Menu

I HATE teaching spelling...

AnaShoo

This is our first year homeschooling. I have a second grader whose teacher used the "memorize a list of words, then test later in the week" method. He hated it, and, by her own admission, promptly forgot the words he drilled every week. So, I didn't look at any programs that looked like that. I started him on a rule-based program and at first it seemed to go okay. A few months into it, he seemed to hit a wall, and also seemed to have forgotten everything else I thought he'd been doing okay with. We've gone to a more informal method of writing sentences, then looking up words he doesn't spell correctly. Problem is, he's still not seeming to make a lot of progress, and both of us are getting frustrated.

I just don't understand how you even "teach" spelling. I was homeschooled by a mother who didn't give me any formal spelling instruction. I was an avid reader, however, who learns by visualization, and spelling has never been a problem for me. I am torn right now - do I just give up and assign extra reading and hope he will be like me, or is spelling instruction truly necessary for most kids? I keep staring at AAS, but can't bring myself to pay so much for a program I'm not sure really works long-term. I'm doing AAR with my five year old, who loves it, and so do I, but I just don't know...

Anyone else struggle with this issue? Advice?

This is our first year homeschooling. I have a second grader whose teacher used the "memorize a list of words, then test later in the week" method. He hated it, and, by her own admission, promptly forgot the words he drilled every week. So, I didn't look at any programs that looked like that. I started him on a rule-based program and at first it seemed to go okay. A few months into it, he seemed to hit a wall, and also seemed to have forgotten everything else I thought he'd been doing okay with. We've gone to a more informal method of writing sentences, then looking up words he doesn't spell correctly. Problem is, he's still not seeming to make a lot of progress, and both of us are getting frustrated.

I just don't understand how you even "teach" spelling. I was homeschooled by a mother who didn't give me any formal spelling instruction. I was an avid reader, however, who learns by visualization, and spelling has never been a problem for me. I am torn right now - do I just give up and assign extra reading and hope he will be like me, or is spelling instruction truly necessary for most kids? I keep staring at AAS, but can't bring myself to pay so much for a program I'm not sure really works long-term. I'm doing AAR with my five year old, who loves it, and so do I, but I just don't know...

Anyone else struggle with this issue? Advice?

This is also our first full year homeshcooling, my son came home in the middle of second grade and also was with a teacher/school who gave a list, memorized words, and then poof never to worry about again. I get it. I, too, am a natural speller so the idea of "teaching" someone to spell was foreign to me.

My son, however, is an excellent and avid reader so I knew he needed phonics/spelling remediation.

I tried AAS, it works for many, I was not a fan, I wanted all the rules and phonograms memorized up front, I didn't like how slow it moved for us. I also HATED the tiles. Although, some use it without the tiles.

I also tried R&S (which I really like and plan to use in the future, perhaps.) BUT my DS still needed MORE explicit instruction. He did not know what sound the letters really made outside of a word....sounds strange but he didn't know how to break up a word to spell it properly.

So, then I tried Spelling Power, um, just no. It again, just didn't work for us. I felt like it needed more meat and WHY we spell for my son. I think it might work very well for a natural speller.

We tried spelling through dictation and copywork, nothing was being retained.

STEP IN

SPALDING using The Writing Road to Reading. I am wondering why other programs seem so complicated. I read the manual and re-read the manual and plan to continue to read it but it just makes sense.

We started this week (my son said, "this is fun!) and it's straight forward to me. I really have enjoyed it thus far. I can already seem things clicking, like he just suddenly realized that 'a' has three sounds. :) Wow, when I know that I can understand how to spell something better.

I think I might just be rambling. I am just telling you I feel your pain. Spelling was difficult for us to figure out. I also, thought it shouldn't be this complicated but now that I am using the Spalding method, it really doesn't feel so strange. I didn't want to major in the minors but I started seeing that his lack of explicit spelling/phonics instruction was inhibiting his overall academic performance.

I am such a newbie, I just wanted to encourage you. There is a lot out there and what works for some may not work for others. I have also heard it said that the magic age for spelling to click could be as old at 10-11. So, I will keep plugging away and hope that in good time it will click.

I hope some others can offer you some wisdom and BTDT stories to help you out. Oh, and Ellie is the resident Spalding geek and can give you some pointers if you take the Spalding splunge (as I have coined it now).

Best wishes.

