Menu

Tipping- Pizza delivery vs. Waiter/Waitress

DragonFaerie

I remember a thread a while back about how much to tip the pizza delivery driver, and a news story this morning inspired me to look into it. From what I've learned, 15% is pretty standard. 15% is also pretty standard for tipping restaurant waiters/waitresses. What I don't understand is why the delivery driver should be tipped the same as the waitress. Yes, the driver brings my food to me and deserves a tip. But that's all. The waitress brings my food, sometimes multiple courses, brings me drinks, refills those drinks, brings me extra napkins and whatever else I might need, clears dishes as I finish with them, cleans up any spills, etc, not to mention doing all of those things for everyone at the table, including the kiddos. It seems to me that the waitress does considerably more work over a longer period of time than the delivery driver does. Why should they be tipped the same? FTR, I'm not talking about tipping extra for good service or tipping less for poor service or being a "good tipper" versus a "bad tipper." What I mean is why should both services be "worth" the same amount of tip when the driver does considerably less work?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I often tip the delivery driver MORE, because he has to get in his car -- sometimes in the rain or cold -- and fight traffic to get to our house. He sometimes he has find the house in the dark. Even if the restaurant is close by, it still takes him a while to get over here and deliver the food. So I might be the only delivery he makes in a half-hour or longer. Also, he might be paying for gas for his car from his own money.

I don't tip 15% for pizza delivery. I generally tip $5 which would be more like 33% for our normal order (1 large pizza). If I placed a huge order I would probably tip $20 or so since the driver would be carrying just my order (rather than 3 or 4 orders) on that trip out.

(I am assuming this has something to do with the $10 tip on an 85 pizza order that has been talked about in the news).

That is the story that I saw, but then I started thinking about that old thread about tipping for pizza delivery, and I still don't get it. Yes, they drive their own cars and pay for gas, but I still think driving is a lot less work that waitressing. And if they don't like driving or have a gas-guzzler or poorly running vehicle, then perhaps pizza delivery isn't the job for them.

Same here. 15% would be quite low. But that's also why I don't tend to order pizza delivery. Too expensive when you figure in the tip!

What I don't understand is why delivering a pizza is worth a 15% tip. I'm not saying they don't deserve a tip. They most certainly do. But I don't think it should be the same as I'd pay if I were actually being waited on in a restaurant.

Not all pizza delivery people are paid minimum wage. They can depend on tips too. My ex-husband delivered pizzas for a while in our early years and it was one of the worst jobs he ever had because people rarely tipped him enough to make the drive worth it.

The reasons I mentioned. They are paid based on the assumption they will make tips. They take the risk. They deal with the annoyance of driving through rain, sleet, snow, etc. trying to find different places all the time. It really would be the last job on earth I'd want!

I wouldn't want their job, either, but driving to my house and handing me a pizza or two just isn't the same as what a waiter does, IMO.

My husband has asked if I plan to adopt the Dominos delivery folks because I tip so heavily. The reason is that I only order out (whether it's Pizza, Chinese, Indian, or whatever) when it's a) a night I really, really don't want to cook and B) it's a night I really, really don't want to go out-which usually means that it's cold, snowing, etc. And I feel guilty for bringing the guy out in it-especially for our local Chinese restaurant, which is family owned and where it really is someone who also cooks, runs the registers, and cleans up at the end of the night who is running out and getting in his car to bring me the food that I'm too lazy to go out and get. I don't tip at the same restaurants when I do take-out (which is much more common).

FWIW, we also tip 20% or more in restaurants-because both DH and I have worked enough service-type jobs to realize just how unappreciated and how underpaid it is, and that while we might tip 20%, another person will tip nothing or 5% and feel they're justified.

Pizza delivery drivers usually get paid at least $7/hour, from what I've read online. In my small town, they get $10/hour.

Waiters get around $2/hour in most states.

That's a big difference. Delivery drivers are not relying on tips to round out their pay to the degree that waiters do. There are two kinds of tipping, generally. The "Great job! Here's a little extra!" kind, and the "Here is your compensation for the services rendered" kind. The reason waiters are paid so low (a "contract wage" it is called) is that their customers are supposed to be providing their pay directly. And as a former waitress, I am a huge proponent of this system--I think it creates better customer service, has a better chance of weeding out poor waiters, and in the end provides higher pay compared to working in fast food or what have you.

