Menu

how do you store your homemade broth? and one other question...

ProudGrandma

When you make either chicken or beef broth? how do you store it?  do you freeze it (and if so, in what) or do you can it? Can it be simply hot water bathed?

A friend of mine gave me a whole bunch of soup bones...can I just put those in water and make beef soup broth?  How long do I cook it and what spices do you put in yours??

thanks.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_beef_stock/

I usually just toss mine into the slow cooker after supper and leave it on all night until lunch the next day.  I'll toss in celery, onion, salt, peppercorns, bay leaf with the bones.  If the bones are big, I'll crack them.  Since we get our meat cut (dairy farmer's wife here), I can tell the guys to cut the bones up into smaller pieces for me.  Roasting them first is very tasty also.  But, truthfully, I'm too lazy to do that. :)

I simmer it for 24 hours or so, with some vegetables added -- carrots, celery, onions, if I have them; otherwise, just the bones and water and maybe some salt. Oh, and a splash of vinegar to help calcium leech out of the bones.

I like to freeze mine in silicon muffin cups, in at least half-cup portions. Then when it's frozen, I pop the portions out and put them in a ziplock bag, and then I can grab however many cups I need. Sometimes a recipe calls for a cup or two, and sometimes I need several cups.

I simmer it for 24 hours or so, with some vegetables added -- carrots, celery, onions, if I have them; otherwise, just the bones and water and maybe some salt. Oh, and a splash of vinegar to help calcium leech out of the bones.

I like to freeze mine in silicon muffin cups, in at least half-cup portions. Then when it's frozen, I pop the portions out and put them in a ziplock bag, and then I can grab however many cups I need. Sometimes a recipe calls for a cup or two, and sometimes I need several cups.

Brilliant!

I bought a few boxes of square plastic containers at a rummage sale (like this). I use them for freezing berries, broth, anything. I do not use them in the microwave, but they are great for portions because they come in quart sizes. 

I label with with a piece of masking tape saying what they are and the date I put them in the freezer. 

I don't use spices so the broth can be used for anything. Besides, spices taste better if not cooked, frozen, and then reheated. I will add celery and possibly carrots if I have them. 

I make my broth in the pressure cooker and then I can it in quart jars in the pressure canner. The pressure cooker has made broth making a million times easier for me - the prolonged simmering wasn't working out well for me. Plus I can make smaller batches in the pressure cooker which is a plus because I overthink making big batches (which then make more than I am able to can at one time).

I save my bones in a bag in the freezer along with veggie scraps and toss it in when making the broth. I add a little apple cider vinegar to the water as well to help pull more goodness out. I also have liked the results where I broil the bones and veggies for a bit before putting them in the water.

I freeze it in reused glass jars (salsa, jelly, relish, whatever I have), just leaving some space at the top.  I tried using some of those plastic cups w/ lids that restaurants give kids, thinking I could pop them out into a big ziplock & have measured portions, but they wouldn't come out.  

I use ziplock freezer bags and mason jars, labeled. When we have a chicken I throw the carcass in a stock pot with 8-10 cups of water, clean vegetable scraps (carrot, celery, onions with skins, garlic cloves) and simmer it on low for about 10-12 hours. It is wonderful for making rice, or soups of course. :)

I boil mine down so that it is more concentrated, like bullion. Then I freeze in mini muffin pans, or ice cube trays. Once frozen I stick them in Ziploc bags, and throw them in a recipe with about a cup of water. It's a bit more work at the start, but saves on freezer space and is very easy to use.

Some of it I freeze in ice cube trays, and then keep the cubes in zipper baggies.  I also use a Tupperware hamburger patty set and freeze stock patties.  I have also frozen it in mason jars before - but you have to leave space at the top if you do that, and I warm the glass slowly when I use it. 

When I make the stock, I boil a lot of bones with some onion, celery and garlic.  I strain it and then boil it longer to concentrate it.  I don't add salt until after it's concentrated.  I let it cool to a warm temp and then use a gravy separator to remove the fat layer before I store it.

