Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Bible Believing Conservative Christians

caroljenn

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Sabbatical Update to share--lol--I hope it isn't tiresome to hear of our plans to spend time in the Holy Land this summer on my dh's sabbatical.

I have been anxious about housing. Today we hear of a place called Tantur, run by Notre Dame University. It sounds wonderful! Dh just applied for an apartment. We'll see!

I know God has us in his palm--may you feel his Care today and tomorrow.

Jean, I pray you have managed to safely get through church.

Eaglei, great to hear you made it to work last week. I have prayed for your husband and family.

Chris, that sounds extremely exciting. I pray the housing will be sorted quickly. God has an amazing way of making it all work out.

I've been a bit quiet. It has been a busy time. I am just starting an online course in mathematics, but also making conscious efforts to spend time in the Word. God has really been showing me things in multiple places and ways. I'm getting His message loud and clear.

Hi everyone. God is gracious. I was able to get to church, to take care of my small part of things so that the service would run smoothly. I then came home with my son. Some people very graciously offered to have my daughter (who is not sick) stay for church and spend the day with them. That has been a wonderful grace gift because having an Energizer Bunny around when you are ill and need to sleep off and on is not relaxing! I am very tired but am able to get up and do some things in short bursts.

Eaglei, I'm glad that you were able to work because I know how much you need the money. I hope you and your family continue to recover.

Chris! I am not tired of hearing of your sabbatical plans. Perhaps a little bit jealous though. . . :D

BigBirdMama, I am on a much less intellectually taxing "Burn Notice" kick on Netflix. Tell us what you think of the mini series.

Molly, I'm glad that God is speaking to you through His Word.

I have a Sabbatical Update to share--lol--I hope it isn't tiresome to hear of our plans to spend time in the Holy Land this summer on my dh's sabbatical.

I have been anxious about housing. Today we hear of a place called Tantur, run by Notre Dame University. It sounds wonderful! Dh just applied for an apartment. We'll see!

I know God has us in his palm--may you feel his Care today and tomorrow.

Have you heard about Yad8? What a fantastic opporunity for you all !!

Jean- I'm glad your day went o.k.

Jean, I hope today is better for you.

I saw The Master last night on dvd. It's a movie that shows the beginnings of a cult, most agree it's really about Scientology. While not family friendly AT ALL, the performances by Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman were excellent, and it was quite interesting. As a film, it was gorgeous--ds film student wanted us to see it mainly for the dialog, the cinematography and the characters--the plot, maybe not so much. I have a hard time with R movies sometimes, because of the...well, the reasons they are rated R, but I love movies and appreciate the art form. (We watched Days of Heaven (T. Malick) and I could've just turned off the volume and watched the film silently and would've been equally blown away by the sheer beauty of it.) The Master was interesting b/c it showed how hungry people are for spiritual healing, experiences, explanations, etc., and how easy it would be to fall into an unhealthy religion because of the need for those things.

Anyway, I know I'm a lot less conservative than some of you on here when it comes to film, and I respect very much your views, I just wanted to share about my experience.

Is anyone planning on watching The Bible tonight? It's a mini series on the History Channel and it's *supposed* to be a pretty accurate account. We're going to DVR it and check it out. If it's any good we're going to let the kids watch it too.

We have the first episode on our DVR, but won't have time to actually watch it for a bit - esp since it's 2 hours. Has anyone seen it to comment?

We don't actually watch much TV and we tape everything except the daily news in the morning. White Collar and Burn Notice are our two favorite current shows. I also like travel shows when they are focusing on the travel and not on the food or bathrooms of resorts...

My Dh and I liked it. Obviously, production values were lower than a blockbuster movie, but they did are really good job with the relationships and interactions. There was one use of the word "whore" if that would be an issue for your kids and there was quite a bit of violence. The Angels in the Sodom scene were much less halos and wings and far more avenging anger We're planning on letting our 7 and 4 year old watch it later this week with lots of pausing to discuss. The scene with Abraham and Issac was heart wrenching and I can see a lot of explanation about the whys on that story. . They stayed very true to the Bible though unfortunately they had to cut of HUGE amounts of material to fit it n 5 hours.

Is anyone planning on watching The Bible tonight? It's a mini series on the History Channel and it's *supposed* to be a pretty accurate account. We're going to DVR it and check it out. If it's any good we're going to let the kids watch it too.

I would love to watch this. We don't have the History Channel. Do you know if it's available online?

