, I am grateful she wants to spend time but it is really exhausting. Yes, she has always fought me on schoolwork. She just does not like school. Now she loves to read and would read constantly if I let her but hates everything else about school. I tried to give her a say so in some of her choices this year but she really didnt want anything! She doesnt want to do a textbook or workbook approach for things like history but she doesn't want to do the mapwork, timeline or projects if we use a different program. She literally DOES NOT LIKE ANYTHING!!!!

She is so smart and most things come easy to her but if something does require a bit of brain power she would rather give up than try. I was thinking maybe if I went with a DVD option and had Dad oversee the grades she might snap out of it and stop fighting me so bad. Either way I have to figure out a way to salvage this before it ruins our relationship.

Have you evaluated her for learning or attention difficulties? It sounds like output is an issue for her, and while she is smart and you perceive the work as not being difficult for her, there may be something getting in the way of producing work. 

Not an expert, but I wouldn't be quick to judge reluctance to produce academically as necessarily a character or attitude problem. Sometimes smart kids very smartness can make it difficult to see an underlying learning challenge. Are anxiety or perfectionism issues for her? That can also get in the way of production.

If it were me, I would start exploring some other explanations for her emotional state.  I suggest starting with Diane Craft who is a staple at many homeschool conventions.  She has all sorts of information about mood/behavioral issues and she has lots of information about right brained approaches to teaching.

If she doesn't even want to do art, could it be that there is something else bothering her? I know it sounds terribly obvious but have you sat down and had a good chat with her, asking her what's wrong? My sister went through a stage like this, and it ended up being more about hormones and a lack of friends than the schoolwork

You mention she likes reading, perhaps you could move towards a more charlotte mason approach, using books from http://www.amblesideonline.org/ . It might not be ideal, or fit your homeschooling philosophy, but something less than perfect which gets done is much better than something perfect which is not done, or is done to the detriment of relationships and lifestyle.

I think Dad also needs to get involved. If you could get her on a fairly self-sufficient, self-teaching schedule, and have him doing testing/marking, maybe that would help a lot. Dads tend to hold a different authority to Mums. And maybe she needs you to be less teacher and more mum right now.

Abba12, I will look into Ambleside. That might be just what we need at least for a bit.

We did have a long talk today and she told me she feels everything is so hard this year. I think she had gotten really defeated with the Algebra. She breezed through Lial's Pre-Algebra last year and was really looking forward to doing Algebra this year. Unfortunately it has not worked out for her yet. She is having a very hard time understanding the new concepts and I think it has her mentally defeated. I told her today that it is ok even if it takes her 8th and 9th grade to get through Algebra there is no rush but she has to at least try.

Abba12, I will look into Ambleside. That might be just what we need at least for a bit.

We did have a long talk today and she told me she feels everything is so hard this year. I think she had gotten really defeated with the Algebra. She breezed through Lial's Pre-Algebra last year and was really looking forward to doing Algebra this year. Unfortunately it has not worked out for her yet. She is having a very hard time understanding the new concepts and I think it has her mentally defeated. I told her today that it is ok even if it takes her 8th and 9th grade to get through Algebra there is no rush but she has to at least try.

I agree a CM approach is a good idea. For the Children's Sake is a great book. I also enjoyed Homeschooling: A Family's Journey, which is just a great homeschooling book, not CM.

She is 13, very young. She might need a tutor for math if she is doing it on her own, or maybe a gentler introduction would help. Have you looked at something like Teaching Textbooks? Or Math U See? My 16 yo loves MUS. Maybe if you lighten up a bit with a gentler math it would help get her interested again.

You said she loves to read. That is fantastic. Can you interest her in doing some projects related to the books she reads? They can be writing assignments, power points, whatever...

Just some random thoughts.

Best wishes!

I agree with trying a Charlotte Mason approach for a year. You could do SL for something guided or AO, or Simply Charlotte Mason. She loves to read. Let her read a lot for awhile.

For math, What about trying TT Algebra, this year, then if she loves TT you can stick with it. If she doesn't, but can survive with it, you could always repeat Algebra with Lial's or Foerster's next year. Once a child has been defeated by a math program, I think strong intervention is always required. It may be a tutor, an online teacher, supplementary video lessons or a complete change in curriculum, but there has to be something major changed in order to give them hope again. 

The idea of an independent curriculum (BJU or Abeka with online or video options for example) and answering to your dh might work, but she sounds like the type of kid that would be torture for. My dd hates independent work too. She is amazingly capable of it and it frustrates me, but she is an extrovert and really hates working alone. I really struggled with her for awhile too. I increased her time with me and our interactions and it has improved, but I never found a magic bullet.

hope you find an option......IMO I would take a break from things for a bit and see if  you could find another route like Ambelside or focus on something she does enjoy-let her read--and then maybe sit down with her when you do find something you think will work and explain what it expected and take it one step at a time......hope you find something that works......

