Menu

Swim team in the winter. Please help me help my DD.

My DD is COLD. DS9 seems to be coping well. It help that he LOOOOOVES swim team. DD likes it. But she is freeeeeeeezing and comes out of the pool every day with purple lips and goose bumps, shivering and miserable. She is a stick figure with (what appears to be) zero body fat, so that doesn't help. Coach is pretty good about letting the kids stay in the water for most of the time (kept between 83-85 degrees, according to the lifeguard). Only when they do sprints at the end do they have to get out so they can dive. The lifeguard lets them have a few minutes in the hot tub right after they finish and she lives for this (but I am starting to wonder if that is making it worse?).

Today's temp was in the high 60's and she talked about wanting to quit swim team on the way home. I know when it gets colder, she's going to lose it and I don't blame her but I want her to stick with it. She does like it and would love it except for the cold. Coach says she has great potential. I want her to be tough, but I don't want her to be miserable. This is real suffering. It doesn't help that she has had strep followed by a bad cold this fall and I think she's just generally of a weaker constitution than she would otherwise be because of that. Of course, this has been compounded by getting chilled to the bone at swim team.

So, basically, I will not force her to stay on the team but I am looking for any and every help to make her more comfortable and encourage her to persevere. I am having her take a hot shower and change into warm clothes immediately after practice. I'm thinking nice hot cocoa, which will help mentally as much as physically. But really, is there anything imperative that I am missing? What can I do to help her?

The lifeguard lets them have a few minutes in the hot tub right after they finish and she lives for this (but I am starting to wonder if that is making it worse?)....

Warm followed by wind chill followed by warm can make it worse as our body don't adjust that fast to the quick change in temperature.

I'm thinking nice hot cocoa, which will help mentally as much as physically. But really, is there anything imperative that I am missing? What can I do to help her?

Does the pool provide warm bath towels? The YMCA and the club my boys used to go to both have warm bath towels. When they get out ot the pool, I wrap them in the bath towels. In places when there is no warm towels, I warm up their bath towels using the hand warmer for awhile.

Nice hot cocoa in an insulated travel mug definately help me while my boys prefer to dash into the changing room and warm themselves there. My 7 year old is the stick figure.

My ds is the same. He's just turned 6, and the youngest one on the team. His practice is cut short by 10 minutes so he can hit the shower and get dressed. (It's an improvement over his 1/2 hour swim lessons when he was younger. He turned blue in under 20 minutes, so he sat the first 10 minutes on the pool's deck.)

Our team (since we're on the coast with a lot of surfing) allows short-sleeved rash guards for practice. Would your team and your daughter go for that? My son swears by the thick silicone caps. He won't wear a rash guard. "It's not the ocean, Mom...." Hey dude, I'm not the one who's blue, either...

I hope you find something that works!

My youngest started swim team when we lived in the deep south, at 4. Did fine, pretty great actually for 4, lol. We moved, and he did summer swim with his brother at 7. Then he got involved with gymnastics, but we moved to a place with a short winter swim season (8weeks) and the hours were set so he could do both. Except, it was winter and temps were in the teens. Indoor of course warmer, but the water wasn't warm enough for a kid with no body fat. He shivered and turned blue within 20 minutes of practice- every day. After 4 practices, I pulled him out, it just was too cold for him! The coach was frustrated (he's an athletic kid who even with rarely swimming was one of the best in his age group for the team) and insisted he'd get used to it, but he was done. Plus, he didn't want to risk getting sick for gym. we tried again the next year, same thing. Some kids just get too cold.

I used to swim outdoors in the winter, and it helped when my mom would heat the towels under the hand dryer just before I got out of the pool. All of us on the team would rush to the heated dressing room to shower and change into warm clothes ASAP. You might consider having several towels on hand so she can cover up in one of those while waiting her turn, and not have to deal with drying off with an already soggy and cold towel. Wearing a cap will help, and a bodysuit if it's allowed and you want to spend the money for it. Also, make sure she covers her head after practice. Cold, wet hair, especially long hair, just prolongs the misery.