Shannon, I want to be sure you know about the Calvinist social group here. It's called "The Dark Side for Reformed Christians." I am a member of both groups because I see Conservative Christianity as a big umbrella under which both Arminianism (free will only) and Calvinism (major on predestination) live. To be honest, both concepts are found in the Bible I believe. The word predestination is certainly found there as is the concept of man making decisions for which he is held responsible.

I see Conservative Christianity as a big umbrella under which both Arminianism (free will only) and Calvinism (major on predestination) live. To be honest, both concepts are found in the Bible I believe. The word predestination is certainly found there as is the concept of man making decisions for which he is held responsible.

:iagree: I believe both happen (different situations for each) since both are in the Bible. It's part of why I don't really align totally with the more "strict" followers of either camp. I like having a big umbrella - and sometimes admitting we're using our best "guess" or "thoughts" vs truly "knowing it all." God is clear on things that really seem to matter - and ambiguous in areas He wants us to ponder and talk about (my opinion, obviously). Both keep us focused on Him.

I actually enjoy conversations with folks who don't believe exactly as I do, but also don't mind pondering right along with me - not trying for "conversion" on either of our ends. In my beliefs, if it's in the Bible, it's true, it happens/matters, and while we might not know why, there's a reason for it. God sets the rules. The Creator has that right.

God even tells us in regards to some of the gray areas that "Whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But the man who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin." (Romans 14: 22, 23, but the whole chapter sets the context.)

If God wants us to change our beliefs/ways, etc, it's He who will nudge us. He might use people to plant seeds, but people don't change anyone. We're to accept each other as we are with gray areas. With salvation issues? Not so much. ;)

Creekland, that is such a timely perspective. I have been in a little emotional distress today as a person from our congregation chose to tangle with my husband (her pastor) on Facebook. The tone is accusatory and hurtful. I would love to leap to his defense (or, honestly, tell her to back off...), but I am going to follow the "whatever you believe about these things..." line.

Thanks!

Hi everyone. I think this is the place where I belong. I'm not sure what "conservative Christian" means, but I do agree with the opening post statements. We are a family currently living in Canada, but will soon be living in Asia as missionaries.

May my family visit you when you are in Asia? We are going there in two weeks!!!

Hi everyone. I haven't been on the computer much in the last few weeks. Today is the first anniversary of my only sister's death. We were very close, and I have felt such a burden hanging over me this last month. It has been hard to do anything.

My sister was a Christian, and I have the assurance of seeing her again, but it is still very difficult. If you have a chance, please pray for me and my family.

I have been praying for all of you, and I hope you are all doing well. :grouphug:

Creekland, that is such a timely perspective. I have been in a little emotional distress today as a person from our congregation chose to tangle with my husband (her pastor) on Facebook. The tone is accusatory and hurtful. I would love to leap to his defense (or, honestly, tell her to back off...), but I am going to follow the "whatever you believe about these things..." line.

Thanks!

I'll keep her (and the situation) in prayer. It's really, really tough as humans to not want everyone to agree with us 100% (even with our favorite foods or such things). We align with a person/friend/pastor/church or whatever, and therefore think we are similar, so should have similar beliefs. We forget that God made us different for a reason.

At school I've even seen well-intentioned parents want junior to follow in their footsteps with schooling choices and careers. Junior wasn't always created the same way with talents or likes. Too many parents take that as a personal insult and wonder what's wrong with junior. It's not just church/Bible beliefs. No matter where it happens, it's sad and it's difficult, as humans, to truly master this correct form of "tolerance." What was true in Paul's day is still true now.

Hi everyone. I haven't been on the computer much in the last few weeks. Today is the first anniversary of my only sister's death. We were very close, and I have felt such a burden hanging over me this last month. It has been hard to do anything.

My sister was a Christian, and I have the assurance of seeing her again, but it is still very difficult. If you have a chance, please pray for me and my family.

:grouphug: Praying for you and offering virtual hugs. <<<>>>

Well, Dh heard back from Tantur--all filled up. BUT the Rector there (head of the place) said he'll keep his eye out for a place for us. I know God has a plan and a provision for us. Juuuusssstttt waaaiiittting is ...hard! lol!!

I am learning to be less controlling, and to balance problem-solving with resting in Him and allowing HIM to solve things.

So--What are YOU learning lately? :-)

(BTW, just want to say I am loving this social group.)

I'm learning patience. I'm on my third teenager and I'm still learning patience... I even work in our public high school with tons of teens, but I'm still learning patience... I wish I could master it. (sigh)

LOL--it's been my experience that the best way to learn patience is to be in need of it. I hate to pray for patience, b/c I know that God will send me reasons to use it! :001_rolleyes: :D

Shannon, I want to be sure you know about the Calvinist social group here. It's called "The Dark Side for Reformed Christians." I am a member of both groups because I see Conservative Christianity as a big umbrella under which both Arminianism (free will only) and Calvinism (major on predestination) live. To be honest, both concepts are found in the Bible I believe. The word predestination is certainly found there as is the concept of man making decisions for which he is held responsible.

