Menu

Has the iPad revolutionized anything (or everything) about your homeschool?

If so, will you share how? I don't mean for this thread to serve as (yet another) "what's your favorite app" thread, although obviously if particular apps are relevant to bigger changes, I would love to hear the details of how.

I got a new iPad for Christmas, mostly for Notability, Dropbox, and a bigger version of SayHi than I had on my phone. (Not to mention that my laptop's video card has been fried for almost a year, but I digress. :lol:) I am enjoying those apps, but I would love to get a big picture view that would help me realize the full potential of this nifty little device.

Anyone want to contribute to "My iPad and Me" story time? :tongue_smilie:

I have started using it a lot more this year with my oldest starting high school. I actually even had dh buy a second iPad just for me. (we had one of the 1st generation ones, which is now for the kids). I use it a lot for ds' literature readings, I can find or buy ebooks or pdfs and then download them on both devices so we can read simultaneously and discuss. Some of the schoolbooks for my youngers are pdfs and they prefer to read those on the iPad as well. I also use it for videos -- my oldest in particular is using a couple of the courses from the Teaching Company, I put those on the iPad and he can watch in his room or when we're in the car.

Some of these issues are more relevant for us, perhaps, because we live overseas and sometimes have a hard time getting books easily/quickly/cheaply. For that alone the iPad has been a huge boon. The kids have a lot of educational apps and games on the iPad, and I'm sure those have had an impact, but the reading and video capabilities are what have really been the biggest use for us.... at least so far!

hth

Revolutionized is a strong word, but yes, it iPad has really changed things for us. First of all, it has made life so much more portable. I initially thought we would probably be doing lots of pdf curricula on Notability, but that hasn't happened so much. However, we often do school on the go and it lets us go without lugging a million books along - in those cases, we do put them on Notability. And we use Notability like a smartboard when we're out and about so I don't end up lugging so much paper or little white boards around (yes, I used to do that). Plus, it can double as a second Kindle for more portability as well.

And, in line with portability, it lets me keep all my notes with me all the time. I never loved taking notes on a pda or on my phone, but I love using the stylus and letting all my little bits of to do lists and so forth be on the iPad. And then the notes for what books we're going to read and what groceries I need to pick up and what lessons we're planning are all in one place for me.

The other thing is that it's quicker and more cuddly for us than the computer. I don't mean the processing speed, but more that if we're sitting and reading something aloud or learning something, pulling out the laptop to look up a picture or a quick video just takes longer and is less conducive to the curled up on the sofa thing. We have SO many moments like this with the iPad where a famous place is mentioned in a book and the kids want to know what it is. The iPad is there, I pull up an image, then we go back to the book. It's less disruptive and distracting than the whole computer.

I've also found it to be a great creation tool for the kids and myself. The kids like things like Toontastic and Scribble Press. And now they're using it to make little movies with iMovie and Smoovie. And they can format their own reports and things on Pages - it's so much more intuitive than using the same programs on the computer. It's all because it's such a more intuitive tool, you know?

And this is to say nothing on math games. The math games are pretty worthwhile.

Overall, it's been a huge positive for our homeschool. So much so that I really want the kids to have minis... as soon as its in the budget.

ETA: Oh, yeah, and I also dorkily use it for teaching co-op all the time - I make slide shows and things with relevant images.

We bought one a homeschooling tool and never really got into using it that way. We sold it off last year and haven't missed it. Maybe we would get more out of it now that he is older but it's not high on the list money wise.

It is already earning its keep around here by acting as a mini laptop for me and Spanish language tutor for us all. I am simply looking to maximize its usefulness, seeing as how it is already meeting my general needs. Sorry it wasn't a fit for you!

i also find its much easier to look up something on the ipad than on the computer while we are doing school - we do history on the sofa, and I always have the ipad with me because I use cozi for check-lists, both for our history assignments and for the boys individual daily assignments. I can find an historical song on youtube, find a location on google earth or maps, we can look up further information about something on the web, while still sitting together on the sofa.

i have a lot of teacher manuals on my ipad, making it easier for me to read it while we are out somewhere

I also take notes on curriculum on my ipad while we are out, and email it back to myself to update the spreadsheets I keep on the PC

i also have used a few math apps for my younger, mostly dragonbox and math ninja. also there was a disney presidents app i got on sale, which i use to get my younger more engaged with history, and we sometimes use bamboo paper for scratch paper for math and a calculator on the ipad, too, when doing math with my younger, who does not like sitting at desk/table.

definitely handy.