Should delivery drivers get the same percentage tip as waiters? No, because they are not contract employees--the government has decided that pizza companies should employ them the full wage and that it should be sufficient to cover the costs of gas and such. Maybe you think they should be paid more, and thus you'll give them 15% or 20% or whatever. That's up to you, and I think it's always kind to give someone who doing their job well something extra no matter what it is. However, we shouldn't blur the lines here and act as if the two jobs are the same. Waiters and delivery drivers are operating on a fundemantally different premise.

On a personal note, what do I tip delivery drivers? We never order delivery, so I can't really answer that. We always do carry-out.

We give the pizza guy a $5. If I'm feeling cheap and don't want to tip him well, I drive out and pick up my own pizza. He ends up getting a higher percentage, but less money per dinner because a restaurant meal always costs more and we tip the wait staff 20%.

I think it would be MORE of a hassle to deliver pizza than wait tables. It's safer too.

FWIW, I think the way they pay waiters is downright criminal and I can't believe restaurants still get away with it.

Though we never use delivery, the pizza shop we mainly buy from is like 2 miles down the street. So tipping them more than a server isn't reasonable imo. After working in a restaurant (and only as a hostess), my eyes were truly opened up as to how much a server actually does! I tip very well now.

A waiter takes your order and brings over the food. Big deal. I don't feel like that's worth a tip either.

See, to me, a waiter does considerably more than just hand you your food (which is often two or more courses). He also brings your drinks, refills said drinks, brings you anything extra you might need (napkins, more sauce, etc), and basically takes care of you while you eat, often right down to clearing away your dirty dishes.

I start at 20%. Where we live now, we don't get deliveries but even when we lived by the lake I tipped at least 20% for deliveries. If I didn't pick up, that meant there was a REASON I didn't want to go out there. So I'd happily pay some poor schmuck 20% to go out in a raging snow storm or during the Blue Angels show in the summer when the tourists freak me out. :laugh:

That house on the lake had a 15 foot driveway and wow was tourist season a mess. Blue Angels flew over my house all week long but take a 55 mile an hour road, add something special to look up at and 20 million old people and it was a disaster! If you could make it in and out of my driveway without totaling your car, you flipping earned a $10 spot.

A waiter takes your order and brings over the food. Big deal. I don't feel like that's worth a tip either.

LOL! Noooooo!

A server also puts a lot of your order together, gets/refills your drink, runs to get that extra sauce or napkins, picks up your dirty dishes, take care of your payment, etc. for you along with about 5 other tables. They have to deal with the "jerks", the nice people, the needy people, the picky people, etc.

I tip a set amount for Pizza. It is based on what I want to give. I never thought about it past that whether my son and I ordered some pizza or we ordered it when we were a family of 11.

At restaurants, I tip 20-50% usually (for extra small things, like coffee and a biscuit for one person, I'd tip 100%). Our fave restaurant regularly costs us $60some. The lowest I'd tip for decent service would be $12. Good service, a good mood, a bigger mess, more disposable income could knock it way up. I also pre-bus tables, wipe up any crumbs/messes/watermarks, etc.

In some instances the delivery guy does more than deliver also. He may be the one to take your order. He might even be the one to throw your pizza in the oven. I've seen it.

If that's the case (and the customer has no way to know whether it is or not on any given order), then the driver becomes the cook and the order taker and needs to talk to his boss about being paid for the extra jobs. That's not my responsibility. I pay for the pizza, which should include the wage for the guy taking my order and preparing my food.

If that's the case (and the customer has no way to know whether it is or not on any given order), then the driver becomes the cook and the order taker and needs to talk to his boss about being paid for the extra jobs. That's not my responsibility. I pay for the pizza, which should include the wage for the guy taking my order and preparing my food.

If you really feel like that, then don't order pizza. Restaurants are a service based industry. In the US, we have the tipping system. In many other countries, they don't.

