Menu

Why are we fat? (I mainly mean Americans, but anyone can postulate.)

Ginevra

American Obesity  

341 members have voted

1. 1. Which factors do you believe are responsible for American obesity?

• Most Americans eat too much (quantity).
    • Most Americans eat too much (calories, empty foods, junk).
    • Typical Americans do not exercise at all or enough.
    • Many Americans are fruitlessly following bad dietary advice.
    • GMO foods are not regulated in America and this is a culprit.
    • Americans eat too much fat.
    • Americans eat too many carbohydrates or simple sugars.
    • Many Americans are just genetically large; they are not actually "overweight."
    • Something else.
  2. 2. If you are American, how do you describe yourself?

• Fit; not overweight at all
    • A little chubby, but acceptable to me.
    • Needing to get in shape, for sure.
    • Frustrated: tried repeatedly, but can't make any headway.
    • Overcame fat and am now fit.
    • Something else.
  3. 3. Do you exercise and/or follow a particular eating plan?

• Yes, I exercise.
    • Yes, I follow a particular eating plan (Atkins, LFHC, WW, something else).
    • No, I don't usually exercise on purpose.
    • No, I don't follow any particular eating plan.
    • I generally have good eating habits.
    • I generally eat in a way I believe is not very healthy.
    • Something else.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But here is the thing, I'd gain weight eating what they tell us is healthy. My kids used to do a city tennis program that was a lot about promoting good eating. So they'd send home pamphlets, etc. I did not agree with much of the advice. Granted, it was probably an improvement over a steady diet of Ho Hos and regular Coke. But I don't know where they were pulling the info from.

I used to help with WIC nutrition classes. What they used tell people to eat and how to cook was just flat out appalling. There is a reason why people gain weight within 6 months of getting on food stamps or WIC.

For Peaceful Chaos: Veggies

Patty-Pan Squash. Oh, honey-babes, these are so delicious! Slice them into circles about 1/4" thick. Heat some Olive Oil and/or Butter in a large saute pan or skillet. (Medium heat) Place them in the pan and listen to them sizzle. Sprinkle salt and pepper over them. After about 3 minutes or so, use a pancake turner/spatula to flip them to their other side. Sprinkle more seasoning if you want. Pan-sear them for another 3 minutes. Serve. Turn off the burner! :D

Fresh Green Beans. I love this method. Get out a medium saucepan filled a little more than half-way with water. Bring the water to a boil. If the Green Beans still have little "tails" on them, cut them off; wash them. Once the water boils, stick the beans in for about 5 minutes. They don't have to boil all to heck, but you are blanching them. They should still be firm. Pour them into a strainer. Sprinkle them with Olive Oil and Sea Salt. YUM! Love it.

Carrots. If I'm cooking carrots, I most often steam them. I have an electric veggie steamer. Very worthy appliance. I've used it a million times. I use a veg peeler to skin the carrots - hold the fat end, apply the peeler and kick off the strip. Turn as you go. Chop off the top. Cut into "coins" or sticks. Put some water in the bottom of the steamer. Steam for about 15 minutes or whatever the directions on the steamer say. I like a little dill sprinkled on the cooked carrots; dh is always determined to butter them, but I usually don't.

Zucchini/Squash with tomatoes. I make the heck out of this all summer. I have too many zucchini as always. Take a few squash that are medium-sized; slice off the top. Cut them into circles about 1/4" thick. You can again cut them in semi-circles if they are large. Take half an onion. Sweet, yellow or red; all are good. Peel off the fragile skin, cut off the ends. Cut into circle, then chop the opposite way until you have small dices. For the tomatoes, you can cut up whole fresh tomatoes or use a can of diced tomatoes. Either way. Heat up olive oil/butter in a skillet. (Medium) Put the onion in; let it cook but not burn. After a couple of minutes, throw in the squash/zukes. Salt, pepper and/or add oregano and basil, fresh or dry. If fresh, I use a few leaves. If dry, I use about a teaspoon or so. Saute that for a few mintues. When it starts to get soft, add the tomatoes. If you have fresh garlic, smash it, take off the skin and put that in there, too. Saute the whole mess and then turn down the heat to low. Let the wetter aspect of the tomatoes evaporate. This is an awesome side, or you can serve it over rice or pasta or you can throw some meat in there and make it a meal. Very nutritious, especially if you have fresh herbs.

