Menu

Do you let your dog drink milk?

JadeOrchidSong

I do give my dog people food in addition to his Taste of the Wild. He loves my homemade Chinese dumplings, aka pot stickers. He gets some meat in the chili if we have chili. On camping trips, he gets beef barley soup with his kibble to keep up his energy for climbing the steep mountains.

Any more milk drinking and people food loving dogs out there?

Raw milk yes, pasteurized milk no. Dogs can have a lactose intolerance same as people. Or they can have an allergy to milk protein. If your dog isn't overweight (milk is the last thing a fat dog needs) and they don't seem to have any gas or diarrhea after drinking it, I wouldn't be worried about it. The poodle that I used to own couldn't handle any milk. Our pitbull and cockers love it and have gorgeous coats when they are on it (probably from the fat content).

No cow's milk for the pets.  I very much believe in feeding pets a wide variety of healthy "people food."  I'm just not convinced milk falls into that category.  Although in thinking about it I suppose the calcium in milk might be helpful in balancing the phosphorus that's in abundant supply in much of the other foods people typically give to pets.  But I'd have to check the calcium/phosphorus ratio in milk to know for sure.

Signed,

The Pet Food Geek

Sometimes. Our vet said it was perfectly fine to mix it in with her food if it got her to eat more (she is a finicky eater). He also said cottage cheese and yogurt were fine.

But she's never had a reaction to any food and only gets loose stool from sea water.

We give her meat and fish as treats, but never anything that has been marinated or seasoned too heavily.

I don't, but my in-laws do. They give him just about everything. I tell them just a tablespoon left in one bowl, but he gets two bowls of probably 1/2 cup each at times. He then comes downstairs to barf a few times a month, if they give it to him too cold. It used to be he would get a bowl, and our other dog would get a bowl, but since she has passed he gets both. Dh told me to no longer buy anything with grapes after fil gave him a piece of PBJ. Drives me nuts!!! The dog is moderately overweight, and it has been affecting his breathing. (He is a larger sized pug/beagle mix) We had him on a strict diet, but fil only follows it for about 3 weeks.  :glare:

Not purposefully, like out of the carton, but as leftovers in a bowl of cereal, yes.

True confession time: our dog eats all the leftovers. She's quite old now, but was middle aged when we moved overseas and our housekeeper was absolutely horrified we were scraping food into the food waste bin and rinsing plates in water when we had a perfectly good, very large dog to eat it. Despite being a breed known for weight problems, our lab isn't overweight, so I thought- what the heck, dogs happy, no wasting water or trash space (waste is highly regulated and very expensive trash bags must be used). We have done that ever since. She isn't as thrilled now that we are vegetarians, but she is quite old for a lab so perhaps all the table food isn't as bad as vets make it out to be. We don't give her anything cooked with onions (and that is many things) since they are toxic to dogs, but otherwise- she gets it all. We adjust her actual "dog food" accordingly, somedays she gets none at all!