But if tipping the pizza delivery guy gets you worked up, don't order pizza. Or go pick it up. If you think the job isn't worth the tip, then go get it yourself.

The last I knew, pizza delivery wasn't a Constitutional guarantee. :)

If you really feel like that, then don't order pizza. Restaurants are a service based industry. In the US, we have the tipping system. In many other countries, they don't.

But if tipping the pizza delivery guy gets you worked up, don't order pizza. Or go pick it up. If you think the job isn't worth the tip, then go get it yourself.

The last I knew, pizza delivery wasn't a Constitutional guarantee. :)

That's not what I'm saying at all. I DO think they deserve a tip for the service they are providing. But I can't see how they should get the same percentage as a waiter or waitress serving in a restaurant should get.

I also tip less at the Chinese buffet. They only bring drinks and take the plates.

I also tip less in a buffet than a full service restaurant. But it's comparing apples to oranges in terms of the amount of service the wait staff provides.

The waiter/waitress isn't using his/her own car/gas to bring you your food, nor paying insurance and getting wear and tear on said vehicle driving food to you, nor outside in all weather etc. etc.

If you do not believe in tipping the pizza person - get in your car and do take-out or eat at a pizza restaurant.

Think of the tip as a fee for your not having to clean up, get kids in the car, and go out to eat.

I think it should be though.

:smilielol5:

I haven't been able to get a pizza delivered since we moved to our farm. You show up here with a pizza at this point and I'll give you $100!!!

It's pretty easy. If you think service people are overpaid, don't use them. YOU go out and get your own dang food. Rural people have to do that every time anyway. :laugh:

Yeah I get delivery so infrequently that I never really thought about it. I think I do tip less for that than in a restaurant. I also tip less at the Chinese buffet. They only bring drinks and take the plates.

This. This is exactly what I mean. I tip about 20% in restaurants usually. I tip the pizza delivery driver $2-$3. To my mind, in my small town, it takes 10 minutes to get to my house at the most, so $2-$3 is a reasonable rate. I don't understand calculating tip based on percentage because it doesn't take any longer to hand me two pizzas than it does to hand me one.

The waiter/waitress isn't using his/her own car/gas to bring you your food, nor paying insurance and getting wear and tear on said vehicle driving food to you, nor outside in all weather etc. etc.

No but they are stuck with you for an hour despite how pleasant you are or crabby or needy or annoying or grouchy or loud or rude, etc etc.

Oh, along with about 5 other tables.

This. This is exactly what I mean. I tip about 20% in restaurants usually. I tip the pizza delivery driver $2-$3. To my mind, in my small town, it takes 10 minutes to get to my house at the most, so $2-$3 is a reasonable rate. I don't understand calculating tip based on percentage because it doesn't take any longer to hand me two pizzas than it does to hand me one.

Because I'm paying for my laziness. :D If I wanted to save that money, I'd drive into town and pick it up myself. If I'm going to decide to be lazy, I think the person picking up my slack should get compensated fairly.

No but they are stuck with you for an hour despite how pleasant you are or crabby or needy or annoying or grouchy or loud, etc etc.

Oh, along with about 5 other tables.

And going back and forth to your table bringing you whatever you need as well as taking care of your husband, kids, and whoever else is at your table.

But can't you say the same thing about a restaurant? If I order a $10 burger, vs. a $30 steak, has the waitress worked any harder bringing me the steak? When you tip in a restaurant, it is usually based on the total bill, not the actual number of items the waitress brings out.

We live too far out of town for pizza delivery, but I would tip at least 20% just for the convenience.

Yeah that's true. Sometimes the job requires one to use their own car. I imagine the company probably gives some allowance for gas, but yeah they do sometimes use their own car.

Mancino's used to deliver to us. They used their own cars. Even if the pizza company reimburses for some fuel, you are insuring it. You're using your brakes, your tires, you're pushing youself closer to oil changes, etc. etc. It's probably one of those jobs that if you really sat down with a calculator and a pencil, you might be a little horrified at what you lose on a deal like that.