I LOVE the idea of boiling it down until it is more concentrated....NEVER thought about that...why bother to freeze water??  How do you know when it's "done"....thanks for that!!!!  I can do the same with the beef bones, can't I?? 

When you do this....how much do you put in each freezer bag....a cup...or more??

I LOVE the idea of boiling it down until it is more concentrated....NEVER thought about that...why bother to freeze water?? How do you know when it's "done"....thanks for that!!!! I can do the same with the beef bones, can't I??

When you do this....how much do you put in each freezer bag....a cup...or more??

I used to do a cup of broth frozen directly in the freezer bag, but I had issues with leaking during thawing and it was almost impossible to get out without thawing. Also pouring all that broth into bags was messy.

Now I simmer it down (after 12+ boiling and straining) to about 2c of liquid for a turkey or 3-4 chickens. The liquid is thick, like gravy. I scoop 2 tablespoons (1 coffee scoop or 1/8 cup) into a silicone mini muffin pan and freeze. Then I put all the little broth "muffins" in a ziplock.

For a recipe, I will use one "muffin" plus a cup of water in place of a cup of broth. For something like rice, I will throw a "muffin" or two in the cook water for flavor.

I used to do a cup of broth frozen directly in the freezer bag, but I had issues with leaking during thawing and it was almost impossible to get out without thawing. Also pouring all that broth into bags was messy. Now I simmer it down (after 12+ boiling and straining) to about 2c of liquid for a turkey or 3-4 chickens. The liquid is thick, like gravy. I scoop 2 tablespoons (1 coffee scoop or 1/8 cup) into a silicone mini muffin pan and freeze. Then I put all the little broth "muffins" in a ziplock. For a recipe, I will use one "muffin" plus a cup of water in place of a cup of broth. For something like rice, I will throw a "muffin" or two in the cook water for flavor.

help me out here then...how would you do it...

I just finished boiling 7 small chickens (we butchered these, but they were abnormally small....so I thought I would just cook these, use the meat for casseroles and make some good broth.) and removing the meat.  I now plan to put the chicken bones in a huge roaster....put in the water from when I boiled the chickens and let it simmer over night and into tomorrow...or until I get a chance to deal with it.  Do I cook it with the lid on or off, at what temp...and should I add water at any point...(probably not, right...so that it becomes concentrated, yes?)...and then I just cook it until it becomes "gravy" consistancy, right?

Then how do you cool this off?  Do you just let it sit some place and cool...does it need to cool in x number of hours or what exactly? 

Then, since I only have about 36 mini muffin spaces, do I put the rest of the broth in the fridge while it's waiting to be frozen?

Sorry if my questions seem dumb...I haven't really done this the right way...ever before...and I want to be happy with the results.

thanks.

help me out here then...how would you do it...

I would simmer with the lid on for ~18 hours ( That's how long I do a chicken broth).   If I add any thing, I usually do it for the last 3-6 hours, but lately I've only been adding a bit of turmeric (about 1/2 to1 TBS) to a 12 quart pot.     Remember to add some acid (vinegar or lime/lemon juice) to the pot (about 1/4 cup is sufficient).   

I sometimes strain the pot  right away, but I sometimes leave it overnight to cool before straining.   I've never had any problems.  I don't open the lid once I turn off the heat if I'm going to let it sit before straining. 

Don't worry, it's all easier than what you think.   I store in 2liter mason jars in the fridge with enough fat to "seal" it.  But we go through broth VERY quickly here as we like to drink a bowl of plain broth with breakfast everyday.   

so if I leave it overnight to cool...or whatever, if there are little scraps of meat left, will they go bad?  I know there was some meat on the bones...I took off most of it, but I know I didn't pick the bones completely clean.  I always thought if the the broth didn't cool fast enough, it would go bad....but you say, "no, it won't"

thanks for your help!

