Menu

I've HAD it with our dog. :-/

Gentlemommy

We rescued him six months ago. He is about two years old, chihuahua mix. He's as sweet as can be, and overall a good fit for our family. Except. He runs away. Every. Chance. He. Gets. It's like he's got one eye constantly on the doorway, and the millisecond someone opens it, he wiggles through and is gone. I have three kids (2, 5, and 8) and we have friends over a lot. It's not realistic to train everyone how to carefully open the door. We do tell guests, and are extra vigilant, but he still manages to escape. It's any door, not just the back door. We rent and do not (and can not put one up) a fence. he gets plenty of exercise. Dd rides her bike with him every morning. Four times around the block. By the time they get back, he's panting and tired. We also all take a mile long walk (and dd will scooter ahead with him) around the lake (she often goes 2-3 times around, while I walk once around with the older dog). We take him to the dog park (which is IN our neighborhood!!!) quite often.

Every time he's gotten out, when we catch him, we praise him for coming back, give him love, and take him on a nice long walk (I figure he needs to get some energy out). We've never scolded him for coming, but now, he sees us coming (either on our bikes or in the car) and runs away!!! I can.not.throw everyone in the car multiple times per week. He bolts SO incredibly fast, he is a mile away in just a minute or two. The last time, I was so angry that I didn't even go looking for him. We just got ready and left for church. Two hours later, a neighbor called (he has a tag with my number on it) saying they had him. Since then, he's been tethered to a table/chair all.day.long. I hate it!!! But I don't know what else to do. We have gates, he just waits for the minute they are not latched and pushes through. I've tried and tried training, always with treats. I watch videos on how to train an invisible boundary. Did that. He did perfectly, when he knew he had a lead on. The second I took it off (because he was doing so well!!!) he managed to get away. :-/ he is very smart, and has learned a bunch of commands. He will come on command 100% of the time at home, or even at the dog park, where there is a fence.

I am seriously done with him. My dh and I are ready to find him a new home, one with a fenced in yard. :( It will devestate the kids, but honestly, one of these days, he is going to get killed by a car. He just runs, doesn't stop or look where he is going. And every time he gets out, he goes further and further. And now, he won't come back to us, and instead runs away!!! My last resort is a shock collar. :( I think he really needs to experience a negative stimulus when he bolts. Right now, it's the best thing ever! He runs off, and IF he comes back, we reward him (I understand why we do that, but still) with love, treats, and a walk. Why wouldn't he run away??? I still don't even know if we can get him one, my dh is adamantly opposed to it, and would rather give him away.

If you have read this far, and have experience with runners, could you chime in? I can't decide what's worse-giving him to another home, chaining him to the table all day, or shock collar. It's just a bad situation all around.

I may have missed it, but is there a reason you are unable to fence in your yard? (I know they are quite pricey so I get if you can't because of that.)

We had the same issue with a dog we rescued. We loved him to death. He was the sweetest, cuddley little guy ever. He ran away all the time. When I took him on walks he broke OFF THE LEASH and ran away. I was pregnant at the time and it was just a nightmare. That plus peeing all over the house 24/7, and the final episode of snapping at dd.. we ended up rehoming him. I felt horrible and cried a whole week straight.

I guess I dont have much advice. Just btdt and I know how you feel. I hope you find a solution that makes everyone happy!

ETA: I agree that the treats may not be getting the point across. We tried giving him a negative consequence. He spent time in his cage whenever we caught him. This didn't work for us either.

Get either an electrical fence our a shock collar.one of our little terriers was a runner.we got s such collar but ONLY used the vibrate option and that was ENOUGH to Getty him to stop. We did use the electrical part by accident one time and seriously, he strayed by our aside for a week. I too was adamantly opposed to getting one, but he learned almost immediately and we rarely use it now.just putting ON the collar with its slightly heavier weight and he knows to behave.

Another vote for the wireless fence. My sister has one and it works great. She even brings it along with her dog when visiting. We have an in-ground system that also works great. The only thing you would have to leave with the in-ground is the wire. The expensive parts would go with you. Our dog would never have survived the cars without it.

1. Put up gates, keep them closed, and step over them.

2. Get shock collar with the wire system in your yard in case

he does get out.

3. Give him free time in your yard. Maybe he just needs some time

outside every day? I mean leashed--and get the metal-covered-with-plastic

leashes in case he is a chewer.

4. Get one of those dog kennels for him to hang out outside

And finally,

5. Get a dogpen (a nice plastic one) for indoors that you

can pop him into when people are going in or out.

All good suggestions! Everyday, from about 3-7, the kids all play outside with their friends and he is outside on a 25 ft tie out. We do crate him, but only when we are gone. I figured that when we have guests, we can tether him, or put him behind the baby gate in the hallway. I have an octogan pen I could out him in outside, but I'm nervous he will jump it. He's small but he is a crazy good jumper lol. The biggest problem is the sliding glass door. The front door and garage door are blocked by baby gates, so we have an extra measure of prevention there. The sliding door is the main problem. When my dd tries to tie either him or the other dog out, he often escapes. I've taught them to clip his leash on first, step on it, clip the tie out on, and finally unhook the leash. I'd love love love for him to play off leash in our yard, there is another little doggie his size that comes to visit and they would have a blast together.