But here is the thing, I'd gain weight eating what they tell us is healthy.  My kids used to do a city tennis program that was a lot about promoting good eating.  So they'd send home pamphlets, etc.  I did not agree with much of the advice.  Granted, it was probably an improvement over a steady diet of Ho Hos and regular Coke.  But I don't know where they were pulling the info from.

I agree with you as well, but we are talking babies step here right. ;) WIC has definitely improved over the years I have been on it for 10 years now. The vouchers are much more balanced now allowing produce and whole grains etc. I have no experience with food stamps. We would probably qualify for some but I have never applied. I just don't know how far education can really go when people don't listen. I also think loosing weight is a very complex thing and every one is different in that regard.

I don't think it's reasonable to act like it is all one way or the other.  

Yes, there are poor people with bad diet habits who lack the know how or the wherewithal to learn new habits and make healthier and at times more frugal choices.  There are many reasons for this and anyone with 1/2 a heart can't look at a specific example without feeling some compassion.  

Yes, there are also some poor people with bad diet habits who are in a position to make some changes but for whatever reason choose not to.  They have a kitchen, they have time, they may even know how to cook but choose not to.  They are being irresponsible.  Even at that though it is none of my fracking business if they decide to eat coke and ho-hos, anymore so than it is my business if Warren Buffett decides to eat coke and ho-hos.  

It's insulting to insist that it's "easy" for people, poor or not, to garden and cook, especially when you don't have the foggiest about their budget or schedules or ability.  It may not even be affordable to do so (start up costs are high and are a gamble in many climates as other posters have shown by sharing their gardening failures).  It is equally insulting to insist that poor people just absolutely don't know better and can't help themselves and are to be pitied.  

I grew up poor.  Not low income.  Not a little poor.  Deep, deep poverty nearly to the extreme that it is possible to find in the US, including having been homeless, lived in a van, lived in a tent and lived in a motel at different times.  I learned to cook and cook well.  My affluent husband was the one who didn't know how to cook a vegetable.  My father was from a middle class background.  My mom was from generational poverty.  I am here to remind you that people from generational poverty can change and make different choices but also that the problems faced in such situations do not go away with the snap of the fingers and an internet search at the library.  

As is usually the case, the truth is complex and in the middle...not to the extreme of either argument.  

Oh, but on Weight Watchers 20 oranges would be ok...no?

Well, my very reasonable leader would say that you are just supposed to eat until satisfied, and that if you are having a hard time gauging that and you are having trouble losing weight, then it is likely your over-consumption of fruit is the culprit. 

And it does cost Points to blend fruit, which I believe has to do with the fact that blending condenses it down so much that you are no longer consuming a reasonable 0-point quantity.

I used to help with WIC nutrition classes. What they used tell people to eat and how to cook was just flat out appalling. There is a reason why people gain weight within 6 months of getting on food stamps or WIC.

When did you stop teaching these classes? I don't know anyone who gained weight from getting on WIC unless you count pregnancy weight. ;)

It is funny for me to think of people not being able to peel potatoes.  I can peel enough for my family of 4 (2 big boys and one big man) in about 10 min.  Of course then I fry them because they are just yummy that way.

I have to laugh, because on time, my SIL and I were talking (arguing) about making dinners and I said I make mashed potatoes a lot and she said, "What? That takes like an HOUR!" I was like, "Huh??" I still don't know what the heck could possibly take her an hour in making potatoes! Maybe it's the peeling.

Thank you!  People seem to think the advice these organizations give is good, but I'm not seeing it.

I don't think all of their advice is good at all but it is still better than what many eat on a daily basis. I have never heard them encourage people to drink pop and eat twinkies(or other junk). KWIM

If you spend any time on Sparkpeople (where I spend a lot of time) you find that many people have used food for emotional "healing".  Some have eating disorders - including anorexia and bulimia.  Many are disabled.  Many have had a lot of small bad choices that have added up.  There is a reason that there are hundreds of spark teams on the board that deal with all sorts of issues (in addition to teams for geographical locations, hobbies etc.).  