This is one I go back and forth on myself. Is it a total cop-out to say I believe both? I believe that God knows exactly what we're going to do and set it all in motion and designed it to happen and at the same time we have free-will and are making our own choices. God being outside of time and seeing the all of everything happening completely in His "present."

I can agree with each camp's point-of-view. I just can't declare myself either/or.

I actually feel that there are different events in each of our lives that are predestined or free choice. The events, themselves, tend to be predestined with exceptions of those that are due to our choices (we choose to step off a bridge, we fall and get injured/killed). What we do about them tends to be free choice with exceptions for certain choices - like Pharoah's where it blatently says that God hardened his heart. When we have nudges that are in line with Biblical teaching they come from either the angels or the Spirit. When we have nudges not in line with Biblical teaching they come from demons (yes, I believe in them, if angels exist in our lives, so do demons) or our sinful nature.

My dad did not get his cancer treatment again. The nurse did not call in the correct prescription for him. My dad knew this but refused to call them to straighten it out. So even though he was on an antibiotic, it was the wrong one and he still has an infection. So the treatment is pushed back one more week. There was a problem today with the prescription not going through. Fortunately, my sister found out about it and called to straighten things out. The problem was with the pharmacy this time. But by the time she got it straightened out, it was too late for her to drive into town to get it and then deliver it to Dad. She'll do that tomorrow. I really pray that having the treatment delayed two weeks now doesn't mean that an easily treated cancer becomes not treatable.

Hi All! I'm deciding to limit my time on the wtm. I did post on the chat room a thread or two for info, but I've missed this group. I've tried to read and catch up on as many as the posts as possible....know that I have a master prayer list on my sticky note in windows 8. So, whenever one of you asks for prayer, I list your name and a short prayer phrase. CarolJenn, I'm so sorry to hear of your sister. This was so close to the anniversary of your Mother. Big hugs to you! :grouphug: Jean, man makes mistakes and God "can not". It sounds encouraging it's treatable - thanks for that update and will pray accordingly. Prayer for the plans of the enemy to fail. I know "man" made the mistake, but their are spiritual forces at work too. God is in control! Chris, sounds lovely. I saw your little video. Did you decide to not rent that place? Welcome to the newbies. It's late and can not mention each one by name, forgive me. Hope all is going well. My birthday is Saturday and dd's gift to me is for the family to attend the Projecting Hope Film Festival here, locally. These movies are free and that falls within her budget! LOL! It is the thought that counts and I'm blessed by it. We own the Ultimate Gift on dvd, but they are playing that at the festival. The director will be there b/c parts of the UG movie were shot here in Charlotte (our mayor was even in a scene!). He is directing a sequel called The Ultimate Life (perhaps it's not finished in production b/c they are not airing that). Also, a sequel to The Hiding Place called "Return to the Hiding Place", and Unconditional. We've chosen not to see October Baby - I hear it's good, but don't know enough about it. We own every other Sherwood Films movies except OB. Talk to y'all later. :grouphug: to all!

Sorry I'm not around alot. I'm trying to spread myself in a lot of different directions.

Prayers for all. Jean, I'm sorry to hear about the delays for your Dad's treatment. I am praying.

God is so teaching me how to talk to Him continually. His gifts have been immense lately, my home is considerably more peaceful than it has been. He is helping me temper my tongue.

Haven't had a lot of time online this week, so I missed this. I lurk on the other thread, but haven't posted. I think when I finally noticed it I thought it was so established I felt funny joining in. Then I saw this one right at the beginning and thought the description fit, so I'd start here. I haven't checked out the dark side thread recently. Really, I don't always fit there. We had a difficult time finding a church too, and we are contemplating looking for another place to worship, for reasons I won't go into here.

Sorry to read about the mistakes going on Jean - hopefully it does not affect the results of the treatment, but like you, I'd want it earlier rather than later.

Welcome Nova Mama!

Happy Birthday in advance, Sheryl Since colleges boys will be here on Saturday I'm not sure what time I'll have on the 'net.

Molly, how are things going? It can be tough when you're going in several different directions.

Shanvan - I hope you find a church that is truly "home."

Tomorrow we're on the road all day - rushing a trip to Rochester, NY and back in one day - fitting it in between dropping youngest off at the school bus and taking him to the SAT test Saturday morning. (He's getting a ride home from school - we aren't actually making him spend the night there!)