With wireless fencing, it is not just the shock that keeps them inside, it is the training. If you don't train them properly, they may either bolt and be afraid to come back or may become afraid to go outside. I know that there are some protocols for training using visual clues so that the dog learns where the boundaries are without actually experiencing the shock. We had looked into this and had a couple of local companies give us quotes. The good ones put little flags in the ground at the boundary so that the dog would know where it was. They would work with the dog regularly to help the dog learn the boundaries.

Our wireless fence had a two part warning. The first is a tone or vibration that is set off by approaching the perimeter. It is only of the dog continues into the 'zone' and crosses the line that he gets shocked. At first, you mark the boundaries with flags and walk the dog allowing him to get close to set off the tone, then you correct and pull him back. After a period of time, if the dog isn't consistently backing off from the flags and tone cues, you let him get shocked. All of this is done on a leash with you in control of the training. It doesn't take long at all before the dog realizes that he needs to back up when he hears the tone. Since you've already shown him the boundaries, he can easily navigate to a safe area.

Our dog did eventually get smart enough to figure out that if she laid in the 'warning' area that she could wear down the batteries and then safely cross the boundary. But, she was a clever beast. Our neighbor had 3 large dogs who never dared escape.

In general I'm not a fan of wireless fences, but in your case it might be a good option. Or something like this placed at each door. Not a huge fan of shock collars, but again in this case it might be in order. Better shocked than dead. But you have to have a good plan for keeping the controller close so you have it when you need it. Regardless of what device you get (if any), it's absolutely imperative that you start today working on training him to sit and stay each and every time the door opens and remain in the stay until you release him. I know it's hard with kids, but it's incredibly important.

Our wireless fence had a two part warning. The first is a tone or vibration that is set off by approaching the perimeter. It is only of the dog continues into the 'zone' and crosses the line that he gets shocked. At first, you mark the boundaries with flags and walk the dog allowing him to get close to set off the tone, then you correct and pull him back. After a period of time, if the dog isn't consistently backing off from the flags and tone cues, you let him get shocked. All of this is done on a leash with you in control of the training. It doesn't take long at all before the dog realizes that he needs to back up when he hears the tone. Since you've already shown him the boundaries, he can easily navigate to a safe area.

Our dog did eventually get smart enough to figure out that if she laid in the 'warning' area that she could wear down the batteries and then safely cross the boundary. But, she was a clever beast. Our neighbor had 3 large dogs who never dared escape.

Holy cow, that is a smart dog!

Holy cow, that is a smart dog!

Actually, IME it's a pretty common behavior. Another example -- Lots of people use citronella "anti-bark" collars. It's common for a dog to figure out that if he barks, barks, barks the cylinder will empty quickly and then he can bark all he wants to w/o getting sprayed. Many dogs are unbelievably smart when it comes to figuring things out.

I wouldn't put it past him to figure that out lol. We had a husky who wore a remote collar because she was a runner. She figured out that if she just grit her teeth and kept running, it would eventually be out of range. She would then stop, turn around, grin at me, and slowly walk away. :-/ Her running was into the orange grove next to our old house though, so it wasn't quite as bad. She'd run for a few hours and come home when she got hot and thirsty enough. We were far from cars, so it wasn't so scary. Plus she was abig white dog. Our little guy is barely ten pounds, he'd get run over very easily. :-(

I'm leaning toward getting a remote collar...anyone have one they recommend? And also, I want to make sure I'm training him properly, so do any of you have suggestions for videos or websites that explain it well? I do have some experience with the collars from our other dog, but extra help is always appreciated. Thank you all for all of your replies and suggestions.

I am so very thankful that someone told us to teach our dogs the "Place" command because they liked to try to sneak out our front door when it was opened.

Now, two years later, when someone comes to our door we say, "Place" and point to the nearest "bed/mat, etc." and our dogs will move to that area and sit. Amazingly this is something they picked up quickly and haven't ever forgotten. We make them go to "place" before they eat, etc. just as a reminder to them.

On a quick google search, I found youtube links, etc. so maybe this is something you could start with to help teach your dog to be calm when doors are opened so you have some kind of control.

We had the electric fence - a squirrel was enough incentive to get shocked. Calling her home was not enough incentive to come back through. Often she would sit on the other side of the fence waiting to come home. You can just lay the wire on top of the ground. It still works and is tons more portable!

Our first set of collars was tritronics that had a mile range on it.

We now have a sport dog brand that can be expanded up to 4 collars. It works well on our std poodle and was a lot cheaper than the tritronics collars. It also came with a pretty good book that talked about how to train the dog with it.

I just taught mine "Stay". Start with the door shut, but stand in the same room with the door. Then get a little closer. Then open the door just a crack, etc. until the dog knows not to run out the door each time someone says "stay". The whole process may take you several weeks. This might be hard for your young ones to remember, but it has worked well in our home. We also use the word "wait" when we are out walking and don't want her to jump up on an oncoming dog. That one still needs a lot of work.