One of the things I love about Sparkpeople is that they emphasis baby steps starting from drinking enough water to logging in your fruit and veggie intake.  They have recipes where they have tried (not always successfully) to pare down the calorie and fat or carb content of favorite foods.  More importantly for me, they foster a community that is very encouraging and positive.  I don't struggle with some of the problems that some do with binge eating etc.  - my weight problems seem to be due to my hormone and other health problems - but I love it that someone can confess a problem with binge eating there and no one condemns them but offers good practical advice and lots of hugs and cheering on.  I know this doesn't answer the question in the OP (other than pointing out again that there are multiple causes for weight gain) but I do like to get the word out there for this free resource.  

But the sugar makes some people hungry.  So for some people who eat fruit and too many carbs the trouble is they are very hungry.  I realize this is not true for everyone, but Weight Watchers doesn't really address that sort of problem. 

If I ate a bowl of oatmeal, with an orange, and maybe an egg white for breakfast, I bet I'd get a pat on the back from the Weight Watcher people.  But I'd be STARVED within a half hour.  I suspect I'm not alone on this.

I need protein and fat. Not only do I get hungry quickly, I also don't feel well after eating mainly carbs - even healthy carbs. Having enough protein and fat makes a huge difference in how much I eat.

However, there are some carbs I just love. I'm going to check out this Whole 30 thing if I can eat sweet potatoes and beets on it. Beets roasted with olive oil and garlic - ummmm, my mouth is watering.

I have to laugh, because on time, my SIL and I were talking (arguing) about making dinners and I said I make mashed potatoes a lot and she said, "What? That takes like an HOUR!" I was like, "Huh??" I still don't know what the heck could possibly take her an hour in making potatoes! Maybe it's the peeling.

Ha ha.  That is funny.  I don't particularly  like to cook. But I do find that the more I do it the easier it becomes and the faster it goes...when I get out of the habit even for a short while I find myself fumbling around in the kitchen.

I think there should be classes offered to teach cooking...but realistic classes.....like how to put a meal together completely....how to start earlier in the day with the things that can be prepped...that sort of thing. 

What I can't figure out is if people don't know how to do something....why don't they just google it!  I had to hem dress pants for my ds the other day.  My mom taught me but I am TERRIBLE at it....and I wasn't sure I was doing the stitch right...so I googled it!  Watched a video on it.

I'm lazy and don't peel the potatoes :lol: .  I eye them and cut any spots off after a nice wash but then they all go into the pot.  I've never met a mashed potato, french fry, oven fry, roasted potato or whatnot that was inedible with the skin on.

I'm with you on this. The only time I peel potatoes is when I cook Russets for potato salad. Otherwise, scrub, cut away bad spots and cook. The kids are eating unpeeled oven fries for lunch right now.

But the sugar makes some people hungry.  So for some people who eat fruit and too many carbs the trouble is they are very hungry.  I realize this is not true for everyone, but Weight Watchers doesn't really address that sort of problem. 

If I ate a bowl of oatmeal, with an orange, and maybe an egg white for breakfast, I bet I'd get a pat on the back from the Weight Watcher people.  But I'd be STARVED within a half hour.  I suspect I'm not alone on this.

I don't know, maybe I've been lucky. My leader has always been of the mind that you need to do what works best for you, so if oatmeal keeps you satisfied, go for it. The leader frequently describes how she needs protein at breakfast, and so do I because oatmeal just doesn't do it for me. I've tried slow cooked oats, steel-cut, with peanut butter, etc. and I'm always hungry very soon after. So I build most of my breakfasts around eggs or egg whites. 

Yeah a whole other ball of wax that doesn't seem to ever be addressed by nutrition advice or popular diets.

Since I'm talking so much about Weight Watchers, I would like to say WW addresses emotional eating quite frequently, and it's one of the more helpful components for me. Over the years I've learned I'm not so much a general emotional eater, as I am a stress eater. 

I've also done calorie counting (including Sparkpeople), Intuitive Eating (gained 30 pounds on that), Beck Diet Solution, Atkins, Slim Fast, Volumetrics, Richard Simmons Food Mover, and I'm sure a million other plans in the past 25 years. I am very knowledgeable about diet and fitness plans, and I learned something from each of these plans even if I abandoned the diet as a whole. I've also learned that different programs work for me at different points in my life. Lately I think the biggest achievement I've had is to just allow myself flexibility and drop the notion of perfection. 

Beck Diet Solution is a wonderful resource to just get your brain ready to lose weight. For me, the principles from that book are constantly reinforced by Weight Watchers and it works with any plan. I recommend anyone wanting to lose weight read it! 