We have been using (just thin

Well, we use a traditional spelling program, but spelling is pretty low-key around here. I think there are enough exercises in our book, plus I have the kids write their list once a day and we "say-spell-say" it once a day and they do pretty well on the tests. We use Spelling Workout and like it.

I have the exact same story. New homeschooler. Spelling has always been easy for me. Of my two oldest, my 12 year old is a gifted speller, but my 9 year old is not. She memorizes lists but then forgets the most basic words. I don't really understand why we have to learn it the way I see most people here recommend. But I know my poor husband and my father are poor spellers and I don't want my children to have the same daily struggles they have. I want them to be confidant spellers.

I posted the same question a couple of weeks ago and got a lot of feedback. I feel like Spalding may be the way to go for us. Now... where to begin. :)

Did the traditional spelling curriculums for years and never felt it was worth the time. This year (meaning we just started this) I am making a spelling list based of my dd's misspelled words from her writing. If it is a word I think she should know and it is misspelled I write it on scratch paper...10 words gathered and we will then work with these words. Look at the phonics, similar words with same spelling, and any rules associated with the spelling.

I like AAS, and we use AAR and like it too. We tried the list technique before we found AAS, and my poor-spelling DD9 is finally able to spell better. I don't like teaching spelling either and don't love the tiles, but the tiles seem to help her cement the rules and words in her brain. I think the best part of AAS, though, is dictation with carefully chosen words that she already knows. It gives her confidence. AAS is teacher intensive.

We also do dictation for writing, and I think that has helped her out. She encounters words that are above her, but with my help she can use her rules that she has already learned.

One thing also, I am a natural speller, so teaching a student who is not is irritating (just being honest! :))

Did the traditional spelling curriculums for years and never felt it was worth the time. This year (meaning we just started this) I am making a spelling list based of my dd's misspelled words from her writing. If it is a word I think she should know and it is misspelled I write it on scratch paper...10 words gathered and we will then work with these words. Look at the phonics, similar words with same spelling, and any rules associated with the spelling.

yes, i agree with this approach.

i keep track of misspelled words and we incorporate those for review.

We started using Spelling Power this year. I love it and I see dd's spelling improving. We spend no more than 5 minutes on it together a day and she spends no more than 10 minutes doing corrections. I got the book used and I will be able to use it up through high school if needed.

I felt the same way when I considered AAS. I ended up with SWR instead, and I think it is a better program for us, because it seems more flexible, which we need. It is also a lot cheaper overall, though you spend more money on the front end but then have very little more to buy thereafter.

I totally relate. Check out the Logic of English website. Watch Denise go through the spelling dictation method. Whether you like that curriculum or not - this *method* has completely revolutionized spelling at our house! Now instead of a dreaded, rote, busywork process, spelling is an interesting discussion about how to apply the logic of the rules of english phonemes to spelling words. I can't tell you how much more engaging and effective this method has been for us than the traditional repeat/memorize/forget cycle we'd been on in the past - which led me to drop spelling - which didn't improve dd's spelling any!!

I'm actually starting to see improvements in her spelling on her writing assignments, which is the goal, and the actual reason for doing spelling in the first place, right? I don't care if she can win a spelling bee, I want her to be able to puzzle out the correct spellings for the words she wants to write - and not to limit her word choices in writing because she can't figure out how to spell a word!

Definitely think about this method - with whatever curriculum you choose, although LOE with the advanced spelling list is working wonderfully for us!

This is also our first full year homeshcooling, my son came home in the middle of second grade and also was with a teacher/school who gave a list, memorized words, and then poof never to worry about again. I get it. I, too, am a natural speller so the idea of "teaching" someone to spell was foreign to me.

My son, however, is an excellent and avid reader so I knew he needed phonics/spelling remediation.

I tried AAS, it works for many, I was not a fan, I wanted all the rules and phonograms memorized up front, I didn't like how slow it moved for us. I also HATED the tiles. Although, some use it without the tiles.

I also tried R&S (which I really like and plan to use in the future, perhaps.) BUT my DS still needed MORE explicit instruction. He did not know what sound the letters really made outside of a word....sounds strange but he didn't know how to break up a word to spell it properly.

So, then I tried Spelling Power, um, just no. It again, just didn't work for us. I felt like it needed more meat and WHY we spell for my son. I think it might work very well for a natural speller.

