Menu

Secular zoology

Roadrunner

its mostly 'life science' - you could look at the Lab of Mr Q - his life science is free.  I just got animal books about individual animals out of the library.  we did it in first grade, and there were a lot of books way above my son's level at our library.  we actually made a book about some of the animals in our local zoo and made a book.   you could probably do a higher level of that

its mostly 'life science' - you could look at the Lab of Mr Q - his life science is free. I just got animal books about individual animals out of the library. we did it in first grade, and there were a lot of books way above my son's level at our library. we actually made a book about some of the animals in our local zoo and made a book. you could probably do a higher level of that

That's probably the best solution, but I was hoping for less work for me :)

We have Sassafras. It took him less than two weeks to read through that and he is begging for more!

I am looking at Memoria press ad they have units on insects and birds. I wish they had more. I am also not sure if it's secular,

We love David Attenborough.  Surprisingly, dd6 was not the only kid in her K1 Coop class that knew of him.

No specific curriculum, but we have had good luck with a mishmash of books, magazines, and PBS.

1) Nature on PBS.  Tivo it and watch it together every week, or look for it online. Check it out from the library, or get disks from Netflix.

2) Nova on PBS also has evolution-friendly shows.  Some are zoology based (Venom, Decoding Neanderthals) and some are not.  Tivo it, look for it online, check it out from the library, or Netflix it.

3 ) Zoobooks magazine subscription is $30 for 10 issues.  Or you can just check them out from the library.

4) Ranger Rick magazine subscription is $15 for 10 issues.  Or you can just check them out from the library.

5) Book: Tree of LIfe by Rochelle Strauss is the best book I've seen for exposing elementary kids to concepts of kingdoms, vertebrates/invertebrates, species, etc.  It doesn't cover everything, but it is a really good beginning.

6) Usborne books are surprisingly secular.  If I wanted to write a secular curriculum for  zoology, I would use:

Usborne Living World Encyclopedia

Usborne World of Animals

Mysteries and Marvels of Nature

Be sure to use the Quicklinks for enrichment.

Throw in these for fun:

Nature to Color

Dot to Dot Nature

I can't believe I have never seen this before! I just ordered couple of his books.

His books are good, but it's really his video series that are amazing, IMO.  Life of Birds and Life of Mammals are streaming free on Amazon Prime and Netflix Instant.  And Amazon Instant has his various other series for good prices.

I teach college zoology, and I have looked high and low and found no secular zoology that is acceptable to me that is accurate and comprehensive.  so....I made my own!  I took my college level zoology and scaled it down to the middle school level (too old for your child, unfortunately, or I would pass it on).  if you are "sciency", grab a high school zoology lecture text *and* lab book, and create something acceptable to you.  here 's there framework I used to set up DD's lessons (I left out scientific method and other analytical stuff because it's not useful to an 8 year old) :

microscope use - lot's of practice in looking at slides and making our own

kingdom: Monera (bacteria):- slide work, culturing bacteria on agar, investigating the role of bacteria in decomposition and food production, and drawing bacteria types

kingdom:  Protista - slide work, learning types of protists, investigating roll of protists.

kingdom: fungi:- slide work, growing fungi, investigating the role of fungi in decomposition and food production (make beer, bake bread), and drawing and collecting fungi (use the supermarket as a resource here)

kingdom planate:  types of trees and flowers, collecting and making a notebook with drawing and specimens, photosynthesis (simplified), role of plants as basis of food chain.

kingdom:  animalia:  broken down by phyla with each phyla characterisitcs noted.  notebook of drawings of different phyla representatives.  we are doing a lot of field trips to zoos, aquariums, etc... with this.

also, gareth stevens publishing has an entire series of books that you could read to him and use as your spines and then go collect specimens or make drawings from each book.

Is this something you are willing to share with those who have middle school aged children who want to pursue Zoology? Mine is in 7th and I have found several books on Mammal Anatomy but I would love additional suggestions! :D

duckens, on 27 Jul 2013 - 3:37 PM, said:snapback.png

6) Usborne books are surprisingly secular.  

Why surprisingly?  Just curious.

Good question.

I think I feel that way because my Usborne lady is deeply religious.  That's probably not a very big sample size.  :blushing:

We've used a LOT of Usborne in our homeschooling so far.  The science books have all been evolution-friendly, and the quicklinks all reinforce this.  I have no disappointments with their nonfiction books.

Oh, and look at the Scientist in the Field books.  The majority of them are about zoology.  And they're so, so good.

Thanks for this recommendation! I hadn't seen these before. Our library has almost all of them and my animal-loving dd will enjoy them a lot.

Ha, commenting on this thread turned out to be really helpful for my own planning! Dd10, when asked what science she really wants for fall, said "animals, please." She's wanted, since she was 2, to be a veterinarian when she grows up. Awfully glad now for this thread!

