Menu

What's your opinion on legalization of marijuana for medicinal use only?

:iagree:

The criminalization of marijuana is ridiculous - so much so that it extends to hemp which is a very useful plant. Hemp fiber can be used on so many applications, but cannot be grown in the US because of our foolish drug policies.

I heard a while back that it was cotton farmers way back that lobbied to have marijuana criminalized. Hemp makes better fabric than cotton. I also heard (have no idea if it is true) that you can make fuel from it, and cheaply. It boggles the mind!

I heard a while back that it was cotton farmers way back that lobbied to have marijuana criminalized. Hemp makes better fabric than cotton. I also heard (have no idea if it is true) that you can make fuel from it, and cheaply. It boggles the mind!
Clothes MIL has made from the kids from hemp fabrics have worn *very* well. They get very soft after a few washings as well.

As conservative as I am, I'm all for the legalization of most illegal drugs - the "crop" drugs, that is. I think if drugs were made legal, a lot of the crime law enforcement has to tackle would become minimal. Also, think of all the tax revenue that could possibly come from legal sales of drugs.

However, NO WAY should drugs like meth (concocted, cocktail drugs) be legalized. That stuff is CRAZY bad!

I'm not in favor of it.... I have multiple sclerosis with severe nerve pain and spasticity. There are zero meds I can take for it that don't affect my altertness. I've never taken any muscle relaxer or various seizure meds for more than a couple months bc of that. I can't imagine smoking marijuana and functioning to care for my family, or just myself properly.

Thanks guys for piping in! You're cracking me up and I'm enjoying the variety of takes (tokes?;)) on this topic.

LNC, your response is particulary interesting to me. I have MS, too, as I've mentioned before. This is one reason I'm interested in med. marijuana. I am back in remission now (praise be), but in the recent past I've had excruciating spasticity and nerve pain that was unrelieved by the high dose anti-spas. meds. the dr. prescribed. The meds. sometimes made me very woozy, too, but my dh was working at home to help us so it was ok. I couldn't always care for me family either, then, but it wasn't just because of the medicine.

It was because of the unrelenting, screaming pain. Wearing clothes or using a light blanket could bring tears and my friggin' spastic legs made it unbearable to sit, stand or lay down. Staying asleep became difficult if not impossible sometimes. It was the pain, and not just the meds., that made me useless to my family then and started to chip away at my will to carry on. Thanks be that that chapter is over now. I hope not to revisit it again.

If med. marijuana was available, I would have chosen to try it if prescribed, as I could rely on my dh to take care of the kids if I were temporarily "indisposed" bec. of that or any other treatment. So, in my case, I can imagine trying it if a dr. thought it might help.

LNC, I'm not trying to debate with you at all. I have incredible respect for you and couldn't bear to raise your ire or create any hostility. I know you of all people are acquainted with pain and suffering. Please forgive me if my inquiry offends you. That isn't my intention in the least.

But I do gently ask why, after deeming med. marijuana inappropriate for *yourself* and your particular situation, you would vote to deny prescription access to *all* patients (MS, cancer, HIV) who may feel, along with their drs., that it might be right for them, in their own pariticular situation, to try? I gently ask if you would then vote against the availablity of Topamax (or another med.) since it was not right for you and your circumstance?

The opinions in my locale seem to be running against legalization. I have heard several arguments similar to LNC's. I am trying to understand all sides in as thorough a way as possible, hence my questions and post.

Thanks, hivers.:001_smile: Feel free to post more opinions on the matter.

If someone has a accident....and they happen to find weed in their car....what happens? Are they automatically charged with DUI?

As you can see...I have no clue how it works, LOL. I wonder if the standard DUI test (road side) would work if you were high on weed? Anyone know the answer to that, LOL!

Tammy

My neighbor had an accident and because he had been smoking mj he was given a DUI. He was able to take he same diversion classes just as if he had been drinking alcohol. (It is important to note that the accident was deemed to be not his fault, and no one was injured). Thiis is in Oregon, btw, where everybody is pretty lenient about it all. In fact, if I were found with a small amount, say, in my hand in a public place I might be given a citation similar to a parking ticket, but generally no worse.