Honestly, it was easier when it was colder, because the water was so much warmer than the surrounding air (which we had become used to by January and February), that we'd have to get out of the pool to cool off during practice.

Warm followed by wind chill followed by warm can make it worse as our body don't adjust that fast to the quick change in temperature.

Does the pool provide warm bath towels? The YMCA and the club my boys used to go to both have warm bath towels. When they get out ot the pool, I wrap them in the bath towels. In places when there is no warm towels, I warm up their bath towels using the hand warmer for awhile.

Nice hot cocoa in an insulated travel mug definately help me while my boys prefer to dash into the changing room and warm themselves there. My 7 year old is the stick figure.

Yeah, I hate to tell her she can't get in the hot tub, but I think you confirmed my feelings about that. No warm towels, and I've been trying to figure out how to magically produce some. I will definitely do the cocoa. She will probably drink it in the shower. :lol:

My ds is the same. He's just turned 6, and the youngest one on the team. His practice is cut short by 10 minutes so he can hit the shower and get dressed. (It's an improvement over his 1/2 hour swim lessons when he was younger. He turned blue in under 20 minutes, so he sat the first 10 minutes on the pool's deck.)

Our team (since we're on the coast with a lot of surfing) allows short-sleeved rash guards for practice. Would your team and your daughter go for that? My son swears by the thick silicone caps. He won't wear a rash guard. "It's not the ocean, Mom...." Hey dude, I'm not the one who's blue, either...

I hope you find something that works!

The coach is pretty great. I think she wouldn't have a problem with a rash guard at all. We are getting team caps soon and so DD will have that to keep her head warm. She runs hot and cold with her swim cap because it fits very tight and yet still manages to let some water in. It's a lose/lose, it seems.

My youngest started swim team when we lived in the deep south, at 4. Did fine, pretty great actually for 4, lol. We moved, and he did summer swim with his brother at 7. Then he got involved with gymnastics, but we moved to a place with a short winter swim season (8weeks) and the hours were set so he could do both. Except, it was winter and temps were in the teens. Indoor of course warmer, but the water wasn't warm enough for a kid with no body fat. He shivered and turned blue within 20 minutes of practice- every day. After 4 practices, I pulled him out, it just was too cold for him! The coach was frustrated (he's an athletic kid who even with rarely swimming was one of the best in his age group for the team) and insisted he'd get used to it, but he was done. Plus, he didn't want to risk getting sick for gym. we tried again the next year, same thing. Some kids just get too cold.

If my fixes don't work, I will let her quit, absolutely. I agree that it's just too much for some kids and I get the coach's frustration because it is a bit disappointing to see kids with potential leave a sport. DD is such a great little swimmer. Her butterfly is so pretty. :)

I used to swim outdoors in the winter, and it helped when my mom would heat the towels under the hand dryer just before I got out of the pool. All of us on the team would rush to the heated dressing room to shower and change into warm clothes ASAP. You might consider having several towels on hand so she can cover up in one of those while waiting her turn, and not have to deal with drying off with an already soggy and cold towel. Wearing a cap will help, and a bodysuit if it's allowed and you want to spend the money for it. Also, make sure she covers her head after practice. Cold, wet hair, especially long hair, just prolongs the misery.

Honestly, it was easier when it was colder, because the water was so much warmer than the surrounding air (which we had become used to by January and February), that we'd have to get out of the pool to cool off during practice.

I read your post earlier and immediately went to buy a bodysuit online, so thanks! Such wonderful reviews and lots of stories of cold swim team/lesson kids! I'm also going to take more towels with me. One isn't sufficient and I think what we have aren't thick and warm enough either. The swim lanes are pretty far from the bathroom/dryer, but I'll look to see if warming them is a possibility. I am really surprised to hear that about it being easier when colder. Really hoping for that here! :D

Thanks everyone!