I have started using it a lot more this year with my oldest starting high school. I actually even had dh buy a second iPad just for me. (we had one of the 1st generation ones, which is now for the kids). I use it a lot for ds' literature readings, I can find or buy ebooks or pdfs and then download them on both devices so we can read simultaneously and discuss. Some of the schoolbooks for my youngers are pdfs and they prefer to read those on the iPad as well. I also use it for videos -- my oldest in particular is using a couple of the courses from the Teaching Company, I put those on the iPad and he can watch in his room or when we're in the car.

Some of these issues are more relevant for us, perhaps, because we live overseas and sometimes have a hard time getting books easily/quickly/cheaply. For that alone the iPad has been a huge boon. The kids have a lot of educational apps and games on the iPad, and I'm sure those have had an impact, but the reading and video capabilities are what have really been the biggest use for us.... at least so far!

hth

Thanks! The ability to read simultaneously is pretty cool! We do have a Kindle that DS9 uses a lot. Oh, now would be the perfect time to dig up that HS using vintage texts thread! Love the idea of watching downloaded TC videos too. I have put lots of educational apps on, some that I have on my iPhone. The difference in enjoyment level due to the larger screen size is extraordinary!

There is a reasonable possibility of our next move taking us overseas. I can see the benefit to the iPad for sure.

The other thing is that it's quicker and more cuddly for us than the computer. I don't mean the processing speed, but more that if we're sitting and reading something aloud or learning something, pulling out the laptop to look up a picture or a quick video just takes longer and is less conducive to the curled up on the sofa thing. We have SO many moments like this with the iPad where a famous place is mentioned in a book and the kids want to know what it is. The iPad is there, I pull up an image, then we go back to the book. It's less disruptive and distracting than the whole computer.

This makes me happy and is what I envisioned for us. We do a lot of school on our sectional, laying around. This gives me warm fuzzies.

I love the idea of using Notability as a smart board! I intend to use it for Math Mammoth (which I pull up occasionally, as needed, but don't want to print). I am also seriously thinking about Lively Latin. (Is it just me or is there something kind of cool and ironic about using an iPad to learn an ancient language?) I have the Kindle app and could see the benefit of reading something along with one of the kids.

About keeping notes, yes! I am loving the bigger qwerty keys and LOVE my stylus! When I try to type on my phone now, I feel like a giant ape! :lol: I am trying to embrace Dropbox. What I really would love is something for spreadsheets, because that is how I make our school schedules. Or I could just upload the one on the laptop and read it on the iPad? But what would allow me to make one from scratch on the iPad, I wonder...

I will look for the creativity apps you listed. I got Toontastic on Christmas because DD played with it at a friend's house and loved it. Before Christmas, she not so subtly started hinting that I should ask DH for an iPad for Christmas. Little did she know it was already hidden in his dresser. I do have lots of math apps too, but you just reminded me that I think Hands-On Equations is supposed to have a good one. Need to go look for that!

Definitely agree with you on how intuitive it is. I am finding some of the apps less intuitive though, and I downright resent some of the apps that keep after you to purchase additional upgrades or tools. I am really shocked at myself for this because I am not a big techie, but I want the kids to have minis too, if only for the incredible SayHi app. :tongue_smilie: I really like that app. :lol:

I do not think it is dorky at all to use it for coop. That kind of naturally pairs up with the device's quick ability to look up and have the treasures of the world at your fingertips, then save them, accessing them wherever you are.

Thanks for your help!

i also find its much easier to look up something on the ipad than on the computer while we are doing school - we do history on the sofa, and I always have the ipad with me because I use cozi for check-lists, both for our history assignments and for the boys individual daily assignments. I can find an historical song on youtube, find a location on google earth or maps, we can look up further information about something on the web, while still sitting together on the sofa.

i have a lot of teacher manuals on my ipad, making it easier for me to read it while we are out somewhere

I also take notes on curriculum on my ipad while we are out, and email it back to myself to update the spreadsheets I keep on the PC

i also have used a few math apps for my younger, mostly dragonbox and math ninja. also there was a disney presidents app i got on sale, which i use to get my younger more engaged with history, and we sometimes use bamboo paper for scratch paper for math and a calculator on the ipad, too, when doing math with my younger, who does not like sitting at desk/table.

definitely handy.