Yeah a whole other ball of wax that doesn't seem to ever be addressed by nutrition advice or popular diets.

Heck, even here when someone is upset the advice is to "go eat some chocolate".  I think if one is upset and harried and feeling mentally in a bad place they really don't give a crud what they eat, especially if it makes them feel momentarily better. 

I find this to be true....for me it is when I don't get proper sleep....the next day I can't feel satisfied with food...and I want to just keep stuffing my face.

Now when I am upset....I don't eat at all.  Lost 20 pounds in a month when I was going through my divorce.

My step son eats emotionally.  He has a look on his face while he eats. Difficult to explain really.

When did you stop teaching these classes? I don't know anyone who gained weight from getting on WIC unless you count pregnancy weight. ;)

12+ years ago.

They always recommended the juice (which they give way too much of, iirc, it was 2 juices for every gallon of milk) and cereals (which were nasty and unedible by themselves) be added to as many dishes as possible to make use of them and stretch meals. Adding lots of carbs to those meals. No one ever used the dried beans. I'd say maybe 1 person in 30 knew how to cook dried beans and would actual do it. They would suggest admittedly cheap recipes, but few of the clients ever cooked, much less cooked meatloaf with ground up WIC corn flakes, for dinner. For some it was ignorance. For many it was logistics of time. They were at WIC for the milk, cheese, juice and peanut butter for their kids.

My only "beef" (har har) with Whole 30 is the no dairy thing.  Cheese is like my go to convenience food.

No dairy? Say it isn't so. Life without cheese would be so depressing and sad.

Marie Callendar's used to have this sign that said "Apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze" more or less.

No dairy? Say it isn't so. Life without cheese would be so depressing and sad.

Marie Callendar's used to have this sign that said "Apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze" more or less.

My dad used to eat cheddar cheese on a thin slice of pound cake.

12+ years ago.

They always recommended the juice (which they give way too much of, iirc, it was 2 juices for every gallon of milk) and cereals (which were nasty and unedible by themselves) be added to as many dishes as possible to make use of them and stretch meals. Adding lots of carbs to those meals. No one ever used the dried beans. I'd say maybe 1 person in 30 knew how to cook dried beans and would actual do it. They would suggest admittedly cheap recipes, but few of the clients ever cooked, much less cooked meatloaf with ground up WIC corn flakes, for dinner. For some it was ignorance. For many it was logistics of time. They were at WIC for the milk, cheese, juice and peanut butter for their kids.

Interesting. I have never really heard things like that at WIC. They have greatly reduced the juice. My ds(the only one on WIC still) only gets two juices a month. Also the cereal selection is better, whole milk is not allowed past age 2, they have a fruit and veggie voucher now, and you can get one whole grain a month(rice, bread, or corn tortillas). I don't get dried beans with WIC anymore. I get Adams natural peanut butter 1 jar a month(and I buy several more jars of this myself). We also get 20 dollars per member during the summer to use at local farm stands or U-pick. I can definitely see that they are improving and will hopefully continue to do so. Although I have done a fair amount of internal eye rolling and smiling and nodding over the years. Some counselors are better than others and most of the annoying ones at my clinic have moved on.

I also find I need plenty of fat too though.  I mean the fat allowance is so low on WW I'd max out my points in one meal.

I believe years ago they attempted a lower carb version except their lower carb version was "eat all the brown rice you want" instead of white rice.

When did you last do Weight Watchers? I don't know anything about a fat allowance or anything.

I think education is always a good thing, but I'm certain kids hear at school and other programs for the poor what is healthy and what is not but they ignore it. I know I have attended dozens of classes offered by WIC telling parents and kids what is healthy to eat. I'm not sure what the real answer to the problem of education is when people do not listen. I mean how many people know smoking is unhealthy but still do it.(I do understand this is an addiction.) Kids follow the example of their parents more than any class. According to the US we are poor making just above the poverty level for our family size and I think we eat fairly well. I do not claim to be perfect but we have a healthy balance of junk and healthy food going on. If there is such a thing. Food is just so expensive. I feel like we spend about all of our money on food, gas, and bills anymore. I put a lot of effort into trying to feed my family the best I can with the resources I have. :)

Nutritional ignorance abounds in my state, so I would not assume that kids are learning this stuff.