Cars are the second most expensive product in most people's lives. Wearing them out faster by using them for work could be a problem depending upon the age and condition of the car. For teenagers driving around old beaters, that's how you learn how life works. You're supposed to suffer a little as a teenager with a car so you start to get the picture that rent and cars and food and pants are all going to need to be handled by your own little fanny someday rather soon. And your parents are supposed to bail you out when your tire falls off and goes flying down the road. :)

But what used to tear my heart up was the tired looking 50 year old delivery guy in the minivan. Oi.

I remember a thread a while back about how much to tip the pizza delivery driver, and a news story this morning inspired me to look into it. From what I've learned, 15% is pretty standard. 15% is also pretty standard for tipping restaurant waiters/waitresses. What I don't understand is why the delivery driver should be tipped the same as the waitress. Yes, the driver brings my food to me and deserves a tip. But that's all. The waitress brings my food, sometimes multiple courses, brings me drinks, refills those drinks, brings me extra napkins and whatever else I might need, clears dishes as I finish with them, cleans up any spills, etc, not to mention doing all of those things for everyone at the table, including the kiddos. It seems to me that the waitress does considerably more work over a longer period of time than the delivery driver does. Why should they be tipped the same? FTR, I'm not talking about tipping extra for good service or tipping less for poor service or being a "good tipper" versus a "bad tipper." What I mean is why should both services be "worth" the same amount of tip when the driver does considerably less work?

My husband has done pizza delivery. He got paid below minimum wage (just like a waiter), at that time it was about $4hr. He was expected to make it up in tips. He also had to use his own car and pay for his own gas, so most of the money went back into the vehicle and take home wasn't much. It's good as extra work in a desperate situation. Tipping a waiter is actually up to 18%, sometimes 20% depending upon where you are. A driver saves you from having to go out, fight traffic, spend gas, wear and tear on YOUR car, and delivers your food within a time limit and hot. He has saved you some money and given you a convenience at HIS (not the restaurant's) expense. Please tip him accordingly.

But can't you say the same thing about a restaurant? If I order a $10 burger, vs. a $30 steak, has the waitress worked any harder bringing me the steak? When you tip in a restaurant, it is usually based on the total bill, not the actual number of items the waitress brings out.

We live too far out of town for pizza delivery, but I would tip at least 20% just for the convenience.

This is what I mean. I'm trying to figure out why pizza delivery would be considered the same job, pay-wise, as waiting tables.

When I was a waitress, it wasn't that I was only paid $2 an hour, but that the taxes for my assumed tips (based on the hours worked) were taken out of my minimum wage paycheck.

I don't know if pizza delivery guys/gals are taxed the same way. Anyways, I do know that they have to carry a more expensive type of car insurance to cover the time when they are driving for work. That's enough for me, so I tip my pizza guys very well.

My husband has done pizza delivery. He got paid below minimum wage (just like a waiter), at that time it was about $4hr. He was expected to make it up in tips. He also had to use his own car and pay for his own gas, so most of the money went back into the vehicle and take home wasn't much. It's good as extra work in a desperate situation. Tipping a waiter is actually up to 18%, sometimes 20% depending upon where you are. A driver saves you from having to go out, fight traffic, spend gas, wear and tear on YOUR car, and delivers your food within a time limit and hot. He has saved you some money and given you a convenience at HIS (not the restaurant's) expense. Please tip him accordingly.

Maybe it has to do with my location. Where I live, in a teeny, tiny town, there is no traffic to fight. The pizza place is about 3 miles from my house so there's very little gas or wear and tear on the car. I do tip for the service because I appreciate not having to get it myself, but I think a few dollars for 10 minutes of someone's time is reasonable. And I do tip extra if the weather is bad.

That is the story that I saw, but then I started thinking about that old thread about tipping for pizza delivery, and I still don't get it. Yes, they drive their own cars and pay for gas, but I still think driving is a lot less work that waitressing. And if they don't like driving or have a gas-guzzler or poorly running vehicle, then perhaps pizza delivery isn't the job for them.