While I absolutely love travel, spending 12 hours in one day in a car traveling a route we've done often isn't exactly "travel" in my mind. The good thing is we're getting middle son and a friend, so the second half should be full of catching up conversation (and the first half full of anticipation). When we take him back a week later that second half will be brutal. I'm glad the weather is supposed to be decent.

Well, Dh heard back from Tantur--all filled up. BUT the Rector there (head of the place) said he'll keep his eye out for a place for us. I know God has a plan and a provision for us. Juuuusssstttt waaaiiittting is ...hard! lol!!

I am learning to be less controlling, and to balance problem-solving with resting in Him and allowing HIM to solve things.

So--What are YOU learning lately? :-)

(BTW, just want to say I am loving this social group.)

To just be quiet. Not defend, justify, explain. It's not my problem if the other person is angry,mad or outraged. Still. Still I'm learning this. Oy vey. I'm God-disabled.

Also, grace.

I have been praying for all of you, and I hope you are all doing well. :grouphug:

Here I am again! I had some bloodwork on Tuesdayto determine if I had rheumatoid arthritis or Lupus, and praise the Lord it came back clear!! Hooray!!

The bad news is all of the stress of the last couple of weeks has taken its toll and now I am sick! Sometimes you just can't win!!

Jean, I have been praying for your dad. I have unfortunately had some experience with cancer, and a treatable cancer should not become untreatable in a short two week time. The only time that short of a time period would matter would be something like pancreatic cancer, when you have a very very short time to live in the first place. I will continue praying for your family-just remember God is always in control and He knew about these delays...Hugs to you!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHERYL!! Hope you have a wonderful, blessed day!

Hope you have a great trip, Creekland! I always enjoy getting out and going anywhere (well, almost anywhere!)

Everyone else, I will be praying for all of you and our little group! =)

Can I just kvetch for a minute? 3 yrs ago our house burned, and it was a painful, slow process of getting our possessions inventoried, etc. we rebuit and our contractor bailed before the house was done, but he'd spent all the money so we've been living in a 1/2 done house working like mad men to try to finish it, my sister died, my dad died, my oldest 2 kids graduated adn went a little nuts (i.e. selfish, and religious and mean) and dh has been crucially ill since Nov....we left the church we were in for 5 yrs because I felt so very bruised not really from them, but kind of beat on from God. I just couldn't take singing worship songs about "take it all, Lord" sitting next to a tanned, manicured perfect person who got in their Lexus and went out to eat while I was sorting the smoke filled remains of our life. plus the church was uber political and I just couldn't take the "their side is stoopid" remarks anymore. We home churched for 2 yrs, but since Jan we've been tentatively going to a sweet, decent, good church.

We know too much (dh and I both had seminary degrees) we are too verbal and we own too little. Dh nad I have multiple degrees and children but not enough cash flow and our cars are crap. Plus I have knee/ankle issues and can literally only wear birks, the only pair I have left looks like death warmed over so I'm always feeling self conscious about it but I limp big time w/o them. And we homeschool. Our kids are nice, wow, they know a lot but hm... kwim?

I left church today and honestly, just wanted to start bawling. We are freaks. I hate it. I'm tired of it.

Here I am again! I had some bloodwork on Tuesdayto determine if I had rheumatoid arthritis or Lupus, and praise the Lord it came back clear!! Hooray!!

The bad news is all of the stress of the last couple of weeks has taken its toll and now I am sick! Sometimes you just can't win!!

The good news definitely outweighs the bad here though I definitely hope you feel better!

We had a great trip Friday and the boys have been enjoying the farm here on the weekend (plus church on Sunday, of course). Yesterday the wild critters cooperated nicely and we saw two different species of owls (long eared and barn) and the resident pair of bald eagles (who are resident, but you don't always see them). They've also been fishing and prowling around the small section of woods we have next to a creek. It's been the type of weekend where I wonder exactly WHY we plan on selling the farm when youngest graduates... Once we start on upkeep again, I'll remember, but being on this farm has been a great place to raise boys even if we are always repairing/patching up the old farmhouse.

Today we're off to Gettysburg NP to prowl around the battlefields. Unfortunately, they turned the once-free museum into a privately run place that now costs $12.50 per person, so that's not happening, but driving the battlefield (and walking on it, etc) is still free.

I hope everyone else has a great day!

