Menu

What's your favorite Caribbean Island?

creekland

Hubby and I are thinking about the Caribbean for our 25th Anniversary this August (we do know that's hurricane season...), but we're thoroughly unsure about which island to choose, so I thought I'd check here.

What we want/need:

Only 2 days there (not including travel days) so easy access from Baltimore, Philly, or DC.

QUIET - we're not into the bar or party scene at all.

Nice snorkeling and/or diving (only one day could be diving due to flying afterward).

Beach, but with nice scenery if possible.

Prefer motel/resort over B&B for privacy reasons (it IS our anniversary).

We want to use our passports, so USVI and PR are out - just because.

Any suggestions to look at? Any personal favorites?

Belize or Costa Rica are also on our potential list...

When it's just the two of us, one of our favorite resorts is Jade Mountain in St. Lucia. It has exceptional attention to detail, breathtaking views of the Pitons, and a wonderfully intimate feel.

Happy Anniversary! Wherever you end up, I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Our Caribbean go-to is Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos.

We've done Club Med and Beaches, neither of which we'd do if it were an anniversary kid-free trip ;) but we've been going there since the '90s and haven't really heard too many bad things about any of the resorts there. That's part of why we keep going back.

The only thing that might be an issue is flights - from the DC area, it'd be a two-leg segment. It's one for us, too, and we go through Miami or JFK. If you want to do a fare search, the airport code for Providenciales is PLS. Way easier to type and re-type!

Sounds exciting, hope you guys have fun!

Hubby and I are thinking about the Caribbean for our 25th Anniversary this August (we do know that's hurricane season...), but we're thoroughly unsure about which island to choose, so I thought I'd check here.

What we want/need:

Only 2 days there (not including travel days) so easy access from Baltimore, Philly, or DC.

QUIET - we're not into the bar or party scene at all.

Nice snorkeling and/or diving (only one day could be diving due to flying afterward).

Beach, but with nice scenery if possible.

Prefer motel/resort over B&B for privacy reasons (it IS our anniversary).

We want to use our passports, so USVI and PR are out - just because.

Any suggestions to look at? Any personal favorites?

Belize or Costa Rica are also on our potential list...

Direct flights to some of the islands have been much reduced as of this year, so I'm not sure about that part. We always have to fly to Miami first.

Nevis has everything except the snorkeling is only average. Very lovely, very private. St. Kitts is not as nice, but it is cheaper and does meet your reqs.

Tortola has it all and has nice snorkeling, too.

But I AM biased as I have in-laws living on both. :D

Georgia

St John. You fly into St. Thomas, and take a ferry over. Very quiet and beautiful.

YES, YES, YES! Absolutely a favorite. Quiet with lots of fun "water" things to do. We also rented a little Suzuki while we were there and drove around the island, 2/3 of which is a national park. There are lots of beautiful little secluded beaches to find. Snorkeling is a blast.

I know you said you did not want the USVI, but St. John is absolutely wonderful.

I second St. John. We went on a cruise, visited several islands and this one was our favorite. It was quiet, you had to take another boat to get to it. Beautiful! We are planning on going back some day and spending all our time on St. John.

If I were to live on an island it would be Grand Caymen. I loved the shopping and feel of the island. But I think you are wanting something a little more private and most of the time I've visited islands with cruises so I don't know much about resorts and accommodations.

We honeymooned on the French side of St. Martin, and returned a number of times, and have loved it every time! I recommend the Grand Case Beach Club, which is just outside the town of Grand Case. It is situated on Grand Case bay, which is a very calm bay and the beaches are generally lightly populated; the hotel provides chaises and umbrellas for their guests. They can arrange a number of snorkeling or diving excursions. All of the other beaches on the island are also open to the public; some are much more busy, with lots of activities like Jet Skis and such, and others are completely deserted and have no amenities. The town of Grand Case, which is a short walk away, is the French culinary capital of the Caribbean, with many fantastic restaurants to choose from in this little town - perfect for a special anniversary dinner.

(I do not recommend the Dutch side of the island - it is much more heavily developed and touristy.)

Hi Creekland,

Our 25th anniversary is this summer as well. Since we've been funding a wedding, we'll be heading to New Zealand next summer. A little belated, but worth the wait.

Anyway, happy anniversary and hmmmm....I have a huge fondness for Jamaica. Montego Bay, climb the falls at Ocho Rios, etc. Should be a fairly quick jaunt from the cities you mentioned.

Faith

My favorite is Jost van Dyke, but you can't fly there. You'd have to fly into Tortola or St. Thomas or St. John and take a boat. It's completely secluded, very small, and AMAZINGly beautiful. Unreal beautiful.

If not there, St. John, for sure, although you wouldn't have to use your passport. Oh!! Or Grand Cayman. I love it there, too.

Wait! I forgot Aruba! I adore Aruba. Stunning.

Thanks for the suggestions! So far we've checked out flights (doesn't have to be non-stop - just not a huge layover of several hours) and St Lucia, Grand Cayman, Tortola (fly into St Thomas and ferry over), and Turks & Caicos are definite possibilities. (The overnight suggestions we need to look at later as we're heading to church now.)

