Menu

Washington DC or Williamsburg for a 5 and 8 year old?

Guest dziadzia

Guest dziadzia

Hi all, we are planning a visit to my parents in Baltimore.  We should have 2 - 3 days to carve out for a side trip just us and the kids.  I was originally thinking DC for obvious reasons and to at least expose the kids to the main monuments and some of the Smithsonian museums.

Then I realized Williamsburg/Jamestown is having their homeschool days while we will be there.  I have never been to either but something about the more hands on/ living history approach makes me think the kids may like it a bit better.  Has anyone attended this area with similar aged kids and share your experience?  Are the exhibits and activities there engaging for this age or not so much?

Thanks for your input!!

Williamsburg!  You can go to Busch Gardens while you're there.  The exhibits are more kid-friendly, and there is plenty to do in the (modern) city of Williamsburg.

The exhibits in D.C. are wonderful, but there are always hordes of people around, and you'll have to deal with traffic and crossing streets all the time. 

Another vote for Williamsburg. We went last summer when DD was 7 (and DS was 1, so his opinion doesn't count). She had a spectacular time.

I'm dying to take DD to Washington DC because she is a US history buff, but I think she'll get much more out of it if we wait a year or two. Williamsburg/Jamestown are designed to be such immersive experiences (is that a word?) that the kids can just learn so much practically through osmosis. I think DC requires more background and focus to get a lot out of it.

Also, we had a great day at Busch Gardens and a fun evening at Water Country USA. Williamsburg offers a great  blend of fun and learning. I'm a huge fan! 

Well Williamsburg is a drive from Baltimore so it would depend on if I was planning 2 days or something. I wouldn't drive there and back but it's like 5 hour drive or so from me?

But I do think Williamsburg can be a little more fun than DC at times for those ages with all the costumes and such. But I'd probably do the museums in DC just for the shorter drive. :)

My five-year-old really enjoys both as long as we stick with things that he likes. Both places have plenty of things for him to do. But either can be boring depending on what we choose to do.

Even though Williamsburg is further from Baltimore than DC, it's much less of a hassle to visit there. There's plenty of parking and it's a much smaller area to cover even you'd still be walking a lot. But it's also more expensive.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice.

We went to Williamsburg last year with a 5 year old and new 2 year old. My dd loved it! She especially loved the Governors Mansion and the Wig Shop. We went the first couple of days of the homeschool days. I can't wait to g back in a coup,e of years when we're actually studying American history.

If you want to do Bush Gardens pay attention to the operating hours as they are limited. Also the water park wasn't open when we were there.

One thing my dd had a hard time with was all of the bees around. So just be aware that there are tons.

We had a great time at the Jamestown National Park in June.  My oldest completed the Jr Ranger work and we all learned a lot.  We were only there a few hours on our way to OBX, we should do the glass blowing some other time.  Next time we might have to do Williamsburg ...

I vote Williamsburg. I would not plan to stay at Great Wolf Lodge though. While I love GWL, I think GWL is a destination itself.

I would do three days in Williamsburg, including one day for Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center. 2 days on just Williamsburg would be a nice relaxed pace. If you are not that into history do one day and go to Busch Gardens. The docents in Williamsburg are fantastic with kids. When ds was 6 one docent, a craftsman who was actually building a house, talked to ds for close to an hour discussing very tool and technique ds asked about.

How often do you visit your parents in Baltimore? I'd plan one day trip to DC sights each time you come. A carefully planned day trip could include 2 museums and some monuments.

Guest dziadzia

Wow, such great response in such a short time!  I'm new to posting here, so thank you :)

Yes, the drive will be longer down there at about 3 1/2 hours.  But I figure it will be more relaxing overall in terms of parking and transportation.  I do like the idea of Great Wolf Lodge since the kids will certainly LOVE that experience.  Lots to think about it.  Maybe we can at least drive by the White House on the way home to prove it's a real place :)

I've been the GWL in Williamsburg a 3 times. When we've gone we haven't left the building during our stay until checkout. I think our visits have been 2 nights. The waterpark is fun, magi quest is fun, story hour is fun. I figure I'm paying for all that and I'll just let my dc do that while we are there. I couldn't see spending all day somewhere else and having the energy to really take advantage of GWL at night and then get up and do it again.

We've been to Williamsburg many times and have really enjoyed it staying at more basic lodging. I think my daughter was 12 before she connected that GWL was in Williamsburg.

Lots of people do do both, but I think my family enjoys both separately more than they could if combined.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but we may be visiting Williamsburg soon, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a nice hotel. We would need a suite, if that makes any difference. I haven't been there since I was a kid, so I don't have a clue!

Thanks! :)

We LOVED the Kingsmill Resort, about 10 minutes outside Williamsburg. It was so relaxing for dc to come back to a place where they could swim, take walks, etc. Kingsmill is beautiful, on the banks of the James River, with its own pond and river dock, etc. They have rooms and suites, small and large. The accommodations are scattered about in various small buildings -- a plus imo, because you can park your car right outside. I telephoned my reservation and asked for/got a room overlooking the river. (Same price as booking online.) We went a few years ago, but if they still have the deal that gets you the buffet breakfast, take it. The buffet was sumptuous, and they didn't run out of the 'good' items, like raspberries and smoked salmon. 

Ages and ages ago, I stayed at the Williamsburg Inn. It was so nice to be able to walk into Williamsburg, but it is terribly expensive. The Williamsburg Lodge is also right in town and is supposed to be quite good. What I would avoid -- Williamsburg Woodlands -- it's practically in the middle of the big visitor parking lot and looks ghastly from the outside. You would be in the same place you'd end up after a short drive from a nicer place.

