Menu

Lice advice and experience please

2_girls_mommy

We have managed to get this far without ever experiencing it.  I have no idea how dd picked it up this week, but she did.  Of course she is 11 and has never had a hair cut, so she has hair down past her seat.  Fun.

I am pregnant and nervous about dealing with  the poison stuff but don't know if home remedies really work or if it is worth the amount of time they take.  But then again, doesn't the Rid only kill the live ones anyway, and it is really the picking out with the comb continuously that is going to get rid of the rest that can rehatch?  So if that is the case and I am going to be picking out her hair for hours on end for the next week would some of the home remedies be ok? 

Advice please.  Also, have any of you used any of the non toxic stuff that really worked?? 

So far I have had her sleep in mayo with a shower cap.  I spend 2 hrs this morning picking out her hair.  Of course we are working on stripping all of the beds, pillows, and washing them and drying them in hot along with all of the robes, towels, clothes, etc in the house (a nightmare in itself.) 

Did anybody opt out of spraying the beds and stuff w/the poison stuff that now comes in Rid?  I have never heard of this before and it makes me nervous to spray their beds.  Granted, I have never in my life had lice and neither did anybody in my family growing up.  So this is not something I have any experience in.  Guess we have been lucky so far...

HELP. 

I think you can wash the sheets and towels with boiling hot water instead of the chemical stuff.    Of course that is not always easy.  

Also use boiling water on the combs and brushes.  

Some salons will do lice treatments if you need some outside, professional help.   I don't know if it is expensive or effective.    

I went through several months where we went through several re-infestations. She picked it up from attending a church. After we stopped attending she didn't get it any longer. 

Anyway, I had great success with vinegar. The first time or two we tried the RID stuff but after experimenting with a few things including mayo and olive oil I will continue to use vinegar for anymore that come along. I believe though that the best thing I do to get rid of them is picking really well and doing that job in the sunlight.

A couple of tips: 

I had my daughter get her hair wet and then I would carefully dump vinegar on her head. You have to be careful because it will burn if it gets in the eyes and any open sores/wounds. 

Then we go outside in the sunlight, where I can see the nits the easiest and I section the hair in small sections. 

I use a flea comb and start picking with a cup of vinegar to dunk the comb in order to rinse. Generally I will go through the hair at least twice giving both of us a break between sessions. 

I will check the hair over the next week to make sure i got all of the nits.

Otherwise, I just launder any bedding and brushes as normal. I've not had any reinfestations from my house at all. 

I was pregnant when we were dealing with lice and didn't want to use anything poisonous as well.  We basically went on lock-down and stayed home for about a week.  We went the smothering them route, so we slathered Johnson's Baby Oil Gel all over our hair (lucky me, I got them too) and slept with shower caps on.  I also combed with a lice comb several times a day.  In the end, the worse part was getting the oil washed out.  I had to use several vinegar washes.  For everything else the dryer heat will kill them if they're in bedding, stuffed animals etc.

Ugh - we had the exact same thing happen in the last week. My oldest was probably the first one with lice. My dd had a few, and I found a couple on me (we had been in a hotel for a couple days this week in close quarters).

I have read and watched videos on this for hours at this point. We did do RID, but if it happened again, I wouldn't. There are more natural enzyme shampoos I've read good things about if you can get your hands on one. Like this ...

http://www.amazon.com/LiceLogic-Clear-Free-Treatment-Shampoo/dp/B004HLY464/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1WVVJ847KWUBQ&coliid=I1FBGO86BCI95A

Get a good metal lice comb, not plastic. Plan on doing a thorough comb through at least for 2 weeks. Combing is the MOST IMPORTANT THING from what I read. I've read keeping hair brushes in the freezer will kill anything between uses. Boiling water works too. Initial washing is important, but once you haven't seen live adults for a couple days, it's less important. Drying things on high for 30 minutes will kill anything. Or you can bag things up for a couple weeks.

I've heard good things about tea tree, vinegar, and oil options working for people too. I really think the biggest thing is to comb comb comb. Do it wet, and use conditioner in the hair to make it easier.