Oh thanks! I will have to look up cozi. And I need Google Earth! I have a vague memory of some very cool lesson plans on GE that revolved around the geography of kids' literature. Also, being able to instantly pull up maps while cuddling is cool. I can be bad about not prepping maps so being able to do it "in the moment" would be a help to me.

My boys are not fond of tables either! They like standing on their heads on the couch while I read. :)

Thanks again!

Having an iPad has not been revolutionary, but it is so convenient that it has enriched using.

We use the pdfs -- Notability - a lot. It is especially good for diagrams that need to be colored in and for maps, especially when the page is crowded, because it is so easy to move labels around and resize.

We also use it for enrichment. For example, dd was reading about cobras and mongooses -- we could just hit a few videos quickly, without having to move anything aside (as one would for a laptop).

And a lot of the apps are so helpful -- I'd have to say that quizlet is a favorite, and the iPad version has features that the computer version does not.

We tried the free version of the Hands on Equations app... but I was disappointed. I didn't find it intuitive and while some apps compensate for a lack of hands on sensation with sounds or with a cool interface, this one just didn't. So I didn't end up getting it.

There are lots of good spreadsheet programs though.

I always scroll down to see what the "top in app purchases" are before I get an app. I hate that the Kindle Fire the kids have doesn't do that.

I love our iPad and find it very useful in our homeschooling day. I can set up my K'er with it and while he's working on his letters/numbers with the Montessori apps I can help my third grader with his work. My Dh jokes that it's practically glued to me throughout the day. I read both children stories from the iPad every day. When my oldest is immersed in a project, he uses the iPad for research, videos, etc. while both boys are working I document their learning with Evernote, taking pictures and writing notes about what they are doing. During quiet time, the iPad is with me while I research books/audiobooks/etc and reserve them at the library from my couch. I can download ebooks and audiobooks directly to the iPad. I also bring it with me when my boys have lessons and activities and I'm waiting.

We listen to audiobooks on it while drawing or playing. My boys text Dh at work from it.

We love it so much that Dh and I are plannign to add a second iPad to our homeschool for the upcoming year. Eventually, I'd like one for each of us.

I use Math Mammoth with Notability for my third grader. We use very little paper in our lesson work now.

I was one who always thought we didn't need an ipad -until I got one for Christmas. Now I wonder how I did without it. I haven't used it for HS yet but I can already see it's usefulness to me. Living overseas I buy a lot of my curriuculum as downloads. It is so handy to have them all in the ipad -saves me sooooo much money in ink and paper -and I no longer loose my lesson plans . It saves me a ton of time not havng to search our main computer for everything I need.

The other bonus is that my 3yo LOVES it - I can see how great it is going to be for those times he gets bored and starts to interrupt our lessons.

I'm considering buying a second one - because I never seem to get a turn on it with all my kids fighting over who gets to use it next.

For you who are using a stylus with your ipad, do you use a *screen protector* also? I haven't figured out if it's safe to use a stylus without a screen protector, so I've never tried. I make volumes and volumes of paper taking notes. Actually, I'm not sure even the ipad could keep up with me, lol. I filled 5 1/2 composition books this year AND hundreds pages more of loose typing paper that got written on. That doesn't even include backs of envelopes and stuff. I have sort of a paper problem, lol. I love my ipad, but I'm not sure how to use it to solve that. :w00t:

For you who are using a stylus with your ipad, do you use a *screen protector* also? I haven't figured out if it's safe to use a stylus without a screen protector, so I've never tried. I make volumes and volumes of paper taking notes. Actually, I'm not sure even the ipad could keep up with me, lol. I filled 5 1/2 composition books this year AND hundreds pages more of loose typing paper that got written on. That doesn't even include backs of envelopes and stuff. I have sort of a paper problem, lol. I love my ipad, but I'm not sure how to use it to solve that. :w00t:

I don't - I don't love having that film over the screen - but others I know do and don't seem to have an issue with it. Some of the screen protectors aren't that expensive. You could just try one and if you don't like it, remove it. They're removable.