Let's see, free breakfast at the school for low income families, every.single.day. Pop tart and chocolate milk. For overweight kids, they get chocolate milk made with aspartame instead of sugar. :huh: Lunches are entirely greasy, starchy, nasty, food messes.

The food pyramid is taught in which kids are told to eat the bulk of their food from grains. Not a healthy diet for humans, but that is what is taught. The pictures handed out at our local elementary school do not contain pics of oatmeal with berries on top, or whole wheat bread (which, bread in and of itself is actually a bit debatable concerning serving sizes), but it shows boxes of macaroni and cheese, white flour pasta, etc. The general idea amongst the teachers is that it's low calorie and low calorie is the sole consideration for weight loss. Veggies and fruits are supposed to be next, instead of veggies being on the bottom of this crazy pyramid. In that picture there are not only fresh veggies, but cans of fruit cocktail, applesauce...the standard sugar added variety, and FRUIT ROLL UPS!!!!! Then there is dairy, and of course meats on top and bacon is shown as every bit as healthy as salmon and well, we all know there is a continuum of this or that being more healthy than another, or this and that being okay in small amounts. Oh, and breaded fish sticks is actually shown on the meat list, only one poster I've seen shows a fresh cut of fish...the salmon. The others showed Gorton's fish sticks. Due to fear of encouraging kids to eat things they could be allergic to, eggs and nuts are not listed so milk and cheese are the notable exceptions.

On the rare occasions that apple slices are offered on the daily school lunch menu, it's with caramel sauce.

Kids are not shown serving sizes. Ask a 10 year old in our 4-H club (we did this once for a health and nutrition class) what a serving size of carrots is and he may tell you one, single, baby carrot. That's a veggie serving. So, if he eats seven baby carrots, hey, he thinks they've gotten their 5-7 in for the day!

It is interesting to note that I found that many of the posters are provided by BIG AG/FOOD CONGLOMERATES for free to the school. Isn't that lovely? :glare:

My mom's diabetes education was absolutely atrocious and she'd be in kidney failure by now if it weren't for me.

So, not all areas have good nutritional advice stemming from school, the community center, programs for low income, or the local health department.

Frankly, my MIL is a retired nurse and she has NO CLUE what is healthy and what is not. ZERO. Her house is full of hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, sugar laden items, white flours, white pastas, pop, etc. Yes, she is an excellent cook and some of her from scratch recipes are divine...such as her enchilada casserole. On the other hand, from day to day, generally most of it is high in simple carbs, high in sugar, high in sodium, and high in corn syrup as well as other preservatives which are hard on the system.

Faith

Ha ha.  That is funny.  I don't particularly  like to cook. But I do find that the more I do it the easier it becomes and the faster it goes...when I get out of the habit even for a short while I find myself fumbling around in the kitchen.

I think there should be classes offered to teach cooking...but realistic classes.....like how to put a meal together completely....how to start earlier in the day with the things that can be prepped...that sort of thing. 

What I can't figure out is if people don't know how to do something....why don't they just google it!  I had to hem dress pants for my ds the other day.  My mom taught me but I am TERRIBLE at it....and I wasn't sure I was doing the stitch right...so I googled it!  Watched a video on it.

Yes, I wonder that, too. I learned how to hem jeans such that you cannot tell they were hemmed from YouTube. One of my favorite cookbooks that I still have and bought when I was around 21 years old is "Down Home Cooking the Leaner, Healthier Way." The recipes are "regular" food. This is how I learned how to make Macaroni and Cheese, Baked "Fried" Chicken, Chocolate Cake and so on.

12+ years ago.

The WIC food here is all relatively healthy and in the spring and summer, they get credits for the local farmer's markets.  The protein option is beans OR PB here per coupon.  Even if someone does eat dry beans, if they eat PB and are smart, they will get the PB because it saves them more money.  The cereal is cherrios or other non-sugar options like grape nuts.  The juice is less than that.  1-2 cans for the whole month depending on the age of the child and about 3-4 gallons of milk.  WIC is a very beneficial program in terms of reducing childhood hunger and unlike other assistance, it can't be used for donuts or sugar water.  I am not a dairy person but milk, cheese, eggs and peanut butter are all better food choices than many families make even if most of it is dairy.  

Nutritional ignorance abounds in my state, so I would not assume that kids are learning this stuff.