My oldest was a walking ad for SL. If your dd likes historical fiction, if she can identify and empathize with characters from books, then SL will be fabulous for building connections to people and history. SL was never a good fit for my second who didn't like historical fiction, isn't empathetic, and doesn't naturally make connections. His best year ever was WinterPromise Sea & Sky. Ambleside Online can give some good direction about following CM and about literature-based learning. It also has an artist, composer, and Shakespeare rotation that can be used by the whole family and poet studies are included each year.

If writing is an issue, I would just let her talk to you about what she is reading. Maybe she could keep a notebook and just put in it whatever catches her eye. Ask her to do one page a day.

What I would spend money on is an online composition program. Let someone else grade her composition. A Write at Home mini-course?

Back off for a little and enjoy your 10yo. :)

Mandy

Khan Academy might help with this issue?

I am so sorry - this sounds so much like my oldest who is now in Community College and is doing well.

If I could go back I would have allowed her to unschool or do delight- directed learning along with a math program. You might want to extend more reading to your dd since she loves that so much. I was afraid to do this.

We came to the conclusion my dd wanted me to be mom only, not teacher. Things have improved 1000% since I am no longer homeschooling her. She began CC at 16. I was happy to see we had given her a foundation where she could begin to take college classes, but I wish our homeschool years had been easier.

Sorry I don't have a better response for you . . .

I am so sorry - this sounds so much like my oldest who is now in Community College and is doing well.

If I could go back I would have allowed her to unschool or do delight- directed learning along with a math program. You might want to extend more reading to your dd since she loves that so much. I was afraid to do this.

We came to the conclusion my dd wanted me to be mom only, not teacher. Things have improved 1000% since I am no longer homeschooling her. She began CC at 16. I was happy to see we had given her a foundation where she could begin to take college classes, but I wish our homeschool years had been easier.

Sorry I don't have a better response for you . . .

when we have struggles in our learning I am trying to be more like this-to allow more child-led learning.....why is it so hard/scary for us? LOL 

If she loves reading, what about Life of Fred for Algebra? You might even back off and do the Two Pre-Algebra books and then move into Algebra. My daughter, who loves to read and hated math, has done very well with these books. She took a practice Psat last year when she was half-way through Algebra and scored above average (I can't remember the exact number).

My husband did 3 different approaches to Algebra with my oldest.  Not every math book is a good fit for every child.

I didn't have my children transition to more independent work because it suited their personalities or preferences. I did it because they were at a stage in their personal development where they needed to start being more independent because it's important life skill. That doesn't mean they did everything independently-it's not an all or nothing deal.   As you get older you need to learn to be more independent.  Each child may be at a different age when they're ready to start being more independent, but they should all be doing that eventually whether they like it or not. It was also a stage in my homeschooling when my youngest simply needed more one on one than the older ones did, so from all angles it was the best choice for us at the time regardless of how each kid wanted to be doing school.  It's just life. We adapt to life, life doesn't adapt to us.

Is that what you should be doing now with your kids?  I have no idea, but it's something to think about separated from personal preferences.  Sometimes letting your kids pursue their interests is a great idea that pays big dividends.  Sometimes telling them to do what you decided they need to do on their own whether they like it or not is just what they need. Don't disregard it just because they complain loudly, cry or sulk.   My 17 year old recently wrote a long FB post apologizing to me for complaining about some of the things I made her do in school that she hated-now, at 17 and in community college,  she's really glad I made her do them anyway.

Amongst all of this, the age is a factor, but you never mentioned what you are using now for studies.  I would suggest a more focused Charlotte Mason method for everything but Math.  Honestly, it's the freedom that they need.  My dd is doing Early Moderns for the year, just as an example, and she will research and outline her way through the time period.  I will provide an essay question every so often for testing (important to develop this type of testing for college) and allow her only her notebook (really a binder).  I even drop her off at the library, letting the librarian know of course, and allow her to completely study and research on her own.  She has rules and follows them so that she does not lose her freedoms. 

This sounds like she is challenging for space.  It is time to give her some.  We have to let them grow up too.  Homeschool often ends up being very confining.  Find ways to let her be independent and experience things safely.  It may not work for you, and things may be worse than perceived in text, but I hope it helps you some to know you are not alone.  They all go through something like this.

I have to say that dd13 may be the death of me this year! She just does not want to do anything! It doesn't matter if it is Algebra or Art she complains about it! It is a constant battle and frankly, I am not sure I can go through it another year! I actually called dh yesterday in tears telling him that I just did not want to do this anymore! The stress level in this house is ridiculous. To top it off dd10 has to sit there and listen to us argue all day! I have tried punishing her, talking to her, you name it and nothing seems to work. Going to PS is not an option as dh will not even consider it. We can not afford a private school so I am stuck! I have seriously thought about getting a program like BJU or Abeka video just so I dont have to be the teacher. Please give me some advice. I feel like I am sinking and I really am losing any desire or drive to teach them.