I'm fine with legalizing it for medicinal purposes. Many of the drugs used for severe pain, in a cancer patient for example, are addicting and can cause significant impairment. Why not let patients discuss the options with their doctors and choose the best option for themselves?

I'm not familiar enough with the laws governing marijuana to answer your second question.

As for the question you didn't ask, recreational use, I'm not sure. I'm fine with folks being adult and making their own decisions, but I really don't want to breathe in the exhaust of their decision any more than I want to breathe in someone's secondhand cigarette smoke. I guess I'd be okay with it in the privacy of one's home. I wish cigarettes were restricted to private homes also.

If someone has a accident....and they happen to find weed in their car....what happens? Are they automatically charged with DUI?

As you can see...I have no clue how it works, LOL. I wonder if the standard DUI test (road side) would work if you were high on weed? Anyone know the answer to that, LOL!

Tammy

It would work just like it works with alcohol. If an officer believes you are under the influence and you are pulled over, the officer would probably give you a series of roadside sobriety tests - finger to nose, stand on one foot, horizontal gaze nystagmus, alphabet recitation, officer's observation and sensory, etc. As far as a blow test, it is likely that many currently illegal drugs wouldn't register on a blow test. Blood/urine/hair follicle tests would be more likely.

States would probably have to implement limits for sobriety for drugs just like alcohol. Other than that, I don't think it would really change.

Besides, finding weed in a car wouldn't necessarily rise to the offense of driving while under the influence; just like one who buys a bottle of wine and a 6 pack isn't necessarily under the influence when the closed containers are in the grocery bag in the floorboard.

:iagree:

The criminalization of marijuana is ridiculous - so much so that it extends to hemp which is a very useful plant. Hemp fiber can be used on so many applications, but cannot be grown in the US because of our foolish drug policies.

I believe marijuana should be treated no differently than Prozac, morphine, alcohol or tobacco. Addiction should be handled as a medical/psychological matter instead of a criminal one. It seems to me that criminalization is a very poor deterrent to drug use. On the other hand, it does a good job of supporting the prison industrial complex as well as the black market. It's stupid to spend so much money locking up non-violent drug offenders for possession of banned controlled substances, when alcohol and nicotine addicts get off free.

i guess that about sums it up for me too.

I actually have a family member basically dying of cancer, although hes still up and about, who uses it for medicinal purposes.

But can i say I am amazed that so many people on this board are in favour of decriminalising it? I wouldn't have guessed that! Of course, I feel it is common sense- even though I had a very traumatic relationship with a man who did go schizophrenic because of long term pot smoking- and I know many other people whose lives have been what i might call stunted, because of the demotivating effect it has. But, that doenst mean it should be a criminal offence.

But can i say I am amazed that so many people on this board are in favour of decriminalising it? I wouldn't have guessed that!
Uh huh. This is not the way I was expecting the thread to develop. I was joking with DH earlier that I should start a thread about heroin and see where it goes...

Don't believe in legalizing it. That's ridiculous and I don't feel other things such as alcohol should be legal either. So many careless people out there.

What's the difference in using prescribed mj vs. zophran or phenergan? There are dangers to every prescription drug. Is it that one comes from a plant and another is synthesized in a factory?

Well, you could tell them a stupid joke and time how long they laugh.

I'm thinking a contraption could also be built that would detect the slight differences in a stoned vs. not stoned laugh. It's subtle. The instrument would have to be very sensitive. But it's possible.

You could put Cheetos in front of them and see if they can resist.

All sorts of fun tests! (said completely tongue-in-cheek :tongue_smilie:)

Does this mean that DD's (8y/o) ludicrous laughter indicates she's not "stone sober"?:lol:

Does this mean that DD's (8y/o) ludicrous laughter indicates she's not "stone sober"?:lol:

Ooh, you have a good point. The instrument would also have to be able to detect a difference between high on maryjane and high on life. This may be far more technical than I first thought...:glare:

Ooh, you have a good point. The instrument would also have to be able to detect a difference between high on maryjane and high on life. This may be far more technical than I first thought...:glare:

Although I must say, if someone's giving field sobriety tests to your 8 y/o, you must ask yourself why she was driving the car in the first place.

