Menu

Do you clean to "process" your feelings?

I've realized over the years that when I'm dealing with something I feel angry, sad, hurt, confused about, I clean. I just spent the last two hours cleaning because of feelings of unrest. Dh is not at peace with the decision to take the traveling position I posted about (3days on 4days off and vice versa in Utah, flying home for days off). He;s in such turmoil whenever he comes home from work. He begins going to Utah in a week. I think he wants to try for the job closer to home even with all it's imperfections. I just don't know how to encourage him.

While I do not have peace over him taking the job closer to home I told him I'd support him if he wants to apply. I just know if he doesn't go through the process and something goes wrong with Utah, he's going to beat himself up and say, "I shoulda...."

My cleaning frenzy now has me feeling drained. And now I have to cook. blech! I'm ready for a vacation!:glare:

No. I don't clean for any reason other than I have to:tongue_smilie:. I know people who do though. Unfortunately when I need to process something, or am angry or whatever, I eat. Truly I wish I could process through my feeling via cleaning. I would be thinner with a much cleaner house. As for dh I wish I had an answer for you other than :grouphug:. If you are really stuck though I live in Oregon and my garage well. . .nevermind.:D

Yes, I do clean when I'm upset or angry. It does help me to get calmed down. I also think that clearing the clutter away feels like clearing the problem away. I'm not a clean freak, but there are times I know if the house was more clean it would help me feel better. My dd doesn't understand that at all. In fact, I'm not sure that any of my family does.

I started homeschooling 3 years ago, and housecleaning has become more challenging for me instead of better. My dd was in private school for 3 years. I did work very part time, but was home enough to keep things in pretty good shape. I feel like it's so much harder with us home all day.

Yes, I clean, I know for me it is a control thing. I can't control the other person/situation but now my nice in control sparkling house or room makes me feel good, and I have scrubbed all the dirt out and processed with power.

But you know what is really great is finding a strand like this one and just getting a giggle from some of the great postings - "chopping off bushes with loppers imaging it is someone's head that you are upset with!"

I'm even less likely to clean than usual when feeling stressed. Almost guaranteed I'll eat something sugary, and then not only feel upset about whatever the original problem was, but guilty about eating junk on top of it.

Michelle T

Sadly, I am with you, Michelle! :tongue_smilie:

Heck, no! I avoid cleaning at all costs. ;)

I eat when I'm sad or worried. Preferably chocolate or carbs.

If I'm mad I have been known to dig or weed outside. I have an entire flower bed that began because two members of my writer's group had a public and disgraceful spat. As a board member, I was one of the ones who decided their fates. I dug a LOT of dirt working out those emotions, let me tell you.

But the result is a really pretty flower bed with a fish pond. :D

If you run out of things to clean at your house, come on over. I have plenty for you to do.

No, I'm in the camp who do not clean for any reason other than I have to and company is coming. Sometimes I eat but not a lot. Usually I browse the internet, fret, pace, etc.

If I can get my whits about me I will pull out an instrument/sing and practice something that takes serious concentration. I suppose it gets the control thing all you cleaners speak of, and provides distraction on something that is not going to be verbal in some way, like reading or a TV would be. This usually helps the most but far too often I forget about that nifty trick and just pace, browse, nibble, etc.