Menu

New career - moving forward at last!

Rivka

Some of you might remember that I had plans to quit my job as a psychology researcher and strike out on my own in a part-time private practice aimed at supporting homeschooling families. July 12th was my last day of work. I've passed my licensing exams, put together my website, worked out a deal with the homeschool center where I'll be practicing, framed my diplomas, and bought everything from malpractice insurance to IQ testing kits to client folders to a stopwatch. I am starting to schedule clients beginning August 20th.

This is simultaneously so scary and so exciting! I have always worked, but I've never had my own business before - I've never been outside the "safe" framework of a set salary, set hours, set benefits, and someone else in charge. Being out on my own is a bit unnerving, and it's way too early to know whether I'll be able to make enough money doing this. And yet, so many people are reacting to this idea with excitement. I think there is a genuine need. I think I will completely love the work.

The scariest part is knowing how much my husband is trusting me. He believes in me entirely. The hardest part is self-promotion. I am... really not built for that.

A number of you had great comments and advice when I was first putting this idea together; thanks for the way you've shaped my plans so far. If you have time to look at my website and give me your reactions/critique, I'd really appreciate it. I'm looking for things that aren't well-explained, things that would concern you or put you off, and any information you think should be added. The site is http://mindsinfocus.net .

Congrats. 

I went to your website and started looking around.  I pretended that I was wanting services and came up with some basic questions ahead of time.  Your website was excellent!  I found my answers (credentials, philosophy, services provided, price, and insurance billing)

It was friendly and professional. 

Nice Job!!

I just went back and checked for contact information and location and was happy to see both provided.   I love that you mention that you accept texts! That is so nice now days.

Best of luck!

I think your website is fabulous. I especially like that you're clear about what services you're not offering. If I were considering hiring your firm, that (along with your clearly-stated fee structure) would really inspire confidence that you would be straightforward and honest about other things. 

I was able to learn a lot from you site--looks good. I did wonder if plain old IQ testing was part of what you do. The emphasis seems to be more on families who are experiencing problems--lots of references to learning disabilities, ADHD, etc. which I assume is your focus. If you also want more run-of-the-mill type IQ work, you might mention that in your description of services offered.

Good Luck!

That's great!  A couple of things I'd mention about the website:

* There doesn't need to be a period after the word Mold on the home page (it's more of a title, not a sentence)

* On the About page, you talk in third person in the first sentence, then move on to first person.  I'd reword it to go one way or the other.  I'd probably make it all first person by changing the first sentence a little bit. 

* On the FAQs page, under "What information will an evaluation provide?" there needs to be a space after period of the first sentence.  I don't know why that caught my eye, so just mentioning it because it did.  There could be others, I didn't look specifically for these.

That's all I saw with an initial glance.  I like how friendly and personable your site is.  :)

For self promotion ideas if you need them check out creativelive.com they run lots of courses mostly aimed at the creative industry but their promotion and marketing courses are more general normally. You can watch the courses for free on their recording days, (it's like a workshop) or the next day when they are streamed live or there are some recent ones available to.buy. I'm pretty sure there's a marketing one on very soon like next week or so.

I was able to learn a lot from you site--looks good. I did wonder if plain old IQ testing was part of what you do. The emphasis seems to be more on families who are experiencing problems--lots of references to learning disabilities, ADHD, etc. which I assume is your focus. If you also want more run-of-the-mill type IQ work, you might mention that in your description of services offered.

Good Luck!

Thanks! You're right, that information was buried in the middle of the "services" page. I've added this to the home page:

Looking for information about your child’s abilities, strengths, and weaknesses? Wondering whether your child might be gifted? I offer IQ and achievement testing, with clear and straightforward explanations of your child’s scores and what they mean.

That's great!  A couple of things I'd mention about the website:

* There doesn't need to be a period after the word Mold on the home page (it's more of a title, not a sentence)

* On the About page, you talk in third person in the first sentence, then move on to first person.  I'd reword it to go one way or the other.  I'd probably make it all first person by changing the first sentence a little bit. 

* On the FAQs page, under "What information will an evaluation provide?" there needs to be a space after period of the first sentence.  I don't know why that caught my eye, so just mentioning it because it did.  There could be others, I didn't look specifically for these.

That's all I saw with an initial glance.  I like how friendly and personable your site is.  :)

Thanks! I made those changes. Glad it comes off as friendly and personable - I was trying hard to keep the professional jargon under control.  ;-)

Best of luck!

I think your website is fabulous. I especially like that you're clear about what services you're not offering. If I were considering hiring your firm, that (along with your clearly-stated fee structure) would really inspire confidence that you would be straightforward and honest about other things. 

Thanks! Yeah, it's to everyone's advantage for the limits of my practice to be very clear. I noticed when I was researching other psychologists' websites that a lot of them don't even make the vaguest allusion to what their services cost. That drives me crazy. It seems like everyone is happier when those things are spelled out clearly without having to call and ask.

Congrats. 

I went to your website and started looking around.  I pretended that I was wanting services and came up with some basic questions ahead of time.  Your website was excellent!  I found my answers (credentials, philosophy, services provided, price, and insurance billing)

It was friendly and professional. 

Nice Job!!

I just went back and checked for contact information and location and was happy to see both provided.   I love that you mention that you accept texts! That is so nice now days.

Wow, thanks for going to all that trouble! I really appreciate this kind of feedback. Of course my good friends have been looking at the site for me, but they already know a lot about my plans so they can sort of fill in any blanks on their own. It's very helpful to have reactions from people who are coming fresh to the whole thing.