Menu

Poll: How many of your kids know who Roy Rogers is?

Heart_Mom

How familiar are your children with Roy Rogers?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How familiar are your children with Roy Rogers?

• Never heard of him
    • Heard his name, but don't know who he was
    • Know a little about him
    • Know lots about him
    • Other

My dh just drove through Apple Valley earlier this month with the boys and pointed out Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Roads. But that's probably the extent of their knowledge. I honestly have never seen the show and don't know a whole lot about him. I did read the book Angel Unaware by Dale Evans a while back. Boy, that was a heartbreaking story. Beautiful, though.

No it is not, but what would be the source? The Mona Lisa might be discussed in an art class or in an art history book. Apparently Roy Rogers never made it into any book I read in school (or for fun).

Nobody in my family is into (or ever was into) cowboy type movies. I suppose if my parents had been into that I might have heard about it. We didn't discuss cowboy or western type movies (or even stories) in school. I never picked that as a theme for any book I chose.

So ...nope I can't think of where I would have heard about Roy Rogers.

You never listened to Yellow Brick Road by Elton John?

It includes this ditty:

Sometimes you dream, sometimes it seems

There's nothing there at all

You just seem older than yesterday

And you're waiting for tomorrow to call

You draw to the curtain and one thing's for certain

You're cozy in your little room

The carpet's all paid for, God bless the TV

Let's go shoot a hole in the moon

And Roy Rogers is riding tonight

Returning to our silver screens

Comic book characters never grow old

Evergreen heroes whose stories were told

Oh the great sequin cowboy who sings of the plains

Of roundups and rustlers and home on the range

Turn on the T.V., shut out the lights

Roy Rogers is riding tonight

Nine o'clock mornings, five o'clock evenings

I'd liven the pace if I could

Oh I'd rather have ham in my sandwich than cheese

But complaining wouldn't do any good

Lay back in my armchair, close eyes and think clear

I can hear hoofbeats ahead

Roy and Trigger have just hit the hilltop

While the wife and the kids are in bed

DD15: "Didn't he play a cowboy back in the '50s?"

I voted that she knows a little about him, as that was the extent of her knowledge.  She's never seen a show or movie that he was in, so chances are her dad shared childhood memories with her at some point.  He does have a tendency to bust out into "Happy Trails" when one of the older kids is driving off.  Perhaps she heard him singing and asked...

I'm 51, and I've never seen more than still shots of Roy Rogers.  We were a Gunsmoke family. :laugh:

I'm one of "the old-school" who believe a proper Shirley Temple is always made with ginger-ale, and not 7-Up or Sprite. But standards have slipped. Sort of like making a martini with vodka. *shudder*

Bill (traditionalist)

Finally!  A drink about which I can intelligently comment! ;)  And yes, a REAL Shirley Temple is made with ginger ale.  Only slackers use 7-UP. :lol:

I'm wasn't sure how old old school is or when things might have changed, so I looked it up. The original not only had ginger ale, but also orange juice.  Since it was invented in California (by most accounts), regional differences must have developed. I had my first Shirley Temple in the early 1960's at the country club in NJ where my mother worked. It had 7-Up and grenadine; no orange juice. Same when I myself was a bartender in the 1970's in Georgia.

Undoubtedly.

But this one had a full range of merchandise marketed to the most influential generation our country has ever seen (toys, lunch boxes, etc) which are highly collectible, recorded well known (and still oft-played) songs, was famous enough to have not only a chain of restaurants, but also a juvenile cocktail served nationwide...  

My point was, and is, that if you don't know who he is, that's fine, but this is not just some obscure TV persona.  

I honestly can't figure out why this is such a big deal to you...?

I was telling my husband about this thread and he wanted me to ask you if you know who Pierre Briece is.

Do you think that is an apt comparison? You (an American) don't know anything about a very famous American songwriter/singer/tv/movie star, so you ask Erin (an American) about an actor who mostly appeared German low-budget films? Nobody is expecting anyone to know everything.

Roy Rogers in very famous in the US, not at all obscure in the usual sense of the word. You and I are close to the same age and I can name several of his songs. If you didn't know who he was, fine, but there is no reason to be prickly at people who do or try to imply that he must not have been all that famous.

The first time I saw this thread I thought of Fred Rogers and wondered for a minute if all of my kids have ever seen that show. And then I realized I was thinking of the wrong man.

