Menu

How long is too long for a package sent media mail?

woolybear

I sent a package by media mail on Dec. 12. I was told it still hasn't arrived. Meanwhile, there has been Christmas, New Year's, snowstorms, etc in between. The buyer has asked for a refund, which I am willing to give. She started telling me it was late 10 days after it was sent. I'm wondering if this is taking an unreasonably long time or not. I did not get insurance or tracking, as it was a fairly cheap item. So, it may be lost or still on the way.

Just wondering what any of you say.

Thanks.

Media Mail can easily take 4-6 weeks and up to 8. It is a cheap way to mail, but can be very unpredictable in delivery times. I was told that MM packages are only shipped from destination to destination, when there is extra room on a load. They fill the bags with all the other parcels and then top it off with any MM sitting around. This time of year,even though it is after the holidays, it may take longer with all the packages being returned to online sellers.

ETA: It used to say 4-6 weeks on the USPS website. but now it says----estimated delivery time of 2-9 days. I am guessing they are changing the way they handle it or are trying to capture more clients by using it for used books. They don't say if it can take longer, or not, just the estimate. I would follow up with the USPS based on the 2-9 day estimate.

Hmmmm....I don't want her to think I keep putting her off, but I think it would be reasonable for her to wait a bit longer. However, I've said this several times since December 21 when she already felt it had been too long. I'm almost inclined to just give her the refund now anyway.

Media Mail can easily take 4-6 weeks and up to 8. It is a cheap way to mail, but can be very unpredictable in delivery times. I was told that MM packages are only shipped from destination to destination, when there is extra room on a load. They fill the bags with all the other parcels and then top it off with any MM sitting around. This time of year,even though it is after the holidays, it may take longer with all the packages being returned to online sellers.

ETA: It used to say 4-6 weeks on the USPS website. but now it says----estimated delivery time of 2-9 days. I am guessing they are changing the way they handle it or are trying to capture more clients by using it for used books. They don't say if it can take longer, or not, just the estimate. I would follow up with the USPS based on the 2-9 day estimate.

Actually, I'm waiting on something for ds, which was supposed to be sent first class, estimated delivery December 29. I'm not surprised it's taking longer.

I would think when you buy something media mail, you don't expect it in a week and a half. or even 3. sigh....

Hmmmm....I don't want her to think I keep putting her off, but I think it would be reasonable for her to wait a bit longer. However, I've said this several times since December 21 when she already felt it had been too long. I'm almost inclined to just give her the refund now anyway.

I would probably wait until the 4th to do a refund. It has been 12 business days at this point. That does not seem out of the norm for holiday shipping.

Someone on Paperback Swap mailed me a book on 12/10 from California, and it didn't get here until yesterday.

If it's been shipped Media Mail, I think it's not late unless it's been a full month. What other have posted above about media mail getting shipped last is correct, which can cause a major delay during the holidays. Her fault for ordering a week before Christmas?

Did the buyer know up front that it was to be sent MM? If so, the buyer should expect it to take at least a month this time of year. Less would be a pleasant surprise, but I think most people who have used MM before would be more patient. I realise you don't want to put her off, but ten days is unreasonable imo. If the usps has changed things as a pp said, maybe contact your po and ask them whether that's realistic this time if year. As a buyer that would reassure me that you weren't ignoring me. Hopefully she isn't doing this to other sellers, maybe it is her first experience with it.

Okay. I think asking the Post office what is reasonable at this time of year is a good idea. I will do that today and tell her. I will also let her know I am fine with giving her a refund, but perhaps can wait a bit more based on the amount of time the PO tells me.

Thanks for all the advice.

I just went back and looked at the original emails. It clearly stated media mail shipping. Whether she noticed that or not I don't know. I saw that she actually was getting antsy and emailed me 8 days after I shipped it. Granted, she had paid two days before, but I had a question on the address and we emailed the next day on that. So, if she thinks I ran right out and mailed it after that, it would've been 9 days. I think she's being a bit unreasonable. I do understand the impatience at this point, but I still think it might take this long.

Paperback swap used to have a good forum on media mail questions. I don't know what "norm" is now days, but it used to be you couldn't even file a claim for media mail until 28 days after being sent. I've had it take 4-6 weeks during slow times. I notice this year was heavy with shipping and media mail is going to take the backseat. At this time of year I wouldn't expect a media mail package for at least 3-4 regular weeks, With the snow storms and holidays I would give it a month at least before I'd expect a seller to offer a refund. I'd probably wait 6 weeks as a buyer. It bites, but it's just a busy time of year. I noticed many of my regularly shipped items were delayed this year due to storms or possibly higher volume.

ETA: I generally refrain from sending anything media mail from Thanksgiving to after the new year. it's just too low of priority. If I have to send something I look at flat rate boxes and maybe absorb some of the mailing fee.

Perhaps she doesn't know about media mail? I had several things arrive late with regular mail this holiday season, including something that was being tracked and supposed to arrive on 12/21. It got here 12/27 and it did not have to go through any snowstorms.

Things regularly take a month or just over a month to get here by media mail. Around Christmas it can be longer. If something is taking a while I usually ask how it was sent and if it was media mail I don't panic when it has't arrived right away. I made the mistake though of thinking something was sent through the post office media mail and it was just taking a while to get to Alaska when it actually was supposedly shipped through Fed Ex which doesn't take long at all. It was actually never shipped and was a scam.

I ordered something 11/30 and they told me if it didn't arrive by 12/28 to let them know. It still hasn't arrived and I have an email from them stating they will refund my cost and shipping. This is a half.com seller that claims to sell "one of a kind" items (this was an OOP book). It makes me wonder why in the world they use media mail. I would have gladly paid a few extra bucks for Priority, but wasn't given the option.