Menu

Lenscrafters - yuck

Bang!Zoom!

Unfortunately almost all the eyeglass places are owned by the same company. It's freakish.

I will give them credit for one thing. My husband got glasses from them, the lens never sat right in the frame, and he went there several times about it, and then it popped out while out of the country, in an area that had no optical shops, and he had to go about a day and a half with no glasses. I wrote them a letter telling them just what I thought about them, and they called and said to come in to the store and pick up a check. Granted, they tried to roll it over into a new pair of glasses, but they did refund it.

We've used both private practices and Lenscrafters. Didn't really see a huge difference in quality, except for my one son, who has special eye issues, beyond sight. Insurance coverage made Lenscrafters cheaper than the private option. We've never had an issue with follow ups, but they don't make appointments for it. You just go in when you're free. I've never waited more than 10-15 minutes for help (usually not that long).

I have to say, I have only ever gotten decent eyeglasses there. I tried really hard to go to a couple of local places, and had various issues. Peeling lenses, glasses that didn't fit, etc. I really tried hard not to, but I just always end up at Lenscrafters. I would much rather support a local company, but I also need to see :laugh: .

The last time I used them I wandered the mall, bored out of my wits, for the full hour while my specs were made. Then when I went in to pick them up they made me guess how fast they had been made. I guessed "an hour" since that is what they had advertised and that is what I thought I had to wait. "No! 35 minutes!" they chortled gleefully. Fine. Great. I could have come back almost a half-hour sooner but you didn't tell me that! I'm supposed to be happy that I wasted my time waiting for glasses that were already done?

Plus I have had to go back more than once for myself or a kid to have glasses remade - I have had far better results using the folks at the local Walmart.

I got mad at Lenscrafters when I asked for my pupillary distance, which they had just taken, and they refused to give it to me. I let them finish making up the pair of glasses that I had already ordered, but I ended up returning them for a full refund. It just doesn't sit right with me that they would have information about me that they would refuse to disclose to me!

I got mad at Lenscrafters when I asked for my pupillary distance, which they had just taken, and they refused to give it to me. I let them finish making up the pair of glasses that I had already ordered, but I ended up returning them for a full refund. It just doesn't sit right with me that they would have information about me that they would refuse to disclose to me!

I actually talked to them about this when I was in the last time. They know people will take that number and go buy glasses off of the internet, which is not fair. I definitely understand their point. Why else would someone want to know her pupillary distance? It doesn't sit right with them that you would ask them to provide a service for free that you will then use to buy a competitor's product.

We have never had anything but good experiences with our local Lenscrafters, and everyone in my family wears glasses. They have repaired (for free) many broken or not-quite-right frames for my kids, two of whom are hard to fit. I am sure there are bad Lenscrafters out there, but I like ours.

Terri

I actually talked to them about this when I was in the last time. They know people will take that number and go buy glasses off of the internet, which is not fair. I definitely understand their point. Why else would someone want to know her pupillary distance? It doesn't sit right with them that you would ask them to provide a service for free that you will then use to buy a competitor's product.

This is something the eye doctor should give you. The eye doctor isn't giving it when they are affiliated with LC. So, I disagree. Plus, we did go ahead and buy glasses there. I should be able to buy a cheap back-up pair online, especially for sports and camping and such. These are often kids we are talking about. My dd's back-up pair cost under $20 *with shipping*.

We have never had anything but good experiences with our local Lenscrafters, and everyone in my family wears glasses. They have repaired (for free) many broken or not-quite-right frames for my kids, two of whom are hard to fit. I am sure there are bad Lenscrafters out there, but I like ours.

We got dd's glasses at Lenscrafters. The glasses were fine, but were about 3 times as much as my last pair from my eye doctor (who isn't at LC, but had no appointments when we needed to get dd in). Mind you, my Rx is stronger and more complicated than dd's.

Guest inoubliable

http://www.zennioptical.com/media/Zenni-Optical-PD-Ruler.pdf

You can figure that out for yourself if they refuse to give it to you. ;)

But was this from an exam? They cannot deny you medical information. That doesn't sound right.