I had todo this with my dd....get a boxed curriculum....this is what you have to accomplish, I will answer your questions. I will not nag, badger, or complain about your study habits. Passing is passing, failing means you redo it.

Quite frankly, and I may be in the minority here, she needs to take some responsibility for her own actions. My dd's battle over school work was really her battle with me. School should not be the battle field. I am in the same position as you....private school unaffordable--public school not an option.

I dangled the college carrot in front of her....you want to get out of here?? You want a life?? Well....this is your key. You need to finish high school. This is how many credits you need. This is how you can get them. Non-negotiable. Here is the law. This is what it says.

Anyway, this year I went with CLE cover school as it was cheap and she was already doing 3 CLE subjects with Teaching Textbooks math. It has been a GODSEND!!! Seriously. She is happy! She does her work and is learning from it. She does not agree with some of their philosophy and is busy researching ON HER FREE TIME. Why they are wrong about the hippies! ;-). She is reading. She is still a big fat pain in the @ss...( said in a most loving way imaginable). But school is not the battle. She knows it is the key to the kingdom. She knows what needs to be done daily ( ( I wrote it all out) and she does it. We can communicate better.

The box is not always a bad thing. Sometimes ( like for my 9yo) it is.....but sometimes ( like for my dd). It is the biggest blessing!

Good luck....and if nothing else, know you are not alone!

I have been reading all of this with the greatest interest as I also have a 13 year old.  

I saw it coming as  he is my youngest and realized this would be the year when we would be at odds with each other so here is what I have done.

If his curriculum had a teacher on CD/ DVD I bought it.  it was worth the investment  this year.

I  made a schedule of the subjects that have to be done Mon through Friday and hung that up.

Having it on the wall makes a world of difference, if its on there in writing  then no arguments ( even though I made the list!). 

Also I started something new this year, if he complains and goes too far, I write a chore on the whiteboard that he has to do After his school work is done.  

The first time he got up to two chores very quickly and behaved himself after that.  Now when it happens I just calmly walk over and write a chore in the corner.

I explained to him that this is a real school and like real schools if you misbehave you are punished in some way.  Scrubbing jobs are good as he can work out his emotions and I end up with a nice clean tub, floor etc. 

I'm thinking that after lunch of taking a walk and calling it gym class.  I think the break and the exercise would do us both good. 

Depending on your neighborhood she could go by herself. 

Hang in there, this too shall pass.

If DH has determined she will be home schooled, can he do her schooling when he's home?  Take on even some of it to lighten your load?  

Some kids do better if they know exactly how much work needs to be done.  Does she have a check list or a set schedule for school?

13 is a beast.  <<<hugs>>>

I have always been of the attitude and opinion that school is absolutely not optional.  I don't care if DS doesn't like it.  So what?  Most kids in PS don't like doing school - but they still have to do it.  It's like eating vegetables, exercising, and cleaning.  Most people (well - not the veggies...) don't like doing those things, but we just have to.

Anyway, 13 was a big deal here.  Not only were there a lot of hormones around, the work load got harder and the grading became more important and serious (preparing for high school).  I don't know if you are already - or what you've done in the past - but start keeping a real grade book with consequences for those grades each quarter, and really keep track of the grades on all of her assignments.  Anything below a B and my son knew he'd have a much less enjoyable time the next quarter, lol, but for all A's there was a considerable monetary reward. 

As for the attitude - well, she gets bad grades because she isn't doing the work and she gets grounded. Period.  Just as in school - the teacher shouldn't be standing over her making sure she does her homework.  Assign the work, teach what needs taught, and be available for questions and clarifications.  If she doesn't do the work, she fails the assignment.  If she doesn't study, she fails the test.  No arguing, no yelling.  Those F's add up and she'll get a bad report card - and then the consequences (whatever you decide those would be).  I also have had my DS redo entire assignments if he got less than a C.  He still had to keep the C grade, but had to do all the work again.  If she fails a class, she'll have to take it all over again (that alone can be quite the motivator). 

I don't think it is a bad idea to allow the kids to help pick out curriculum, but I also don't think catering to them during the school year is a good idea.  I mean - math - if it isn't working, you gotta try other math programs, but beyond that - they just have to deal. I ask my son what electives he wants - and then I pick the curriculum. I pick all of the curriculum without his input.  I don't think he'd be all that objective, or really know what would work best....  He'd probably just pick whatever looked easiest, lol.

Some of this may sound harsh - but you're knocking on high school's door.  Better get her used to it now when the grades aren't on a transcript. 

