Menu

Are you a relaxed driver?

I'm heading off in moments to collect my kids from my mother. We will rendezvous in Fredericksburg, VA (I'll wave at you Va folks 'kay?). I'm not that excited about the drive. This time of day (mid-afternoon), I'm a little sleepy, it's hot, and my car does not have a/c. But, I'll go, and I'll do fine. There is no anxiety, really. Just not a lot of motivation, you know?

I am struck though, by how often I am in a group of [mostly] women and I hear comments about how much they dislike driving. One can't see at night, one doesn't like bridges, one hates trucks (;)), one won't travel alone. My mother is the consummate traveler, as were her parents. Is it genetic or learned, the love of being on the road? Do you have it, or are you a timid, uncomfortable driver? Do you feel that you are a good driver? Do you go the speed limit (above or below)? Do you keep the gas pedal steady or are you forever pushing and releasing, pushing and releasing (which, btw, makes this particular passenger sick to her stomach)?

Just a bunch of travel questions running through my head. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll be back to check in tomorrow evening. :D

I've gotten A LOT more relaxed in the last 20 years. I used to be the pedal pusher trying to rush ahead of everyone. Now on a freeway I get in the middle lane, set my speed, and don't worry about changing lanes anymore. In the middle lane I don't get behind slower drivers, and if someone thinks *I'm* going to slow, they can move left. It's a very relaxing lane to be in, lol.

I kind of went the *other* way about two years ago -- getting mad at drivers for being bad drivers (my pet peeve is red light runners). I used to nudge out and watch the opposite light. As soon as it turned yellow I'd nudge out more and make any potential red light runners think they were going to hit me if they kept going. Dh asked me not to do that anymore, so now I don't care (I still get frustrated when they run the lights, but I don't try and call it to their attention with this dangerous act).

Good question!

I'm heading off in moments to collect my kids from my mother. We will rendezvous in Fredericksburg, VA (I'll wave at you Va folks 'kay?). I'm not that excited about the drive. This time of day (mid-afternoon), I'm a little sleepy, it's hot, and my car does not have a/c. But, I'll go, and I'll do fine. There is no anxiety, really. Just not a lot of motivation, you know?

I am struck though, by how often I am in a group of [mostly] women and I hear comments about how much they dislike driving. One can't see at night, one doesn't like bridges, one hates trucks (;)), one won't travel alone. My mother is the consummate traveler, as were her parents. Is it genetic or learned, the love of being on the road? Do you have it, or are you a timid, uncomfortable driver? Do you feel that you are a good driver? Do you go the speed limit (above or below)? Do you keep the gas pedal steady or are you forever pushing and releasing, pushing and releasing (which, btw, makes this particular passenger sick to her stomach)?

Just a bunch of travel questions running through my head. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll be back to check in tomorrow evening. :D

I dislike driving. I think it's inherently dangerous. I really can't see at night - or rather, I can see, but my eyes don't really do that depth perception thing very well, and the effect is far worse at night. Bridges can give me panic attacks. Driving through storms scares me, badly.

But still, I do it. I do feel that I'm a good driver, most of the time. You're unlikely to get seasick with me. I stay at about the speed limit. I try to not travel alone, but if I have to, I will. I just drove my kids from MI to VA without Dh or another adult along. It was no big deal.

I also love road trips, the long conversations, the lots of good music time, the inherent adventure.

So I don't know what camp that puts me in.

But I enjoy it. I particularly enjoy when I'm driving and the kids and the hubby are asleep. I can just . . . think. Enjoy the company of my own thoughts.

I am attentive to potential hazards. And I'm perhaps more aware of them than your standard 22yo clueless male. I'm ultra-attentive when I'm on the bike, since the hazards are greater and the protection virtually nil.

But attentive doesn't = stressful for me.

I generally put on the cruise control, both to keep my speed reasonable and to keep the ride smooth. I do not drive aggressively, as a rule, although more timid passengers might find my driving a little . . . decisive.

I prefer to do the driving, if I have any choice. I don't mean when it's a choice between dh and me--I don't mind his driving. But if I'm going somewhere with a friend, or with my mom, or whatever, I generally offer to drive. I don't insist, but I'm quick to offer.

I enjoyed driving in France. Better roads, and as one of my friends says, "Driving in France is much safer than driving in the US. You can always count on a French driver to behave with perfect consistency. He will always take every advantage he legally can. 'Nice' American drivers will get you killed."

