Menu

In need of fashion advice for my college age daughter

Christy B

She would love a "formula" to follow: casual = jeans + . . .

She really doesn't like to fuss with clothes but she is at a loss when certain events (public speaking class; going to a social gathering with a special friend) make her want to dress a bit more "special" and she really doesn't know how to venture past her safety zone of jeans, t-shirts, and cons (really, nine days out of ten that is perfectly fine for her).

I would like to put together some mix and match options and literally take pictures on her iPhone so that she has a personalized catalog of sorts. (Yes, she really is that clueless; and yes, she really would be relieved at this level of help!)

I don't even know where to begin, though, in searching out clothing for her. She is not a girly-girl but she does like to look feminine sometimes, and I think she would like to look like the college student that she is, and dress more confidently for certain classes and activities. To complicate things, she is sturdy size 8, battling a few extra pounds from college dorm life, and a DD cup size. So the typical "junior size" clothing just does not work for her; everything seems to be cut for girls with no curves! I was in JCPenney at Christmas (can you tell I just LOVE to shop) and I did notice a trend toward the more boxy (and familiar, to me!) styles of the 80s, which I know she would love.

Mostly I shop at Goodwill, but if I could look at some websites I could get a feel for what is "current" and "young" but not overly trendy.

Suggestions? I know Old Navy. That's about it!

I would think a pair of black pants and a black skirt would be useful for anyone. Then you can use black heels or black flats. Also a small black purse. You could get various tops that are more or less dressy to go with them. The tops could be trendy or classic.

What she said! A nice pair of jeans, well fitted, would also be versatile with a variety of tops.

I don't think you can't go wrong with black pants or leggings in a non-clingy material, plus layered tops, really nice boots or dressy flats. Then wear dangly earrings, ethnic necklaces, chunky bracelets (but not all at once!). Add an oversize purse, a great scarf to minimize 'sturdiness.' Would that work?

Here is my idea for a basic wardrobe for anyone:

A few pairs of pants or jeans (one black, one navy blue, one dark wash, maybe one medium wash).

A few pairs of black/dark gray leggings to wear under dark colored plain mini skirts (denim or knit)

Flat soled boots (black) and black flats.

Dark or red or pink turtlenecks / long-sleeve tees / ribbed long-sleeve tops to match with the jeans or skirt/leggings or denim skirt.

Fitted velvet short jacket

A few scarves that match the other colors.

A big black purse

Jewelry: pearl / diamond-type studs or dangly earrings + silver chain w/little pendant + silver bracelet

A couple of nice simple dresses for church--can wear with the black flats or something with a little heel.

She could take what she likes up one notch so she doesn't feel uncomfortable. Switch jeans for skinny jeans in black or a dark blue. Add a blouse or shirt. A boyfriend style shirt for more casual days and a more fitted blouse for more formal ones. There are lots of quirky retro style blouses around at the moment so she can choose some items with a bit of personality. Then add a pair of mid calf boots or heels or flats depending upon the event. I tend to wear flat ankle boots with skinny jeans alot too because it's casual but not scruffy.

I agree that there are tons of ideas on pinterest. This board might be useful.

Have you looked at Pinterest? There are a lot of boards with wardrobe ideas. They have pins like, 16 wardrobe pieces and x# of outfits. It might be the sort of thing you need.

Polyvore is a site where people post outfit ideas. It is good too.

http://www.polyvore.com

eta: For example, here is a post from Polyvore with 5 wardrobe pieces and ways to combine them to make 5 different outfits.

http://www.polyvore.com/spring_remix/set?id=75123851

Or here is a blog that someone had pinned on Pinterest that shows 14 wardrobe pieces and how to combine them to make 30 work outfits:

http://outfitposts.blogspot.com/2012/11/one-suitcase-business-casual-capsule_6313.html

The same blogger posts photos of recent outfits.

Can I just say I feel your pain! I was visiting my oldest dd at college last week for her b'day. I told her when she's home for Spring Break we need to go shopping for new clothes. Her response???? "Mom, I'm at a school that's 90% guys. I just have to show up-it doesn't matter what I wear." :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I really came into feeling comfortable with fashion and my clothing choices when I got this program: http://dressingyourtruth.com

Having a set of colors and design line guidelines has been awesome. My whole wardrobe is now mix-and-match. I feel comfortable with everything that I wear now and no longer buy things that I end up not liking and wearing much. You can do the "discover your type" course for free and then look at the store offerings for each type if you can't afford the course or don't want to buy it. My daughters have started dressing for their type as well.

I live in a college town and the girls around here dress like clones.

Casual- big tshirt (usually from a sorority event), running tights or Nike Tempo shorts (which you often can't see below the shirt), running shoes, sloppy hair / pony tail

day wear - tight jeans, riding boots (or sometimes Toms), nicer top (usually flowy or something with bra straps showing), North Face jacket

church - really short dress with cowboy boots or stilettos

To me it's totally laughable, so I enthusiastically applaud you for helping her learn about what looks good on her. I am so saddened to see all the girls here dress exactly alike - though it looks nice on 10% of them. I understand looking "trendy" but it's so refreshing to see a young lady who looks timely with a little flair of her own, and in clothes that actually fit her. Go, Mom!!

