Menu

I was seriously considering IEW until I realized that it would be $500 for two kids

Really?! I was hoping I could get away with just doing the TWSS for the first year for both my oldest. I guess I better relook at my choices.

You can. I watched TWSS a few weeks ago, and my younger 2 students have loved coming up with their own topics for the writing assignments. :001_smile: My oldest 2 prefer using the theme book. :D

I bought a SWI B used for my guys to share for like $70. Then for next year we bought a themed unit for I think $20 that will work for both of them. I do still need to get TWSS which is pricier but a 1 time use it forever purchase. At any rate I got at least 1 year for just the $70. What exactly are you looking at getting?

I have a rising 4th and rising 6th. The oldest did IEW this year in co-op. We want to continue next year.

I need SWIC A for my rising 6th since she has already done SWI A --$199 http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/sicc-a'>http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/sicc-a'>http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/sicc-a'>http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/sicc-a

I need the Student/Teach combo SWI A package -- it has SWI A for my 4th grader and the TWSS for me $299 http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/sicc-a

I have been looking for used, but so far I haven't found anything at more than a $25-$40 discount. I will keep looking!

Instead of the combo package for your younger, get just the SWI A. You don't really need, in my understanding, that and TWSS. In SWI, the DVDs teach directly to the student, and if you watch along, you'll understand the process. If it helps, also get the $10 DVD called Structure and Style overview.... It's a very summarized version of TWSS. That takes you from $299 down to $119 for your 4th grader.

The links you included are for the continuation sets, and if you haven't used IEW before, I think you would probably start with the Student Writing Intensive A and/or B and not the continuation courses. Those are for students that already completed the Student Writing Intensive.

Both of the sets you mention include the Teaching Writing: Structure and Style 9 DVD set. If you bought both of those sets you would have two copies of the exact same thing. I would start with TWSS and then move onto the writing intensives if they haven't done the program before.

You can usually find used copies for a more reasonable price. I got the TWSS DVD set and SWI-B for $100 total. Keep checking the classifieds here and on other sites.

The links you included are for the continuation sets, and if you haven't used IEW before, I think you would probably start with the Student Writing Intensive A and/or B and not the continuation courses. Those are for students that already completed the Student Writing Intensive.

Both of the sets you mention include the Teaching Writing: Structure and Style 9 DVD set. If you bought both of those sets you would have two copies of the exact same thing. I would start with TWSS and then move onto the writing intensives if they haven't done the program before.

You can usually find used copies for a more reasonable price. I got the TWSS DVD set and SWI-B for $100 total. Keep checking the classifieds here and on other sites.

The second link is for SWI A, which my oldest has used at co-op, so I don't have it here at home. The first link is the continuation. I will go back and look and see if they both include the TWSS, I thought only the second link did. That would be great!

It seems to hold its value. I've sold many sets at 90% of full price.

Also Adoremus Books has a sale - normally around Easter and maybe Christmas or late summer - and put EVERYTHING they sell (including IEW) at 20% off. So if you bought from them, and sold it at 90%, you could (potentially) actually make money on the deal ;)

Why not get TWSS and do a theme book such as US History Volume 1? I taught a class with SWI-A this year in a co-op, and we are doing it next year because it covers several things throughout that SWI did not. You could also purchase the ebooks for the individual units for extra resources. I am going to be doing my own schedule of it that will have different assignments/checklists for the group I have. I'd be glad to share when I have them.

TWSS will cover both kids. You don't have to have SWI or SICC. You can just use TWSS by itself OR use TWSS with a (much cheaper) theme book for each kid. Either way, it can definitely be done for less than $500. :) TWSS teaches you how to teach the kid, and it's really quite easy to follow. They even have example lesson plans and such.

TWSS will cover both kids. You don't have to have SWI or SICC. You can just use TWSS by itself OR use TWSS with a (much cheaper) theme book for each kid. Either way, it can definitely be done for less than $500. :) TWSS teaches you how to teach the kid, and it's really quite easy to follow. They even have example lesson plans and such.