I used to be exactly the same way with piles of notebooks and loose papers and the iPad has, indeed, revolutionized that for me. I need the sensation of writing, but I've gotten used to the stylus. And I use Notability to organize it. I've played around with Paper from 53 and it's excellent as well, but i had already gotten used to Notability. I keep a different folder (but if you were using Paper or some other program, you could use something else) for homeschool notes, to do lists, grocery and food notes, teaching notes (for the outside things I teach), and so forth. And if I ever need to print anything, I can - Notability will export it as a pdf. I did this when I was directing our homeschool production this summer - I printed my Notability script with all my notes for the parents running the lightboard, the backstage, etc. It looked really nice - and was all covered with my handwritten notes.

I am working on getting more use out of our iPad. I currently get good use out of it for audio books, google searches to follow rabbit trails, and math and handwriting apps. Also, I did make a great list of videos to go with our BFSU schedule and keep it in my iPad notes. Then I bought a cord to plug my iPad into my TV and presto - I can just click the links in my iPad notes and our science videos play on the big screen. No more squishing around the computer together! I need to make similar lists for history, music, art, and Spanish. Having all the videos in a list and easy way to play them to all the kids at once is a big deal for me.

I have a dear friend who truly did revolutionize her homeschool with her iPad, and I am taking tips from her. She heavily uses notability for PDFs. Her kids do all worksheets on the iPad, elimating a ton of paper in her life. If she can't buy something in a PDF, she'll take photos of the pages and then make them into PDFs. She has her early readers working on fluency by downloading both the audio and kindle version of a book so they can read along while listening. She uses a make-your-own flash card app for several subjects, but especially foreign language. She uses a whiteboard app to illustrate concepts, but it also has a recording feature so the kids can rewatch a lesson she taught for review or further study. She can also use this to record both audio and visual narrations from the kids. I can't remember all else, but I can see how you could really revolutionize your homeschool with iPads after seeing her set-up. I loved it because she was able to minimize paperwork - which I detest having to deal with - and save herself time by having her teaching, her resources, her notes, everything centrally stored in one place. I would love to minimize paper clutter and workbooks and whatnot so we could have more room for beautiful books and art work and science equipment!

The easiest good one to find is the Targus. You can find it at Target, Staples, Radio Shack - pretty much anywhere. If you have the smart cover then it will stick to the magnetic closure... oh, not on the leather one though.

I also do the take a photo of a paper thing a good bit. Not to the point of having everything - but I'm getting into the habit of it for little things - oh, I like this recipe - SNAP - I'm going to use this lesson from this giant book at co-op - SNAP - Here's the rules sheet that I need to not lose - SNAP. And then I have it because that iPad is my life.

Ok, but if you take 40K images like that, snap, snap, then how do you ORGANIZE them and find them? What good is a picture of the recipe to me? There's clearly something I'm missing, hehe.

I have a single file in Notability that has my recipes. And another with the instant challenges for our DI team... I just open the file and read it. I don't do it a ton - just enough to be useful. If I was doing it all the time, that might be different.

We use the iPad for three of our school books (Word Mastery, First Book in English, and Graded Studies in Great Authors - all from the early 20th century). I could print all of these books, but I'm confident that I would NOT.

We snuggle in bed at night, I check the Satori Smiles Bird Book Companion to see which birds we'll be reading about, look up those books on our bird app, then read the Burgess Bird book on the Kindle app for iPad.

Love that I can hand the iPad to my preschooler and say, "Go play!" while I do work with the other two kids. I have purposely downloaded only educational-type games, so they are forced to still play (and enjoy) them by choice (they keep wanting me to get Angry Birds, but in its absence they play Monster Physics and Math Bingo!).

Math Mammoth on the iPad was a flop for us. DD couldn't manage it without making stray marks and all manner of difficulty, even with a stylus. She's a lefty, so I don't know if that made it trickier.

That's all I can think of off-hand that's school-related. Time to get off so we can read another bird chapter before bed!

Found this youtube video on how to use Notability to take notes. It has a whole bunch of features I didn't realize! I'm assuming I can *search* notes I make in Notability? That would make my life complete. Oh dear, I'll be they're only searchable if they're typed. Or maybe the titles at least can be searched? That would help.

