Menu

Need family movie suggestions...

Jann in TX

We have a dedicated home theater room-- we like movies.

Tonight we want to cuddle up to a good movie--but don't know where to start?

We have Amazon Prime and Netflix

We are looking for suggestions for a family movie night-- movie ratings G to PG 13. Can be an older one that we have forgotten about...

Last weekend we had a Lord of the Rings marathon... We have all of the Star Trek and Star Wars movies...and most of the current 'super hero ones'...Back to the Future...Harry Potter (we kind of like Sci-fi )

What 'Classic' or Epic movies are out there, we are looking for something that youngest dd has not seen.

OH-- our last family movie night (with college kids too) was Finding Nemo...

TIA

Jann

Pride and Prejudice, the 5-hour version with Colin Firth!

My 14yo and I watched that a few months ago and LOVED it. After you see that, you then have to watch the Lizzie Bennet Diaries webisodes.

http://www.lizziebennet.com/

George and the Dragon is a lot of fun. It was originally released as Dragonsword. We like it better than Princess Bride.

ETA:

After seeing the MIB response below, I wanted to add Independence Day. We all thoroughly enjoyed that one.

And if you are looking for a movie to see in the theater, Wreck-it Ralph and Rise of the Guardians are two of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

We are going to watch WarGames tonight. If I remember correctly it has some language in it. A few weeks ago we all watched Hugo and enjoyed it. Second Hand Lions or just about anything w/Robert Duvall never gets old! October Sky is another good movie. We like John Wayne, James Stewart, Cary Grant, Alfred Hitchcock movies. My husband and ds1 get a kick out of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 movies. I know there are quite a few on Netflix.

Pride and Prejudice, the 5-hour version with Colin Firth!

My 14yo and I watched that a few months ago and LOVED it. After you see that, you then have to watch the Lizzie Bennet Diaries webisodes.

These are hilarious! Skipped thru some, but enjoyed them... thanks for the link.

Seconding October Sky. There is a brief sexual innuendo kind of conversation near the beginning, but it's pretty harmless imo. It just came on Netflix. One of our favorite movies ever!

There are some really good foreign movies, too, that I can't think of at the moment--I'll ask ds for some recommendations. They would probably fall more into the PG-13 catagory.

We just finished Roots and North and South. I'll keep thinking for you. We enjoyed the change of pace of miniseries.

Beck

What age would you say Roots is good for? I don't recall seeing it (I know I saw parts of it when I was much younger) and I can't seem to find it on commonsensemedia.org.

What age would you say Roots is good for? I don't recall seeing it (I know I saw parts of it when I was much younger) and I can't seem to find it on commonsensemedia.org.

I saw it at 10 and was riveted.

recently we've enjoyed tintin, hugo. the boys couldnt sit through whalerider, but we liked it. the boys LOVE Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights. Not sure if its still streaming, but a town called panic was a hit. i love small soldiers but the kids wont watch it often.