This is what I have decided to do. After I realized the price of what I wanted, I adjusted my IEW wishlist. ;) I looked at the sample pages for TWSS seminar book and the SWI books, and decided that we could get by with just the TWSS.

The TWSS is a teacher training course for you to watch and then use to instruct your students. It contains all nine units, so it will have the information presented in SWI A for your younger child and the new information presented in SWICC for your older child. That would be the most economical way to go.

If you don't feel comfortable teaching the material, then get the continuation course or a theme book for your older child and simply get the SWI A for your younger child ($109) instead of the bundle package ($299). On the IEW website, in the sample pages for the SWI workbook, it says,

"If you do not have the teacher’s course, you can still use the SWI successfully. Watching the Structure and Style Overview (available from Excellence in Writing) will give you an overview of our writing methods." The overview is a $10 DVD.

You can still do IEW with your kids without spending $500.

I have 2 kids and will be getting the SWI for them this fall. I plan on watching with them to be able to teach it. It has a summary video included. So I am hoping to avoid the TWSS cost by doing it this way.

If your kids aren't close in age range just get the TWSS and do it yourself. Either make up your own assignments or get a theme book. But it doesn't have to be $500. You don't need both the TWSS and a SWI course.

Thanks! Lots of ideas. I have been told by the IEW people that the TWSS course is absolutely essential and must be done before anything else. I take it you all disagree?

Does anyone in your group have the TWSS DVDs? I checked the DVDs out of the library, and purchased the binder of notes. I was able to take lots of my own notes and do the practicums as I watched the seminar. I plan to buy SWI A, but I haven't seen it yet to know if TWSS would still be necessary.

Thanks! Lots of ideas. I have been told by the IEW people that the TWSS course is absolutely essential and must be done before anything else. I take it you all disagree?

They're telling you that because they want to sell it to you. :coolgleamA:

IMO, doing both TWSS and SWI is redundant for most people. TWSS teaches you how to teach it and then you come up with your own resources/assignments, or use a theme unit. Or you can watch SWI with your child, learn it with them, and use the laid-out assignments.

TWSS was their original product. Then they came out with SWIs because people like me wanted more hand-holding and didn't want to have to come up with the assignments on our own. You really don't need both unless you're extremely uncomfortable teaching writing.

I didn't have the money, so I skipped TWSS.

I watched the SWI videos with my boys, and it went well.

I'm sure there is a lot of value to the TWSS, but my boys have learned a lot without my having watched it.

After the SWI, we moved on to the themed programs, which are inexpensive and, in my opinion, excellent.

I am very happy with IEW minus the TWSS. Don't let the price of that stop you from using the program.

I purchased TWSS and SWI-A for my kids this past year. I sold my TWSS about halfway through the year because I no longer needed it. I sold our SWI-A when we finished it, and will buy SWCC-A for next year.

In our experience, if you are comfortable teaching writing and if you watch the SWI videos with your kids, you can absolutely get away without the TWSS.

And you should be able to find a SWI and SWCC used. I sold our SWI-A for $60 (minus the student handouts, which the buyer was going to get herself).

On the website there are webinars recorded. Every month Andrew talked about a specific unit. I've been enjoying the talks as we move through each unit. Also, if you buy their product sign up for the emails. At Christmas last year, they had the 12 gifts of Christmas. Each day they gave out a different gift. Definitely, worth getting the occasional email during the year!

You can find the webinars at the link below, click on Andrew's button:

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/webinar-archive

I just bought TWSS and have no plans on using the continuation courses. I did buy the All Things Fun and Fascinating theme book for next year and would be okay if I bought a theme book here and there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the website there are webinars recorded. Every month Andrew talked about a specific unit. I've been enjoying the talks as we move through each unit. Also, if you buy their product sign up for the emails. At Christmas last year, they had the 12 gifts of Christmas. Each day they gave out a different gift. Definitely, worth getting the occasional email during the year!

You can find the webinars at the link below, click on Andrew's button:

http://www.excellenc...webinar-archive

Thanks for posting this, but I can't figure out how to get on the email list. Does anyone have a link for that?