I really came into feeling comfortable with fashion and my clothing choices when I got this program: http://dressingyourtruth.com

Having a set of colors and design line guidelines has been awesome. My whole wardrobe is now mix-and-match. I feel comfortable with everything that I wear now and no longer buy things that I end up not liking and wearing much. You can do the "discover your type" course for free and then look at the store offerings for each type if you can't afford the course or don't want to buy it. My daughters have started dressing for their type as well.

I also did this course and love how much better I look. I haven't been into clothes for years and had no clue where to start. Now when we look at old pictures, my girls say, "that's before dressing your truth, when you were beastly."

Good Luck!

Rene

I'm a jeans and nice tee girl, but it is really easy to throw on a scarf or a big statement necklace (knockoffs of something like the j crew bubble necklace) and make the tee/jeans combo look a lot more intentional.

A cute blazer can dress up jeans and work with a tee shirt. They even make knit blazers now that are softer and less dressy. LOFT sells stuff like that.

'

A nice coat goes a long way for just walking around but making your whole look more pulled together.

Not sure if she likes dresses at all, but Target often has cute and affordable summer dresses. I've found myself wearing them more and more because for $20 I can't buy shorts and a tee or a tee and jeans. WIth a dress, throw it on and you are done. Add a cardigan over it, belt it, add a necklace and you have different looks. But really for 15-30 bucks there are often cute dresses at Target and other retailers.

Two other blogs to add that I don't think were mentioned:

http://www.puttingmetogether.com/

I think her looks are very college friendly, still professional, still mostly pretty casual. She uses lots of scarves and blazers to dress up otherwise simple outfits)

http://www.kendieveryday.com/

She wears a lot of dresses and skirts, but does dress up jeans with casual blazers and such, so maybe some useful stuff there. This blogger owns a boutique, but she also does a lot of shopping at Target and that might give your DD some pieces to look for.

Pinterest and polyvore are great.

Another store is TJ Maxx or Marshalls (same store different name in different places). They have cute, unique items that are not overly expensive. They also have good clearance. My tip is to try everything on, what looks great on a hanger may not work on an actual human body.

If she likes boxier, I've seen some tees pop up in sturdier fabrics that are more boxy looking and cute. I haven't seen this one in real life, but something like this:

http://www.loft.com/...faultColor=6600

Never pay full price there. They run sales all the time, and they vary in how good they are. But definitely don't pay full price. That tee could be dressed up with colored ballet flats (red maybe), or with different scarves, a colorful bolder necklace, or with a long chain necklace as shown in the pics. It could be paired with a blazer to dress it up, even with just jeans.

Would she wear something like a maxi dress (try Target, Old Navy, etc.) with a little denim jacket? Easy, breezy, and cute. She could wear different jewelry or scarves to change the look.

I live in a college town and the girls around here dress like clones.

Casual- big tshirt (usually from a sorority event), running tights or Nike Tempo shorts (which you often can't see below the shirt), running shoes, sloppy hair / pony tail

day wear - tight jeans, riding boots (or sometimes Toms), nicer top (usually flowy or something with bra straps showing), North Face jacket

church - really short dress with cowboy boots or stilettos

To me it's totally laughable, so I enthusiastically applaud you for helping her learn about what looks good on her. I am so saddened to see all the girls here dress exactly alike - though it looks nice on 10% of them. I understand looking "trendy" but it's so refreshing to see a young lady who looks timely with a little flair of her own, and in clothes that actually fit her. Go, Mom!!

Ah, yes, I am familiar with this "look". And yes, she would be in the 90% that would not look nice in those outfits. Which is probably why she's asking for help -- this is mostly what she sees at school, I'm sure, and I think she knows just enough to know that for some reason, it's not the right look for her, even if she couldn't articulate *why*.

She does like dresses, actually! I forget, because she spends a good deal of her life in BDUs and dress blues for Civil Air Patrol, but she actually does like dresses, AND they definitely solve the problem of having to put separate pieces together. GREAT idea for spring / summer, because they are cool and comfy. We have both a TJ Maxx and a Ross nearby so that's a great idea. She's tall enough that she looks really good in a dress. And she has claimed my Calvin Klein denim jacket from the 80s and thinks it's the coolest thing EVER so that would be a great layer for her to finish up the school year in VA, where it is a bit cooler, and then have the dresses to wear all summer and back to school here in NC in August.

Regarding the Toms shoes . . . I've noticed these on a LOT of my high school students -- do college students wear these, too? My dd prefers flat, flat, FLAT shoes -- she says that the typical arch support found in running shoes or better brand flats (Clarks, Dansko, etc) actually hurt her feet and make her knees and back hurt. I wonder if she would like the Toms.