:auto:

It's generally supposed to be grown in controlled areas so it doesn't involve the street peddlars. I'm not sure driving under the influence is much of a different problem than is driving under the influence of perscription drugs. And I believe there are tests for it.

Most of the problems related to drugs in general are the problem related to the purchasing of drugs - theft, organized crime reaping high profits - not the use of drugs themselves. Perhaps we should legalize them and reap those high profits for society - much like alcohal and tobacco - use the profits to treat the addicts.

I believe marijuana should be treated no differently than Prozac, morphine, alcohol or tobacco. Addiction should be handled as a medical/psychological matter instead of a criminal one. It seems to me that criminalization is a very poor deterrent to drug use. On the other hand, it does a good job of supporting the prison industrial complex as well as the black market. It's stupid to spend so much money locking up non-violent drug offenders for possession of banned controlled substances, when alcohol and nicotine addicts get off free.

:iagree: I so totally agree. It sure has turned out to be a disaster.

I'd also like to be thrown in the bag with the other ladies. Aren't we a complicated bag of mixed nuts! :D

Unfortunately I feel it's a political attitude that keeps the FDA from approving it for pain and nausea control or at least investigating it for that use. Because of that I do feel it's appropriate to be a ballot issue.

But why is marjuana so much more dangereous than the other, controled pain killers? And some of the controlled, legal pain killers are much more dangereous than marijuana. And surely it's much cheaper than what I've been given for nausea, at $138/pill/day! (Though the pill had no side effects, for me at least.)

Personally I would prefer that it's use be predicated on benefit/cost (including side effects) studies than a vote though.

I say legalize it altogether. Did you hear about the storm troopers beating down the home of the mayor in some town in the Midwest, killing the homeowner's dog (a Lab, who wasn't doing anything except being in *his own kitchen,* for goodness' sake), making the mil lie face down on the floor next to the dead dog, requiring the mayor to sit in his undies for a couple of hours until someone figured out he was innocent...all because he was suspected of being a drop for marijuana??? :ack2:

So, yes, I'd absolutely vote to make it legal for medicinal purposes. Right on.

Whoa, remember the game of telephone? The story is too close to what happened in a nearby county to where I live to not be the same situation.

The situation occured in a small town in a nameless county in MD, where the police force doesn't have the best reputation. The police forced their way in, thinking (?) they had a no-knock warrant. I didn't hear that the mil was forced on the ground, but there were 2 labs killed by a SWAT team, not storm troopers. The mil and mayor were forced to answer questions for some time. And yes the mayor was in his underwear for the entire period. I believe they were handcuffed also.

There were some stupid coordination errors made, besides shooting the dogs. Did the individual who got the warrent mistakenly tell the police that they got the "no-knock" variety? Or did the county police *not* tell the Sherriff's SWAT team that it was a knock warrent that they had and the SWAT team assumed it was no-knock since they were specifically requested? After all, SWAT teams aren't normally called in for normal warrent situations. PLUS, no one notified the city police that they were raiding the mayor's house. The city police chief is visualizing the gun battle that would have happened between 3 policing agencies had someone called them.

And within 48 hours, the same county police force identified two seperate delivery teams that would deliver a drug shipment to an unsuspecting house and then have the partner swipe it from the porch. It's not a county I would choose to live in.

For medicinal use,for recreational use.Whatever.I've seen many more people ruin their lives, and other people's lives with alcohol than with minor street drugs.I see so many people out there self medicating with various prescription and non prescription substances that I am convinced that most Americans are convinced that they need some sort of substance (or several of them) to help them get through their lives.Mine,btw, is chocolate.

What's the difference in using prescribed mj vs. zophran or phenergan? There are dangers to every prescription drug. Is it that one comes from a plant and another is synthesized in a factory?

FYI, Zofran does not have the same effects as MJ and any prescription drugs should be monitored closely via the health care provider anyway. If we legalized MJ, why not legalize crack or even heroine? I think we have to look at the entire picture. We have a large enough drug problem in the country and even the world. Would legalizing MJ or all street drugs make it better? No, I really don't think so but there needs to be accountability somewhere. Just MO:D

As a registered nurse and a Christian, I don't believe in legalizing it. That's ridiculous and I don't feel other things such as alcohol should be legal either. So many careless people out there.

