Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Bible Believing Conservative Christians

caroljenn

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're conservative, Bible believing Protestants but every year I find myself looking forward to Lent. I know it's a Catholic observance, but taking a period of time to reflect on Jesus' sacrifice and really prepare spiritually for Easter has always been important to me.

This year in addition to my daily Scripture study, I'm going to try to memorize at least part of the book of James.

I can't be the only Protestant who does this. Does anyone else have any plans?

I found this devotional that I am going to go through during Lent. I also plan to give up these forums, FB, and another forum that I frequent during the 40 days. Now, I don't believe that you have to give anything up for Lent, but I do feel that by doing this, I will have a lot more time to devote to quiet time with God.

I would like something fun to do with my kids. Any suggestions? They are 8 and 5.

Jumping in, although I'm not sure how active I'll be.

Your opening statement reminds me that our church is currently looking to revise our Confession of Faith. The one we're looking to adopt (with only a slight modification) is this one: http://thegospelcoalition.org/about/foundation-documents/confessional/

We are studying through the Confession. I am really enjoying digging in!

:laugh: Me too!!! I was going to memorize the book of Colossians this past year along with doing the Kay Arthur precept on Colossians. I did the Kay Arthur precept and got halfway through memorizing Colossians then got sidetracked. I need to get back to it. God taught me so much through studying and memorizing Colossians!!! I started making some great plans to memorize more of the epistles while studying them simultaneously, using Kay Arthur for the study. I think I need to just do one at a time and quit all my grand planning!! :smilielol5:

About the James Kay Arthur study for kids, my 3rd grader did it last semester and really liked it. We are going to move on and do another one. I did one on John for my older ones when they were kids, and it was very good. I did it along with them and learned so much!

I love Beth Moore too, and would really love to do her James study!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Colossians. A few of those chapters might be what we memorize next. We're still stuck on Romans 12.

Pray for a student who was in my "reading" period earlier today. He asked for a pass to go to the library to exchange books (common request) and instead, went outside and used drugs. He's in the hospital now as I type. There's nothing I could have foreseen to have prevented this (I don't ask kids if they REALLY are going to the library or plan to go do drugs) and they found him within 15 minutes and got him to the nurse --> hospital, but it's still frustrating that I couldn't prevent it. The lad and I had a decent teacher/student relationship (or so I thought). I really wish teens could reason better... but in the meantime, say a prayer for him. He doesn't even pretend to be a believer, and of course, this is public school, so I can't share anything, but still...

Creekland, Saying a prayer now. To All, I am not as active as when the group first started. I decided to "unfollow" ONLY b/c I was getting a lot of emails and that's time consuming for me to delete. Additionally, I'm not budgeting my time well in other areas, Please know that I'll check in often and hope to find all prayer requests mentioned - I add them directly into my stickey notes thanks to windows 8! Then they are always visible until I minimize. When time permits I'll join in and talk; ask questions, etc. Blessings to all! See y'all soon on this group!!!

I'm praying. It must be extra hard with him leaving your class and all.

It does make it harder because I feel responsible for the kids in my class. He played "the game" well. He knew the right things to say to fool me and even had a book in his hand that he was supposedly going to exchange at the library. I've been totally "cleared" as I followed policy with giving him a timed pass, etc, and our school doesn't expect us to be able to read minds, but it still bugs me.

The scuttlebutt going around says he was using legal drugs - legal as in synthetic - not yet made "illegal" in our state. I've yet to hear any update as to his health - or any official word as to what drug. I probably won't find out until tomorrow or Thursday. I do know he's out of school for 10 days (suspension) and won't be getting any passes thereafter, so I assume they're planning on him being ok.

Just wanted to say some of us Protestants do indeed celebrate Lent. :D

Oh indeed! Yes, I know! I was just saying that while the resource I was sharing wasn't protestant (as was the request), hopefully that's okay since Lent predates protestanism anyway. It's okay to use more historical resources if one wants to, since the very being of Lent is a gift from a church that came before there were any schisms. I'm probably muddling it more, hopefully I made some sense.

Our church is hosting a well-known recording artist. He will be the entertainment for a Valentine's Day dinner this TH. We are getting to see Marty Goetz "again"! Woo Hoo!!!! We've seen him once or twice before at our church where he visits from time to time. Not a lent reply, but wanted to share. For those of you who don't know MG, he is a Jewish "believer/follower" in Yeshua!

Ok ladies I'm planning to cut my internet time way back for Lent so I won't be here much for awhile. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who was praying for me. I did go to the Dr. today and he is running a culture and I'm waiting on some blood work. Really hoping to actually find something out this time. I hope you are all having a blessed week.

Still praying for all of you, including you Creekland and the young boy, and Jean's dad.

If I could get some prayers today, that would be great- I have had 4 ocular migraines in the last 5 days, and they are awful. I have a lot to do today, so I need to stay headache-free.

Thanks everyone!

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom." Isaiah 40:28

We had our new insulation installed today which is going to be a great blessing. We are just so thankful that God led us to the right place to get it done for the right price.

God is just really blessing me personally though, with some great teaching and a clearer path on how to follow Him in my daily life.

Ann Voskamp is a Protestant, evangelical Christian and she has lots of thoughts about Lent. You can find her at aholyexperience.com (author of A Child's Geography, etc.) I like Ann a lot. She appeals to the cerebral old soul inside me. I've not observed Lent yet, but her blog posts last year about her journey with Lent have me paying more attention to the Lenten season and being more intentional about preparing for Good Friday and Easter. Anything which makes much of the cross is worth pursuing, IMO.

