Menu

A major milestone for my ds

bettyandbob

Ds is 11, almost 12.He has down syndrome. Yesterday, we went to the neighborhood pool and he was greater by a girl from the bus stop, E. another girl, S, was there too. Ds got in the pool with them and played for 1.5 hours, until the girls went home. I did not get in the pool at all. I just watched intently. E just turned 10 and S is 9.

Ds has never been invited to play with anyone else before. I've been his only playmate at the pool his whole life. We swim several days a week in summer and go to an indoor pool weekly in winter. but it's not just at the pool, the playground, church, etc. children have never chosen to include him. The worst was church where I witnessed children actively excluding and later bullying.

The only time another child has wanted to play with us is because I bring toys. That has been problematic because ds doesn't want to share toys. Well, it appears he wants to share with children who actually want to play with him. Yesterday, he shared his toypedo. Today, we went back to the pool and S was there. He shared his rings with her.

Spontaneous play like that is huge. I am grateful for the wonderful neighbors we have. I feel lucky we met these people this year with big changes in our school situation.

When I was a kid, an older boy with Down syndrome lived across the street from the neighborhood playground. He was regularly included and younger kids used to be happy to see him come over. His parents didn't hang out at the playground (nor did other parents in those days). I wonder if not having parents "right there" made it easier for other kids to approach him? Anyhoo, I am so glad to hear of your son's great time! I hope it is the first of many.

We have an inclusive playgroup at our church that is half "typically developing" kids and half kids with some kind of difference that creates social obstacles (austism, Downs, etc.) The kids are pretty young and there is a high volunteer-to-kid ratio. Volunteers provide encouragement and support for kids to play together, work out issues, etc. Each group makes gains in the social skills they need to be in community together: The TD kids learn to naturally include kids who are different and learn to be friends with them; the kids with struggles learn new skills. A lot of sweet friendships form.