Menu

Alternative to strapless bra

sheryl

Good Morning, My dd has been invited to an event, this coming July, where she will wear a formal floor length dress. The dress is beautiful and very modest in style (not a V-neck, slits, etc). She will be 14 and "developed" of course. The dress does have spaghetti straps. She will need a strapless bra, but I don't want to spend any more money on this. She already had nice shoes which were purchased for her recently - these are her church shoes. She has hose and earrings/necklace. We really didn't need to make many purchases b/c we have most of the accessories, but we did buy the dress. And, we'll buy a gift for her friend's Bat Mitzvah. Question: Because I don't want to spend anymore money - is there an alternative to "buying" a strapless bra? What alternative is there????? Ideas??????

The alternative to a strapless bra is to go braless. It doesn't sound like that's what you have in mind, though. Perhaps I'm not understanding the question.

You could easily find something in the $15-20 range-- and maybe cheaper-- for a strapless bra at Walmart. That's where I buy my bras. It's highly likely that she'd use it again as a bridesmaid, prom, or even with a sundress in the summer. As a pp said, some have detachable straps. I have one like that (purchased by accident because it looked like the kind I had already tried on and I wanted more than one.) I don't like it as much as my other bras, but I do use it that way.

Guest inoubliable

There really aren't any alternatives. Not unless, as a PP mentioned, your DD is developed enough and the dress is stiff enough that she can get away with no bra at all. That's a little dicey, though. You may end up with a wardrobe malfunction.

Don't rely on the dress's being tight and stiff enough to go without. If it is tight enough at the beginning of the evening, it will not be by the end of the evening. I would have her spend the next few months making friends with girls who would let her borrow a strapless bra.

Terri

Well I know you don't want to buy anything, but they do make bras that can go from strapped to strappless. So if you buy one of those she could just continue to use it after as a bra with straps.

Ok, that sounds interesting, Didn't know about those. At least she could wear it again. I'm trying to not have to make a "once only" purchase.

Has she tried the dress on without a bra? Some formal dresses are "stiff" enough that you can get away without one and no one can tell.

Right. Yes, she did try it on. It is "set" or somewhat stiff. I'll need for her to try it on again to confirm just how stiff it is. Thankfully it will be the end of July so it will be hot and muggy out - if you catch my drift. :)

The alternative to a strapless bra is to go braless. It doesn't sound like that's what you have in mind, though. Perhaps I'm not understanding the question.

You could easily find something in the $15-20 range-- and maybe cheaper-- for a strapless bra at Walmart. That's where I buy my bras. It's highly likely that she'd use it again as a bridesmaid, prom, or even with a sundress in the summer. As a pp said, some have detachable straps. I have one like that (purchased by accident because it looked like the kind I had already tried on and I wanted more than one.) I don't like it as much as my other bras, but I do use it that way.

You understood the question. My point is - I'm trying to not have to buy such and thus. As I mentioned, we have everything else. The dress was almost nothing thanks to consignment stores. And, the gift itself which is where I'd rather put the money.

A proper fitting bra is very important in a strapless gown. Even more so at 14.

Starr, I agree with this. It's not a snug dress so I "may" be able to get by with no bra. Still, I'd rather she wear an undergarment.

Really, buying a strapless (or convertible) bra is about the cheapest way to handle it. Wal-Mart has some that would be fine for a single night for around $10.

What alternatives were you thinking might be out there? I don't think there is any place that rents undergarments.

see above renting undies - hum, maybe a new business venture here... :) thanks to you for the idea

There really aren't any alternatives. Not unless, as a PP mentioned, your DD is developed enough and the dress is stiff enough that she can get away with no bra at all. That's a little dicey, though. You may end up with a wardrobe malfunction.

Actually if she filled up the dress she may show exposure if a chill runs up her back...... :) As mentioned it will be mid-summer so she may not "show" in that area.

I do remember once a friend using a special kind of tape? (It wasn't duct-tape :laugh: )

This is what I was thinking. I heard someone doing this in college. OR, I was actually thinking about sewing a "thin liner" as cups only. Would that work?

You can get double-sided fashion tape to help prevent wardrobe malfunctions, but it is no cheaper than a cheap strapless bra.

