Menu

Want to comment on pastor's criticism of homeschooling...

shanvan

Is it Troll Night or something?!

Didn't you read my signature? I am not a troll! :lol: I assume you meant the OP in that thread. I wondered too. Then again it could be my pastor who has recently taken to preaching sermons that sound very close to that post. We are looking for a new church. Dh has had enough of being called an idol worshiper and a blasphemer. I wasn't going to post about it and now I've gone and done it. Ugh! I may delete this.

*sad face*

Of COURSE I meant the OP in the other thread.

I knew that, but I couldn't resist a comment b/c of my signature.

I didn't even look to see who started the linked thread.

Shannon isn't a troll she's been here for years.

Aww, thanks for sticking up for me!

Guest inoubliable

I knew that, but I couldn't resist a comment b/c of my signature.

*sniff* Well. All right. *sniff, sniff* I hope so.

Seriously, though. I'm betting that thread gets shut down, too.

As to the topic of the post? You don't even want to know how I would react. I would probably tell the pastor that he is an idiot. Those here who know me IRL can testify to the truth of this.

And those of us who don't know you IRL would believe it, too! LOL

Srsly, I only had to see the link. Baylyblog. I've known who those guys are for years, and none of my adjectives for them are nice so I won't say them.

I will say that the #1 draw to the WTM forums, for me, is the general absence of that type of thinking in the serious conversations here. I like homeschoolers who are in it for the academics, individuality, and freedom. For many years now, WTM has been the gathering place of intelligent, diverse, and reasonable homeschoolers and I hope it always will be. If the type of thinking shared in that OP becomes the norm here, if WTM becomes just another extreme religious homeschooling hangout, the homeschooling community will have lost something precious.

And those of us who don't know you IRL would believe it, too! LOL

Srsly, I only had to see the link. Baylyblog. I've known who those guys are for years, and none of my adjectives for them are nice so I won't say them.

I will say that the #1 draw to the WTM forums, for me, is the general absence of that type of thinking in the serious conversations here. I like homeschoolers who are in it for the academics, individuality, and freedom. For many years now, WTM has been the gathering place of intelligent, diverse, and reasonable homeschoolers and I hope it always will be. If the type of thinking shared in that OP becomes the norm here, if WTM becomes just another extreme religious homeschooling hangout, the homeschooling community will have lost something precious.

And that is just it. I don't consider a conversation about whether I am "feminizing" my son because he is with most of the time to be a serious or worthwhile one. Maybe it does make me or this board intolerant in its own way, but there are loads of homeschool forums where you could discuss that. There are few where we are relatively isolated from those discussions.

B@ylyblog? Heck, I don't even have to click on the link to the K-8 board post. That one word tells me enough.

No use saying anything to that pastor.

Get. Out. Of. Dodge.

And don't look back or let 'em know where you are headed, because these are the kind of folks that will call ahead and "warn" your new church about your rebellious family.

I'll say what I said on that thread. I wish that pastors would stick to teaching the Word of God and not their own opinions.

Well, Jean, such a short post, but you've made my night. This is exactly what Dh and I have been saying. It helps to hear (er, read) someone else saying it. I know nothing about the pastor or blog linked in the other thread, but it sounded so familiar to sermons we've been hearing of late that it got to me. Anyway, thanks.

Shannon, want me to come talk to your pastor? I assure you, I have walked out on sermons for far less.

You think it's time to bring in the big guns? :lol: Well, I'm not going to say I want you to talk to him, but if you did, I don't think I'd get too upset about it.

Right now we are just trying to quietly fade away in hopes that we can minimize the things that are going to be said about our family.

I think he's an idiot and will be held accountable for such "pastoring". I feel so sad for the people who get sucked into this way of thinking. But then I think of all the damage that they themselves create on other people, both when they are in it & after they get out and it just makes me mad.

Ok, I'll risk it. What is Baylyblog?

Two pastor brothers who run a blog. They are very into submission and engage in loads of prooftexting to back up their opinions and inflated egos. Here is one of their posts on what a submissive wife should look like versus what "secular marriage" looks like.

http://baylyblog.com/blog/2008/08/i-think-you-want-wife?cid=127453610

I think they have missed large sections of The Bible, if they think women should give up their dignity, personhood and everything else for their husbands. They definitely missed the description of what it looks like to be a good wife.

Proverbs 31:10-31

10 A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman—who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.

11 The heart of her husband trusts in her confidently and relies on and believes in her securely, so that he has no lack of [honest] gain or need of [dishonest] spoil.

12 She comforts, encourages, and does him only good as long as there is life within her.

13 She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it].

14 She is like the merchant ships loaded with foodstuffs; she brings her household’s food from a far [country].

15 She rises while it is yet night and gets [spiritual] food for her household and assigns her maids their tasks.

16 She considers a [new] field before she buys or accepts it [expanding prudently and not courting neglect of her present duties by assuming other duties]; with her savings [of time and strength] she plants fruitful vines in her vineyard.

17 She girds herself with strength [spiritual, mental, and physical fitness for her God-given task] and makes her arms strong and firm.

18 She tastes and sees that her gain from work [with and for God] is good; her lamp goes not out, but it burns on continually through the night [of trouble, privation, or sorrow, warning away fear, doubt, and distrust].

19 She lays her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.

20 She opens her hand to the poor, yes, she reaches out her filled hands to the needy [whether in body, mind, or spirit].

21 She fears not the snow for her family, for all her household are doubly clothed in scarlet.

22 She makes for herself coverlets, cushions, and rugs of tapestry. Her clothing is of linen, pure and fine, and of purple [such as that of which the clothing of the priests and the hallowed cloths of the temple were made].

23 Her husband is known in the [city’s] gates, when he sits among the elders of the land.

24 She makes fine linen garments and leads others to buy them; she delivers to the merchants girdles [or sashes that free one up for service].

25 Strength and dignity are her clothing and her position is strong and secure; she rejoices over the future [the latter day or time to come, knowing that she and her family are in readiness for it]!

26 She opens her mouth in skillful and godly Wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness [giving counsel and instruction].

27 She looks well to how things go in her household, and the bread of idleness (gossip, discontent, and self-pity) she will not eat.

28 Her children rise up and call her blessed (happy, fortunate, and to be envied); and her husband boasts of and praises her, [saying],

29 [c]Many daughters have done virtuously, nobly, and well [with the strength of character that is steadfast in goodness], but you excel them all.

30 Charm and grace are deceptive, and beauty is vain [because it is not lasting], but a woman who reverently and worshipfully fears the Lord, she shall be praised!

31 Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates [of the city]!

Two pastor brothers who run a blog. They are very into submission and engage in loads of prooftexting to back up their opinions and inflated egos. Here is one of their posts on what a submissive wife should look like versus what "secular marriage" looks like.

http://baylyblog.com...e?cid=127453610

I think they have missed large sections of The Bible, if they think women should give up their dignity, personhood and everything else for their husbands. They definitely missed the description of what it looks like to be a good wife.

Proverbs 31:10-31

I was going to post the same verses. Great minds you know... :001_smile: Yes, they missed these--but if you brought them up, I'm quite certain the pastors in question would have some spin to help you 'understand' the true interpretation in keeping with their own, shall we say, interpretation.