I buy my glasses online but I don't use their eye doctors so I haven't had that experience.

What I do is I go to a regular eye Dr and use my insurance to buy contacts. Then I take my information and buy my glasses online, everyone benefits. :lol:

We used to go to America's Best but they always did superquick eye exams and

the glasses were never good--always a little hard to see.

We switched to Lenscrafters for DC. The eye exams were great (it's a separate

eye doctor but he shares their space). The customer service at Lenscrafters

with a cranky lady for 3 years was indeed yuck. But the glasses were good.

The cranky lady kept acting like she was doing us a huge favor by replacing the glasses

when they got damaged *when we had paid the plan that protects the glasses* -- we had

paid extra to be able to get them replaced. She also would say on the phone what glasses

would cost and then when we came into the store it was over $100 more--she did this

more than once. It was not pleasant. I heard her being mean to other people too who would

come in with the advertised coupons. I heard the people saying "That's not what is advertised"

and her being mean back.

Last time we went, she was not there. I don't know if she was on vacation or if she is gone

for good. We had good service this last time. Also good eye exam and the glasses are good.

So...crossing my fingers that the mean Lenscrafters lady doesn't come back!

Does Lenscrafters give free eye exams? If so, I can understand why buying glasses there would be a condition of receiving a free exam. Otherwise, I'm paying (or indirectly paying through insurance) the eye doctor for a service just like any other doctor, and it should be up to me to decide where to fill a prescription.

Does Lenscrafters give free eye exams? If so, I can understand why buying glasses there would be a condition of receiving a free exam. Otherwise, I'm paying (or indirectly paying through insurance) the eye doctor for a service just like any other doctor, and it should be up to me to decide where to fill a prescription.

Nope, no free eye exam. They have an eye doctor next door who charges you/your insurance like normal.

But was this from an exam? They cannot deny you medical information. That doesn't sound right.

I buy my glasses online but I don't use their eye doctors so I haven't had that experience.

What I do is I go to a regular eye Dr and use my insurance to buy contacts. Then I take my information and buy my glasses online, everyone benefits. :lol:

If it was done by the LensCrafters employee, it is not medical. They are not licensed anything. If it was done by the optometrist, then that is another story.

Terri

Lc makes the glasses. They do not give exams. They have no obligation to turn over the measurements they take to make your glasses.

Terri

If it was done by the LensCrafters employee, it is not medical. They are not licensed anything. If it was done by the optometrist, then that is another story.

Terri

Optometrists usually write that on the RX (you'll notice there is space for it on the scrip). those attached to LensCrafters type places do not write it on your RX so that you cannot order online (you can do it yourself, but that is tricky for people with astigmatism or such, it needs to be right).

I don't think it's asking them to provide a service for free when you're ordering a $600 pair of glasses from them--which I was when I asked.

I don't think it's asking them to provide a service for free when you're ordering a $600 pair of glasses from them--which I was when I asked.

The glasses you returned for a full refund?

If the optometrist should give you this number, get it from the optometrist. I do not see getting all huffy about LC's not giving it to you for free.

Terri

If the optometrist should give you this number, get it from the optometrist. I do not see getting all huffy about LC's not giving it to you for free.

Terri

But she would have kept the glasses if they'd given her the PD. Their loss.

I have never heard anything good about Lencrafters or other glasses chains. I've had friends who had to go back multiple times to get their glasses right, or LC just flat out refused to make them right even when my friends' eye dr confirmed they didn't match the prescription. We pay premium prices to go to independent stores, but we get high quality glasses that match our prescriptions. My opthamalogist will check my glasses to make sure the prescription is right, and so far, it always has been.

Terri

What you quoted from me quite clearly states that when I requested the PD, I was ordering glasses. If you like LensCrafters, that's great, but I'm not sure why you feel the need to insinuate that I was doing something unethical by asking for a measurement and later returning the glasses.