Menu

No outside extras... And I am freaking out!

My kids have always had extras....art classes, music lessons, swim team, soccer....just extra stuff going on where they could have enrichment or social time.

This year only my dd 15 has a once a week 1/2 hour guitar lesson and THAT IS IT! The boys adamantly did not want to play sports (no soccer, football, basketball...). And neither are playing an instrument..

I have been wracking my brain trying to think of things we could do instead of scheduled activities. These kids are going to need to get out and DO something. I like to stay HOME to HOMESCHOOL, but we will drive each other bananas just being here all.day.and.all.night with no diversion somewhere. We are very rural, so there are no museum/city type activities. The Y is over 1/2 hour drive and few classes in a not so great atmosphere.

I need commiseration, encouragement that my kids won't get wonky on me, and IDEAS of what the heck to do with these guys that is active and engaging, and NOT too expensive.

Thanks,

Faithe

Oh, my children are dd 15, ds 11 & ds9

I'm kind of in the same boat. My kids are down to one thing. Our homeschool group is no more and I have no hopes of finding another.

They don't want to do anything I suggest though!

I'm thinking of trying to get them into more hobbies. My older son actually is all set. He is very good about just finding stuff to do. He has all sorts of stuff going. But my younger son (8)...no he is the one that is always bored (but doesn't want to do anything I suggest).

So I'm going to .... :lurk5:

I like the idea of hobbies. These boys would play Legos for days without sleeping or eating if I would let them. They are best friends with each other, but have no problem playing with other kids etc.

Hmmmmm.....hobbies sound good. What are you thinking about?

Can you try hiking, bicycling, or swimming at a local indoor pool?

Last fall I did Couch to 5k with my then 9 and 10 year olds. We had to abort early because my son had some asthma issues, but it was good for all of us.

I would definitely institute some sort of daily regimen of physical activity. There are lots of websites with calisthenics or exercises for children. You could set a goal and celebrate when you reach it, or plan a nice bicycle trip that you work up to, etc.

You could also have a quiet hour every day where everyone (including you!) has to work on their own hobby. No napping!!

Can you try hiking, bicycling, or swimming at a local indoor pool?

Last fall I did Couch to 5k with my then 9 and 10 year olds. We had to abort early because my son had some asthma issues, but it was good for all of us.

I would definitely institute some sort of daily regimen of physical activity. There are lots of websites with calisthenics or exercises for children. You could set a goal and celebrate when you reach it, or plan a nice bicycle trip that you work up to, etc.

You could also have a quiet hour every day where everyone (including you!) has to work on their own hobby. No napping!!

I could, however, quite honestly, I already plan their life enough. I want someone else to lead one or 2 activities so they can learn to listen to another person and work a bit in a group. I think it is good for them to meet up with other kids and do something....it is the SOMETHING I am not sure of...lol!

I am really not good at extra curricular planning! My older kids swam on a US team. That took up their every waking minute outside of school time. My younger kids are not so into it, and quite frankly, that time commitment nearly killed me! I want something simple, short term or no so competitive.....

Art stuff, clubs, hobbies.....where do you find out what is available in your area? I feel like an island,

Honestly? Leave them alone. Boredom will inspire them at some point and if it doesn't, there's always work to be done somewhere around the house. Especially if you are rural.

Time to just be and not have ANYONE planning their life is healthy and good.

It'll be fine.

Could they build?

There are some great treehouse plans out there...

Furniture for it, or for their rooms or a rec room, can be built indoors over the winter--anawhite has neat projects.

Could they do some ham radio stuff? Robotics? Independent 4H stuff? Raise an animal? Chicken coop?

I agree.  This works well for my 11 year old.  When he gets bored he starts coming up with interesting stuff to do.

But my 8 year old?  Ugh, that poor kid.  LOL   When he says I'm bored he is even willing to clean.  It's just I don't have a lot of cleaning to give him (that he can do in other words).

Yeah, not all kids thrive on boredom. My 11 year old is never bored because she can always fill her time. My 10 year old, not so much. He tends to get into mischief if he's left to his own devices ... or he just follows us around the house, driving us nuts.

My 10yo will be playing rec league co-Ed volleyball for the first time this year. There is one game and one practice each week. That's it.

My middle ds played co-Ed volleyball until his senior year. He mostly played in church leagues. The church leagues were 7th grade- adult and only met to play once each week. Some teams were all seniors and some were all jr high. The league through our county rec center is still co-Ed, but divided more by age and they have a middle school league. My middle ds only played on a rec center team one year. Also, any sort of co-Ed volleyball is social and not particularly competitive.

I live in middle TN and while my home is not in a rural area everything here is spread out, so I understand having to drive to get places. Anyway, although home hobbies are nice, it may be very worth it to find a park day for those boys.

HTH-

Mandy

My kids have always had extras....art classes, music lessons, swim team, soccer....just extra stuff going on where they could have enrichment or social time.

This year only my dd 15 has a once a week 1/2 hour guitar lesson and THAT IS IT! The boys adamantly did not want to play sports (no soccer, football, basketball...). And neither are playing an instrument..