I think Roy Rogers was a cowboy of some sort, right? I'm honestly not certain whether he was a real person or a fictitious character on Gunsmoke or something.

Was he the Lone Ranger? That's the dude that rode a horse named Tonto, right?

I've never seen any of the shows I'm referring to. <ducks>

The first time I saw this thread I thought of Fred Rogers and wondered for a minute if all of my kids have ever seen that show. And then I realized I was thinking of the wrong man.

I think Roy Rogers was a cowboy of some sort, right? I'm honestly not certain whether he was a real person or a fictitious character on Gunsmoke or something.

Roy Rogers is a singer and film/tv actor.

Was he the Lone Ranger? That's the dude that rode a horse named Tonto, right?

8-O The Lone Ranger's horse is named Silver. Roy Rogers is not the Lone Ranger.

LOL

I was prickly at the insistence that I must be culturally stupid if I have never heard of Roy Rogers the person. 

That isn't how I took Erin's post at all.

"Well he has a great drink!" says the 13 year old.  lol

(A Roy Rogers is a Coke with grenadine and a maraschino cherry, for those who might not know)  When I said something about his palomino, Trigger, he said, "Oh!  That guy!"  because they play re-runs on RFD-TV. 

Note: her teen didn't really know who he was by name. 

Guys, Roy Rogers is an American legend.  

I knew who he was about 30 years before I ever saw him on a rerun on TV...  (He was on TV in the 50s, btw)

I completely understand that some of you don't have the cultural connection to this, but you certainly don't have to be a "TV family" to know who he is.   ;)  

Kind of like Mayberry.  You don't have to have a TV to know what Mayberry is...

There were several people in between who said they didn't watch much TV. Erin was just saying you don't need to be a big TV person to know who Roy Rogers is. I don't think she was calling anyone culturally stupid. 

So where would one know about a TV legend from the 50s other than um...TV? 

Seriously...where?  I don't think I'm totally off my rocker for taking it how I took it.

Not everyone in the world is into cow boy movies.

Music and movies? Other cultural references (like Toy Story, the song Bill referenced, the name of the drink, etc)? There are lots of common cultural references out there. I think Roy Rogers is a common cultural reference. That's all *I* thought she was saying. Not saying anyone is off their rocker. I'm saying that I didn't take it that way.

I wonder, also, if it's a cultural thing.

Those of us who live in the West, on ranches, with horsey-types, etc. are more likely to know who he is, regardless of age...

I live out west. Not on a ranch, but rural. DS was way into the whole cowboy/rodeo thing for years even competing and taking equestrian lessons. DS has a ton of western movies that he watched on road trips when he was into that stuff.

He has never heard of him. Neither have I.

I did take it that way.  But then again....why... I don't know.  Not the first time I felt picked on by her.

The funny thing is, I didn't even think she was referring to you. I thought she was answering posts like these:

Either way, I never watched any of those type of shows.

I've heard the name but can't tell you anything else about him. However, I am only 33 and I grew up mostly without TV.

I've never heard of him, either, but we're not much of a TV family (meaning the both the family that raised me and the one I'm raising).

US cultural literacy is important to me personally.  I grew up overseas and did not have that cultural literacy when I came to the US for college.  I've made a point to gain that cultural literacy.  That doesn't mean that I spend hours watching t.v. or movies or listening to music (though I've done my share!).  It means that I google a lot when I see references to people or events that I don't recognize.  I come across a lot of references to things in my reading.  I do the same when I'm reading British books so it isn't limited just to US cultural literacy.  I do have a fair amount of cultural literacy when it comes to the years I spent in Japan and often find common ground there by talking to Japanese about favorite cartoons or musical artists.  I don't know anything recent for Japan though and am probably hopelessly out of touch with the younger generation. ;)  

I don't know what my point of all of this is?  An explanation of why I know many of these people and find it important to know about them?  I don't feel like others have to share my interest in knowing about all these things but I think they might have a harder time relating to me because my speech is peppered with allusions!  

The funny thing is, I didn't even think she was referring to you. I thought she was answering posts like these:

You're absolutely right!  lol

I was completely baffled when Wendy was getting all bent out of shape because I wasn't even referring to her in any of my earlier comments... 