The ONLY thing that works for me is the nontoxic stuff; the OTC products are like "hair crack"--they work for awhile so i buy more until I run out of money and have no choice but to slather our heads with whatever oil we have in the house (olive is best, but I've used mineral oil in a pinch) cover with a plastic bag, leave on overnight, shampoo and shampoo and shampoo.

Do be aware that just because oil packs are nontoxic, it doesn't mean that they're safe. Oily little kids are extremely flammable and need to be kept out of the kitchen and away from candles and fireplaces. They're also slippery and can fall and break bones, so I still do video marathons.

I still pick nits daily until they're gone; vinegar helps release the "glue". Some strains of lice have nits than can be combed out, others have to be picked off, strand by strand, with fingernails.

While the kids are packed in oil, wash bedding, clothing, and everything that can be washed in hot water; stuffed animals, pillows, and cold water/hand washables go into garbage bags in the closet for two weeks.

Please don't shave heads, it doesn't do a darned bit of good. The lice lived in ds1's five o'clock shadow on his poor little bare head so the only good his sacrifice did was to make the "hair crack" last a bit longer and delay the inevitable empty bank account and greasy weekend.

Whatever you use, you MUST comb with those special combs at multiple times a day until you see no more lice/nits.   That is one of the best ways to avoid re-infestation.  I did the chemical stuff but didn't do the combing, and those critters came back!    And i got it too!  ugh. No one wants to comb mama's hair :glare:  And what a pain it was to comb my own. 

The usual place is behind the ears and back of the head (they like warmth), but you should definitely run a comb throughout the hair.  If you have boys, give them a buzz cut.. it's is TOTALLY worth it.

I would also buy some Neem shampoo.  It is a lice repellent... it won't kill them, but they don't like the stuff.  It's not very nice smelling, but it is natural.  It got mine off Amazon.

Good luck. 

You don't have to worry about using chemicals.  Put everything in the wash and in a hot dryer.  Stuffed animals can go in the dryer if not washable.  if something is not washable, then put it in a sealed garbage bag for two weeks.

The most important thing is the comb.  None of the combs in the stores or included with kits are worth anything.  I really recommend this one.  If you can't wait, go to a pet store, and buy a metal flea comb.

I like this foamy stuff.  Works just as good as Nix in our experience.

If you want to use no pesticides, then go here.  It's a free combing program.  They also show videos teaching you how to comb.  VERY IMPORTANT.  It's completely free other than the comb.

You can also pay somebody to treat your daughter.  Costs about $100.  Google lice removal and your city.

Four kids, never had it until DD brought it home last year.  We all got it and I had to shave my head because my hair is so thick.  It was hell.

OK...you are making my head itch!

GET THE ROBI-COMB!!!!!   You can buy it at your local drug store for about $30. A bit pricey, but totally worth it! It is an electrified metal comb (battery operated) that actually electrocutes the adults so that they cannot lay more eggs. I still use as a preventative measure about once a month on my girls.

Here's what we did:

1. Slather head in mayo and/or baby oil. This will suffocate the adults. No need to use the chemicals...they are not that effective anyway. Rinse after 3-4 hours.

2. Wash all bedding and recent clothing in hot water and high-heat dryer.

3. Vacuum house.

4  Place all stuffed animals, etc in garbage bags in the shed for 2 weeks.

5. Use this lice comb 1-2 times per day and nit pick with finger nails.

6. use Robi-comb 1-2 times per day.

Do the above for 2-4 days. We have done this twice at different times (lucky me!) and have had no re-infestations. Also, do not feel that you have to go overboard with the washing and vacuuming, as lice can only live 24-48 hours without a human host. Good luck!

Our girls have long, thick hair down to their bottoms.  Our younger dd and I got lice this past year, and then, we all got it about 6 months later.