We tried spelling through dictation and copywork, nothing was being retained.

STEP IN

SPALDING using The Writing Road to Reading. I am wondering why other programs seem so complicated. I read the manual and re-read the manual and plan to continue to read it but it just makes sense.

We started this week (my son said, "this is fun!) and it's straight forward to me. I really have enjoyed it thus far. I can already seem things clicking, like he just suddenly realized that 'a' has three sounds. :) Wow, when I know that I can understand how to spell something better.

This is similar to some of my son's issues - he often stumbles on letter sounds, which has always baffled me because he was an early reader and reads far past his grade level. How can he puzzle out long words, yet not tell me what the short and long sounds of vowels are? Or, even what all the vowels ARE?

I did take a look at Spaldng - it's really pricey, though. Is the full homeschool kit necessary, or would it be possible to start with just the book and go from there?

I totally relate. Check out the Logic of English website. Watch Denise go through the spelling dictation method. Whether you like that curriculum or not - this *method* has completely revolutionized spelling at our house! Now instead of a dreaded, rote, busywork process, spelling is an interesting discussion about how to apply the logic of the rules of english phonemes to spelling words. I can't tell you how much more engaging and effective this method has been for us than the traditional repeat/memorize/forget cycle we'd been on in the past - which led me to drop spelling - which didn't improve dd's spelling any!!

I'm actually starting to see improvements in her spelling on her writing assignments, which is the goal, and the actual reason for doing spelling in the first place, right? I don't care if she can win a spelling bee, I want her to be able to puzzle out the correct spellings for the words she wants to write - and not to limit her word choices in writing because she can't figure out how to spell a word!

Definitely think about this method - with whatever curriculum you choose, although LOE with the advanced spelling list is working wonderfully for us!

Hmm, I'm intrigued by this one, too - sigh. I really like rule-based spelling, I just don't know how to teach it effectively, and most of these programs are so expensive! It really is so hard to teach something that came to me without any real work. And I was an English major with a lot of teacher training in college!

i watched the entire (like 3 hours?) of teacher training from Logic of English on youtube and I LOVED it! spelling was always torture for me, and i'm already catching some of my own spelling errors just from the teacher training! We've not gotten to start it yet, though. I started with a review of letter formation while we look at the phoneme cards and that was tortorous, and then there were multiple crises including the 9 yo having both flu and strep . . .so it still remains to be seen if it will work for us or not

Hmm, I'm intrigued by this one, too - sigh. I really like rule-based spelling, I just don't know how to teach it effectively, and most of these programs are so expensive! It really is so hard to teach something that came to me without any real work. And I was an English major with a lot of teacher training in college!

Watch the videos on the LOE website! You can apply the technique to any spelling list. Really, do it! It will change your life!

This is similar to some of my son's issues - he often stumbles on letter sounds, which has always baffled me because he was an early reader and reads far past his grade level. How can he puzzle out long words, yet not tell me what the short and long sounds of vowels are? Or, even what all the vowels ARE?

I did take a look at Spaldng - it's really pricey, though. Is the full homeschool kit necessary, or would it be possible to start with just the book and go from there?

For the Spaulding method all you need is the manual, the writing road to reading, and the phonogram cards. It is pretty inexpensive. If you are near a Barnes and noble you can get an educator's discount card and save 20%.

For those on a strict budget, the cheapest way to start teaching explicit phonics/spelling is to watch some of the LOE videos, and then get a copy of the OOP 4th edition of Writing Road to Reading. It even comes with flashcards you can cut out. Many of us have found the 4th edition a LOT easier to understand. It's the last edition written by the original author. The 6th edition has the best cursive handwriting instructions.

My son does/did the exact same thing, he can read long big words but when asked what does 'a' sound like here, he is baffled, the vowels really baffle him. It seems to be helping, he's even been pointing out, "oh, mom, that's the third sound of 'o'" and we haven't even gotten to the part where we analyze the words yet.

I did not purchase the homeschool kit, I just purchased The Writing Road to Reading, ordered the phonogram cards and the Spelling Assessment book, I tabbed things, highlighter, took lots of notes and just started and I am loving it so far. :) So, no it does not have to be expensive (altogether it was $58 w/ shipping). AND it will last and work for all of my children (I have two coming up).

HTH.

I started him on a rule-based program and at first it seemed to go okay. A few months into it, he seemed to hit a wall, and also seemed to have forgotten everything else I thought he'd been doing okay with.

