Menu

How to wash synthetic exercise clothes

Jean in Newcastle

Salt: I was a little sceptical about this one at first, but the science makes sense. Salt is a natural antibacterial so will kill those critters lurking in your synthetic apparel. Simply soak the offending item in a salted (few tablespoons) bath of water before throwing in the regular wash. 

The salt bath was the home remedy winner for me. I soaked my Club Ride shirt overnight and after a regular wash the next morning, the stink was completely gone. If you live near the ocean, you could always just jump in the water after each workout. 

I've heard this and will try it as I'm getting back into exercising heavily.  

You should be washing your exercise clothes seperate from your other clothing, especially anything cotton.  It will ruin the "tech" part, which will make it harder to get the smell out.

You can do an extra rinse with vinegar, which helps.  This week I also did a presoak with baking soda.  Dry on air or your lowest setting for your dryer.  Heat will set the smells into the clothes.  

You should be washing your exercise clothes seperate from your other clothing, especially anything cotton.  It will ruin the "tech" part, which will make it harder to get the smell out.

You can do an extra rinse with vinegar, which helps.  This week I also did a presoak with baking soda.  Dry on air or your lowest setting for your dryer.  Heat will set the smells into the clothes.  

Could you explain why I need to wash them separately?  Is it because of the temperature setting?  

Could you explain why I need to wash them separately?  Is it because of the temperature setting?  

Yes, because the cotton fibers can attach to the tech material, creating pilling and clogging them (on a very tiny level, but it will hurt the wicking properties of the fabric).

Also, tech fabric should be washed in cold water only. 

Gosh, salt!

I do Bikram yoga 3-4 days a week; it's 90 minutes in a 105F room, and I have to soak the exercise clothes befire washing. I was using this GREAT exercise detergent from Canada, but it's $20/pack, so I had stopped buying it. I was probably paying $20 for a bag of salt, lol! Thanks for the very useful tip!

I tend to wash mine with my bras in this: http://www.forevernew.com/

I get it from my (not so local) bra vendor. A large bottle lasts about 6 months and I wash all synthetics- bras, exercise gear, dd's ballet and tights, etc. in it. I will admit, it does have a bit of a perfume smell, but not overwhelming. I don't do perfume in personal or most household detergents. I do find that bras and tits last a smidge longer by using it and air drying.

I tend to wash mine with my bras in this: http://www.forevernew.com/

I get it from my (not so local) bra vendor. A large bottle lasts about 6 months and I wash all synthetics- bras, exercise gear, dd's ballet and tights, etc. in it. I will admit, it does have a bit of a perfume smell, but not overwhelming. I don't do perfume in personal or most household detergents. I do find that bras and tits last a smidge longer by using it and air drying.

You might want to edit spelling in your last sentence ;-)

I do find that bras and tits last a smidge longer by using it and air drying.

Wow, that's some powerful detergent.

I wash mine on hot always, with whatever else is getting washed on hot, and I never have smell issues.  I have a nose like a bloodhound, so I would notice for sure.  I don't care if the label says to wash them on cold; they don't need to last forever, but they do last a long, long time.  The shirts will eventually shrink lengthwise, but for me, it beats having to wash them in fairy tears under a full moon or whatever other machinations would be required without hot water.  (I live in Atlanta--those babies are getting their share of sweat.)

Echoing the vinegar.I have teens, so I buy it by the gallon.  :001_smile:

If it's a light load, I'll just add it to the warm water cycle for colors. Sometimes for the whites or synthetics, I will let the washer fill (with soap and vinegar added), stop it and leave things to soak for about 15 minutes, then restart to wash as normal. That seems to do the trick.

Echoing the vinegar.I have teens, so I buy it by the gallon.  :001_smile:

If it's a light load, I'll just add it to the warm water cycle for colors. Sometimes for the whites or synthetics, I will let the washer fill (with soap and vinegar added), stop it and leave things to soak for about 15 minutes, then restart to wash as normal. That seems to do the trick.

I buy it by the gallon too!