Menu

have you ever used a sock to make a hair bun?

ProudGrandma

My husband's sister is getting married in a week and my daughter is in the wedding.  She has medium long hair, but it is fine and straight.  She wants curly hair for the wedding so we thought we would try to do the sock bun thing. 

We did it last night, but when we took it down this morning, it was too damp still and it didn't work. 

So if you have done this before, can you tell me did you use any product in it to make the curls better or last longer?  How wet really was your hair?  And I know now you can actually buy gizzmos that take the place of the sock....have you used one of these...or just the sock??  Just trying to make this as successful as possible for my daughter.  thanks.

My DD has a similar effect from having her hair in a bun-it doesn't dry, so any waves don't last very long. What works best is to use sponge rollers overnight with her hair almost damp and with a bit of gel through it, and then spray with hairspray once the curl is in, before taking them out. She has a lot of fine, stick-straight hair, and that works even to give her the tight pin curls she needs for cheer. For waves, we just use bigger rollers.

I tried it once but my hair was too short for it, so it didn't work out well.

I do think you will have to let it dry partially before you put it up, it sounds like.  A friend had to do that with hers - dry it/let it air dry a bit, and don't put it up sopping wet, just damp.  Now that my hair is a bit longer I would probably have to do the same thing, because if I put my hair up first thing after my shower (like I did today) it will still be damp when I take it down tonight.  Even if I leave it up until 10-11pm. 

Other than that, you could probably put some curl enhancer or something like that on it if you wanted to.  I don't see it hurting...

My DD has a similar effect from having her hair in a bun-it doesn't dry, so any waves don't last very long. What works best is to use sponge rollers overnight with her hair almost damp and with a bit of gel through it, and then spray with hairspray once the curl is in, before taking them out. She has a lot of fine, stick-straight hair, and that works even to give her the tight pin curls she needs for cheer. For waves, we just use bigger rollers.

We used to curl hair for Irish Dance, and we did it much like you're describing.  We used a gel product on dry hair, and a type of sponge roller called a spike, pulled the top hair up into a ponytail first (sort of the same idea as the video the OP linked), rolled it and left it overnight to dry. The curls lasted for days.  I made a blog post on it somewhere in the wilds of the internet.

I have very thick hair, but I do this all the time for waves and it works great! I keep my hair mostly dry, I just mist it with some water from a bottle but it's barely damp. Otherwise it would never dry. I spray hairspray on the waves when I take it out in the morning, but using gel when rolling it would probably work really well. A tip- put it way on the top of her head, it makes the waves fall better. You look weird since no one wears a bun like that, but ive found it makes the best waves to have it smack on the top of your head. You can also do 2 or 4 sock buns (use kids socks so they are smaller) for tighter curls.

I love this easy, no heat method for curls, it does take some practicing though.

Whether that'll work depends on your hair and what kind of curls you're hoping for. The longer the hair is the better it'll work, but the results will really be more like waves than curls, IME. When my daughter was in a wedding recently, I sprayed her hair that morning so that it was as damp as if it had been towel-dried after a shower (no damper), and put it in about a million pin curls. I used YouTube videos to figure out the pin curls, and used this tutorial to put them so that they'd look nice all night. Good luck!

Edited to remove random quote. M

I would use a bun form, because it would give the hair a better chance to dry. I would just spray it lightly and put some sort of setting product in. However, on this video, the curls are really subtle and with fine hair, they aren't likely to hold all day.

We have something like these, and they work GREAT on long, fine hair and with the right product they will hold. Pin curls would probably work great too.

http://www.amazon.com/Vakind-Stretched-Formers-Ringlets-Leverage/dp/B009HULDYG/ref=pd_sim_bt_1

ETA - My daughter soemtimes just does a couple of low buns on the back of her head to sleep in for curls without a bun form. The Bun form will create looser curls. You could try some variations this week to see what comes out the best.

We use the sock bun for ballet (it makes shorter hair into a great looking bun).  It never leaves my daughter's hair curly, just sort of odd looking and a bit wet still regardless of how long we leave it in.  If you want curls I would try actual rollers.

