Menu

What book turned your older daughter onto reading? DD12 isn't hooked yet

Those Warriors books. My dd12 has read through all three series this year and is now devouring Seekers. However, she still isn't all that bullish on any book not by Erin Hunter. :glare: When she finishes up the Seekers books in oh, a week or so, I'll be here asking what next to keep up the momentum!

A few that have made 13 yr old dd go on a reading frenzy are...

Percy Jackson series

Tom Sawyer

Hunger games series

The Giver

Wrinkle in Time series

Watership Down

Animal Farm

The Fault in our Stars (which led 13 yr dd to read several John Green books)

Out of My Mind

The Outsiders

My oldest did not like reading in the middle grades. Now, as a high schooler, she seems to inhale books and frequents the library and kindle store. Youngest has always enjoyed reading and as a younger middle schooler read the Little House on the Prairie books.

The Scarlet Pimpernil grabbed my oldest when she was about 13. My youngest, now in 8th grade, has enjoyed H G Wells, The War of the Worlds this year. My oldest has always enjoyed poetry and keeps various poetry books on her bookshelf. Both have read and enjoyed Watership Down this year.

Just remembered Swiss Family Robinson was a hit last year in 7th. Youngest has also liked the Miss Marple mysteries by Agatha Christie.

Percy Jackson series. I had a very hard time getting her to read. And now I can't get her to stop! She started with the Red Pyramid. She's now almost finished with the Roman Mysteries series.

Series seem to work best as they get hooked on them.

An odd, off the wall book, is "Wonder." It's great for adults and middle schoolers.

Laura

My daughter is reading the Fablehaven series - I found it at Sam's Club and figured I would give it a try with her. She's 3 books in and is making me read them after her. Now I'm having all my kids do book reports and she is enjoying The Little House on the Prairie - which she tried before and couldn't get into and kept putting it aside.

Other books she would start and just set aside and never finish.

We also checked and she was having a problem with focusing on reading books because of her eyes! With glasses she had to retrain her eyes to focus and now does much better and is more confident in her reading.

Not a book, but have you considered a Kindle? My son was never a reader. He enjoyed reading, but wouldn't do bigger books because the size intimidated him. I bought both my bigger kids Kindles two Christmases ago. They love them. My son (almost 11), reads all the time now. I can't tell you how many books I've had to rebuy because he wanted it on the Kindle. Fine by me, reduces my book clutter and gets him reading. ;-).

FTR, I would do a regular Kindle, not the Fire. A friend made a comment that stuck with me. "I love the Kindle because all he can do is read. He can't play games, surf the Internet, just read."

My 12 yr old dd was't much of a reader until last year she found the Warrior series. She didn't put them down until she had completed all the series (I can't keep them straight). Plus, she started writing her own stories. She's now into Redwall - can't get enough of them. She also read Eragon in just a few days, but then she found Redwall. I felt desperate when I couldn't even interest her in Harry Potter, but give her animals and she's good.

I polled my kids. Here are their answers:

The Shadow Children Series - Margaret Peterson Haddox

Harry Potter, Percy, Hunger

Little Women

To Kill a Mockingbird

All Creatures Great and Small series

Farmer Boy

Sherlock Holmes (esp. Hound of the Baskervilles)

A Single Shard and/or Project Mulberry by Linda Sue Park

Mysterious Benedict Society

Invention of Hugo Cabret - mix of graphic novel/novel

My 12 yr old dd was't much of a reader until last year she found the Warrior series. She didn't put them down until she had completed all the series (I can't keep them straight). Plus, she started writing her own stories. She's now into Redwall - can't get enough of them. She also read Eragon in just a few days, but then she found Redwall. I felt desperate when I couldn't even interest her in Harry Potter, but give her animals and she's good.

Wow, my dd is just like this, right down to not even Harry Potter grabbing her (she's read the first 5, but is in no hurry to finish the series!). She did read the first Percy Jackson series, but the second didn't grab her, and she only got a few books into the Kane Chronicles...

I did get the first Redwall out of the library in the hopes that might work when she's done with Seekers, so you give me hope that maybe that will keep her going... maybe it is the animals!