Menu

margarita

Myra

I'd like to treat myself with a good mixed alcoholic drink - no reason, just wanna!

But every time I try to make a "restaurant" quality margarita, it just doesn't taste right. Even those drink mixes you can get at the grocery store seems lacking. Any hints.....

Myra

My step dad makes the best margaritas hands down and when I moved out I made sure to get my own fixins'. He uses Casadores Tequila, but I am sure any good quality one will do. Oh, and he uses the lemonade "Simply Lemonade" from the grocery store. Add a splash of Cointreau liquor and lime juice. Sooooo good, but expensive. I don't do it often, but I never regret it.

There are a kajillion variations, some slight, some not. Here's mine...

2 oz good tequila

2 oz Cointreau

2 limes, juiced (optionally mix finely grated zest with salt to rim glasses)

Shake. Serve in prepared glasses

My step dad makes the best margaritas hands down and when I moved out I made sure to get my own fixins'. He uses Casadores Tequila, but I am sure any good quality one will do. Oh, and he uses the lemonade "Simply Lemonade" from the grocery store. Add a splash of Cointreau liquor and lime juice. Sooooo good, but expensive. I don't do it often, but I never regret it.

I use the Simply brand stuff too, but I just use the limeade (I like the lemonade for my vodka). Decent but not expensive tequila, a bit of triple sec, and Simply Limeade does it for me. Alternately, a better quality mix might help, too. Most are nasty and full of artificial flavors and colors. I think the brand I've used is Stirrings??, which is all natural and has much better flavor than most others I've tried.

I think the key is fresh lime juice. The mixes never taste as good as fresh-squeezed to me. Bottled lime juice also isn't as good--nothing compares to the taste of fresh squeezed. I also find that the thin-skinned limes are much better for margaritas than the thick-skinned ones. nmoira's recipe is pretty similar to the one we use. If you like them sweeter, you can add a teaspoon or so of simple syrup (just microwave a spoonful of sugar with a small (roughly equal or a little bit more) amount of water, and stir until dissolved into a syrup). You can also used an aged (anejo) tequila for another variation, and you can vary the proportions of tequila to Cointreau. Some like more like 2 ounces tequila to 1 or 1.5 ounces Cointreau (or triple sec--Cointreau is better, but triple sec will work).

Have fun experimenting! You can keep trying to perfect it, and have fun along the way.

I remember making some a long time ago and we used frozen lime juice (like frozen OJ) only it was in a smaller container. I think we put it in the blender with ice, tequilla and maybe something else probably sugar. The frozen lime had a better taste than those mixes, but was easier than squeezing fresh. I suppose you could do frozen lemon or combine them.

I've been trying to get this right lately too. I originally tried 1/3 each tequila, grand marnier, and lime juice, but it was just too strong. I'm a lightweight and even though I love tequila, it goes to my head. I tried contreau too, but it's just too strong.The most recent recipe that I'm pretty happy with is

2 parts Simply LIMEade

1/2 part tequila

1/2 part triple sec

You had me at margarita. I personally prefer strawberry margaritas, frozen with a salt rim.

Wow, that was wildly unhelpful. Also, it's only 9:30am here and I can't justify having one this early in the morning. Curses.

Yeah, even I can't come up with a good reason for a margarita at 9:30 a.m. :laugh:

Just wanted to add, if you want a "Blue Lagoon" look, feel free to use blue curacao in place of the triple sec/Cointreau.

2 oz good tequila

2 oz Cointreau

This is similar to how my DH makes his, and I think his are awesome. Although he doesn't use Cointreau, but one of the less expensive brands. And probably not in equal proportion to the tequila, probably around an ounce. But heck, I'm not totally certain. I drink 'em, but don't make 'em! I just know he sticks to those few ingredients.

My contribution to all of our Christmas and Thanksgiving family functions is this. It's delicious:

2 cups tequils

1 1/3 cups cranberry juice

1 cup Cointreau, triple sec or Grand Marnier

2/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice

This makes a small pitcher and can easily be cut down. Not too tart, not too sweet, seriously refreshing. For me, the fresh lime juice makes all the difference in a good margarita.

I've been trying to get this right lately too. I originally tried 1/3 each tequila, grand marnier, and lime juice, but it was just too strong. I'm a lightweight and even though I love tequila, it goes to my head. I tried contreau too, but it's just too strong.The most recent recipe that I'm pretty happy with is

2 parts Simply LIMEade

1/2 part tequila

1/2 part triple sec

This is pretty much what I do, only less triple sec (and probably more tequila--I eyeball it).

Those of you who can't find a reason to have a cocktail at 9:30 am have obviously never been horse show people (at least not on the Hunter/Jumper circuit). If you're a lightweight, you start the day with Bailey's in your coffee, probably at 5 am. The rest of us are probably carrying something a bit more high octane in those innocent-looking coffee cups. Mine is usually vodka with a bit of lemon. I don't walk into the schooling ring without it. ;)

Those of you who can't find a reason to have a cocktail at 9:30 am have obviously never been horse show people (at least not on the Hunter/Jumper circuit). If you're a lightweight, you start the day with Bailey's in your coffee, probably at 5 am. The rest of us are probably carrying something a bit more high octane in those innocent-looking coffee cups. Mine is usually vodka with a bit of lemon. I don't walk into the schooling ring without it. ;)

Read back. We didn't say "no liquor." Just no margaritas. Too show-off-y at 9:30 a.m. :smilielol5:

Frozen margaritas . . . also stupid.

I'll allow for skipping the salt, but I'll still be a little judgy about it.

i was all "Yeah!" until I got to the salt.

Margaritas without salt are stupid. :tongue_smilie:

Read back. We didn't say "no liquor." Just no margaritas. Too show-off-y at 9:30 a.m. :smilielol5:

LOL. Yep, at 9:30 it's acceptable to drink your liquor straight (or as a complement to your coffee for example). But mixing up a margarita at that early hour is just trying too hard. :D

my husband swore he made margaritas with frozen lime juice, so we tried . . .but it was awful. I am pretty sure that what he thought was 'frozen lime juice' was actually frozen limeade mix. My sister used to make frozen margaritas at the beach. i tried, but i just didnt like them. i made pina coladas. now i mostly have kahlua in my soy hot cocoa, kahlua in my coffee, and the occasional white russian . . .

my husband swore he made margaritas with frozen lime juice, so we tried . . .but it was awful. I am pretty sure that what he thought was 'frozen lime juice' was actually frozen limeade mix. My sister used to make frozen margaritas at the beach. i tried, but i just didnt like them. i made pina coladas. now i mostly have kahlua in my soy hot cocoa, kahlua in my coffee, and the occasional white russian . . .

Any alcoholic drink made with milk is foul!!!

2 oz good tequila

2 oz Cointreau

I do basically this, but I use Patron and Triple Sec. I also add a bit of simple syrup (that I make ahead and keep in the fridge). Rocks, extra salt.

Wait, I can get on the no milk wagon, but not the whole no dairy thing! Grasshoppers (heavy cream). Some crazy Blue curacao variant of Grasshoppers we made a Christmas with coconut rims -- again full cream. And then there was my Mom's Brandy Alexanders....WOW! Cream never packed such a punch...

Now I want Baileys. With vodka and a bit of cream. Mmmmm...

Sorry, but I have to say it...

Baileys is stupid.

:D

You need to try my sister's Bailey's cupcakes. They could change your mind!

This might get me banned or sent to the corner (no dunce cap please... I just don't have a hat face) but cupcakes are stupid.

:p