USVI and PR are definitely out no matter how nice they are. We've had passports for years and have only used them for Canada (which, to me, is not a foreign country as I grew up literally right next to it). Since the economic downturn, we haven't been able to travel internationally (other than Canada), so on this trip, we ARE using the passports. ;)

All I can offer is that I would NOT recommend Costa Rica. Costa Rica has many beautiful areas, but two days is not enough. You'd most likely fly into San Jose (which is landlocked and does not meet your requirements, at all), so then you would have to find a way to one of the lovely coastal areas, but the traveling to one of those areas itself could take a day.

I probably shouldn't be answering as I've only been to the Caribbean 3 times, but I loved Bermuda. U.S. Air does non-stops from Philly to Hamilton and it's about a 3 hour flight.

Bermuda is gorgeous, but it's not in the Caribbean. It's high up in the Atlantic, basically parallel to North Carolina. But if the OP were willing to consider a non-Caribbean destination, this would be close to the top of my list, too, as long as it was at least late June. Otherwise, the water is too cold.

Grand Cayman meets all of your requirements and there's some pretty good deals for it this summer. It has an advantage to me over some of the others because it is English speaking. It wasn't very crowded when we were there but if you want more seclusion, you could go to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac. The diving on the other islands is supposed to be even better.

Bermuda is gorgeous, but it's not in the Caribbean. It's high up in the Atlantic, basically parallel to North Carolina. But if the OP were willing to consider a non-Caribbean destination, this would be close to the top of my list, too, as long as it was at least late June. Otherwise, the water is too cold.

I was thinking "Caribbean" more in a metaphorical sense than a literal geographic one, LOL! The OP said she was going in August so the water should be fairly warm by then.

Ok... so far...

Anguilla is out due to too much time to get there. Ditto that for St Martin & St Kitts/Nevis. Jamaica is out due to all of our boys having gone there on work trips and we want an island to ourselves this time.

Bermuda we looked at, but it looks pricier than the others.

Aruba looks a little too deserty for us right now.

Also, thanks for the Costa Rica info - makes sense.

Our favorite contenders at this time are:

St Lucia (LOVE the beauty that island seems to have and all the possibilities of things to do)

Turks & Caicos (that beach does look amazing - only "hang up" is the island appears flat... we like mountains - but for two days... we'll see)

Tortola (unsure about Emancipation festivities that will be going on then as we have a "crowd allergy" - will still check out Jost van Dyke)

Grand Cayman (least expensive, but again, it's flat - and it looks rather crowded comparatively)

We're still open to other suggestions, of course - that's just where we're at right now. We're hoping to make a spreadsheet of sorts soon comparing actual cost (for a waterfront room), times of flights, etc. We may end up picking based upon that cost as we're hoping to save up for a larger trip to Tahiti when we're empty nesters (VERY soon). But this is our 25th, so we want to do something special then too.

Is it worth it to wait for last minute deals or are good flights likely to be full? We saw some reviews talk about getting a "great last minute deal..."

We're also assuming trip insurance is a good idea - considering hurricane season. Does anyone have recommendations for/against certain companies?

Booking immediately isn't an option due to waiting for $$ to come in. Booking in 3 weeks is what we were thinking about - doing the research now.

A last minute deal - island unknown - sounds a bit fun... but I guess I could come up with some horror scenarios too.

Love your contenders. :)

Have to add another vote for the French side of St Martin. Love it, love it, love it. Depending on where you stay, it can be very quiet - we've basically had our own private coves several times, and avoided the beaches with umbrellas, etc altogether.

Does anyone want to say Antigua? I am also trip planning.

For whatever reasons, my 15 year old son has always wanted to go to Antigua. St Johns would be my choice. We want casual, less night life, great beaches, snorkeling/boating, and good food.

Does anyone want to say Antigua? I am also trip planning.

For whatever reasons, my 15 year old son has always wanted to go to Antigua. St Johns would be my choice. We want casual, less night life, great beaches, snorkeling/boating, and good food.

I was thinking "Caribbean" more in a metaphorical sense than a literal geographic one, LOL! The OP said she was going in August so the water should be fairly warm by then.

Oh, well in that case....Bermuda rocks! ;)

(And I missed the part where she said she's going in August)

(And I missed the part where she said she's going in August)

I missed this, too, so I will un-recommend the French side of St. Martin. During August, almost all of the restaurants and a lot of the other shops close up, as the people on the island go on holiday elsewhere. Any other month, it's wonderful!

Thanks for the new updates - and we're eliminating BVI now as we've looked more at the Emancipation Festival. It looks nice and festive - and crowded - the exact opposite of what we are looking for on our Anniversary. BVI looks gorgeous though... We will have to get there another time.

Actually, a bunch of the islands look gorgeous. I suspect we'll be taking more trips in the future to check out more of them as we settle into empty nesting... but for now... with just two days... we're down to:

St Lucia (if we decide we want beaches with interior mountains/ziplines, etc)

or

Turks & Caicos (if we want those fantastic beaches)

with a close third being Grand Cayman on the east bay side.

We may literally end up picking based upon price when we can push that "Book Now" button...

But, we're also enjoying still looking in the meantime, so nothing is set in stone yet.