It sounds like you may have hit a saturation point--too much new information started pushing out the old information that wasn't fully mastered yet. He knew the beginning rules/concepts well enough to apply them--perhaps they were partially mastered, but then as more information was added, things moved too quickly for him to really master it all. You might check out this article on the Funnel Concept and see if you think that applies. If so, you could use the concepts to go back to what you were using (assuming you liked that), solidify those beginning concepts for him, and then progress a bit more slowly to make sure there aren't any gaps. Or, since you like AAR, give AAS a try. They have a 1-year, 100% satisfaction guarantee when you order through them, so if it doesn't work out, you can return it. My kids are in Levels 6 & 7 now, and it's helped them a ton--so for us it has worked over the long haul. Here's a review update I did awhile back. Hope you can figure out the best way to go with your son! He's young yet, he'll get there :).

Merry :-)

i watched the entire (like 3 hours?) of teacher training from Logic of English on youtube and I LOVED it! spelling was always torture for me, and i'm already catching some of my own spelling errors just from the teacher training! We've not gotten to start it yet, though. I started with a review of letter formation while we look at the phoneme cards and that was tortorous, and then there were multiple crises including the 9 yo having both flu and strep . . .so it still remains to be seen if it will work for us or not

Would you mind linking to the video you watched, pretty please??

We use AAS and love it! My 3rd grade DD just started Level 6. However, she is a natural speller, a good reader, and has good visual memory. Any spelling program would probably work for her. My 1st grade DS is a different ballgame. He's about 80% done with Level 1. For one, his writing is much slower and two, his ability to focus is what you would expect from a 6 year old boy. Visual memory is not his strong point, and at this point, he has to actively think about rules in order to spell. I couldn't even imagine doing anything other than a rule-based spelling program with him.

Also, FWIW, AAS can be easily resold.

We use AAS and love it! My 3rd grade DD just started Level 6. However, she is a natural speller, a good reader, and has good visual memory. Any spelling program would probably work for her. My 1st grade DS is a different ballgame. He's about 80% done with Level 1. For one, his writing is much slower and two, his ability to focus is what you would expect from a 6 year old boy. Visual memory is not his strong point, and at this point, he has to actively think about rules in order to spell. I couldn't even imagine doing anything other than a rule-based spelling program with him.

Also, FWIW, AAS can be easily resold.

Is AAS best for visual learner, do you think? I am asking because I'm realizing that my son is a lot like me in how he learns - he "sees" things in his head. I'd really like to do something that works with that.

And thanks to everyone for responding! You've given me a direction - I'm still not sure what we'll go with, but I'm studying all of this. And I thought math was going to be the hardest decision I had to make...

• 1 month later...

I've never understood why spelling was such a big deal to teach. Little did I know in the early years how blessed I was with a natural speller! After learning the SWR phonograms, #2 began to improve in spelling. Not a natural speller, for sure, but decent. I thought I had this spelling thing down and didn't understand what the big deal was. Ha! I haven't a clue how to teach spelling to #3. So "newbies"" be encouraged! It is not tough b/c you are new!

One thing that was fascinating to me years ago was learning that decoding (reading) and encoding (spelling) are very different skills. Didn't think much about it at the time, but now I have a decent reader who can't spell and realize that avid readers don't always equal good spellers.

I have just received a new set of SWR phonogram cards and we are memorizing the sounds and rules. This is immensely fun! Once the sounds have been introduced, we play a little game. Ds starts at the top of the steps. If he can correctly say the sounds on the card I'm holding, he jumps down one step. If he needs to ask for help, he repeats me and stays on the step. If he incorrectly says the sounds and does not ask for help, he jumps back one step. The goal is to get further down the steps than the day before (and eventually back up and down again in the same fashion). For this kinesthetic kid, action will be key in retention, but this little game uses all the senses to help all kinds of learners.

Not sure if it will help him spell or not, but it is the road we're on for now. Hth.

I just started using Sequential Spelling. I never see anyone say they use it, but I found the idea here. I like it, because it makes sense to me and there is no prep work or lists to memorize.

We also use Explode the Code for phonics, which will help with spelling as well.

I just started back up on Handwriting without tears and that does copying and rules/word practice.

This is probably the combo I plan on sticking with. Hope that gives you some other ideas :)