Menu

If you have a family of eight or more what do you drive?

LMV

My husband will be so proud of this thread. We've been in we really need to find something bigger mode since our newest foster daughter joined us but I hate vans and life hasn't exactly been full of lots of free time to search. We've been making it work as DH's Escalade can seat eight and our seventeen year old has her own license and her own car so if I'm taking all the kids somewhere without DH we can split up between the two vehicles but it is less than ideal and I guess we really do need to address it. Our daughter is off to college in the fall so we'll have one less child (but also one less driver) and I can imagine that her brother (and his wife and son) might like to join the family caravan to go watch one of her soccer games or something this fall so it might be nice to be able to seat ten plus comfortably for extended travel.

So, moms (or dads) of many, what do you drive?

We have a Ford E350 12 passenger van. It's not difficult to find them used with low milage as they are often used for corporate transportation. It has been great for long road trips - plenty of space for everyone, especially when you have younger ones in booster and car seats and a teenager who is over 6 feet tall; also for scouting trips and hauling gear. NOT a good vehicle if you need transportation for a double bass. Our model, 2008, does not have seats that fold down. That's the one feature I really wish it had.

We have a family of only 5 but drive a 15 passenger van. We actually took out the back bench seat (it was flush against the back door) so now the van seats 11.

It is a Dodge Ram and Dodge no longer makes full size vans. I love it. I am up high and can see traffic well ahead. I used to have a Girl Scout troop and we would take the girls in the van. Now we pick up some teens to take to church on Sunday mornings. We have gone on trips with my mom and dad - plenty of room for all.

It is a gas hog - about 13 miles to the gallon. I will be so sad when it finally gives up. It is a 2002 and still runs well . . . it has given us very little trouble over the years and the engine does not seem to want to quit!

I drive a Suburban (six kids/seats 8), with the middle row being the split bench rather than the two individual chairs. I have two convertible carseats in the middle row on the part that we don't fold down (eta, technically, it also folds down though we don't use that option much). I have three boosters in the third row. My oldest is out of a carseat and sits in the middle row folding seat.

We have a Ford E350 12 passenger van.

This is what we drive as well. We love it, although it lacks a certain hip factor. ;) I want to put our favorite quotes from books* all over it in uppercase living vinyl; that would be spendy, but fun.

*Mine would be:

Better drowned than duffers if not duffers won't drown

She said she hates vans.....are there other options? We have a Tahoe right now but will be upgrading to a Suburban. Still only seats 8 though. I only know of vans that seat more than 8. Even mini-vans only seat 8.

Nissan has a somewhat cool-looking van I saw at a homeschool curriculum sale. Here it is. It actually looks much better in person than it does on their website??!!

She said she hates vans.....are there other options? We have a Tahoe right now but will be upgrading to a Suburban. Still only seats 8 though. I only know of vans that seat more than 8. Even mini-vans only seat 8.

Nissan has a somewhat cool-looking van I saw at a homeschool curriculum sale. Here it is. It actually looks much better in person than it does on their website??!!

We've had a 9-passenger Suburban before. You'd have to find an older one; ours was late 1990's I think. It'd have to have the bench seat in front.

We just bought the Ford E350, 12 passenger. Honestly, I love it. I think ours is a 2008. I was afraid it would be hard to drive or handle, but I've been really impressed with how easy it is to drive. We've done the minivan thing with 8 people and it's not been that great. I looked for an SUV to seat 9 since we have another one on the way, but it was almost impossible to find. I found one 9 passenger suburban on Craig's list, but that was it. I know you said you hate vans, but honestly, that might be what your looking at if you want one that can haul everyone around.

We've had a 9-passenger Suburban before. You'd have to find an older one; ours was late 1990's I think. It'd have to have the bench seat in front.

You can get 2013, 9 passengers in both Suburban and Yukon XL. They are rare but they are out there. There is even a 9 passenger leather seat option. :)

We have a Ford E350 12 passenger van. It's not difficult to find them used with low milage as they are often used for corporate transportation. It has been great for long road trips - plenty of space for everyone, especially when you have younger ones in booster and car seats and a teenager who is over 6 feet tall; also for scouting trips and hauling gear. NOT a good vehicle if you need transportation for a double bass. Our model, 2008, does not have seats that fold down. That's the one feature I really wish it had.

This is our van as well. It's been a great workhorse. It's a 96 model and we bought it in 97 with barely 20K on it. It now has 209K miles on it. The nice thing about these vans is that they are made to go to about 250K.

Good luck van hunting.

We have a 12 passenger also (2011). Honestly, even if we didn't have too many people, it seemed the best option so as not to be packed into a car. A family of 7 or 8 having a 12 passenger is like a family with two kids having a minivan imo. So we went for it.

BTW, my main requirement was that it wasn't white. I kinda wish I had held out for blue or red even.

We have a 12 passenger also (2011). Honestly, even if we didn't have too many people, it seemed the best option so as not to be packed into a car. A family of 7 or 8 having a 12 passenger is like a family with two kids having a minivan imo. So we went for it.

BTW, my main requirement was that it wasn't white. I kinda wish I had held out for blue or red even.

LOL I was so excited when I saw the silver one. It looks great and I'm glad it's not white. :)

Are you buying new? I think the best options when purchasing new are the Nissan NV or the Mercedes Sprinter. Both seat 12 passengers. Both will resell well. The Sprinter gets great gas mileage, lots of room for storage, and I loved to drive it. It has a diesel engine but repair work is a pain The NV is loaded for a lot less but is more awkward to drive. Very smooth ride but very little storage space. My kids prefer the Sprinter as it seems roomier leg wise. I would rather drive the Sprinter. You can see a long ways down the road which is very helpful. I would rather take it to the city than our Much Smaller Aspen. The NV wins hands down for price. We're in the process of deciding between the two right now.

I want to put our favorite quotes from books* all over it in uppercase living vinyl; that would be spendy, but fun.

*Mine would be:

Better drowned than duffers if not duffers won't drown

Love this! Now I want to cover our 1999 E350 with quotes.

And that's my favorite too! :lol:

And to answer the original question -- we have 8 people. Our 12-passenger van is on its last legs and gets TERRIBLE mileage, so now we always take two cars everywhere when they are all home. It's cheaper to drive two compact cars than the van!

We have the Ford e350 as well, we call it the airport shuttle. But ours is red, I was also looking for non-white :).

Gas is a pain, especially after driving a Honda Oddyssey for so many years. But we don't fit in a minivan anymore. I also had a Sienna for several years, that was a great vehicle as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input. I guess it is time to resign myself that we really need to start looking at vans. :driving: [No I don't anticipate being a happy van driver so I will need some time to do some reframing.]

We just bought the Ford E350, 12 passenger. Honestly, I love it. I think ours is a 2008. I was afraid it would be hard to drive or handle, but I've been really impressed with how easy it is to drive.

Same here, and I LOVE how safe it feels- being so high and huge :D The shocks are really terribly bad, I'm not sure if it's just our model or if that's common in all of these vans. We have a 2010, it had around 80,000 miles on it when we got it, I believe.

We have a Ford E-350 12-passenger that was converted to a 10-passenger by removing the two 3-person bench seats and putting in 4 captain's chairs. What i don't like about traditional 12- and 15-passenger vans are the lowback bench seats. LOVE the Nissan for this reason. Also the Sprinter.

I do like the van - it holds a lot of gear. But I'm growing weary of bumping along the road. I drove a friend's Suburban and it was so smooth and luxurious!