I would use a bun form, because it would give the hair a better chance to dry. I would just spray it lightly and put some sort of setting product in. However, on this video, the curls are really subtle and with fine hair, they aren't likely to hold all day.

We have something like these, and they work GREAT on long, fine hair and with the right product they will hold. Pin curls would probably work great too.

http://www.amazon.com/Vakind-Stretched-Formers-Ringlets-Leverage/dp/B009HULDYG/ref=pd_sim_bt_1

ETA - My daughter soemtimes just does a couple of low buns on the back of her head to sleep in for curls without a bun form. The Bun form will create looser curls. You could try some variations this week to see what comes out the best.

Those curlers work great for us.  :iagree:

Thank you for sharing, been wanting some kind of rollers for my hair and those looks like the right about of fiddling. Maybe it can add some body to my fine, straight hair now and then. :)

It works great on me, but I have very fine hair of medium length and it has some natural wave already, and I live in a very dry climate.  I wait until my hair is almost completely dry after a morning shower (barely damp at all), add in some curl-enhancing mouse, put it up, and by the time it's evening and time to go to whatever event we have planned, it's perfect.

Do you use a cotton sock, by any chance?  Because cotton holds water.  I used a nylon dress sock (no cotton content at all), cut off the toe, and rolled it into the shape.  Polyester repels water and dries quickly.   Those bun maker things in stores work great too - they're a plastic coated metal sponge and your hair dries fast in them.

I think I've seen hair dryer adaptors at Sally Beauty Supply - You put one end over the end of your hair dryer, and the hood portion fastens over your curlers or sock bun or whatever, and then it dries your hair completely, just like at a hairdresser.

These are the only curlers that have ever worked in my straight hair.

We use the sock bun for ballet (it makes shorter hair into a great looking bun). It never leaves my daughter's hair curly, just sort of odd looking and a bit wet still regardless of how long we leave it in. If you want curls I would try actual rollers.

Totally. None of the girls can hold onto curls for more than a couple of hours (with heat and massive amounts of product). We are a thick and straight haired bunch. I've never heard of sock bun curls.

We used to curl hair for Irish Dance, and we did it much like you're describing. We used a gel product on dry hair, and a type of sponge roller called a spike, pulled the top hair up into a ponytail first (sort of the same idea as the video the OP linked), rolled it and left it overnight to dry. The curls lasted for days. I made a blog post on it somewhere in the wilds of the internet.

I used to do DD's hair for Irish dance like this, too.

For us, we made sure we used regular shampoo (not conditioning) and NO conditioner. Hair was bone dry when we started. We had a spray gel WITH alcohol and used very small sections of hair for each spike. Also, as soon as I took the spike out, I sprayed the curl with a super strong hairspray.

It's funny...my younger relative started Irish dancing and had a wig from Day 1. I wonder if anyone curls any more?

A lot of the girls at my daughter's dance studio are using the headband curl method when they want curly hair and they seem to be having great success. There are tons of tutorials on youtube..I just searched for "headband curls" and found a ton.

My daughter has stick straight hair and wears a sock bun or some variation of a bun for dance often.  Her hair is very long and thick and is wavy when we take it out but still damp and doesn't hold at all.   She has decided to embrace her straight hair and doesn't want to bother trying to curl it anymore..at least for now!

I used to do DD's hair for Irish dance like this, too.

For us, we made sure we used regular shampoo (not conditioning) and NO conditioner. Hair was bone dry when we started. We had a spray gel WITH alcohol and used very small sections of hair for each spike. Also, as soon as I took the spike out, I sprayed the curl with a super strong hairspray.

It's funny...my younger relative started Irish dancing and had a wig from Day 1. I wonder if anyone curls any more?

What is the purpose of putting the hair in a ponytail first?  Does it help the curls fall more towards the back?  I'm very interested in this because I love fixing DD's hair in different ways ... she doesn't quite love it as much.  I tell her that someday she'll be happy someone wants to put her hair up in curlers and maker her look glamorous.