However, I will say Wendy, in response to this:

Not the first time I felt picked on by her.

This answers my question from earlier today in the other thread.  

Obviously you have some sort of an issue with me but I really haven't the foggiest idea why.  I don't have any sort of a hang-up with you.  I honestly can't think of anywhere I've even specifically crossed swords with you.  (I'm not very good at carrying grudges.  ;)  It would require entirely too much effort)

There is so much out there in terms of pop culture to know.  I don't seek out pop culture I'm not interested in.  The point of pop culture IMO is that it is entrainment.  If it is a form of entertainment I don't enjoy, I don't feel obligated to seek it out.

I don't tell people they should be interested in the same things I'm interested in.

I once had a friend who felt it was important to be up on the latest celebrity gossip.  That is mostly what she talked about.  For some reason she was under the impression that to be accepted in a group (in the US, she was from another country) she should be versed in celebrity gossip.  We didn't last as friends.  I had nothing to add to the conversation.  I don't care about celebrity gossip. 

I don't know why anyone would care if you personally know who Roy Rogers (or anyone else) is (other than the purposes of a general poll).  And yes, most pop cultural references are entertainment.  But I know the Rocky Horror Picture show and the basic info about it (the fact that it has a cult following, that people dress up in outrageous costumes that usually involve cross-dressing) despite the fact that I've never had a personal desire to ever actually see the show.  I knew who Robin Thicke was even before his newest controversial song came out even though I'm not personally a devotee of pop music.  I knew who his dad, Alan Thicke was even though I'm not a huge sitcom fan.  I keep up with celebrity gossip just by going through the check-out line  ;)  but I did figure out the whole Kardashian/ Bruce Jenner thing by just putting all the little pieces together (I grocery shop a lot!).  There are currently magazines out with covers with pictures of the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, there were articles when Barbara Billingsley died etc. so I don't just see references to current celebrities.  I also read the newspaper and see references to Maya Angelou, Morsi, Yo Yo Ma and many more influential people.  

my MIL is a hugh Roy Rogers/Dale Evans fan so my kids have grown up watching his movies and tv shows.  We have most of them on DVD.  My MIL has met both of them and even has her picture taken with them.  Dale and her corresponded back and forth the last few years of Dale's life.  So, yes, my kids know who Roy is and are big fans!

I don't know why anyone would care if you personally know who Roy Rogers (or anyone else) is (other than the purposes of a general poll).  And yes, most pop cultural references are entertainment.  But I know the Rocky Horror Picture show and the basic info about it (the fact that it has a cult following, that people dress up in outrageous costumes that usually involve cross-dressing) despite the fact that I've never had a personal desire to ever actually see the show.  I knew who Robin Thicke was even before his newest controversial song came out even though I'm not personally a devotee of pop music.  I knew who his dad, Alan Thicke was even though I'm not a huge sitcom fan.  I keep up with celebrity gossip just by going through the check-out line  ;)  but I did figure out the whole Kardashian/ Bruce Jenner thing by just putting all the little pieces together (I grocery shop a lot!).  There are currently magazines out with covers with pictures of the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, there were articles when Barbara Billingsley died etc. so I don't just see references to current celebrities.  I also read the newspaper and see references to Maya Angelou, Morsi, Yo Yo Ma and many more influential people.  

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I took what Erin said as mere surprise that * so many* people didn't know who he was and used "we're not big on tv" as the reason. I didn't take it as her caring or insinuating that any particular person was culturally illiterate. 

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but I took what Erin said as mere surprise that * so many* people didn't know who he was and used "we're not big on tv" as the reason. I didn't take it as her caring or insinuating that any particular person was culturally illiterate. 

I know.  I was having a side conversation with Wendy.  

I know.  I was having a side conversation with Wendy.  

I quoted you only because it helped me better clarify what I was saying before. I wasn't arguing with anything you said. I agree with what you were saying. I have cultural awareness of lots of things that I'm not into. I'm not into baseball, but I know who Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio are, even modern guys like Arod, etc.  :)

Well, I know Roy Rogers, Dale Evans and Trigger.  I knew him growing up, watched his movies and TV series as reruns.  My girls, though they know the name, don't know who he is.  Actually, Trigger sounded more familiar than Roy Rogers did to them.  I know they've heard their dad and me talk about him.  Guess it's time to show them a few of his movies.