Good question.

I think I feel that way because my Usborne lady is deeply religious.  That's probably not a very big sample size.  :blushing:

We've used a LOT of Usborne in our homeschooling so far.  The science books have all been evolution-friendly, and the quicklinks all reinforce this.  I have no disappointments with their nonfiction books.

Oh, I see.  The company is mainstream Brit and (as far as I know) has no religious affiliation.

L

Unless you accidentally find a reprint from MFW. And if they keep that up, eventually they may find their way into the used books circulation. 

You mean Usborne licensed MFW to make special versions of their books excising things and adding stuff according to their worldview?

You mean Usborne licensed MFW to make special versions of their books excising things and adding stuff according to their worldview?

MFW adds religion to Usborne?  Tell me more.

L

yep...look at page 33 of their catalog. http://www.mfwbooks.com/pages/php/samples/catalog_2013.html  I only know this because I received a catalog in the mail. 

They call it "impacting culture" or the "privilege of influencing." And they want to work with other publishers.

I call it eventually beware when buying used books. 

They say all they change is the date of things, "millions of years" to "many years" to make it "neutral"---either way--it seems ridiculous. 

ETA: That link seemed to die so you can use this one http://www.mfwbooks.com/setcnt/mfwcatalog to view the catalog online.

yep...look at page 33 of their catalog. http://www.mfwbooks.com/pages/php/samples/catalog_2013.html  I only know this because I received a catalog in the mail. 

They call it "impacting culture" or the "privilege of influencing." And they want to work with other publishers.

They say all they change is the date of things, "millions of years" to "many years" to make it "neutral"---either way--it seems ridiculous. 

ETA: That link seemed to die so you can use this one http://www.mfwbooks.com/setcnt/mfwcatalog to view the catalog online.

Huh.  I mean...  I'm...  Huh.  I don't mind companies issuing their own worldview books, but this feels oddly sneaky.  Buyer beware indeed.

Huh.  I mean...  I'm...  Huh.  I don't mind companies issuing their own worldview books, but this feels oddly sneaky.  Buyer beware indeed.

They're not being sneaky Farrar, they're "impacting culture".

But anywho... I'm reading this thread with interest because my 1st grader is in love with all things animals and insists he's going to be a zookeeper slash paleontologist slash archaeologist when he's grown. 

We're using RSO Life this year and I'm making a list of fun books and resources for him from this thread. :)

ETA: http://www.amazon.com/Nat-Geo-Wild-Animal-Atlas/dp/1426306997/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375044444&sr=8-1&keywords=national+geographic+animal+atlas  This book is cool. My ds loves it!

NOT a curriculum or spine but.... I bought this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Encyclopedia-Animals-Complete-Visual/dp/0520244060/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1375044095&sr=8-4&keywords=animal+encyclopedia

at a yard sale(in so-so condition) when mine were 6 and 4. I had to re-buy it new last Christmas because they "loved" it to pieces. We even made up a game (The Animal Guessing Game) using this book. My children know things about creatures I've never even heard of.

They're not being sneaky Farrar, they're "impacting culture".

But anywho... I'm reading this thread with interest because my 1st grader is in love with all things animals and insists he's going to be a zookeeper slash paleontologist slash archaeologist when he's grown.

We're using RSO Life this year and I'm making a list of fun books and resources for him from this thread. :)

ETA: http://www.amazon.com/Nat-Geo-Wild-Animal-Atlas/dp/1426306997/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375044444&sr=8-1&keywords=national+geographic+animal+atlas This book is cool. My ds loves it!

Costco periodically sells those National Geographic animal almanacs. They are fun. We also own encyclopedias, but I think books that dig deeper are what we crave around here. If your child is an animal lover and you allow TV, check out Wild Kratts on PBS. That was the show that sparked my son's interest. We has seen every episode probably three times.

yep...look at page 33 of their catalog. http://www.mfwbooks.com/pages/php/samples/catalog_2013.html I only know this because I received a catalog in the mail.

ETA: That link seemed to die so you can use this one http://www.mfwbooks.com/setcnt/mfwcatalog to view the catalog online.

For the love of money I guess anything can be revised :)

Costco periodically sells those National Geographic animal almanacs. They are fun. We also own encyclopedias, but I think books that dig deeper are what we crave around here. If your child is an animal lover and you allow TV, check out Wild Kratts on PBS. That was the show that sparked my son's interest. We has seen every episode probably three times.

Ds9 LOVES Wild Kratts! It combines his love for animals and his love for all things tech/science/building oriented. Dd5 loves animals and she watches it too. Ds9 keeps watching them over and over again (we don't have TV, just Netflix) and he knows so many animal facts now. Now to convince him to watch Jeff Corwin and Crocodile Hunter :)