Just as an update... The student is supposedly fine health-wise although he is out of school (suspended) for 10 days because of the incident. I've no doubt he's loving the mandatory break.

Overall, it's really frustrating to see young lives wasted by their choices.

Personally, I took Wed and Thurs off from school. Wed I cleaned our chicken coop thoroughly - it felt good to be out doing "regular" work. Yesterday hubby and I took Valentine's Day off just to be with each other. We fixed a big breakfast and went to Chick Fil A for a late lunch including milkshakes. Then we did a bit of mall walking, then road walking around our farm to pretend to account for the excess calories. The talking and being with each other time was really nice. (I'm a time person with love languages.) We were so full we skipped supper!

Today I feel a bit recharged and we're back to our normally scheduled programming. I definitely don't mind that tomorrow is Saturday though!

I hope everyone can get some recharge time when needed. It's definitely worth the break.

I just wanted to thank those who prayed re the situation I alluded to in Bethany's thread. It's over.

Pls pray for the one who did not want it to happen. Thanks so much.

It's funny, because just a few weeks ago, I asked a friend to pray that my heart become less tender, just so I could function. I had no idea how much I would need that prayer answered. I have been ok.

God is good, all the time. He gives, and he takes away. Blessed be His Name.

I have recently "come back" to these boards and just this morning found this group. I am a Believer in The Lord Jesus Christ...the Bible is the inerrant Word of God...God is three in one...i agree with all that CarolJenn said in her first post. I was saved in 1991. It has been a journey!

I am currently in the book of Romans. Awesome. I get through a chapter more or less each day.

May His grace and peace be with you all today!

I'd appreciate continued prayers about my dad. I am so frustrated and angry. He is going to kill himself through absolute stupidity. He's now calling all the doctors quacks and is saying that he doesn't think he even has cancer. But he's feeling worse. (This isn't about death per se - when it's the right time I will be sad but at peace, I think.)

So does your sister understand what the results mean? I will be praying he gains understanding of it all.

My sister has permission to look at the files but hasn't done so. I know she's busy taking him to appointments etc. but someone needs to do this. She is not medically savvy either but she does discuss things with me and my husband who are more knowledgeable.

Praying Jean... I think it's tough for most people to accept bad health news. It's easier to deny it.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend! It's supposed to be cold here, so housework will probably get done plus my youngest needs to work on SAT Prep and finding colleges he's interested in to send his scores to.

I'm looking forward to spring!

My Sunday has been blissfully lazy so far. I'm still in bed. :p We went to Saturday night services, so we could take it easy today.

Our pastor is preaching through Leviticus, of all things. It's been pretty interesting, as that's one book I have a hard time reading.

Sorry, have to jump in....Marty Goetz?! You lucky!!!

Yes! One time, a few years ago, he sang a couple songs during our Sunday service! He lives in TN now and is close to us in Charlotte! Yea! He shared more of the meaning behind his songs and a little background on his wife - Jenny. She used to travel with Bob (forget last name = like, Silverspoon or something). Well, his stage name was Bob Dylan. He said she was on tour and in a hotel room picked up a Gideon Bible. PTL! She's a daughter of the King....has been since that happened decades ago. Interesting.

Jean, I'm offering this to you as food for thought (we went through this years ago). There are social workers through the hospital. I don't know if you want to "go there" (perhaps not), but if your Dad is becoming "unreasonable" you may need to act legally on his behalf: power of attoney and ALL of the health, financial, etc needs represented by them.

My Sunday has been blissfully lazy so far. I'm still in bed. :p We went to Saturday night services, so we could take it easy today.

Our pastor is preaching through Leviticus, of all things. It's been pretty interesting, as that's one book I have a hard time reading.

I went through a study on Leviticus that totally opened it up..the worship therein was amazing. I was surprised at all of its treasure...Christ is in it all! What have you found?

Jean, I'm offering this to you as food for thought (we went through this years ago). There are social workers through the hospital. I don't know if you want to "go there" (perhaps not), but if your Dad is becoming "unreasonable" you may need to act legally on his behalf: power of attoney and ALL of the health, financial, etc needs represented by them.

Thanks, Sheryl. My eldest sister has medical power of attorney. We're talking things over together.

Dawn - praying about your mother.

Praying for you Dawn.

Glad your sister has medical power of attorney Jean.

Can't wait to hear what you have got out of Leviticus, Lynnae.

Babs, I just love how the more I learn of the Old Testament, the more I see Christ and the plan of redemption God has for this world.

Well, we've had really interesting stuff being talked about in terms of eternal life. I always thought eternal life was received when we get to heaven, but scripture tells us that we have it. Amazing, very hard to get your head around but amazingly God led me to start reading a book called Intercessory Prayer by Dutch Sheets which is really helping me gain a better understanding of this and also of intercessory prayer. I am amazed and blown away that this book has been in our bookshelf for about five years and I begin reading it just when I'm learning about eternal life. God is drawing me closer and closer to him.

Oh and I have decided to memorise Colossians after the discussion in here. At the same time I am listening to sermons by John MacArthur on Colossians so gaining a greater understanding at the same time. Boy oh boy I have so much to learn but it is changing me in immense ways. I feel the joy and peace God so willingly offers us. I can not praise Him enough.

I'm back! Gosh, I have had so many ocular migraines in the last week, I ended up having to stay completely off of the computer to avoid the glare from the screen. And very little t.v. too- it was very boring!!

I hope things are going well for everyone here, I am going to read all of your posts and pray for those who need it.

Missed you guys and your encouragement! =)