I have been wracking my brain trying to think of things we could do instead of scheduled activities. These kids are going to need to get out and DO something. I like to stay HOME to HOMESCHOOL, but we will drive each other bananas just being here all.day.and.all.night with no diversion somewhere. We are very rural, so there are no museum/city type activities. The Y is over 1/2 hour drive and few classes in a not so great atmosphere.

I need commiseration, encouragement that my kids won't get wonky on me, and IDEAS of what the heck to do with these guys that is active and engaging, and NOT too expensive.

Thanks,

Faithe

Oh, my children are dd 15, ds 11 & ds9

Martial arts? You typically have a bit of scheduling flexibility there. Our dojang offers classes 4 days a week. There are two classes offered daytime for homeschoolers, plus classes divided by belt rank 4 nights a week (You would choose 2.).

This is the whole reason I've been pestering my dh that we need to MOVE. My preference would be land in Colorado. So I can send the kids OUTSIDE. Can't really do that here in the low desert in the summer. 

And the neighborhood we live in is not the safest. But my 9yo BOY needs to/wants to GO, GO, and GO some more. Quite a difference from my content-to-be-inside Aspie daughter. *sigh*

When I think of hobbies for him, I picture something he can do on his own, that doesn't require me to transport him anywhere, and is low cost/no cost. With coupons in hand, we may be heading to Hobby Lobby

today to research just that!

Perhaps some fitness? We have found that there are good programs in The Runner's Handbook, and in 7 Weeks to... Push-Ups, Pull-Ups, or use online programs, This site also has good info:

https://www.presidentschallenge.org

Another idea might be to do some Boy Scout merit badges (even if dc are not into scouting); the booklets are inexpensive and the programs/requirements are realistic -- neither too much, nor too little, imo. 

Are dc at all interested in cooking? You could try outdoor cooking, with a dutch oven, or perhaps try ethnic cuisines. Here is a blog from a kid who triesd that:

http://www.192meals.blogspot.com

Could you extend the guitar lessons, using an online program?

What about learning computer applications in depth? The Missing Manuals series can take you way beyond what most people know about common programs. Learning a completely new application can be fun -- and time-consuming, which could be a plus, lol. We did some SketchBook and SketchUp this year -- both excellent free programs. Or you could try animation, blogging, webpage design, film/music editing, etc Or use Finale Notepad (the free version) for music composition. And here are links to free programming resources:

http://boyslife.org/programming,/

I wouldn't worry about the 2 boys. Hobbies, Legos, etc are great for those ages and they have each other. The 15 yo, otoh, her I would be concerned about. Is there anything else she can get involved in? Community theater? Church group? A class at a hobby store? 4-H?

This is my thought too.... She is more of a Social creature too, but also very immature. She has always had LDs which were not as noticeable until the last few years. Sigh. We tried community theatre, but the atmosphere was too...unmmmnnm....s@xual, and yes, it was a kids group! I was thinking maybe some of the adult hobby classes through the college might be good, or through the local craft stores. I just hate not having a real plan!

I have the young girls. and no real advice.

but I can sympathize! my nearest neighbor is 5 miles away ( and they are in the 80's!) town is a good 30 minutes in any direction. because of travel time we only go to town once a week, for the library. if you have other friends maybe schedule to meet when you go to town?

if you were involved in church Wednesday night and Sunday are good opportunities... if you have children at your church.

I don't mind letting my kids get bored, they can always find enough stuff to do at the farm... but I most certainly understand!

good luck and I hope that things go well and that you all maintain your sanity :-)

Sounds like a great opportunity to have the time to:

- pursue a personal interest -- electronics, filmmaking, jewelry making, write a novel, knitting or needlework, boat-building...

- start own business -- animal care, dog walking, yard work, start an online business, make & sell a product...

- do volunteer work

- get involved in a high school group -- Youth & Government, Model U.N., JSA, Mock Trial, Speech/Debate team, 4-H, Future Farmers of America, DECA...

- get involved in an all-ages community activity/group -- history recreation group, ballroom dancing, model railroading...

Check out these past threads for great ideas of very worthwhile academic-based, skill-based, and/or social-based extracurriculars -- or even as extra electives!

Finding extra-curriculars

What extracurriculars for high school

What extra curricular activities for the high school years?

What kind of extra activities for high schoolers?

DS is so, so lonely

Please help me with electives

I think after a while they will learn to appreciate country activities. They might complain until they get used to it. Many people would envy you for being in the country with so much nature at your fingertips.

<<end the kids OUTSIDE. Can't really do that here in the low desert in the summer. >>

I did not live in the desert when my sons were young but am homeschooling dfd now. Since she was in public school until she came here at age 15, and since she is taking a couple of courses of the CC, I kept the public school schedule. But I've always thought that if I were beginning again with middle schoolers or younger and I lived here, I would schedule homeschool during the summer and either take winter off, or in my case, more likely, I'd take spring or fall off, since those are the nicest times of the year in the desert. Plus, none of the support groups meet during summer and my schedule wouldn't be interrupted with park day every week. Of course, one couldn't go to co-ops either, but at younger ages, I don't consider them very important except for social times anyway. Just a thought. I mean, most people want the summer off because it's nicer. It isn't nicer here (although I'll take a 118 F dry heat any day over having to clean snow off one more windshield or sidewalk).