I love to drive, and ,most of the time, I'd say I'm a relaxed driver. Driving through a large city with a lot of traffic doesn't stress me too much. Whenever we make a road trip, I'm the primary driver which is a good thing since dh has a tendency to fall asleep at the wheel. :001_huh:

Diann

I'm what I call a RAD--reformed aggressive driver. I was born with a leadfoot--when I was a child I always loved it when my dad passed people and hated it when he "let" people pass him. For a while in my early 20s I'd have anxiety attacks before sleeping because I was so aggressive on the road, but never when driving.

Then I got smart/aggressive and was told, by at least one man, that I drove like a man, which I took as a compliment at the time (how it was meant, you have to know the context to realize it was not meant to insult anyone, it was my driving style.) Still heavy footed, but no following too close to get ready to pass (to me crazy stupid--speed up and pass with distance between you & the next car.)

Now I try to be relaxed. For one thing, it's smarter to drive less aggressively and share the road. Instead of cursing everyone who "cuts me off," I leave room for people to change lanes--not common practice around here;). For another thing, I know darn well that the older we get the slower our reflexes are, and I don't want to be 80 and driving 80 mph, kwim? Third, I don't want my kids to grow up to be very aggressive drivers. Fourth, I now know that it's possible to survive many accidents driving at 55 mph that are fatal at higher speeds. Not that I can bring myself to drive 55 mph in a 65 mph zone, at least not yet.

I am the ultimate driver. I don't mean this as bragging, but I always have been. Having grown up in NYC, I can truly drive anywhere--I don't smoke now, haven't since before I got pregnant with dd (thank goodness!!), but my mom always said she pictured me driving my stick shift through Manhattan, a cig in one hand, TCBY in the other, singing, with no prob. If you can drive in Manhattan, you can drive anywhere.

I can park anywhere, I can fit between two cars with no prob, I find driving one of the most relaxing things in the world. I love getting on the road, especially for a road trip, knowing I can relax, chat with dd along the way, play my tunes, and just ride. I've driven all over the world, from India (now that is a whole other trip!), to Europe, even Indonesia and Egypt, and never had a prob. I've driven everything from a Honda CRX (tiny, two passenger) to a 24' box truck, when my xh and I owned a moving business (not far, just 20 miles to a mechanic, but I could even back it up).

I love, love, love to drive, and in 25 years, I have never had an accident that was my fault or a ticket--I am careful, courteous (well, to the extent I should be--I am a NY driver ;) ), and know the rules of the road--it is the other drivers I worry about. These drivers in VA, uh-uh, they are the ones that worry me. But I'd rather have me behind the wheel than anyone else I know.

But I'd rather have me behind the wheel than anyone else I know.

Yes, I'm like this, just didn't want to say it. I haven't driven all over the world, though, but have driven many vehicles, including a backhoe & a boat. One year I got to drive a "grasshoppers" 5 wheeled mower and the supervisor was amazed--he told me I'd picked up almost everything on my own that he had to teach most people--all he taught me was at the very beginning when he showed me how the controls worked (no steering wheel, you turned each wheel separately, etc.) and gave me a couple of pointers.

I have to admit, I am a mean driver. I am aggressive, I know where I want to go and it irritates me when people "get in my way". But, let me say, I am not a reckless, careless driver and will not put myself or anyone else in danger. I also do not use my finger, but I have been known to blast my horn a time or two.

Having lived in a few different regions of the US, let me just say I love driving in WA...they don't fool around there. They are aggressive, use their signals, and obey the red lights! At least that was my experience. Here, in mid. TN where I live now, I think most people have no idea where their turning signals are or how to use them and a just turned red light is still yellow! Again, that has been my experience.

...........................................................:auto:

I love to drive. My dad loved to drive but my mom doesn't. I drive to visit my family (10 hours each way) at least once a year. Just me and the kiddos. I love to listen to music and books on tape.

I would say I am a safe driver. I have been in one accident (I was 19) and it wasn't my fault, really! The insurance company and all the witnesses said so! :) I sometimes go the speed but usually set cruise a little over.

I love to drive. My dad loved to drive but my mom doesn't. I drive to visit my family (10 hours each way) at least once a year. Just me and the kiddos. I love to listen to music and books on tape.

I would say I am a safe driver. I have been in one accident (I was 19) and it wasn't my fault, really! The insurance company and all the witnesses said so! :) I sometimes go the speed but usually set cruise a little over.