That is sad and I think that the US education system as a whole needs a huge overhaul. :( I'm sure these type of things vary by state too. Being in Oregon myself I'd say that healthy living is a much more common pursuit than in other areas of the US, but there is still a lot of unhealthy and undereducated(on health issues) people.

Gluttony and sloth.

I am currently obese. The above is why I am fat. If you have medical reasons for your weight issue, or love someone who does, please do not get personally offended by my opinion: I believe the general population is fat because of gluttony and sloth.

Pride also plays a part: "I deserve this slice of cake because I work so hard." Etc.

My only "beef" (har har) with Whole 30 is the no dairy thing.  Cheese is like my go to convenience food. I also find I need plenty of fat too though.  I mean the fat allowance is so low on WW I'd max out my points in one meal.

It was for me too. Ummm. Those itty baby bell cheeses? And porter cheese with whole wheat crackers and some grapes? Yum. My favorite lunch.

Alas, my body is not processing that like it did when I was 20 and Whole30 made me see I needed to give them up. :(

My first whole30, I permitted myself ONE Siggi Yogurt in a day, no more than 3 days a week. Because I am on the go a lot and a quick yogurt or cheese was my go to thing to grab as I was walking out the door. Within 2 weeks, I couldn't even have one yogurt. I'm off it totally now. One fall to temptation leaves me writhing in pain, so that significantly reduces the temptation.

And I crave tons of protein and fats too. It's something I HATE about fat counters. It just counts fat. All fat as fat. Which is just ridiculous bc 2 avocados and some nuts can trash my fat for the day but there is just no way that's at all the same fat as French fries. So I go over the supposed daily rec of fat every day and feel great doing it, tyvm, stupid fat calculators. I am only continuing to use My Fitness Pal to track what I eat, not for calories.

Let's see, free breakfast at the school for low income families, every.single.day. Pop tart and chocolate milk. For overweight kids, they get chocolate milk made with aspartame instead of sugar. :huh: Lunches are entirely greasy, starchy, nasty, food messes.

On the rare occasions that apple slices are offered on the daily school lunch menu, it's with caramel sauce.

I agree that the school lunch program needs help! My sister is a teacher and her daughters go to the school where she works, and she keeps the school breakfast/lunch menu up on her fridge. I'm appalled by some of the breakfasts. Literally, pop tarts, funnel cakes. It's horrible. I'm sure WendyK would agree, that does not help with hunger at all. (My nieces have breakfast at home and sometimes school lunch, sometimes not). 

They have been making fresh produce available due to Michelle Obama's initiative, but my sister told me a scary story recently. She (as a teacher) was one of the last to go through the lunch line and wanted some of the broccoli that was served, but it had recently been cleared out. Some kids wanted some more of the broccoli too (it's supposed to be unlimited produce). The lunch lady made a huge deal about not wanting to open up another bag of broccoli since it was the end of the lunch hour. I couldn't believe it! I mean, you actually had kids wanting fresh broccoli and you have it readily available, and you're going to throw a fit about opening another bag? I was really mad about that. I honestly think that lady should have been fired, but I guess she's pretty old and it's not like she made tons of money. 

Apparently she did open the bag and they all got broccoli, then one of the other teachers swooped in and took the remaining broccoli as a snack for her class. So good things are happening in the schools and hopefully they will continue to make progress in this area.

So I go over the supposed daily rec of fat every day and feel great doing it, tyvm, stupid fat calculators. I am only continuing to use My Fitness Pal to track what I eat, not for calories.

FWIW, I manually readjusted my Myfitnesspal goals in accordance with my low-carb/high-fat focus.  I filled in the protein goal and the carb goal and the remaining calories were calculated to need to come from fats.  (I look to not go over my carb amount and I sometimes need the protein and fat counters to make sure I eat enough of them, though obviously I don't care if I go over on fats.  It isn't great for me to go way over on protein but that is unlikely to happen much.)

No there is no fat allowance.  The point allowance.

For example, what if I wanted a rib eye steak?  What would be the points on that?  Or an egg fried in butter? 

I never did WW.  I subscribed to a free trial to get to know what it was like, but knew it was likely not going to work out for me.

The egg in butter would be probably 3 points (2 for the egg, depends on how much butter you use. They would recommend you use olive oil if possible but the points would be the same). 