I put our pillows in a garbage bag with a pillow case over it.  I change the pillow case any time I combed their/my hair out.  Otherwise I left it alone.  I pulled extra blankets/comforters and pillows off the bed and shoved them in the closet until it was all over.  All hair brushes and ties went in the freezer where they now permanently reside :-)

Each girl would sit in a chair while I poured olive oil on their head and combed it through.  I used a lice comb and paper towels to wipe the comb after each swipe.  I comb through until I don't pull out any more nits or lice.  For the first time we got it, I combed several times the first day.  I was far more relaxed the second time around and just did in once on the first day.  You can either shower the oil out or braid the hair and leave it in.  I combed us out the second day and then skipped several days and did it at the end of the week. 

If you leave the oil in, it's far easier to comb through the next time.  At times they couldn't stand the smell of the olive oil or needed to go out somewhere and wanted to wash their hair.  Whatever works for you is fine.

After the first week I combed once a week for 3 weeks.  Both times we were almost completely clear after the first week.  I just kept doing it to be sure and wasn't completely sure if I was looking at some random black fleck in the paper towel or something else!

Good luck!

Thanks all.  You are giving me hope.  I ended up getting a lot of it picked out w/the mayo this morning.  I sent dh to the health food store and he came back w/tea tree oil and tea tree oil shampoo.  He also bought me a kit from CVS that was called a non toxic kit.  It had a spray (mostly alcohol and lemon oil I think.) that we tried after the mayo was washed out and her hair had dried.  It came w/a good metal comb.  Originally he had bought me a RID kit which I didn't want to use. But I had pulled the stupid plastic comb out of it to pick out the mayo hair.  So now I can't return it.  The metal comb was so much better.  After she washed the non toxic spray out, I combed again, and I did find a few more so I am glad I did it.  Dd9 doesn't have any signs of anything thank goodness.  So I had her shower w/the tea tree oil and spray her head after.  I did of course strip all bedrooms and have begun the washing.

Thanks for the tip of putting all comforters and extras away for now. I didn't think of that.  But why wash them and go through the washing again next week?   Its too hot.  Its not like we need anything more than sheets right now anyway.

So in your opinions of what I have done so far, when would you say I should do the mayo and comb through again?  Some seem to have done it for several days in a row.  Some just checked regularly and some did it after a week.  I was leaning towards just watching her and doing it all again in a week no matter what if I don't see any signs before then. 

If you were me, what your next step after today's two combings be?

I got lice a few times between ages 2-6 from my older siblings and neighbor kids. Each time my mom shaved me (and my siblings) bald as nickles and dimes. It was awful. She did make us very cute hats but still. She also boiled and cleaned everything with vinegar and/or bleach.

I got lice once more a little before school picture time when I was 7 or 8 and my dad cared for my hair/head for a couple of weeks because he didn't want us to have awful pictures.

So in your opinions of what I have done so far, when would you say I should do the mayo and comb through again?  Some seem to have done it for several days in a row.  Some just checked regularly and some did it after a week.  I was leaning towards just watching her and doing it all again in a week no matter what if I don't see any signs before then. 

If you were me, what your next step after today's two combings be?

Honestly, we tried mayo, olive oil, Cetaphil, and a Robocomb....nothing helped.  Spent hundreds of dollars on stuff.  Key is combing.  

I suggest following this schedule:  http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/theliceprogram/theprogram.html

"Action - Day 1 - removing the layers *[VIP]*

Today's combing session is aimed at removing existing egg-laying adult lice that may have been missed the day before. All your family should be lice-combed today again, ideally at the same time in the day or evening. 

Do not look for the lice in your hair but use the comb systematically in sweeps so that eventually you will have passed the comb through all of the hair. You will probably find far less lice today then yesterday but it is important to be very persistant. You will have missed quite a few lice yesterday and you need to remove these 'evaders' today. There will be very young nyphs in your hair which the comb may not remove. Do not worry about these as we have planned to get them out later in the program when they are bigger and before they reach an age where they are able to lay new eggs. You might be lucky and get some of these today with your combing session. If so - great!

Action - Day 2 - removing the last of the layers

Today's combing session is aimed at a second attempt at removing existing egg-laying adult lice that may have been missed in the last 2 days. All your family should be lice-combed today again, ideally at the same time in the day or evening. 

Effectively, you are repeating the session you did yesterday.

Action - Day 3 - a day of rest

If you and your family and have not missed one combing session in the previous 3 days, you can all have a break today. If you combed properly, then most of the adult egg-laying lice will have been removed. You will still have younger lice in your hair and hundreds of eggs, some starting to hatch, and you might have a few egg-layers left but we will deal with them all later in the program.

If you feel you have not done things well in the first few days of the program, then by all means repeat the combing session you did yesterday. We think a rest works well right now and you will have one more chance to remove any egg-laying evaders in action day 5 so take a break and congratulate yourselves for taking the action required so far.

Action - Day 4 - a day of rest

Another rest day today. Please take a break from combing and have a good day because tomorrow is a special day in the program and all your family must be present to take a critical action to ensure the program's success.

Action - Day 5 - last chance day! *[VIP]*

Today is one of the most important days in the program. It is your last chance to comb out any remaining adult-lice egg layers. 

Bring your family together (if all living in the same household) and perform the lice combing with extra special care and attention. Make sure you comb right from the scalp to the tip of hair tufts and wipe the comb deligently after each stroke. Work through all the hair several tmes and check the comb before re-introducing it to the hair to make sure there are no visible lice stuck on it.

The reason today is so important is that the rest of this program assumes that after the combing session today, you are free of first generation lice able to lay eggs and lice just about to reach the stage when they can lay eggs. After today we are only concerned with very young lice, the dormant eggs, and eggs just starting to hatch.

You must not miss the combing session today or the program will fail! If you have missed any combing sessions todate, this is the only chance you have left to make amends an get those adult egg-laying lice ou of your hair. This is war and today marks a significant chapter in you winning that war....

It continues up to 21 days.

I've dealt with lice twice, and I did not use any harsh chemicals.

The key was using a lice comb (metal one).  Each day, I'd sit my child down in front of the TV and thoroughly comb through their hair with the lice comb, going in four directions - front to back, back to front, and side to side each way.  I'd part and work through very small sections of hair at time.  I'd spray their hair with detangler spray (conditioner diluted with water) so that the comb would go through the hair easily without pulling.  I'd look especially closely behind the ears and at the nape of the neck. I'd shine a bright light on their heads while I was working.

I'd have a little container of soapy water to dunk any live lice that I found.  But mostly I found nits, which were stuck to the hair shaft - sometimes they'd come out on the lice comb, but mostly you have to pull each one off.  

The first night or two could easily take an hour or more for a through combing, but after that it went a bit faster.  I'd comb daily until I hadn't seen any lice or nits for 2-3 days, and then I'd comb every 2-3 days for 2 weeks.  Generally, I removed 90% of the lice and nits on day 1, and picked up stragglers on days 2 & 3, and their heads were clean after that.

Besides that, I laundered their bedding in hot water and dried on hot, then after that I'd wash their pillowcases each morning.  I also bagged up any stuffed animals or other things that were around the beds but couldn't be washed - I'd put the bags away for 30 days.  And I thoroughly vacumed around their beds and around the sofa and chairs.  (This is mostly in case hairs with nits had fallen off in these areas - live lice can't live for very long off of a host).

Ugh no fun! We had it several months apart from 2 sources last year. Oh the hours I spent picking nits! I also used the chemical stuff, bagged the toys and pillows, hot washed the bedding. I picked each nit out. I would still find one to three nits up to 4 to 5 days after first night. I never found a living bug. It was interesting to look at the nits under the microscope. Some were even hatched shells!

I really don't want to live that again. Hugs

You have received a lot of great advice for treatment (teatree oil and endless hours of combing worked for us).

Any people or groups that your child is involved with should be notified ASAP that your child has lice. Not really a fun thing to have to do, but she got them somewhere, and other parents need to be aware so that they can check their kids. You don't want to deal with reinfestation! Also check your other kids.

Also use this unfortunate opportunity to remind your children to not share hairbrushes or combs, try on their friends' hats or hair bows,etc.

Hope you get the lice out of your life soon!

Any people or groups that your child is involved with should be notified ASAP

Did that.  Found somebody else that has it.  By informing her mom before she had found it meant she caught it early too.  But now she is spending her labor day doing the same fun stuff we are.

thanks all.  I didn't realize I needed to comb again each day. I will start that this afternoon again. Good times

• 3 weeks later...