And yet, it's a job, a start, sometimes the only thing available, sometimes the only thing available to work around first or second job (my husband has worked up to three jobs at a time) or around school. Seriously, you might want to have a bit of grace and a bit less judgement. Perhaps be more courteous and recognise their work and tip them decently. As others have speculated, they DO go into dangerous neighbourhoods (some places don't let them anymore) and they are at higher risk of being attacked. They have taken all these things on themselves and their only vehicles and yet you would groan about tipping them just below what a waitress gets tipped?

Edit: I cross posted and realise that the pp was thinking in a different manner based on her experience. However, I would like this post to stay for those that may be thinking like this in the manner that I had perceived it.

And yet, it's a job, a start, sometimes the only thing available, sometimes the only thing available to work around first or second job (my husband has worked up to three jobs at a time) or around school. Seriously, you might want to have a bit of grace and a bit less judgement. Perhaps be more courteous and recognise their work and tip them decently. As others have speculated, they DO go into dangerous neighbourhoods (some places don't let them anymore) and they are at higher risk of being attacked. They have taken all these things on themselves and their only vehicles and yet you would groan about tipping them just below what a waitress gets tipped?

No. I'm not "groaning" about anything. I'm trying to understand why the two jobs are considered equivalent. Ten minutes of someone's time to deliver my pizza, versus 30 or 45 minutes of someone's time to serve me in a restaurant.

As for my post about driving and the vehicle, it seems silly to me for someone to opt for pizza delivery if they don't have a reliable vehicle or a willingness to drive. This is NOT about the economy and what jobs are available where any given person lives. But to my mind, the person who hates heights and throws up at the idea of being more than five feet off the ground probably shouldn't apply for the job of high-rise window washer just because the job is available.

I have to give the OP kudos for at least asking this question and being willing to learn past assumptions. So many people don't see the whole picture, only how and when it affects them personally.

My husband also mentioned that delivery guys are not given breaks...by law, they are not required to take any breaks. Some nights all they do is run, run, run.

No. I'm not "groaning" about anything. I'm trying to understand why the two jobs are considered equivalent. Ten minutes of someone's time to deliver my pizza, versus 30 or 45 minutes of someone's time to serve me in a restaurant.

As for my post about driving and the vehicle, it seems silly to me for someone to opt for pizza delivery if they don't have a reliable vehicle or a willingness to drive. This is NOT about the economy and what jobs are available where any given person lives. But to my mind, the person who hates heights and throws up at the idea of being more than five feet off the ground probably shouldn't apply for the job of high-rise window washer just because the job is available.

Read up ;) I had acknowledged that we had cross posted and I had taken you wrong.

However, you are viewing time vs time when it's not. It's time, risks, expenses vs time.

I think $3 is ok FWIW. Unless you were ordering 10 pizzas or something. Surely you'd see that as more work than 1 or 2.

I do. And I think the guy who delivered 85 pizzas was not tipped fairly at all. But a 15% tip on that delivery would have been about $218. I realize that's a lot of pizza and probably an hour or maybe even 90 minutes of work, but is that worth $218? I guess I see paying for delivery based on the time involved rather than a percentage of the order.

Read up ;) I had acknowledged that we had cross posted and I had taken you wrong.

However, you are viewing time vs time when it's not. It's time, risks, expenses vs time.

Then it's comparing time/risks/expenses verses time/work load/customer care. This is what I mean. They are not the same job.

I do. And I think the guy who delivered 85 pizzas was not tipped fairly at all. But a 15% tip on that delivery would have been about $218. I realize that's a lot of pizza and probably an hour or maybe even 90 minutes of work, but is that worth $218? I guess I see paying for delivery based on the time involved rather than a percentage of the order.

85 pizzas would take a van, a truck, or multiple vehicles. Basically, you NEED a gas guzzler just to deliver or would be taking up a good portion of time to do the back and forth or multiple deliveries to one address, where he is losing out on time and tips from other potential deliveries...so it would be taking up more resources and time...$218, sure, absolutely worth it if you are going to ask for delivery of 85 pizzas. We also don't know how far they traveled, if they were in a city or elsewhere, etc. How much would you deliver 85 pizzas for in say, bad weather, across a busy city, in your vehicle, taking up your shift, etc?