Menu

Sharing a TV related confession...

jewellsmommy

For a couple of years I held this as a quite embarrassing moment. Now I just find it funny, and all the talk about tv/movie characters made me think that you guys might appreciate this.

So, about 5ish years ago, I think, dh and I were watching all of the deep space nine episodes through netflix. A non-trekkie friend of mine called and asked me what I knew and thought about the Cardashians. I got all excited, thinking that we had started to turn her to the darkside :tongue_smilie:. I started to fill her in about how they had once enslaved the Bajorans but, then they overthrew them... and my friend interupts me going "wait, wait, wait...they owned slaves! I didn't think you could do that now. Why hasn't this been on the news! That's horrible"

I was just baffled :blink: . So I asked her what she was going on about. After a few more minutes of confusing conversation, I figured out that she was referencing a reality tv show that I had barely heard of but it rang a bell. The Kardashians not Cardassians. I had Star Trek on the brain and was so one track minded that I just assumed that was what she was asking me about. :blush: I was soooo embarrassed and felt like a total pop culture moron! ...Now I can laugh about it and even share it, not so much then. I still don't do much of the reality tv stuff. Dh and I are sci-fi people.

Thanks for sharing. Good laugh here!

Did you ever get her to watch?

Nope.

But I was watching her son (about 5 yrs old), and he walked into our living room. Dh paused the deep space nine episode on a scene with Quark. He looks at the ferengi on the screen and says "woooow, what a woman." I am totally serious! My dd wrinkles her nose up and informs him that Quark is a boy ferengi! Dh and I were rollin! I have no idea what that boy was thinking. :lol:

Lol!!!! High five!

I always think of the Cardassians when I hear about the Kardasians! (No idea if I'm spelling either correctly) ... And the first few times I definitely thought it was a Star Trek reference! That is so funny! Only DH has ever known this, I was so embarrassed.

I still don't know what the reality people look like... That's either a point of pride or another example of embarrassing pop culture illiteracy.

Don't feel too badly. My linguist-husband actually started creating a Ferengi language, and was moderately shattered when he found out someone else had already done (and possibly published) it. :tongue_smilie:

In a testament that there might be hope for recovering Trek addicts, we haven't yet seen the new Star Trek movie. I'm secretly wondering if it's because it's one of the odd (or is it even?) numbered movies that supposedly always turn out to be duds.

Don't feel too badly. My linguist-husband actually started creating a Ferengi language, and was moderately shattered when he found out someone else had already done (and possibly published) it. :tongue_smilie:

In a testament that there might be hope for recovering Trek addicts, we haven't yet seen the new Star Trek movie. I'm secretly wondering if it's because it's one of the odd (or is it even?) numbered movies that supposedly always turn out to be duds.

A friend received Hamlet translated into Klingon as a present once. :D

I have not seen the language, but I do own, and sometimes quote, the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition. :coolgleamA: :D

I bet MIT would like it. :thumbup1:

They would prefer Vulcan, I think. When my guys were going through high school I told them they could study any foreign language they wanted...or they could create their own. I'm still sad neither of them took me up on the creation choice.

For a couple of years I held this as a quite embarrassing moment. Now I just find it funny, and all the talk about tv/movie characters made me think that you guys might appreciate this.

So, about 5ish years ago, I think, dh and I were watching all of the deep space nine episodes through netflix. A non-trekkie friend of mine called and asked me what I knew and thought about the Cardashians. I got all excited, thinking that we had started to turn her to the darkside :tongue_smilie:. I started to fill her in about how they had once enslaved the Bajorans but, then they overthrew them... and my friend interupts me going "wait, wait, wait...they owned slaves! I didn't think you could do that now. Why hasn't this been on the news! That's horrible"

I was just baffled :blink: . So I asked her what she was going on about. After a few more minutes of confusing conversation, I figured out that she was referencing a reality tv show that I had barely heard of but it rang a bell. The Kardashians not Cardassians. I had Star Trek on the brain and was so one track minded that I just assumed that was what she was asking me about. :blush: I was soooo embarrassed and felt like a total pop culture moron! ...Now I can laugh about it and even share it, not so much then. I still don't do much of the reality tv stuff. Dh and I are sci-fi people.

That is hilarious! I shared on another thread how I purposefully sought out the Kardashian show to see what all the hoopla is about. That is the craziest stiff I've ever seen.

I'll also confess that the first few times I heard people talk about the Kardashians, I wondered where the sudden Star Trek interest was coming from. (DS9, even! My favorite Trek!) Even now, I mentally perk up and go, "The Carda-- oh." I still know very little about the Kardashians except that they are somehow associated with reality TV, which I don't watch.

I know plenty about Cardassians, but I've never heard of the Kardashians before this thread. Who are they?

You must buy your groceries sonewhere that does not sell tabloid magazines. All I know is what I've read on the covers while waiting in line - which is not any kind of coherent story.