Of course, Jesus not only drank wine... but actually changed water INTO wine... but nevermind that. Big brothers we must be. Make all things that could encourage the loosening of inhibitions illegal.

Besides, marijuana might make people wear skimpy outfits. :D

For the record, I'm for making marijuana legal even though THC is dangerous.

I know it was SWAT and not storm troopers. I used that term for effect. :-) And I didn't write all the details I had heard, just enough to get the point across. If I had thought about it more, I'd have found a news story on-line and linked it.

FYI, Zofran does not have the same effects as MJ and any prescription drugs should be monitored closely via the health care provider anyway. If we legalized MJ, why not legalize crack or even heroine? I think we have to look at the entire picture. We have a large enough drug problem in the country and even the world. Would legalizing MJ or all street drugs make it better? No, I really don't think so but there needs to be accountability somewhere. Just MO:D

But aren't we talking about medical legalization? Marinol is legal and monitored, and it's making a ton of money for drug companies because it's synthesized. They certainly have a stake in making sure medical legalization is not passed.

Why not legalize crack or heroine? If you think they are similar in nature or long-term consequences, then I can understand why you would think medical legalization would be a horrible idea. Medically, I can't think of any reason that crack or heroine would be legal.

I think maybe we're having two different conversations here, though.

Cactus pair, I read your post to me. I haven't studied medical marijuana at all. And I've never really thought about it bc Marinol is legal. So, I'm not in a position to debate anyone!

My point is that Topamax and other meds didn't do more for me than take my pain level from a 9 to an 8. They also took my reasoning, personality and clear thinking away.

I deal with MS w/ Betaseron, very low saturated fat diet, pt, intense stretching program and prayer/meditation. And I can think very clearly. I have a very medically fragile child, one with autism, and one with diabetes. That makes the necessity of a clear head very important to me.

FYI, Zofran does not have the same effects as MJ and any prescription drugs should be monitored closely via the health care provider anyway. If we legalized MJ, why not legalize crack or even heroine? I think we have to look at the entire picture. We have a large enough drug problem in the country and even the world. Would legalizing MJ or all street drugs make it better? No, I really don't think so but there needs to be accountability somewhere.
I agree about accountability. How about the $1 billion per year to cover the costs of those in prison for marijuana related offenses, the overwhelming majority of whom are incarcerated for simple possession? Is that the best use of the money?

Of course, Jesus not only drank wine... but actually changed water INTO wine... but nevermind that. Big brothers we must be. Make all things that could encourage the loosening of inhibitions illegal.

Besides, marijuana might make people wear skimpy outfits. :D

For the record, I'm for making marijuana legal even though THC is dangerous.

hey!!

I don't need marijuana or alcohol to determine how skimpy my outfits are --i can do that pretty well on my own ;)

"and lead us not into temptation, we can find it ourselves."

and there's enough evidence that Christ might have made oinos as UNfermented grape juice:

http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/books/wine_in_the_bible/4.html

but as far as legislation goes?

I tend to side w/ make it legal.

Would legalizing MJ or all street drugs make it better? No, I really don't think so but there needs to be accountability somewhere. Just MO:D

I would argue that criminalization of street drugs hasn't made things better either. Maybe worse. Handling addiction as a medical issue, not a criminal one places the focus and accountability where it belongs IMO. Prison rarely cures anyone of anything. If we look at the example of alcohol, we see that prohibition did nothing to prevent people from drinking. It just forced the whole thing underground and created a black market. That's just what has happened with today's war on drugs. Only now, we also have huge corporations and unions which profit from imprisoning the underclass.

People have been figuring ways to use mood-altering substances since the the first person ate some fermented grapes, or breathed in the smoke of a strange plant thrown on the fire. Personally, I don't think it's necessarily anything for the human race to brag about. And recreational use of alcohol, MJ, Ritalin, heroin, nicotine, morphine, methamphetamines and/or caffeine are usually not in a person's long term best interests. Ideally, it would be nice if everybody learned to deal with life head on, without chemical mind enhancements. But I'm not holding my breath.