Menu

Just had 15 bookcases delivered! [shelves finished 1/31!]

tearose

We got the deeper Billys for the longer back wall because we have a lot of LPs (which are just slightly too big for the standard size), so we're hoping that those bookcases will be deep enough for the oversized books.

I like the deepers ones too, I know they'd have been fine for my oversized books (since they aren't "that" big.). I wish they made the height extensions for them. Maybe they will in future.

the bookcases are looking great. It'll be cool to see them filled. are you doing bookcase lights? I thought about it, but my son protested loudly. (of course, he was doing much of the installation that required more in depth skills than just putting the things together.)

I searched some ikea hack sites, and also just did image searches for billy's and was amazed at some of the things I found. there are some very creative people out there. I like that you put the outlets into the base of the bookcases.

It didn't take DH too long to put up the extensions, but all the doors to the extensions took forever. We had just enough parts--he finished everything with exactly one screw leftover. So here's the finished product:

i-kqK7Rcf-S.jpg

i-FbsXHRT-S.jpg

These are the deeper shelves on the long wall. The extensions only come in standard depth, so DH lined them up so that the fronts would be flush with the bookcases. He also put in extra bracing under the first shelf up so that we have another row that can handle heavier books and LPs (we have more LPs than will fit in the bottom shelves along this wall, plus a ton of heavy art books).

i-q799fXS-S.jpg

Getting the books onto the shelves is going to take a while, since we want to sort what we have, cull out stuff we don't think we'll read again, and get rid of duplicates (the result of DH and I being in the same graduate program). The rough plan is fiction on the wall in the first picture, nonfiction on the long wall, and specific homeschooling stuff on the shortest wall (third picture). Also further in the future are plans for a desk/table and a nice leather couch (I'm hoping to find a sofa bed) on the fourth wall. Someone asked about bookcase lights--we didn't put any in since the room is quite bright if the can lights are turned all the way up.

Anyway, it turned out even better than we expected--we are very happy with the final result (although we are still waiting for the brown outlet covers)! I certainly recommend Billys for anyone looking to put in a lot of shelving, and we figured that we got this done for 1/5 to 1/6 of the prices we were quoted for custom-shelving.