Menu

Anyone ditch their smart phone? Other ways to save big?

hsbeth

We are strongly considering ditching our family smart phones and reverting back to standard talk/text phones. We're with sprint and are reasonably happy with their service. Currently we spend over $260/mth for 5 lines with data. It appears that by switching back to a standard talk/text plan and phones we could reduce our monthly bill to about $130 for the same 5 lines.

I used to need the capabilities for work, but I don't any longer. Any other use is really recreational. Of course, my teens are grumbling a bit. I'd offer to let them pay their own line, but we would need to all drop data on the family plan to maximize savings.

If anyone has made the switch, how bad were the withdrawals? It's definitely a habit of sorts.

I have looked at a few other carriers and even considered no contract plans, but unless I'm missing something there's no way 5 lines could come in under $200 or so and still have data?

It depends. I would do some research. If you already have Sprint phones you don't have to turn back in, look into Sprint based PAYG services.

What do your kids actually want? Unlimited texting? Data? Could they go with data only in wifi but unlimited texting?

I spent a lot of time researching all of this when I switched. Every PAYG carrier offers something different and use diff. towers.

I went with unlimited talk/text because I talk a lot but I didn't need a lot of data.

Dawn

I'm bad, I am the only one with data. ;) I figure the kids can get their own when they are old enough and working if it matters that much to them. I do have an older smartphone that I popped dd's sim card into and shut off the data so it works as a regular phone but she can use the wifi anywhere it's available. Maybe if you switched and kept your phones you could do that? We have 4 phones on Tmobile, unlimited talk and texting and unlimited data for me and it is $170/month

Yeah, that is the benefit of plans with SIM cards, you can just stick them in any phone.

My middle son used an iphone 4 with Spot Mobile. We paid $10 every month or two to up his talk/text minutes, but he had data while in wifi. I won't pay for data for my teens, they don't need it.

Many plans wont' let you connect a smart phone if you don't pay for data.

Dawn

You asked about ways to save.

Our biggest spending categories were:

Cell Phone contracts

Satellite TV

Eating Out

Once we ditched the first two, we started saving on the 3rd bit by bit.

Cutting Cell saved us $110/mo.

Cutting TV saved us $100/mo.

We cut eating out by $100+ per month

Oh, and we also cut some of our grocery bill......but that is a whole other post....

I switched to a pre-paid plan and a basic phone. I switched from Sprint to Virgin, but couldn't keep my phone on the Virgin plan. I downgraded to a Samsung Montage and pay 30.00/month for my plan. I'll be getting a plan for ds soon. The phone has a slide out keyboard, so texting is okay. It can go online and my plan allows so many Mb/month, but it's lousy for surfing. I still keep my old phone (cell service no longer active) for use with wi-fi. 30.00/month is about the cheapest I found for a pay as go plan, at least one that allows a decent number of minutes, texting, and so data.

Ways to save:

- only Husband has a data package on his phone (he needs it for work).

- I shop without a shopping list and only buy meat on sale

- I buy large quantities of sale items

- I shop at Aldi and top up at another supermarket as needed (have reduced bill by over one-third)

- attic is well insulated to retain heat/warmth

- heating set at 13 degrees C in winter - any other heat comes from wood stove fired with out own wood; oh, and sweaters

- it's cheaper to warm a bed with an electric blanket than a bedroom

- buy children's shoes in autumn when they are wearing thick socks; in spring they change to thin socks and wear the shoes the rest of the year (doesn't always work, but often does)

- think hard about what television service you need

- don't eat out (we only eat out when we can use £4 for £1 vouchers)

- don't go on holiday

- don't buy coffees out

- use the library exclusively - order books from other libraries if possible/necessary

- shop Lands End deep discount for hard wearing children's clothes

- make sure that errands are run in batches to save petrol

- raise garden plants from seed

- make compost from household waste

Hope some of that helps

L

I wish I could.

I am on the go so much and DS has so many appointments, often in the same day, that I have found that having access to my google calendar means I will actually make it to the appointments instead of missing half of them or stressing that I forgot to grab the updated calendar print out for the day/week.

The only other thing I use it for is to check (and post) on this forum and to do school planning while waiting for appointments. No games or fancy apps here.

We have smartphones with pre-paid plans.

Virgin Mobile (uses Sprint cell towers) for $35/month. Unlimited text and data, 300 talk minutes. Upfront costs, $130 HTC One purchased from VM.