3 ounces of rib eye steak is 5 Points. I don't know how much you'd expect as a reasonable portion, but if you doubled that it'd be 10 points.

For reference, I get 28 Points per day, the minimum anyone gets is 26. You also get 49 extra points per week to use however you'd like, whether it's 7 per day or one huge splurge meal or something in between. 

I was just really curious because your experience with Weight Watchers seemed very different from mine and I didn't know if that was due to you using an older program or having a bad leader or what. A big part of the experience for me is the weekly meeting, which is actually a lot of fun due to a leader who doesn't take herself too seriously and a really snarky group of women. Meetings rarely focus on points and usually focus on confronting the emotional/psychological reasons why we eat. 

My mom's diabetes education was absolutely atrocious and she'd be in kidney failure by now if it weren't for me.

There is one hospital my Dh is adamant we never use because he swears their stupid diabetes education is killing people off. He has had FOUR people he knows personally receive what he feels was such ignorant diabetic advice there that he thinks it majorly contributed to to their deaths. One a child under 12.

My sister lives out of town and we had to drive to her and sit her down and discuss diet bc I spazzed out after listening to her talk in the phone about how her diabetic counseling wasn't seeming to help her. Freaking scary.

The WIC food here is all relatively healthy and in the spring and summer, they get credits for the local farmer's markets. The protein option is beans OR PB here per coupon. Even if someone does eat dry beans, if they eat PB and are smart, they will get the PB because it saves them more money. The cereal is cherrios or other non-sugar options like grape nuts. The juice is less than that. 1-2 cans for the whole month depending on the age of the child and about 3-4 gallons of milk. WIC is a very beneficial program in terms of reducing childhood hunger and unlike other assistance, it can't be used for donuts or sugar water. I am not a dairy person but milk, cheese, eggs and peanut butter all all better food choices than many families make.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I too think WIC can be a great benefit and I think it is great they are improving.

But it's also a case of beggars can't be choosers. If the kids won't eat the cereal (it was always the plain stuff and often generic, which is pasty. Ewww) then the WIC office would suggest ways to sneak it in the food. So it wouldn't be wasted and bc in theory it had some health benefits. And you know what? If I were truly starving or worried my kid would? I'd totally do it bc when you are hungry, how nutritious it is is not the biggest priority. Just not being hungry is the priority.

We never used the juice. Still don't. To me, juice is sugar and I used it just as sparingly.

And I don't think milk, cheese, eggs or peanut butter are bad foods or even unhealthy foods. My kids eat any or all of them every day and I feel not the slightest bit of worry about it. :)

I'm thrilled they are giving produce now! Wow. That's fabulous. Iirc all they ever gave was one pound of carrot a month to pregnant women back when I was on it.

(it was always the plain stuff and often generic

The cereal is plain as in low sugar and food color, but they have many non generic and decent choices even gluten free ones now. My kids like the WIC cereal and are used to that type because I don't buy them the high sugar colorful stuff really. It is funny because occasionally my dh will by that type and they don't like it. We only get two boxes of cereal a month now from WIC so it isn't much anyways.

So since nobody wants to place responsibility in the lap of the adult who is eating too much of the wrong things, what do you suggest is the solution?  Even if you give them greens and such, they will just throw them in the garbage because they don't like them or don't know what to do with them.  So I guess regardless of the reasons for obesity, it's a moot question, since nothing is going to change because nobody is responsible.  I think I get it.

The hardest part is the high carb world we live in.  And the fact most low carb foods have to be prepared (cooked, etc.).  Like today, I took my son to the movies.  Everyone munches on popcorn.  I'm not supposed to.  There is nothing they sell there I can have.  Not that I'll die, but these sorts of things people get used to doing and they enjoy it and it stinks when you can't.  Same with going out to eat.  There are so many places I can't go out to eat at.  Or they have one item I can possibly have.  Gets boring.  Parties?  Carb fests....Holidays?  Again, carb fests.

I can relate to this. I have had to go gluten and dairy free a few months ago and I rarely can ever eat anything out of the house now. :( It kinda stinks sometimes. My family is awesome about it though and there is always something for me to eat at family potlucks. :)

Yeah like if everyone you knew were gluten and dairy free, they would all put lots of effort into family gatherings making the tastiest gluten dairy free things you ever laid your taste buds on. 

