Menu

High School History  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which History curriculum would you choose for high school?

• Biblioplan
    • TRISMS
    • MFW
    • Other

We stayed with mfw in high school for oldest. been happy with it. like that it's written to student to stay on syllabus. college prep. I was glad it was more than just notgrass on its own. If you want just a history course... it would be a lot to take mfw apart, in my opinion, just for history. I like that's it's integrated approach with Bible/worldview meets history and english lit.

Have you read the suggestions for rhetoric-stage history in The Well-Trained Mind? :D

I agree with this idea (at least in principle).

Do you have several kids at different ages? If so, check out Tapestry of Grace.

However, I am a whimp so I use Tapestry which helps lay it all out for me.

As for being over whelmed once you master the format of redesigned, it is not over whelming, it is easier than having a bunch of different levels going all at once.

I love TOG for high school. I do think it is challenging, but it is also easy to trim down if needed. I find it very easy to use :001_smile: .

:iagree: We started TOG last year when my oldest started 9th grade. It's the one curriculum that the more I use it, the more I love it. :001_smile:

I agree with this idea (at least in principle).

However, I am a whimp so I use Tapestry which helps lay it all out for me.

As for being over whelmed once you master the format of redesigned, it is not over whelming, it is easier than having a bunch of different levels going all at once.

I confess to owning three out the four units of TOG year 1. I bought them when ds was in 6th grade and I find that I steal from them now for 9th grade. My curriculum nirvana would be a secular version. If I were starting down the homeschooling route now with a couple of kids in tow, I would probably do TOG, tweaking of course.

TOG. I'm not as crazy about Y1, but I understand they are revamping it. This is my 3rd year using it, and I definitely feel like it's a good program. For me, to use it, I have to ignore lots and lots of it, otherwise I get totally overwhelmed. But even using the fraction of it that I do, I feel very supported. We've been using the Y4 Rhetoric this year, and the discussion guides are fabulous. Really, it's a fantastic program. Can get very pricey though, if you buy all the books.

We have used TOG and MFW. I love the Christian books paired in MFW to incorporate worldview.

I think Tapestry is the most rigorous. If you want rigor, he's up for it, you don't need a lot of hand holding/accountability, Tapestry is awesome. I am at a stage in my life where I can't plan. Ana is a very academic kid but we wanted to focus on more and she likes heavy reading outside of planned lit. so we went with MFW this year and we have been very happy with it.

Next year she wants to do Omnibus 6.

Our second will be a freshman. He us starting in MFW AHL. Right now I plan on him doing all for years and the daughter following as well.

So... I would say there are a lot of factors....

I still have a couple of years before we get into high school, but I'm trying to plan ahead. We have been using Biblioplan for middle school, but I'm not sure if I want to repeat it for HS or go with something else. My biggest concern with BP is that dd doesn't like the companion. We don't use the companion, just the schedule and the maps. I know the companion now serves as the textbook for the HS level, so I'm wondering where we should go after we complete BP year 4.

If she doesn't like the companion and you want to use the high school tests, I would not choose BP. I've used Year 1 and Year 2 for my dd. The weekly work and all the tests are all based on the Companion. I am having dd read an additional spine and do some activities from it (Glencoe World History), and she really enjoys that textbook. She didn't want to study world history all in one year like most high school curricula, so I went with this because I did want some objective grades from testing materials. I don't feel comfortable giving a high school grade strictly from discussion and writing assignments.

I am not going to continue BP after this year. I don't want to have Year 3 delivered in pieces, and dd already used some of Hakim's books and didn't care for them at all. I'm going to have dh do a review of the rest of world history with the kids this summer (he's a history teacher). I'll have her do American history next year and Gov/Econ her last year.

I really like the idea of TRISMS. Is it pretty independent for the student? Do you have to use IEW, or is it easy to substitute your own writing curriculum?

I used my own until this year, finally caved and bought IEW.

I think I'm having an easier time using IEW with it - but part of that is just that I really like IEW now. I was very resistant (especially because of the price), but I wish I'd just caved and got it when we started the middle school program (now History Masterminds- we used it when it was still History Makers).

Truly, though, IEW is not necessary at all.

Do you want both literature and history combined? The reason I ask is because you could simply use Notgrass. If you are an IEW fan, Teaching the Classics is incredibly easy to apply to any book in the time period suggested. For suggestions check outThe Well Trained Mind.