T-Mobile for $30/mo. Unlimited text and data, 100 talk minutes. (Unlocked Google phone purchased for $350)

StraightTalk (Samsung phones use Verizon) for $45/month. Unlimited talk, text and data. ($100 Samsung Centura purchased from Walmart)

With our pre-paid phones, we only pay the state sales tax. IME, local taxes and fees on contract phones really add up. Our Straighttalk service is $47/month including taxes. Also, you can sometimes get discounted Straight Talk Monthly Service Cards at a discount (see slickdeals.net).

If you have access to WiFi most places that you use your phone, look into Consumer Cellular. It runs on the AT&T network so it isn't as reliable as my old Verizon coverage was, but piggybacking onto my parents' family plan brought down my cell bill to $15/mo.

DH needs a full data plan for work purposes, so he's got regular AT&T. So if we're somewhere without Wi-Fi, we use his phone to look up stuff.

My local cell provider has a $40 a month PAYG plan with unlimited everything on local network and a some bonus roaming time when off. I can buddy up to four other lines for another $35 per mo. for unlimited everything, or $25 per month for talk/text.

if the teens want to pay the difference for the upgade . . . you're under no obligation to provide them with any phone.

I'm the only one with a smart phone. dh still keeps his contacts and schedule on paper the exact same way he learned when he was in grad school. the girls are now on their own plans and pay their own bills entirely, so they've gone to smart phones. 1dd also needs hers for work.

I don't have gps - I use my phone. I might not need it often, but I need it when I need it. I also use it for other things so I don't have to lug even more stuff with me.

I actually ditched my cell phone entirely. As our contracts were coming up for renewal we considered getting two smart phones but ended up with one cell and Vonage. But I'm home a lot and I have a (gifted) iPod Touch which runs on wifi so I can text when I have wifi. It's been a pain once in awhile but, mostly, we deal. It saved us $50/month and we only had two "dumb" phones before.

I actually ditched my cell phone entirely. As our contracts were coming up for renewal we considered getting two smart phones but ended up with one cell and Vonage. But I'm home a lot and I have a (gifted) iPod Touch which runs on wifi so I can text when I have wifi. It's been a pain once in awhile but, mostly, we deal. It saved us $50/month and we only had two "dumb" phones before.

This is a great option for the more home-bound family members. My sons used their iPod Touches via our Wi-Fi to text with their friends for many years. I think there is a skype function too as I remember them having mics on their iPod earbuds.

It was only when they went to public school and had afterschool activities that we got them actual phones with texting.

Guest inoubliable

RepublicWireless. They're open now to the public. We've had ours for about a year now. Works on both cell towers and Wifi. You buy the phone upfront. Pay $199 for the phone and pay $19/month for unlimited everything. Or pay $79 upfront for the phone and pay $29/month for unlimited everything. Cheaper than StraightTalk and any other prepaid smartphone plans. We had StraightTalk and it was awful. No signal past any state lines. I don't know if that's how it works for everyone, but $19/month is a better deal than $45/month. :)

https://join.republicwireless.com

I think there's still a referral program going on where I can get you a month free. If you want to go that route, PM me.

HTH.

don't have gps - I use my phone. I might not need it often, but I need it when I need it. I also use it for other things so I don't have to lug even more stuff with me.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I mean, I do legitimately use my smart phone for business management when I'm out of the house, but more often I use it for mapping, price comparison, Kindle reader, etc.

It's a matter of how important it is to you to save money vs. the convenience of an all-in-one gadget. I don't have GPS - I have some ratty old maps in the car that cover about 100 miles. I read/listen to books from the library, and carry a bag that's big enough for a paperback. I have a paper diary that I update from Google Calendar when I check my email.

Husband has been out of work for two years now, and convenience just doesn't take up much space in my calculations. Everyone needs to choose their own comfort level, however.

L

We don't have smart phones (never had) or even a texting plan. My DH and I "text" each other for free via Skype and pcs, iPads, and laptops. We have home wireless and many of our regular outings have free wireless. We haven't had cable for years. We just got a basic net flicks streaming plan and that feels like a HUGE deal. We get movies and videos from the library. We are not poor by any stretch, but we live more conservatively than the average family with our income.

FTR we don't have gps either. I print maps from google maps. My husbands iPad has 4G capabilities, but he only subscribes when he or all of us are traveling.

http://www.t-mobile....ell-phone-plans

TMobiile has their no contract plan

1st line - $50

2nd line - $30

3rd line - $10

4th line - $10

5th line $10

all come with unlimited text and talk and 500MB of data, so that would be $110 plus taxes without additional data.

you can add $10 for additional 2GB of data or $20 for unlimited to each line.

You don't get free or subsidized phones though, have to bring your own.