Other than that, I may borrow one from a friend who is not much bigger than my dd.

Don't rely on the dress's being tight and stiff enough to go without. If it is tight enough at the beginning of the evening, it will not be by the end of the evening. I would have her spend the next few months making friends with girls who would let her borrow a strapless bra.

Terri

Hey Terri, yes. Your reply came in as I was replying. You and I said the same thing. I'm going to ask around to see who might have one that "may" fit her. THANKS.

This probably won;t help the OP, but I'll mention it here in case it helps anyone else int he future:

I have a DD who is short, so long formal dresses need to be hemmed. LOL, I spent $5 on a formal gown at the thrift store and $25 to get it hemmed- I can sew- but not well enough for a gown liek that. $30 was still a fabulous deal. Anyway- I had my seamstress use the hem fabric to make straps for the dress that lined up with her regular bra. I have also found satin ribbon that matched the dress and added our own straps.

But mostly- a strapless bra. If it has spaghetti straps, try a convertible bra that also has clear straps. Sometimes the clear straps are shiny and obvious, sometimes they just blend in.

This probably won;t help the OP, but I'll mention it here in case it helps anyone else int he future:

I have a DD who is short, so long formal dresses need to be hemmed. LOL, I spent $5 on a formal gown at the thrift store and $25 to get it hemmed- I can sew- but not well enough for a gown liek that. $30 was still a fabulous deal. Anyway- I had my seamstress use the hem fabric to make straps for the dress that lined up with her regular bra. I have also found satin ribbon that matched the dress and added our own straps.

But mostly- a strapless bra. If it has spaghetti straps, try a convertible bra that also has clear straps. Sometimes the clear straps are shiny and obvious, sometimes they just blend in.

wow, that is creative. didn't think of that. thanks to you and everyone for ideas. must consider them all and determine best plan. good ideas - thanks all.

I used to have these sucker cup thngs for strapless bra needs and honestly I loved them!! They were like jelly type stuff and they suckered on to your chest and they were so comfy! I used to wear them with backless shirts and such.

equally creative....thanks. more ideas - yippee!

Well - here is something I've seen but haven't tried personally....

There are decorative "straps" for sale (I know I've seen them at JoAnn Fabrics) that you attach to a normal convertible bra that fits well.

You'd have to have a bra with removable straps and those little loops of fabric on them.

Here's a website with a lot of good options - or just pictures so you can see what I'm talking about:

http://www.strappys.com/collections/jewelry-straps

I used to have these sucker cup thngs for strapless bra needs and honestly I loved them!! They were like jelly type stuff and they suckered on to your chest and they were so comfy! I used to wear them with backless shirts and such.

I have these for some ball gowns, but they are way more expensive than a strapless/convertible bra. I don't see a strapless bra as a one-time-wear thing, I see it as a basic wardrobe item for summer dresses/tops.

I agree with Mrs. Mungo= those stand alone things are more expensive than a strapless bra. But while I know money must be tight, $10 or so over five months, if you want to buy it in June, only equates to about 50 cents a week or $2 a month. I guess my girls live a different life because they have used the strapless bras they have with some sundresses, just because of the way they were cut. Each of them has used it more than once, and presumably will use them more in future years. Yes, it isn;t a purchase that you use every day but it can last for years. The regular bras we buy have to be replaced every year or two anyway so strapless just last longer.

Sheryl, what would make your daughter most comfortable? Girls at that age can often be self-conscious about their development/appearance. I wouldn't let $10 stand in the way of my dd feeling appropriately "supported", kwim?

I imagine my own daughter would prefer that I spend a few bucks on suitable fabric to add wider straps, but that a secure fitting strapless undergarment would run a close second. Sounds like you have time to figure out an option that the wearer of the dress will find comfortable.

Our thrift store carries bras for a couple of dollars a piece. For something you are looking to only use a few times, it would be worth looking there to see if they had something in her size.

BTW - DD19 recommends the convertible bras if you end up buying one. She has several that she wears with and without straps depending on what outfit she has. One good fitting convertiible bra that does double duty for everyday wear might be a bit less painful for your budget if used or clearance doesn't pan out.