Menu

Halloween costumes

Whereneverever

dd7 is planning to dress up like a hula dancer just like Molly the american girl did. She wants a matching costume for her Molly doll, and it MUST match the one in the book.

I forsee me making this at the last minute.

My DD did this one year. We got the grass skirt and lei at party city. She wore a red sweatshirt bc we didn't have a red sweater.

Ds4 wants to be a Minecraft Zombie (he doesn't play, but he watches big brother and Dh play.)

Ds6 wants to be a PB&J Sandwich.

Dd will be a ladybug. <3

My kids are young and are happy with simple, homemade costumes. Last year they were Bob the Builder and Super Why. (Ds4 still loves the Super Why costume I made and wears it often.) The two years before that they were Thomas the Tank Engine and Percy. (They loved the costumes and characters so much they wanted to wear them two years in a row.)

It changes 50 times. Last year Coraline got turned into a Love Bug. Right this moment, she wants to be a character from a story she wrote. I'm gently trying to talk her out of it because I know she is going to get frustrated and upset when people keep asking her what she's supposed to be. I wouldn't dream of dissuading her just because I have half of her requested Rainbow Dash costume finished.

I am crocheting a minion costume for the baby, dd wants to be a mermaid (I offered to crochet a beautiful sparkly tail, but she wants a store bought Ariel costume  :001_huh: ) and ds wants to be some version of a grim reaper.  I'm almost positive ds has been the grim reaper a couple times now, I think he just likes getting the scythe.  

When I was asking DS (almost 4) for ideas a few months ago, he was very ambivalent about dressing up at all.  He loves to imagine constantly, but prefers to narrate rather than directly participate.  He doesn't to be called anything but his name, even when he's acting a part.  I suggested several things, but he shot them all down an said he wouldn't dress up.  Then out of the blue a few days later he told me he was going to be the Magic School Bus and I would be Ms. Frizzle!  We've since refined it to him as Raphie, me as Ms. Frizzle, baby sister as Liz, and Daddy as the bus!  The costumes are coming together and I'm excited about how they're turning out.  My wig should arrive tomorrow and I bought a pink shirtdress at the thrift store.  I'm still deciding what crazy theme to decorate it with.  I know her desert, bee, and spider dresses were all pink.  I'm leaning toward desert since I live in one.

DS will come up withhis costume on October 30th...

DD wanted to be a candy corn witch, then wanted to create a costume that looked like the rag doll in the OJO story from WWE.  She then just wanted a halloween shirt to out trick or treating in.  Last I heard she just wanted to go look.   

My boys will just want to go to Target and pick out a new superhero.  Currently the thought is DS6 as Wolverine and DS5 as Iron Man, but that is subject to change.  DD5 has not committed, but is leaning toward a My Little Pony.  She's the only one who lets me sew for her anymore.  I've got my eye on this tutorial if she sticks with the current plan: http://pinterest.com/pin/35677022021481095/   Of course, she's not satisfied with any of them that aren't unicorns, so I'm sure I'll get to wing horn construction on my own.  :rolleyes:

Last year the 5 older kids went as Clue characters and the baby was the dice.  This year, the two youngest want to be Wendy Witch and Casper.  I tried to tell her people will probably think she is Red Riding Hood, but she said not to worry, she will carry her child sized broom.  I don't think she knows that is an old cartoon and that most people won't have seen it.

DD is working on her Wadjet (in winged cobra form) costume for mythology club next week and plans to wear it for Halloween as well. We have the hood done, but need to find some appropriate body covering (the hood is made out of desert camouflage felt, so I'm hoping to find desert camo PJs or something similar for her), and then add wings between the arms and body.

I'm expecting this to be another "And what are you again???" year. Last year she was a hydra.

DD is going to be a weeping angel.  Hopefully SIL will have time to help us with the costume.  If not we may have some difficulty as I am a very, very new beginner at sewing.   :)

DS is undecided between the 11th Doctor and Darth Vader.  DD and I are hoping he chooses the Doctor so they can match.  

If a weeping angel appears at my front door NOT accompanied by the doctor, I may run! Especially since I have one of those little cherub statues by the front door-and I look suspiciously at him every time Dr. Who has a weeping angel episode. (he came with the house, and DD has strenuously refused to let us get rid of the "baby").

While scrolling through a costume website, DS, using some crazy 6-year-old intuition, pointed at The Flash and asked "What can he do?" After a quick Google check (geek fail, I know), I told him he runs really fast. Considering that one of DS's favorite past times is running around having people time him to see how fast he's going, he declared this perfect. The whole process took maybe five minutes, and The Flash was the only costume he asked about. I'll take it!