I have read some really bad reviews on this hybrid plan. It is part wifi and part cell towers and doesn't seem to always transition well.

Also, isn't this Sprint based? We get no Sprint service here at my house or near my house, which would mean that I would have to hang up on people within about 7 miles of my house and wait to get home and call them back once I got into wifi again.

I sure wish they offered more phone options too.

Dawn

RepublicWireless. They're open now to the public. We've had ours for about a year now. Works on both cell towers and Wifi. You buy the phone upfront. Pay $199 for the phone and pay $19/month for unlimited everything. Or pay $79 upfront for the phone and pay $29/month for unlimited everything. Cheaper than StraightTalk and any other prepaid smartphone plans. We had StraightTalk and it was awful. No signal past any state lines. I don't know if that's how it works for everyone, but $19/month is a better deal than $45/month. :)

https://join.republicwireless.com

I think there's still a referral program going on where I can get you a month free. If you want to go that route, PM me.

HTH.

Guest inoubliable

I have read some really bad reviews on this hybrid plan. It is part wifi and part cell towers and doesn't seem to always transition well.

Also, isn't this Sprint based? We get no Sprint service here at my house or near my house, which would mean that I would have to hang up on people within about 7 miles of my house and wait to get home and call them back once I got into wifi again.

I sure wish they offered more phone options too.

Dawn

They do use Sprint towers, but I don't think exclusively. We don't have fantastic Sprint coverage in my town, but we have great service with RW. We also have CredoMobile and they run off of Sprint - no issues. Honestly, I've had no issues going from cell to wifi and back again. I can use cell to call DH while I'm in the parking lot at B&N, switch to their wifi once I'm inside (because you want to use wifi as much as possible), and then back to cell when I leave the store. No issues at all.

Rumor is that there are more phone options coming in the fall. Might be worth it to check back then. You just can't beat $19/month for unlimited talk, text, and data. If you're really wanting to get the most for your money, sacrificing the latest and greatest gadget might be necessary.

Yes, if I needed to go lower in my budget waiting for a better phone would not be a priority. However, making sure I get good coverage would.

I would actually love to get something for $20/mo. But because I am iffy about the service, I don't want to spend the $200 up front and then finding it won't work.

It is an interesting concept and if it works I would be interested in something along these lines. I am in wifi 90% of the time I would say, unless I am on vacation.

Dawn

They do use Sprint towers, but I don't think exclusively. We don't have fantastic Sprint coverage in my town, but we have great service with RW. We also have CredoMobile and they run off of Sprint - no issues. Honestly, I've had no issues going from cell to wifi and back again. I can use cell to call DH while I'm in the parking lot at B&N, switch to their wifi once I'm inside (because you want to use wifi as much as possible), and then back to cell when I leave the store. No issues at all.

Rumor is that there are more phone options coming in the fall. Might be worth it to check back then. You just can't beat $19/month for unlimited talk, text, and data. If you're really wanting to get the most for your money, sacrificing the latest and greatest gadget might be necessary.

I use a basic plan from T-mobile that is $15 per month. It has unlimited data and wifi but just 100 voice minutes. So I use my voice sparingly. We also have a VoIP line at home as it had free international calls to Europe and Canada. I now send lots of text instead of calling when out.

Guest inoubliable

Yes, if I needed to go lower in my budget waiting for a better phone would not be a priority. However, making sure I get good coverage would.

I would actually love to get something for $20/mo. But because I am iffy about the service, I don't want to spend the $200 up front and then finding it won't work.

It is an interesting concept and if it works I would be interested in something along these lines. I am in wifi 90% of the time I would say, unless I am on vacation.

Dawn

Indeed. Well, if you ever wanted to try it out, there is a 30 day period to try it all out. If you cancel before that 30 days is up, you get a full refund.

There's some great support via their forums. You could check that out, too. Pretty much every question ever asked about the phones and the service has been asked and answered over there.

Someone posted over there that it took over 3 months to get their refund and they wouldn't have gotten it if they hadn't filed a dispute with their CC company. They said all communication is through email, no phone number.

I may try it once the new phones come out and I see what is offered.

It is a bummer that you can't buy a 2nd hand phone and use it, even if it has previously been used on Republic. I don't get that, but I guess selling their phones for full price is the way they do make some $$.

Dawn

PS: I wish I knew someone local who had it so I could test some signaling without having to buy anything and try.

Indeed. Well, if you ever wanted to try it out, there is a 30 day period to try it all out. If you cancel before that 30 days is up, you get a full refund.

There's some great support via their forums. You could check that out, too. Pretty much every question ever asked about the phones and the service has been asked and answered over there.