Menu

Concussion in child--upset

sbgrace

Updating:

I started another thread to ask if people might pray. My son has gotten worse (persistent/frequent vomiting, facial twitching, dizzy).

He is being sent from the pediatrician's to the hospital for a head CT. The pediatrician said the symptoms are still consistent with a severe concussion. The CT is precautionary/to rule out more serious trauma. She still believes it's concussion and had my husband call to tell me he's lucid (can answer questions) and stable. My mother is with my husband and son. I would really appreciate any thoughts/ prayers. This is really upsetting/scary for me.

===== older post follows:

It looks like my 8 year old has a concussion. He and his brother were happily and actively playing (inside-but we have hard/wood flooring). I could hear them running/laughing/pretending. His brother, being "Mr. Claw", pushed him down and he hit his head on the ground. I heard the hit as it was loud. I didn't hear the usual crying after something like that and came in from the kitchen. My son, on the ground, asked what happened to him and then complained of vision changes. He couldn't remember anything about their play previous to the push or the push/hit. The last thing he remembers was playing Lego with his brother earlier.

The vision issues settled down after about 20 minutes but then he threw up twice and he's sleeping on the couch.

The pediatrician's office said they couldn't do anything for a concussion and not to come in unless he threw up again, began acting strange, or had vision changes come back. The nurse said he could sleep.

I'm really upset. There has been all that stuff in the news about head injuries in sports, my boys are just really rambunctious--how do I not worry someone will get more seriously injured with their play? How do I keep an 8 year old boy with a spectrum/ADHD brother from getting another hit to the head for two weeks?

His head hurts. The nurse said I could do tylenol or ibuprofen but I'm afraid to do that in case there is a more serious injury not apparent? They really didn't feel they needed to see him.

Help me feel better or tell me what to do or something please!

I think you should bring him in. Just my opinion, but if you are anything like me, you won't be able to relax till you know for sure. Does he throw up easily? Neither of my boys have ever thrown up after hitting their head. That would worry me. Keep us updated. :grouphug:

Take him to the ER.

My 7 month old launched from a bed onto the hardwoods and his head swelled. When I first called the pedi, they "didn't need to see him" and told me to "call back if anything got worse". I hung up... then noticed the swelling increasing and called back - insisting on an appointment. We ended up at the ER for an x-ray and CT scan. Good thing too - he had a fractured skull.

Go to the ER.

We always have kids come in for head injuries that cause them to lose consciousness (even briefly), vomit or have vision problems. You can check his pupils for reactivity with a flashlight. If they are dilated, not reacting to light, or not equal, please take him to the ER. And if you're feeling at all nervous, take him to the ER. Can you see a bulge on his head where he hit it? That's more reassuring than not seeing one, to be honest. And do you know where he hit his head? That makes a difference, too.

We had a similar thing happen--dd fell from a counter onto tile over a concrete floor head first. Though she's usually loud and over-the-top about every little thing, dd did not cry and hid in her bed. She started throwing up a little later. I called the pediatrician twice and they were not concerned. I knew I couldn't live with myself unless I got her checked out. At the ER, they did a CAT scan and all was well, but I never regretted the decision to take her in.

He's thrown up 5 times now, is lethargic, and complaining of dizziness. He at the pediatrician's office with my husband right now. I'm so worried. Make that 6 times. He just threw up in the waiting room.

I'll say a prayer right now. Hang in there! :grouphug:

I know it's scary, but he's being taken care of.