Oh, yeah, and I also dorkily use it for teaching co-op all the time - I make slide shows and things with relevant images.

Oh! How do you make slide shows for co-op? What app do you use?

That sounds like something I would really like to be able to do for our co-op.

Do you have the ability to show the slide show on a big screen, or do the

kids crowd around the iPad?

My iPad is an essential part of my homeschool.

We watch videos on it snuggled on the sofa.

I keep my answer keys on it.

We look up things on it when we want a quick reference.

I use it to play our music appreciation.

I keep track of DD's spelling words on it.

Dd uses it to type her writing assignments.

However, one of my favorite uses is that we review our memory work on it.

It might not seem like a big deal unless you realize that we review memory

work every day, seven days a week. Before the iPad we had to review our

memory work at the computer. Now we can review at the park, in the waiting room,

on the sofa, anywhere.

Oh! How do you make slide shows for co-op? What app do you use?

That sounds like something I would really like to be able to do for our co-op.

Do you have the ability to show the slide show on a big screen, or do the

kids crowd around the iPad?

One nifty free app for slide slows is Haiku and there are easy to use smart board programs like Educreations. But I've used others. Our co-op is small, so I'll just hold up the iPad like a picture book, but you can get a gadget to connect it to a TV.

memory work at the computer. Now we can review at the park, in the waiting room,

on the sofa, anywhere.

How are you organizing your memory work?

We tried the free version of the Hands on Equations app... but I was disappointed. I didn't find it intuitive and while some apps compensate for a lack of hands on sensation with sounds or with a cool interface, this one just didn't. So I didn't end up getting it.

There are lots of good spreadsheet programs though.

I always scroll down to see what the "top in app purchases" are before I get an app. I hate that the Kindle Fire the kids have doesn't do that.

Ugh about HOE. But thanks for sharing! Will look for a spreadsheet program...

I am working on getting more use out of our iPad. I currently get good use out of it for audio books, google searches to follow rabbit trails, and math and handwriting apps. Also, I did make a great list of videos to go with our BFSU schedule and keep it in my iPad notes. Then I bought a cord to plug my iPad into my TV and presto - I can just click the links in my iPad notes and our science videos play on the big screen. No more squishing around the computer together! I need to make similar lists for history, music, art, and Spanish. Having all the videos in a list and easy way to play them to all the kids at once is a big deal for me.

I have a dear friend who truly did revolutionize her homeschool with her iPad, and I am taking tips from her. She heavily uses notability for PDFs. Her kids do all worksheets on the iPad, elimating a ton of paper in her life. If she can't buy something in a PDF, she'll take photos of the pages and then make them into PDFs. She has her early readers working on fluency by downloading both the audio and kindle version of a book so they can read along while listening. She uses a make-your-own flash card app for several subjects, but especially foreign language. She uses a whiteboard app to illustrate concepts, but it also has a recording feature so the kids can rewatch a lesson she taught for review or further study. She can also use this to record both audio and visual narrations from the kids. I can't remember all else, but I can see how you could really revolutionize your homeschool with iPads after seeing her set-up. I loved it because she was able to minimize paperwork - which I detest having to deal with - and save herself time by having her teaching, her resources, her notes, everything centrally stored in one place. I would love to minimize paper clutter and workbooks and whatnot so we could have more room for beautiful books and art work and science equipment!

Wow! Thanks! I need to get the TV cord. It has been great that the laptop could do that but I didn't know the iPad could too!

So what STYLUS are you paper-eschewers using? :)

I shall never eschew paper!!! I did buy a really cute stylus from Target...of unknown brand. But it's cute as a button and works great. :D

Found this youtube video on how to use Notability to take notes. It has a whole bunch of features I didn't realize! I'm assuming I can *search* notes I make in Notability? That would make my life complete. Oh dear, I'll be they're only searchable if they're typed. Or maybe the titles at least can be searched? That would help.

Thanks for posting this.

on the sofa, anywhere.

I am also interested in how you store and use memory work.