I LOVE the idea of boiling it down until it is more concentrated....NEVER thought about that...why bother to freeze water??  How do you know when it's "done"....thanks for that!!!!  I can do the same with the beef bones, can't I?? 

How much do you usually use at a time? About a can? If that's right, freeze in two cup portions. If you use less, freeze in one cup portions. OR when your broth tastes right to you, reduce it by half and freeze half as much as you usually use, but plan to double that amount with water.

I cook my stock with carrots, o ions, and celery until the carrots are flavorless. This means all of their deliciousness s in the stock :-) 7 chickens sounds like a lot, but I NEVER seem to make enough stock to always have it on hand. You may be on to something.

help me out here then...how would you do it...I just finished boiling 7 small chickens (we butchered these, but they were abnormally small....so I thought I would just cook these, use the meat for casseroles and make some good broth.) and removing the meat. I now plan to put the chicken bones in a huge roaster....put in the water from when I boiled the chickens and let it simmer over night and into tomorrow...or until I get a chance to deal with it. Do I cook it with the lid on or off, at what temp...and should I add water at any point...(probably not, right...so that it becomes concentrated, yes?)...and then I just cook it until it becomes "gravy" consistancy, right?
Cook with the lid on and check every few hours and keep it full or at least covering the bones. Once it's cooked, strain out the meat and bones (pour through a colander into a big pot or bowl, then pick out the meat from the bones). Take the liquid and put it back in the pot and boil it to concentrate (takes a few hours).

Then how do you cool this off? Do you just let it sit some place and cool...does it need to cool in x number of hours or what exactly?
I let it cool until its manageable - maybe 1/2 hour.

Then, since I only have about 36 mini muffin spaces, do I put the rest of the broth in the fridge while it's waiting to be frozen?
Yup!

Sorry if my questions seem dumb...I haven't really done this the right way...ever before...and I want to be happy with the results.thanks.
No problem! There are a million little details!

I figured if I was going to make this kind of mess, I am doing it ONCE....not seven times...

the broth with bones is simmering in my roaster...my house smells so yummy!!! Hoping it doesn't boil down to nothingness overnight...it won't right???

I always do at least 4 chickens or a turkey! Big batches are a tiny bit harder than small ones but you get so much more for your time!

If it is covered, it won't boil to nothing overnight. Refill in the morning if needed. :-)

well, I woke up this morning the a roaster full of bones and aobut 3/4 inch of broth left.  It was very thick...but not much left.  I didn't know what to do, so I removed the bones and now I am cooling everything....I hope that is right...but I was VERY surprised to have very little broth left....I didn't think adding water would really do anything...because the bones are brittle and dry. 

I will freeze the thick broth in little muffins today...gleen whatever meat is left from the bones and call it a day.

So, now tell me...if I should have done something different, what should it have been??

I freeze it ziplock bags laid out flat. Once they're frozen I can stack them or set them upright to save on space.

I tried the ball plastic containers and had terrible luck with them.

The Ball plastic containers are terrible--they shatter and the lids don't stay on.  I freeze mine in plastic quart containers or ziplock.

yesterday I make 24 little muffin broth thingees...and had broth left over, so I put it in the fridge.  Whne I went back to make more, it was like jello...is that ok?  Assuming that it is...do I need to let it come back to room temp so I can make the rest of the "muffins"?  or what exactly?

yesterday I make 24 little muffin broth thingees...and had broth left over, so I put it in the fridge. Whne I went back to make more, it was like jello...is that ok? Assuming that it is...do I need to let it come back to room temp so I can make the rest of the "muffins"? or what exactly?

That means you made excellent broth! I just use it as is.

I remember the first time I made stock being so shocked that it was all gel, I was sure I'd done something wrong. I stored in it 1 cup containers but was too nervous to ever use it and it all eventually went to waste (like it spend 5 years in the freezer until I finally tossed). How silly that is to me now a few years into making broth comfortably.