Can I just kvetch for a minute? 3 yrs ago our house burned, and it was a painful, slow process of getting our possessions inventoried, etc. we rebuit and our contractor bailed before the house was done, but he'd spent all the money so we've been living in a 1/2 done house working like mad men to try to finish it, my sister died, my dad died, my oldest 2 kids graduated adn went a little nuts (i.e. selfish, and religious and mean) and dh has been crucially ill since Nov....we left the church we were in for 5 yrs because I felt so very bruised not really from them, but kind of beat on from God. I just couldn't take singing worship songs about "take it all, Lord" sitting next to a tanned, manicured perfect person who got in their Lexus and went out to eat while I was sorting the smoke filled remains of our life. plus the church was uber political and I just couldn't take the "their side is stoopid" remarks anymore. We home churched for 2 yrs, but since Jan we've been tentatively going to a sweet, decent, good church.

We know too much (dh and I both had seminary degrees) we are too verbal and we own too little. Dh nad I have multiple degrees and children but not enough cash flow and our cars are crap. Plus I have knee/ankle issues and can literally only wear birks, the only pair I have left looks like death warmed over so I'm always feeling self conscious about it but I limp big time w/o them. And we homeschool. Our kids are nice, wow, they know a lot but hm... kwim?

I left church today and honestly, just wanted to start bawling. We are freaks. I hate it. I'm tired of it.

:grouphug: Vent away - and feel comforted that MANY God-loving people in the Bible did the same when they really didn't understand WHY (David, etc). Even Jesus prayed asking, if possible, for there to be a different way. Venting isn't wrong IMO and it doesn't mean God doesn't love you.

This is the same thing I keep telling myself as the economic downturn cut our income by 1/3rd to 1/2, tenants had to be evicted from our rental (which we almost lost if not for a major contribution from my mom - one we still need to pay back), and oldest son has decided we were awful parents and hardly ever contacts anyone from our area anymore - not us - not his friends - not his beloved youth group leader(s) or anyone. Fortunately, he's remained with God (so far), but otherwise we really feel like the prodigal's parents and remain hopeful he'll return someday - but of course, there are no guarantees. So... please don't think I'm "preaching" to you as I'm not trying to. I'm just trying to share what has worked for me.

Joseph was given a dream, then spent years in slavery and prison - the latter for choosing to do right!

David was told he'd be king, then spent years running for his life and even had a time where he had to pretend he was insane!

Moses was told to go free his people, then saw their life get worse based upon what he did, then spent years trying to lead them...

These are some of the heros that keep me going when I really don't understand why. We keep plugging along and trust that God knows what He's doing as I sure don't. I do feel I've learned quite a bit through it all, but I'm not so sure that's something we should share as God's lessons tend to be quite personal. I'm definitely different now than I was when we were flowing in the funds and all was going great.

Then, every so often, we get some good times like now with middle son. We stick to free or very inexpensive things due to our budget, but I treasure the memories.

In the meantime, you're definitely in my prayers!!! :grouphug:

Lisa, whining is "oh man, they put pickles on my burger after I asked them not to!" You have some serious, stress inducing, difficult experiences to overcome. Vent away, you have people here who love you!

:iagree: Great, great comparison!

Uggh--I have a prayer request. I need to get in a dental visit before Fri so we don't lose the funds in our health account. I am afraid of the dentist. Never used to be--I had an abusive (and I feel ok with that word) orthodontist when I was a young teen, and so going to the dentist was a piece of cake comparitively, and I never felt bad about it. But recently (well, two years ago), the dental hygenist did not listen to me and intimidated me into just doing novacaine instead of gas for a deep scaling. Terrified me to not be respected and to let myself be talked into something I didn't want. Anyway, it is a small thing, in light of Kay this morning, but could you please pray for me to get into the new practice in time and for them to be understanding, not yell at me, and get the work done? Thanks.

Joseph was given a dream, then spent years in slavery and prison - the latter for choosing to do right!

David was told he'd be king, then spent years running for his life and even had a time where he had to pretend he was insane!

Moses was told to go free his people, then saw their life get worse based upon what he did, then spent years trying to lead them...

These are great things to dwell on today, and what I needed to hear. Thank you -- praying for this group!

Thank you for the wise words, comfort and love. God is pushing us (dh and I) to KNOW his love even when the circumstances are rotten to the core. I'm slowly getting it.

Caroljean- so glad for the good doc report- praying you feel well today. And Creekland- sounds like our kids are walking the same path- praying for comfort for you.

Did you read the thread about Kalanamak? perspective. praying for her and her family today.

I will be praying for you Chris. Dh is going to the dentist for the first time in 25 years today - not expecting good results from that!!

As for me, I am now on antibiotics for my sinus infection. Ugh. Still praying for all of you and our little group. =)

Here's my verse for the day:

Ephesians 4:29-32 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.