Wow, I've realized I'm not using the iPad nearly as effectively as I could be using it! I have a ton of preschool and early elem apps for the kids to play with, but I can certainly be using Notability in better ways. We do have MM1 on it and DS is just starting to work on it occasionally. I use it to take notes for church board and have some long term homeschooling thoughts written up in it, but I will certainly be using it more often now. (By the way, did you know you can password protect a category? Makes it nice!)

I have Educreations but would like to figure out how to really use it. We are working on some sight words and blends currently. Doing them on that would be more fun than notecards!

It has made homeschooling life a bit easier. I actually purchased mine to use as a planner and now end up using it more for personal use than school use.

I'm hoping to purchase a few of the next years curriculum in PDF so I can use it more for school related things. We do use it for A LOT, don't get me wrong. However we don't use it as much as I'd hoped. I wanted to use it as my planner but found out quickly that there simply isn't a planner like homeschool tracker for the iPad just yet. So I'm back to paper planning and I will input a lot of our planning into a planning app I do have that will work for now. I tried to use the planner on the ipad last year and within a few weeks I dumped it. I do have our science curriculum on the iPad which helps for lesson planning, but that'll go away once I begin the paper planning like I did before. My dh is rather disappointed because I agreed to both myself & him would both get the new iPad's. We LOVE them don't get me wrong BUT it's not the cure all for homeschooling planning...YET!

My kids each used the iPad a lot for learning apps and really learned a lot. However they each own a kindle fire now with apps on it and they are having the time of their lives doing educational apps Friday mornings for an hour. We use to spend our Friday's like a weekend day.

We do watch videos on it for our schooling purpose when needed. I use it to search easily. I use it to play music for the kids during penmanship time, and I use it for read alouds when they are available via iPad. However once they got their own tablet a lot of that went away as they are now learning to search items on their own and learning to play their own music during penmanship from their own tablets.

Wow, I've realized I'm not using the iPad nearly as effectively as I could be using it! I have a ton of preschool and early elem apps for the kids to play with, but I can certainly be using Notability in better ways. We do have MM1 on it and DS is just starting to work on it occasionally. I use it to take notes for church board and have some long term homeschooling thoughts written up in it, but I will certainly be using it more often now. (By the way, did you know you can password protect a category? Makes it nice!)

I have Educreations but would like to figure out how to really use it. We are working on some sight words and blends currently. Doing them on that would be more fun than notecards!

Oh, that app looks great! And free?! Nice! Very cool too about being able to password protect categories!

One nifty free app for slide slows is Haiku and there are easy to use smart board programs like Educreations. But I've used others. Our co-op is small, so I'll just hold up the iPad like a picture book, but you can get a gadget to connect it to a TV.

Thanks. I will check it out. My co-op class has just five to eight kids (depending on who shows up), so maybe I can do the same. I don't have access to a tv in our classroom.

I'm hoping to purchase a few of the next years curriculum in PDF so I can use it more for school related things. We do use it for A LOT, don't get me wrong. However we don't use it as much as I'd hoped. I wanted to use it as my planner but found out quickly that there simply isn't a planner like homeschool tracker for the iPad just yet. So I'm back to paper planning and I will input a lot of our planning into a planning app I do have that will work for now. I tried to use the planner on the ipad last year and within a few weeks I dumped it.

This is interesting to me, because I don't have a goal of eliminating paper schedules. I do like the iPhone/iPad for alarms and see how the periodic chimes of my intended schedule could help me stay on target for the day. I have had daydreams of perfect online schedules but I don't think that is me...for now anyway.

I did buy Lively Latin yesterday. I think it will be a good fit for my kids, and all the better that it is on PDF. Today I think I will dive into the vintage text thread. I remember a math book I thought DS6 would adore, and that boy will do virtually anything to get his paws on my iPad!

This is interesting to me, because I don't have a goal of eliminating paper schedules. I do like the iPhone/iPad for alarms and see how the periodic chimes of my intended schedule could help me stay on target for the day.

I've thought about doing hourly or 1/2 hourly dings like that, just to help me have a sense of time, but I've wondered if at some point you sort of drown them out or your brain ignores them. Has that happened to you? And what app are you using for that?

So I have a couple of burning questions...

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect the iPad to an external storage device? I have a great 1TB external hard drive that I use.

Is it possible to keep all music/audio books on my iTunes in the Cloud for instant access everywhere without using up iPad memory? I have a 160 GB iPod Classic (not completely full but definitely more than half) and a 64 GB iPad. Ideally, I could access everything from the iPad.

