Menu

Broadchurch!

Kim in Appalachia

We now have BBC America! and I now have a DVR. :)  So I recorded Broadchurch Wed night and watched it last night.  It was amazing!  The acting, the writing, everything was so good.  It was a bit gut wrenching, but enjoyable.

Why aren't there shows like this in the US.  It was so real.  Everyone reactions, the way it all played out.  It wasn't a cold murder mystery mellow drama, but moving, realistic murder mystery.

I'm going to enjoy having BBCA.  I am looking forward to Luther, and there were a few other shows that looked good.  Though the commericial for Law and Order UK made me laugh.  I may have to watch it to see what it's like.

I agree--Broadchurch was great! Another mystery I also recently enjoyed was a PBS Masterpiece production called Place of Execution (via Hulu so . . . commercials). Here's the summary:

A young girl mysteriously vanishes from her English village home. Forty-five years later, a journalist's attempts to make a documentary on the case threaten to shatter the lives of all involved.

Why aren't there shows like this in the US. .

Fox is going to make an American version of Broadchurch. Ick. Why can't Americans just watch the real thing? I am kind of ticked it isn't going to be available online (legally) except for the first episode. I'd buy the season on Amazon like I do Doctor Who as it airs, but they don't have it available for streaming.

Fox is going to make an American version of Broadchurch. Ick. Why can't Americans just watch the real thing? I am kind of ticked it isn't going to be available online (legally) except for the first episode. I'd buy the season on Amazon like I do Doctor Who as it airs, but they don't have it available for streaming.

I hate when they do that too.   And, it's rarely as good as the Brit version.  They just want their piece of the money pie - and are too lazy to come up with their own good shows, IMHO. 

I wonder what people would think if some American decided to come up with his/her own Americanized version of Harry Potter?  :rolleyes:

I wonder what people would think if some American decided to come up with his/her own Americanized version of Harry Potter?  :rolleyes:

Wasn't that one of the proposals when the movies were first being made? Supposedly Spielberg's idea with Haley Joel Osment as Harry, IIRC.

It's available on US iTunes. I just bought he season pass a few days ago. Maybe Amazon will have it a bit later?

I confess I do like the American version of The Office better (I stopped watching shortly after Steve Carrell left), but I can't think of any other examples.

I liked the American version of The Office better, too. That is the only Americanized version of a BBC program (programme? ;) ) that I liked better.

I remember cringing when I heard MTV was going to an American version of The Inbetweeners. Reading this thread reminded me that I hadn't heard what happened with that project. Apparently it was horrible.  This list surprised me because I had no idea they tried to make an American version of my beloved Vicar of Dibley with, gack, Kirstie Alley in Dawn French's role.

Apparently, there are already scenes cut from the US airing. I didn't notice it during the first episode until it was pointed out by someone. It was something relatively minor, but there aren't many things you can just leave out of this type of show or entire parts of the plot become hard to follow. The small details do matter.

As much as I love the fact that I have BBC America for the first time ever (thank you U-verse and the technician DS3 named "Wire Boy"), I'm not thrilled about their reputation for cutting important scenes, especially in Doctor Who.

Apparently, there are already scenes cut from the US airing. I didn't notice it during the first episode until it was pointed out by someone. It was something relatively minor, but there aren't many things you can just leave out of this type of show or entire parts of the plot become hard to follow. The small details do matter.

As much as I love the fact that I have BBC America for the first time ever (thank you U-verse and the technician DS3 named "Wire Boy"), I'm not thrilled about their reputation for cutting important scenes, especially in Doctor Who.

I know, I hate that they cut stuff.  It's for our (US) commercials, but it's annoying.  

We would have loved to have gotten U-verse, but it's not available here, thanks to TN law (which limits where cable companies can be/go. Our area doesn't even have Charter or any other big name cable, just local and it's pricey and awful), but maybe someday....So right now we have Direct.  

I know, I hate that they cut stuff.  It's for our (US) commercials, but it's annoying.  

BBC programmes don't have adverts when shown in the UK because they are financed by the licence fee.  I don't see why they can't just give them longer slots so as to be able to fit in ads when showing in the US.

L

I thought "Broadchurch" was pretty much a British version of the American show "The Killing," except in "The Killing" the victim was a girl and the head detective was a woman. Even both leading detectives are coming from a previously bad case. However I don't think the "Broadchurch" case will lead us to native American grounds. ;)

Edited to add something I found on Wikipedia: The Killing is an American crime drama television series based upon the Danish television series Forbrydelsen (literally The Crime), translated as The Killing in its English language distribution. (so we can't even claim The Killing either LOL)

We finally had a chance to watch the 2 episodes that have aired.  Wow. It's an emotionally draining show to watch, but I can't wait until next Wednesday. Olivia Colman is so good!  I'm having a harder time not picturing her as Sophie from Peep Show than I am Tennant as Doctor Who!

Wait? What? Why are the streaming options cut? There are no commercials on those! Grrr. That's danged annoying.

We really like broadchurch and cutting bit of shows is like finding out the only version you've read of your favorite book is actually abridged. :/