Thowell, I highly recommend URtheMom.com and her book, The Self-Propelled Advantage. We have switched over to this approach this year and it was just in time! Things are going better, and I feel like DS is stepping up to the plate. If you adopted this method perhaps your DH could become her monitor.

Have you ever considered Systematic Mathematics?  :lol: (Inside joke.)

You just MIGHT consider getting an evaluation or two.  I know that sounds scary or ridiculous to some, but I ran into a similar issue, as have some of my friends.  

My daughter was a stealth dyslexic, my son a stealth dyslexic and dysgraphic, I have a friend who had a child that passed every eye exam with flying colors but actually had significant tracking issues and another friend with a child that had an unusual auditory processing disorder and working memory weakness that was not diagnosed for years.  The common thread here?  All four kids are very bright, some even gifted, and all seemed to be inexplicably developing really bad attitudes about learning.  None of us thought our kids had other issues because they didn't show classic signs or we were too inexperienced to recognize those signs.  Three of those kids remained undiagnosed until 5th grade or higher and the attitude and frustration level just kept climbing.  

Once we had evaluations, we found that the kids did have issues but they also had tremendous strengths we weren't even aware of and were not tapping into.  Once we were able to begin remediating the issues, tap into their strengths, and just overall better understand them as individuals, attitude improved dramatically.  My daughter (13) and I have a MUCH stronger relationship now because I finally understand why she was getting so frustrated with school (even though she maintained good grades), and we have found much more successful ways to teach her in nearly every subject (math still difficult but we are working on it and she is MUCH more willing to try different approaches now).  My other friends were able to get specialized help for their kids, too, and attitudes improved all over the place, as well as performance and dedication to learning, in every child.  

A huge number of kids in public school are labeled with a "bad attitude" or "lack of focus"  because their issues are not diagnosed or incorrectly diagnosed and are never adequately addressed.  Frequently, these kids are really intelligent so their abilities mask their issues.  They DO develop a bad attitude when everyone keeps telling them that something is easy or simple but to them it takes a LOT of work, even if we can't see the work they are putting in.  In homeschooling, without a lot of other kids to compare to, kids also frequently remain undiagnosed.  While your child may not have any real issues, it might benefit to know for certain.  If she does, it would probably help tremendously to find out what those issues are and address them before you both suffer further.  You might consider reading The Mislabeled Child by Brock and Fernette Eide and seeing if anything there might help explain her attitude issues.

Sorry you are going through this.  Hope you find answers.  Good luck.

Thowell, I highly recommend URtheMom.com and her book, The Self-Propelled Advantage. We have switched over to this approach this year and it was just in time! Things are going better, and I feel like DS is stepping up to the plate. If you adopted this method perhaps your DH could become her monitor.

Have you ever considered Systematic Mathematics?  :lol: (Inside joke.)

HAHA! I was actually on the website last weekend looking it over! Right now we have BJU Algevra because a friend loaned it to me. It has started out good but most is review which she has really needed. I am thinking if it gets too hard that I may buy the DVD for $99 around Christmas. But yes, SM is always in the back of my mind. You know, she still says things like. "Oh, I remember that from Mr. Ziegler".

If you go the box route, take a look at American School. At least back on the early 2000s, it was the best AND the cheapest box in my opinion. I pulled my resistent 13 year old out of a charter school and plopped him in AS and it was the best fit ever. I'd been homeschooling his younger 2E brother for a while, but this 13 year old was a WHOLE other story. I just wrote "not applicable, homeschooled" where the application asked for proof of 8th grade graduation, and let him start 9th grade early using the GENERAL diploma option.

As for math, all 13 year olds are NOT developmentally prepared for algebra. There is a reason that algebra 1 was taught in 9th grade for so long, and that was ONLY for the college prep students, not the standard and remedial levels. Some schools are returning to 9th grade algebra after failing at 8th grade algebra.

I really don't care any more what other countries are doing. That is their kids, immersed in their culture, and with their genetics. I don't know why it's different for some of them. I just know that pasting their math expectations onto an American child doesn't work as a default plan for the average american kid.

My suggestions is to lower the difficulty level, and up the obedience factor. And if you are Christians start the day with family worship, and ask dad to start an evening worship period, maybe right after dinner. And if the family is not eating dinner together...well, that might be something you might want to consider.

HOMEschooling problems just bring to a head issues that are already going on in the HOME. Boxes can be a helpful quick fix, but there are usually underlying issues to explore, and often they have little to do with "school". PS and boxes seldom fix them. It can sweep them under the rug, but not fix them. I would NOT spend the money on the costly DVD and text options, without at least taking a serious look at American School first!

You know...another option, MIGHT be to take a look at Far Above Rubies, if you are conservative Christians. Maybe. The students are given many choices, but there are points awarded for each assignment that are pretty strict. The worldview is very patriarchal, which you might, or might not, like.