Also it is a good thing I like to drive. I get very car sick if I am not driving. It is a good thing my husband doesn't question his masculinity cause I drive us everywhere when we go out as a family.

I am struck though, by how often I am in a group of [mostly] women and I hear comments about how much they dislike driving. One can't see at night, one doesn't like bridges, one hates trucks (;)), one won't travel alone. My mother is the consummate traveler, as were her parents. Is it genetic or learned, the love of being on the road? Do you have it, or are you a timid, uncomfortable driver? Do you feel that you are a good driver? Do you go the speed limit (above or below)? Do you keep the gas pedal steady or are you forever pushing and releasing, pushing and releasing?

:auto:

I am completely comfortable behind the wheel! I love it, although in new (to me) busy towns, I can get a little nervous. Los Angeles makes me really nervous and I'm glad that I don't have to drive thru there too often. I can do the outskirts with no problem, but not downtown. That's really intimidating! :eek:

I think that I'm a good driver. I keep the car pretty much on cruise control, so no herky jerkyness. ;) I go a little over the speed limit, not by much though.

I think that it perhaps is genetic. My dad is a driver and has good directional sense, as do I.

Hey, this is a cool conversation idea. :)

I like to drive. City driving, night driving, alone driving, whatever. I do NOT like driving beside those little temporary road construction walls especially when an 18 wheeler is also passing me on the other side. I can get a bit momentarily panicky then. :) My family has never been ones to avoid driving but I definitely choose to fly rather than drive on huge trips.

I'd say I'm a careful driver; more careful than many others I know. On interstate or major highway driving (long distance typically) I'm pretty much no more than 8 above speed limit; usually not more than 5 or 6 in town. Oh, and I'd definitely say I'm a consistent speed driver. I definitely use cruise while on long trips too.

I dislike driving. I think it's inherently dangerous. I really can't see at night - or rather, I can see, but my eyes don't really do that depth perception thing very well, and the effect is far worse at night. Bridges can give me panic attacks. Driving through storms scares me, badly.

But still, I do it. I do feel that I'm a good driver, most of the time. You're unlikely to get seasick with me. I stay at about the speed limit. I try to not travel alone, but if I have to, I will. I just drove my kids from MI to VA without Dh or another adult along. It was no big deal.

I also love road trips, the long conversations, the lots of good music time, the inherent adventure.

So I don't know what camp that puts me in.

:iagree: Pretty much ditto to that. I don't drive at night if I don't have to, but I love to drive. I like driving by myself however, when I can crank the tunes and cruise.

I am a relaxed driver during the day. I don't go anywhere except around here (no expressways) and if I have to, I get unrelaxed fast because I have zero sense of direction and get lost easily. Put it this way: I once drove to Burlington, VT from Mass., and took 8 hours to get there instead of 4.

I have an SUV and most other cars on the road don't mess with me. OTOH, when I'm driving DH's car (which I call the Wimpmobile), all sorts of things happen -- mostly people turning left in front of me from the right lane or coming to a complete stop across my lane in heavy traffic while they wait to turn.

At night, I can't see well (especially if it is raining) if there is oncoming traffic, so I try real hard to avoid that.

I'm not very relaxed in deep snow either, SUV or not.

I will not drive in big cities because I'm not used to it any more.

RC

Many years ago a friend of mine went to the optometrist and discovered that she didn't have night blindness exactly but that it seems people with light colored eyes are easily "overwhelmed" by light sources such as oncoming car lights or street lights at night and this can make it difficult to drive due to the inability to see past the lights into the shadows.

I don't know if this is true but...maybe it explains some of the dislike of night driving.

One funny stat: 90% of Americans rate themselves as above-average drivers. (Talk about Lake Wobegon!)

Funny you mention that statistic, for I couldn't help but smile inwardly while reading these replies that for the most part, people consider themselves good drivers. Even the more "decisive" drivers are "good drivers". I'm not saying that's not true. Honestly, I think it takes decisiveness to be a good driver. But, does anyone ever say, "I'm a terrible driver"? Kelli -- you came close, which tells me that while you may have issues with driving, you are a very well balanced person of issue. :lol:

Obviously (?), we're home. We had a safe, pleasant journey though I thought my intestines were cooking at some point in yesterday's heat. Thank goodness for a bit of a weather shift today.

Enjoyed the replies! :001_smile: