Menu

When it rains.....

AlmiraGulch

There's no real point to this post except for me to voice my guilt in real life.

My brother and his family have been on the brink of financial disaster for the better part of three years.  Doesn't matter how, long story, it is what it is.

My sister-in-law and all the kids drove from where they live in Oregon last week down to California to visit her mother and her sister and then my sister, and I also flew to my sister's.  As a surprise, I flew my brother there, too.  

Driving home today, their van caught on fire about 3.5 hours from home.  The fire department gave them hotel and food vouchers, but they have no money to pay the tow truck guy and no money to get home tomorrow.    

My first instinct is always to rescue, so I'm sitting here thinking about how I can help them, but really, I just can't.  And it isn't my responsibility anyway, but I still feel guilty.  They didn't ask for my help, by the way, so why I feel like I need to provide help that wasn't requested is beyond me.  

Anyway, I feel so badly for them and I wish they could catch a break.  If anyone feels like sending some positive thoughts and energy their way I sure would appreciate it. 

There's no real point to this post except for me to voice my guilt in real life.

My brother and his family have been on the brink of financial disaster for the better part of three years.  Doesn't matter how, long story, it is what it is.

My sister-in-law and all the kids drove from where they live in Oregon last week down to California to visit her mother and her sister and then my sister, and I also flew to my sister's.  As a surprise, I flew my brother there, too.  

Driving home today, their van caught on fire about 3.5 hours from home.  The fire department gave them hotel and food vouchers, but they have no money to pay the tow truck guy and no money to get home tomorrow.    

My first instinct is always to rescue, so I'm sitting here thinking about how I can help them, but really, I just can't.  And it isn't my responsibility anyway, but I still feel guilty.  They didn't ask for my help, by the way, so why I feel like I need to provide help that wasn't requested is beyond me.  

Anyway, I feel so badly for them and I wish they could catch a break.  If anyone feels like sending some positive thoughts and energy their way I sure would appreciate it. 

The parts I bolded are why you feel the need to help.  You are a kind and caring person. :grouphug:

Sending positive thoughts for your brother and his family.

How are they going to get home without any money? 

My heart goes out to them. I hope they are OK.

You feel guilty because they are family and traditionally families helped each other out. I wouldn't be able to help a family member out financially either. Life is hard for us all but it hurts to see a family member in trouble.

Sending you warm wishes also and I hope everything works out.

How are they going to get home without any money? 

I have no idea.  I know they were calling people to try to get a ride today, and they posted on Facebook asking if any of their friends in the area could help.  But there are 6 of them, so either someone needs a 7-passenger vehicle, or 2 vehicles/drivers.  As of last night a few people had responded that that they couldn't do it. I haven't looked this morning.  And of course they could have spoken to someone directly.

I once helped my sister when she had no money to get from her home where she was living in another state (marriage on brink of divorce, really poor with absolutely no money for anything, son truly hungry). My mom and aunt drove and I felt like I needed to come along. She needed some clothes because she couldn't do laundry. I felt awful for her. The drive was the cheapest thing we could do for them. I'm happy she was able to stay with my mom because I couldn't help her beyond riding to go see her. I wanted to do more. It's the caring thing to do, so I understand why you feel guilty.

Would it be impossible for you to drive to them? Could you help them rent a small car for just the one day? I don't know how much money that is though. It might be too expensive. What a mess. I'm sorry. :(

:grouphug:   It's hard, I know. We went through a rough patch with mil quite a few years ago. Fil was diagnosed with cancer and died about a week later. Some weeks later their house burned down. (They'd moved to an assisted living center to be close to the hospital so mil wasn't home when this happened.) And mil was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was hard being so far away and not being able to help. Mil did get through it all but it was a tough time.

I'm sorry your family is going through hard times. :grouphug: