Menu

"new" book slightly damaged, would you complain?

mom@shiloh

I very rarely purchase new books simply because it is much less expensive to purchase used and I'm willing to put up with some imperfections. However, yesterday I received a book that I had purchased directly from the publisher and it was "new" but arrived with two dents in the back cover (hardcover) and a crumpled corner. If it had been a used book I'd be perfectly fine with that, but I'm kinda bummed since it was supposed to be new. Should I complain?

If it is for your own use, I would probably just keep it. However, if you bought it to give to someone as a Gift, and it is supposed to be in Brand New, Gift, condition, then I would contact the Seller and ask them to replace it.

I would email the company a photo of the damaged book and undamaged packaging and say that I was concerned that I might have been sent a damaged article. I wouldn't outright ask for a replacement, but in my experience a reliable company will offer one. I have bought discounted bargain books from Rainbow Resource Center and they have the sort of minor damage you mention (ie their damaged items are not sold at full price).

If it is for your own use, I would probably just keep it. However, if you bought it to give to someone as a Gift, and it is supposed to be in Brand New, Gift, condition, then I would contact the Seller and ask them to replace it.

This happened to me, although it was B&N and it looked like a truck had run over it (just the book, not the packaging). I exchanged it for another copy at B&N - it was a gift. If it is significant, noticeable damage, I'd contact them. If I purchased an article of clothing or set of dishes that was damaged, I'd want those replaced.

I've had this happen and I've told them that I normally resell books and they sent me a book with a lower resale value, so I'd like some of my purchase price refunded. I've had Amazon credit be 3 or 5 dollars a few times that this has happened.

Interesting. I've had books from Amazon look banged up and I never thought to complain.

I ordered a book through B&N for my dd, who is VERY picky about her books. When I went to pick it up for her, it was dented, too, and some of the pages had been folded, like an accidental dog-ear (which my dd HATES). They offered to order a new one, but dd was very anxious to read it, so they gave me discount instead.

If I pay for something to be new, I except it to be new. I have no problems asking for a refund, an exchange, or discount in those cases.