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect the iPad to an external storage device? I have a great 1TB external hard drive that I use.

Is it possible to keep all music/audio books on my iTunes in the Cloud for instant access everywhere without using up iPad memory? I have a 160 GB iPod Classic (not completely full but definitely more than half) and a 64 GB iPad. Ideally, I could access everything from the iPad.

Isn't that iTunes Match? And if you have a mac, they provide you cloud storage so your docs can be available. So your real problem is wanting a mac. :lol:

Mind you I do none of that, as I don't do wifi. It's just the stuff I've read you can do. My computer tried to do it to me. It copies your documents, whatever onto the cloud and then they sync onto all your devices.

I've thought about doing hourly or 1/2 hourly dings like that, just to help me have a sense of time, but I've wondered if at some point you sort of drown them out or your brain ignores them. Has that happened to you? And what app are you using for that?

I have just been using the clock (which I think came with my iPhone but DH tinkers and I am like a grunting cavegirl where these devices are concerned so who knows :lol:). I agree with you in that I think I would tune them out if they were too frequent. I have one alarm on my phone that alerts me 5 minutes prior to the time my electric co rates skyrocket and again when that period ends. I have also used the timer to remind me to dose a kid on antibiotics. Very useful for that!

I am thinking about alarms for the following:

wake-up (although DH usually serves as my alarm clock by turning on Today and kissing me goodbye)

coffee/Today/Internet surfing time ends; time to start morning chores

30 minutes of chores are up; time to start breakfast

start of school day

Then no alarms during my big morning school block because we flow how we want to flow and that is going OK. I think a 15 minute warning for the end of this block could be useful as a heads-up to not let time get away from me too much. If we are really immersed in something, lunch can get pushed too late.

I generally keep this schedule already but I wouldn't mind tightening it up a bit and I think alarms might be just the ticket.

Anyway, basically like that. I do schedule days differently due to music lessons, swim team, grocery shopping, etc. so I am also thinking alarms might help me stay in tune with the flow of specific days.

You can connect your 1TB external hard drive to a wireless router if it has a USB port and use that ext HDD as a network attached storage (NAS). However that is for your home wi-if and you won't be able to access that outside your home.

It is possible to keep music/books in the iCloud and access anywhere there is a wifi connection. However the free iCloud space that came with my apple account is 5gb, not enough to store my stuff there.

The convenience of the iPad for me is being able to have a year of curriculum loaded on their iPads and not worry about them running out of curriculum (especially for math). They did school work on the airplane while on a 16hr flight to visit grandparents.

Isn't that iTunes Match? And if you have a mac, they provide you cloud storage so your docs can be available. So your real problem is wanting a mac. :lol:

Mind you I do none of that, as I don't do wifi. It's just the stuff I've read you can do. My computer tried to do it to me. It copies your documents, whatever onto the cloud and then they sync onto all your devices.

All my pennies are being saved for an iMac right now! I plan on a family desktop to go with my iPad. Thinking birthday-ish. :D

You can connect your 1TB external hard drive to a wireless router if it has a USB port and use that ext HDD as a network attached storage (NAS). However that is for your home wi-if and you won't be able to access that outside your home.

It is possible to keep music/books in the iCloud and access anywhere there is a wifi connection. However the free iCloud space that came with my apple account is 5gb, not enough to store my stuff there.

Thanks, very helpful! That is so cool about using the router. I am going to try to figure out Dropbox too, so that should help away from home, but for massive files (photos, videos, etc.) the hard drive would be nice to link even if only at home.

I will have to look into how much cloud space costs... Might look elsewhere for a solution, depending.

How are you organizing your memory work?

We use Anki for our memory work. I put all our memory work in it for review. The link is in my sig.

I don't use Anki to introduce new memory work. That is done during our regular lessons, morning meeting, and our co-op.

Wow, my iPad is MASSIVELY underused. I am scribbling down (on paper, yes!) all these apps and am going to be checking them out. I need to start looking into PDFs for some of our textbooks. I hadn't even thought of that! I have an iPad 1, but I think most all the apps can still be used, except anything needing a camera!

Thanks so much for all the great ideas!