Menu

Craving ice: does this mean anemia?

Rebecca VA

My daughter has developed a new habit: eating ice. She goes through cup after cup, all day long. She can't even be bothered to put the ice through the sno-cone machine (which is very easy to use) -- she has to have it right away, right out of the freezer.

What does this mean? Is it anemia? I had very severe anemia years ago, but I didn't crave ice -- I ate Play-Doh instead (yuk, I know). Would anyone here be willing to share their ice-craving story? This is a very new thing for her, by the way. And she is NOT a vegetarian; in fact, she is an enthusiastic meat-eater.

I thought about getting some iron supplements for her. What would be a good brand to get? Whole Foods is very close by, and I could get it there.

I was severely anemic (and went through all sorts of tests and had my doctor stumped) and did the same thing. I would be freezing cold and continue to eat ice throughout the day. For me, my anemia didn't go away until I quit eating gluten when I found out I had celiac disease. Within a week of not eating gluten, I quit craving ice. Not saying that's your daughter's issue, but that's my experience.

Btw, the easiest form of iron for me to tolerate when I was taking a supplement was ferrous gluconate. Ferrous sulfate and natural supplements made me break out in hives for some reason. Ferrous gluconate is also supposed to be easier on the digestive system. And I would have her hematocrit, hemaglobin, and iron tested just to make sure, because you don't want to be taking iron supplements if you don't need them.

Good luck!

After my personal trainer told me that eating ice will leach iron out of your system, which is by the way totally false, I did some research on that particular rumor and discovered that eating ice is considered to be a symptom of pica and that pica can be linked to low iron. I would have her checked out by a doctor

I'd never heard that craving ice could be associated with anemia, so I had to google.

I'm a pretty big ice chewer (Sonic's is the best!) and I have very iron rich blood, according to the Red Cross when I donate. For me, ice chewing was just a habit, like chewing gum.

I hope you get some answers.

From anemia.org

"Does chewing ice represent a symptom of anemia?

Yes, a desire to chew ice is a sign that you may have an iron deficiency and that you could be anemic. This type of abnormal craving for non-food items is called pica. “Ice eating is the most common, but eating starch, paper or clay are also common forms of pica and patients will not usually volunteer this type of behavior,†said Dr. Jerry Spivak, a hematologist and Professor of Medicine and Oncology at the Johns Hopkins University."

I’ve always heard that ice chewing is associated with anemias due to vitamin B deficiency.

When I was anemic, I did crave ice. I especially craved the little bits and pieces on the bottom of the ice container. Yuck and TMI, but it had a different taste and I loved it. I also loved the smell of rubber and would go stand in the tire section of whatever store I was in.

I was anemic due to heavy periods caused by a fibroid.

Before starting iron supplements, I would have her tested. Taking in too much iron can be bad too.

When I was severely anemic I craved popcorn. I didn't even realize how much I craved it until we went on vacation and I made my dh find a Walmart for microwave popcorn for our hotel. Of course I'm happy I craved popcorn and not dirt :).

Well I craved dirt when pregnant with Moose, but that doesn't mean I actually ate the dirt, LOL. It was pica, and it freaked me out, but it went away. My OB actually said there's no solidly known cause of pica in pregnancy, she said I'd be fine.

The ice may be anemia, or it may be just a habit.

I had low iron and ate ice. I cracked a lot of teeth doing that--don't recommend it! The Dr put me on a kind of iron supplement that has Vitamin C in it, too, and my D was low, also. Dog walking took care of the D, and my iron came up quickly. I'd go ahead and get her tested.

During my last pregnancy I developed an ice craving. I love the texture of crunching already crushed ice. I also enjoyed biting peppermints because the texture was very similar. My midwife said my iron was low (10 something), so perhaps it is a pica thing. I also craved/loved the flavor and texture of weleda salt toothpaste. I would brush my teeth frequently just to have the toothpaste in my mouth (I never ate it)- still do.

Directv Colombia stopped carrying Fox News Channel, on 01 April 2012. Prior to that date, a number of times, I saw a Fox News "Extra" (Extras were shown when viewers in the USA saw commercials) about people who eat large quantities of ice. Some of them even have ice making machines in their houses....I do not recall whether or not they mentioned a link to Anemia, or other medical problems, other than damage to the teeth.

This is my favorite link for medical information. It is a U.S. Government web site:

http://www.nlm.nih.g...als/public.html

I suggest you look there, for the information you need. GL

Yes, it is a sign of anemia. I used to know when to urge my mother to get in to the doctor by whether or not she could make it through a normal length phone conversation without crunching ice!

I do not crave ice when anemic, but it is a common sign and worth looking into.

yes, it can be a sign of anemia, but not always. I am chronically anemic and grave ice at different periods and sometimes it is really intense. I prefer to chew on already crushed ice. I try not to do it much, make myself stop, because it can wear down and ruin your teeth, another poster mentioned cracking teeth. Try to get your child to not do it, or to not do it much and have a check-up done.

I've always liked to chew ice. But, a few years ago, I was severely anemic (counts in the very low 5s) and was eating ice constantly. I didn't realize just how much of an issue it was until after the anemia was dealt with and my counts returned to normal. It was only then that I had a realization that I hadn't had ice to eat for a while.

I'm sitting here now with a cup of ice left over from my drink. Costco ice...just the right consistency!!!

I still LOVE to chew on ice, but nothing like the NEED to chew on ice when I was anemic.