Menu

With the flu running rampant, do you avoid going out to places with large crowds.

Teresa in MO

We are avoiding crowded places this year, to a degree. No flu shots here, for various reasons, and after our bout with flu last year, I just don't want to risk it. We still go out, but we're not going to theaters or stadiums, or any place with people packed tightly together, and I am seriously debating about attending a large, planned museum event this weekend.

Grocery stores, etc, are unavoidable so we just do our best with hand washing and hygiene.

DH works from home, unless on business travel, so our exposure is limited to the choices we make re: activities, social gatherings, errands, etc.

No. In fact, we just got home from international travel and Disney and have been to the theatre, school, church, gym, and just about every other place you can pick up germs. Bring it on!

(Famous last words, right?)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Jinx alert! Jinx alert!

Should we start praying for you now, or wait until you start showing symptoms? ;)

No. In fact, we just got home from international travel and Disney and have been to the theatre, school, church, gym, and just about every other place you can pick up germs. Bring it on!

Ooooh, crossing fingers for you. We did that last year, and I think I have PTSD from the after effects! (just kidding, not trivializing PTSD, really.)

We don't quarantine ourselves during flu season, but we've been home the last 3 weeks home while we passed around a stomach bug. The stomach bug wasn't fun, but it makes me happy to know that we've managed to avoid a few weeks of possible flu exposure.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Jinx alert! Jinx alert!

Should we start praying for you now, or wait until you start showing symptoms? ;)

I always feel so big and bad until I get sick, and then I'm all "ohhhhh!" But the only time I was really put out of commission was the time my kids gave me strep (picked up at school). No more strep, please!

Life as normal here. I marvel at how sick everyone on Facebook seems to be, but most of the time it seems to pass us by. I certainly don't feel like we get sick as often as everyone else seems to.

That said, DS5 has a birthday party to attend at Chuck E. Cheese's Sunday (cringe), we are going to the Children's Museum on Tuesday, and we are going on a field trip at the art museum on Wednesday. Our homeschool group is planning a visit to the local indoor play place with its tunnels, ball pits, and inflatable bouncers, and that makes me really cringe. I think we may sit that one out depending on how things are going by then; it is February.

Ohhh...the last time we were really sick was our last couple of days at Disney World (we were there 2 weeks) last December. I started with a bad cold during our first week, the boys ended up with high fevers and ear infections our last couple of days (we had to take the auto train home while they were really sick) and DH got hit the day after we returned home. Then we had the stress of one week to get ready for Christmas. So not fun....

Good luck!!!!

That said, DS5 has a birthday party to attend at Chuck E. Cheese's Sunday (cringe), we are going to the Children's Museum on Tuesday, and we are going on a field trip at the art museum on Wednesday. Our homeschool group is planning a visit to the local indoor play place with its tunnels, ball pits, and inflatable bouncers, and that makes me really cringe. I think we may sit that one out depending on how things are going by then; it is February.

Okay, I feel like I need more Vitamin C and hand sanitizer just hearing about those outings. ;)

I'm torn. I really want to avoid all the crowds. Problem is Ds has a chance to watch a local Mock Trial competition tomorrow to see if he is interested in participating. We've been discussing this all night and still haven't decided if we want to sit in a room crammed with people.

Yeah, this year, I am. I'm not usually too much of a germaphobe, and colds don't bother me, but this year, we are taking a few extra precautions, because I just don't want to deal with the flu. We're avoiding the library (I send DH or DD to pick up holds), and at unavoidable places like the grocery store, I wipe down the cart (which I don't normally do), and nobody's allowed to use public water fountains right now. Even with "just" four kids, colds and flu just take a long time to work through the family, and I just don't want to deal with it. So far, no flu.

nobody's allowed to use public water fountains right now.

No one in my family is allowed to use public water fountains unless we are stuck in the desert and in danger of dying of dehydration. I have made that very clear for years and had many people give me very odd looks. I'm not normally neurotic, but I accept that in this one thing I am and that's just the way it is.

ETA: This does not just apply during flu season. Water fountains creep me out. <shudder>

Ohhh...the last time we were really sick was our last couple of days at Disney World (we were there 2 weeks) last December. I started with a bad cold during our first week, the boys ended up with high fevers and ear infections our last couple of days (we had to take the auto train home while they were really sick) and DH got hit the day after we returned home. Then we had the stress of one week to get ready for Christmas. So not fun....

Good luck!!!!

You're reminding me that my kid got sick on the way to Disney. I can't even remember the details, but I know I had to buy some kids' tylenol. Then a week later my other kid got a really bad bug bite (she's allergic), so that was interesting, considering we were then in a developing country. At some point both of the kids had bloody noses. Oh, and they drank the water down there and ended up praying to the porcelain god as we were supposed to be boarding a flight. And one of our companions hurt her knee and had to go buy a cane in order to hobble around.

I probably should stop remembering things right now.

I was thinking of this thread tonight as we were waiting to eat in a very crowded restaurant. The temps have dropped here so everyone was huddled inside and very close together. Then, you had a hostess come around every few minutes offering bite sized appetizers to all waiting. As I watched all the hands reaching onto the plate to grab a piece of whatever they were serving I felt a little ill. We stayed, we ate, we had fun, and are now back home. I really hope we're not sick later.