Tree Tea Oil is the best non chemical option, imo. That was all I needed to use to get rid of them. Went the chemical line with the first dd to get them and had so many problems from reaction to anxiety. She had them so bad. I won't go into the whole story but when 2nd dd got them I tried the TT oil and that was the end of it for us.

So dd6 and I had lice again last weekend, 2nd time since last fall.  Never in my life did I have them before this girl child of mine started getting them.  Anyway, this time I just wanted it over with quickly, and because picking my own head is not easy I went for the quick and easy way.  Vaseline coated both of our heads (and ds15 because I couldn't tell if the 2 adults I found on him came off me, or were his own).  I left the vaseline on for 4 hours before starting the process of removing vaseline.  So the good news is it kills all adults and the nits slide right off the hair easy-peasy.  The down side is vaseline is a b*tch to get out of hair.  They say use baby oil and clarifying shampoo.  Well the baby oil did nothing but make more mess and my tiny rural town does not sell clarifying shampoo.  So I used olive oil that first day, and then dish soap like 6 times each that first day.  Since then I have washed our hair twice a day with 2-3 cycles per time using dish soap for 1 wash, then bar soap and then regular shampoo.  Sometimes I skip the regular shampoo.  It has been a full week and our hair is just finally losing that greasy look.  I kept it in braids and buns all week to hide it.  I have been dutifully combing each day just to be sure and have had zero evidence of lice since that first day.  I opted for the vaseline because we have events 6 days a week and I work.  I needed them gone immediately.

Last fall I did the pesticide treatment.  Those damn bugs danced themselves right through it and never died.  I did the mouth wash, denorex shampoo etc.  What finally did it last year was to cover the head with hair conditioner, put on a shower cap and go to bed.  In the morning comb out and rinse.  I did that like 3-4 days in a row and got rid of them all that way.  The vaseline is faster in kill rate, but my hair looked better with the conditioner cure.

We were able to get rid of it all before her activities and such began.  I don't know where we picked it up, but it is not a fun way to spend a weekend that is for sure.

I can't really add anything to the great advise everyone else has shared, but I can definitely sympathize.  My kids have only gone to ps for one year of their lives and that is when we got it.  All 4--super thick-haired short cut boy, 2 long haired boys, and most fun of all my long thick- curly-haired dd.  YUCK.

What worked for us?  I have no idea.  I did everything mentioned above.  Literally.  Robi-comb, pet flee comb, mayo, oil, vinegar, Rid, lots of combing.... I can't say which method worked, but they went away eventually.  Took about 10 days.  I never want to see another nit as long as I live, but I know better.

I feel itchy just thinking about it.  hmm, off to wash my hair again today, just in case   :huh:

Good luck,

Just wanted to add that if you have a really really bad case, there are Rx ovicides out there (meaning they kill the nits (eggs) as well).  They are very expensive...and you have to go through your pediatrician... but I wish I had known about them before shaving my head last year when the entire family got infected. (My hair is extremely thick and was long...so the normal OTC stuff wasn't working and Nit-combing was nearly impossible.)  I did go to a dermatologist, and he never mentioned them, just suggested Nix which is only about 44% effective.  The prescription ones are far more effective in the 85-90% range.

One is Natroba.  Sam's Club has the cheapest price, especially if you're a Sam's Plus member.  Only $130-something compared to over $200 elsewhere.  The bottle is big enough for two treatments, if needed.  The other ovicide is Ovide.  Smaller bottle, but smaller price.  Not sure if it's as effective.

Baking soda paste. :)

I did that, and for the first few days I mixed baking soda in with the dishsoap as well as I worked it into hair.  All in all I would rather deal with the vaseline than the bugs.  I can tie my hair up so you can't see the greasiness from vaseline.  That doesn't help cure the bug problem.  My kids have said if there is a time machine invented they have plans to treat Noah and his family for lice before they get on the ark and plan to swat those 2 mosquitos he allowed on.  They hope that will mean no more blood suckers in our time if they did that lol.