If you are lucky you get one item.

Now that would be totally awesome! Although I don't expect people to accommodate my ever need. lol It is much harder at my in-laws because it is like a gluten/dairy fest up there every week. Hehe.

So since nobody wants to place responsibility in the lap of the adult who is eating too much of the wrong things, what do you suggest is the solution?  Even if you give them greens and such, they will just throw them in the garbage because they don't like them or don't know what to do with them.  So I guess regardless of the reasons for obesity, it's a moot question, since nothing is going to change because nobody is responsible.  I think I get it.

You are not responsible for the crappy or excellent choices other people make.  They still get to make them, regardless of your opinion.  This is not a hard concept.  You choose to ignore generally accepted veggie and fruit minimums for nutrition and eat out all the time, but again, your choices?  Not mine.  Not my responsibility.  You still get to make your own decisions, good and bad.  

I love homemade french fries. :drool:  Too bad healthy oil is so expensive so it is an occasional treat.

Solution: Spray your fries with a little olive oil and bake them at a high temp so they get brown and crispy. Oh my gosh, they are so good!

Sounds good. How do you spray them though?

I put the sliced potatoes in a ziploc bag and then put olive oil and salt in the bag and shake until they're well-coated.  I still spray the baking sheet with canola cooking spray or they'll stick.  I bake at 450 until they're done (25-35 min, depending on how thick the fries are, how overcrowded the pan is, etc.)

I can't speak for others, but I do place responsibility in the lap of the adult eating. At the same time, I know I can't make the horse drink. For that, I ask what I'm doing for myself and what I'm providing for my family. I don't think it's a moot question as long as people ask it for themselves and their own families, regardless of whether or not everyone at Walmart is fat and buying poptarts. If we each have many good strategies for ourselves and our families, then the message of what helps contribute to fitness spreads, especially if we can discuss this on a public forum. For every person who doesn't care or who has resigned themselves to being fat and has resigned themselves to collecting "lifestyle" diseases with age, there is another person who *DOES* care, who has not resigned, who *IS* looking for useful information on how to change, on what to do, on how the heck to make a reasonably good pizza without wheat flour. Can I foist that on someone who does not care? No. Can this conversation we're openly having change someone's mind, give them hope, be a catalyst for change? Thankfully, yes. Mercifully, yes.

I've made it through 3 pages, and will go back to read the rest, but so far haven't seen mentioned the aggravating factor of cultural environment.

We live in (according to Forbes) one of the Top 10 Fittest Cities. 22% obesity rate, nearly all of which is the very poor areas east of the freeway. So I go out and about and very rarely see anyone who is obese. I mentioned in another thread that the state religion is football, except here, where it's Food: I swear every other conversation is some kind of foodie discussion. People go to Whole Foods like people in other places go to the mall: not because they need something, but just because it's a cultural center. It's normal to exercise like crazy: my kids get asked "What's your sport?" all the time. Middle Girl has taken up running and does half marathons, and nobody in my neighborhood thinks that's unusual. On the other hand, people are very surprised that Wee Girl doesn't quite know how to swim or ride a bike yet.

I always feel fat and unfit here. When I go anywhere else in the country, I feel thin and well-exercised. Dh, when we lived in a different city for a while, gained a lot of weight; not long after we returned here, he lost it all, took a serious interest in his diet, and started marathoning. If I brought the kinds of unhealthy foods to a church potluck, or as snacks for a kids' team, that I see mentioned on this thread, eyebrows would be raised, and people would beg off, claiming gluten allergies or restricted diets.

Whatever the reasons for the ways we eat and move, undoubtedly it's influenced by the social norms we internalize.

Just writing this made me feel guilty. I'm off to the pool for some laps.

Uh huh. Of course. Yes, that exactly what I and others have said. Or not. Not at all actually.

I very clearly stated what has made a difference for ME. (oh and my sister was so inspired by me that she decided to try one more time. For the first time in 20 years she's less than 200lbs and was able to buy clothing at a store. She's beyond over the moon excited. She's been over weight her whole life and used to make fun of me for being skinny. Raised by the same parents and junk diet.)

What have you contributed as a solution? Do you think shame works?

Sounds good. How do you spray them though?

I own this nifty gadget. It's $8 at Target.

http://www.amazon.com/kitchen-dining/dp/B00004SPZV