We stayed at the Wyndham Patriots Place timeshare resort. We had a one-bedroom unit and it was very nice. It's one of Wyndham's older properties in Williamsburg (they also run the Kingsgate and Governor's Green), but it was perfectly adequate for our needs. We got a very good price through www.getravelop.com

I also have relatives who recently stayed at the Powhatan Plantation and were pleased.

I stayed at Woodlands. It was not ghastly in the least. It has outdoor play areas. The pool is outdoors, so that may not be available. If you want to walk there is nice trail to the colonial area, but you can take the bus from the visitors center.

That said there are many options that are not operated by Colonial Williamsburg. however if you stay in a Colonial Willimsburg property I believe you admission is free or greatly discounted.

I'd definitely say Willamsburg. It's so children-friendly, and once you park your car, you're there all day. D.C. is great but maybe not as interesting for younger children, and everything is more spread out and will require far more walking. I think D.C. would be much more tiresome for younger children.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but we may be visiting Williamsburg soon, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a nice hotel. We would need a suite, if that makes any difference. I haven't been there since I was a kid, so I don't have a clue!

Thanks! :)

I'm pretty sure we stayed at a Marriott Residence Inn when we visited Williamsburg. Supper was actually included (Monday - Thursday), there's a kitchen to cook your meals, and I think breakfast was included too. We were 7 in a suite and there was plenty of room.

Saw in a previous thread.  Homeschool coupon code "HOME" for Great Wolf Lodge.  I believe it was any room for $145/night plus taxes.

We LOVED the Kingsmill Resort, about 10 minutes outside Williamsburg. It was so relaxing for dc to come back to a place where they could swim, take walks, etc. Kingsmill is beautiful, on the banks of the James River, with its own pond and river dock, etc. They have rooms and suites, small and large. The accommodations are scattered about in various small buildings -- a plus imo, because you can park your car right outside. I telephoned my reservation and asked for/got a room overlooking the river. (Same price as booking online.) We went a few years ago, but if they still have the deal that gets you the buffet breakfast, take it. The buffet was sumptuous, and they didn't run out of the 'good' items, like raspberries and smoked salmon. 

Ages and ages ago, I stayed at the Williamsburg Inn. It was so nice to be able to walk into Williamsburg, but it is terribly expensive. The Williamsburg Lodge is also right in town and is supposed to be quite good. What I would avoid -- Williamsburg Woodlands -- it's practically in the middle of the big visitor parking lot and looks ghastly from the outside. You would be in the same place you'd end up after a short drive from a nicer place.

We stayed at the Wyndham Patriots Place timeshare resort. We had a one-bedroom unit and it was very nice. It's one of Wyndham's older properties in Williamsburg (they also run the Kingsgate and Governor's Green), but it was perfectly adequate for our needs. We got a very good price through www.getravelop.com

I also have relatives who recently stayed at the Powhatan Plantation and were pleased.

I stayed at Woodlands. It was not ghastly in the least. It has outdoor play areas. The pool is outdoors, so that may not be available. If you want to walk there is nice trail to the colonial area, but you can take the bus from the visitors center.

That said there are many options that are not operated by Colonial Williamsburg. however if you stay in a Colonial Willimsburg property I believe you admission is free or greatly discounted.

Williamsburg! We'll be there then, too. :)

We stay at the Powatan. It's lovely for our needs and not too far to get to CW.

I'm pretty sure we stayed at a Marriott Residence Inn when we visited Williamsburg. Supper was actually included (Monday - Thursday), there's a kitchen to cook your meals, and I think breakfast was included too. We were 7 in a suite and there was plenty of room.

Thank you all so much for all of the great suggestions -- I'll check them all out!!! :)

Well Williamsburg is a drive from Baltimore so it would depend on if I was planning 2 days or something. I wouldn't drive there and back but it's like 5 hour drive or so from me?

But I do think Williamsburg can be a little more fun than DC at times for those ages with all the costumes and such. But I'd probably do the museums in DC just for the shorter drive. :)

This was my thought exactly. The drive to Williamsburg is significant, and what google maps tells you will surely be much shorter than the reality. I-95 is the worst. My husband just drove down from DC (so southbound 95) at 1:00 in the morning, and it was backed up. Worst. Freeway. Ever.

That said, every time I'm in Williamsburg, I find myself saying, "I could totally live here" about a hundred times. It's pretty awesome.

Hi all, we are planning a visit to my parents in Baltimore. We should have 2 - 3 days to carve out for a side trip just us and the kids. I was originally thinking DC for obvious reasons and to at least expose the kids to the main monuments and some of the Smithsonian museums.

Then I realized Williamsburg/Jamestown is having their homeschool days while we will be there. I have never been to either but something about the more hands on/ living history approach makes me think the kids may like it a bit better. Has anyone attended this area with similar aged kids and share your experience? Are the exhibits and activities there engaging for this age or not so much?

Thanks for your input!!

I think either could be great, but when are you going? I have often found homeschool days to be a way for businesses to draw people in during their slow, off season times. In other words, when no one else wants to go. When my kids were about the ages of yours we went to homeschool days in Jamestown, but it was in November and freezing. Since almost everything is outside, it was not a pleasant trip ( though my kids still loved it). Don't all kids love everything at those ages?

Anyway, I would choose DC if it is likely to be cold. The Natural History and Air & Space museum would be my top picks for those ages.

Just read through the whole thread and I'm surprised to see so many pick Williamsburg over DC, even though both are great. My kids found the museums I mentioned absolutely magical at those ages.

We did both a few years ago, when dd was 2, ds was 4, and oldest ds was 7.  My kids loved Williamsburg a lot more than DC.  The museums were ok, but they liked the hands on aspects of Williamsburg.  We also did Busch Gardens, which was fantastic as well.