You could take a cooler with a warm bag of wheat and put the towels in that--that would keep them warm. My kids hate swim team in the winter--they get out of the pool with wet hair and hit -20 degrees--it's tough! The girls figured out that they had to be careful or their hair would break off.

Thanks! And EEEEEKK about -20! And the hair! DD would be done for sure if her hair started chipping away. Can't say I would blame her! :lol:

You could try using homemade ricesocks to keep the towels/clothes warm. Ricesocks can stay warm a long time. Put uncooked regular (NOT quick) rice in a kneesock. Tie the end. Heat in a microwave--will have to experiment to see how long to microwave. Start with shorter times and then gradually go up. (Don't want to go too long or rice will burn and smell!). I usually heat my ricesocks about 90 seconds OR 2 minutes if the sock has a lot of rice. You can reuse/reheat the ricesocks for years. I put ricesocks in my winter coat pockets and its amazing how long they can stay warm. Hope you figure something out to help your DD.

My dd swam year round for several years. She's now moved onto diving which is held in a larger aquatic center, so a bit warmer. She was also very tiny for her age with zero body fat. Some things that helped us were:

double swim caps, hot cocoa, never sit on the pool deck (if you do need to be sure to sit on a kickboard), heating her towels and robes by the warming fan (using rice socks would be a great alternative though). Covering her wet head on the way to the car

some kids did wear wet suits, but our dd never wanted to. Also, keep moving. Dd would tread water or move around a bit between sets of laps. Staying mostly submerged and staying moving makes a huge difference.

I will definitely try double swim caps and rice socks. Great ideas!

The pool is outside. Boooooooo! I should have known there would be trouble ahead when she was cold in August in 110+ degree weather! :lol:

I would be looking for a team with an indoor pool.

Honestly, I can't imagine swimming outdoors at 60 degrees, with thoughts it might get colder, although I am a total wimp in the cold. Both my girls have big swim parkas and at meets the first thing they do after an event is put their parka on to keep warm and our meets are all at indoor pools. They wear them after practice to home over their wet suits, saving time not needing to change. We are fairly far south and it is just not heard of to swim outdoors in the winter here.

Guess I'm of no help, although if she is going to stick it out I would recommend a big swim parka.

My ds is a very good swimmer, but swimming in the cold killed his passion. We have chosen to just do summer league rather than year round. He seems to drop his temp more easily than the other kids and it just made him miserable. Rather than let him truly burn out and quit altogether, we're going this route. When he's a bit older, we can always try again.

You could try using homemade ricesocks to keep the towels/clothes warm. Ricesocks can stay warm a long time. Put uncooked regular (NOT quick) rice in a kneesock. Tie the end. Heat in a microwave--will have to experiment to see how long to microwave. Start with shorter times and then gradually go up. (Don't want to go too long or rice will burn and smell!). I usually heat my ricesocks about 90 seconds OR 2 minutes if the sock has a lot of rice. You can reuse/reheat the ricesocks for years. I put ricesocks in my winter coat pockets and its amazing how long they can stay warm. Hope you figure something out to help your DD.

I was just going to suggest the rice socks. I make them with men's tube socks and put about a pound of rice in them. ETA: the larger volume of rice helps them stay warmer longer. I heat them for about 3 minutes in the microwave oven. If you wrap the towels round the hot socks (I think two would be good), it will keep the towels warm and keep the rice sock warm. After she has dried off with the warm towels, she can wear the rice sock next to her body to warm her up more. To keep the rice sock clean, use another sock as a cover so that sock gets dirty and the inside sock stays clean.

About the hot tub ... it depends on how long she is in there. I find that the hot tub can warm my core body temperature so that I can tolerate the air on my wet body a little more. If she is only in there for a minute or two, she may not be getting the benefit. But, you have to be careful with smaller bodies in the hot tub as they can overheat just as quickly as they can get too cold. If she can go straight from the hot tub to a warmed towel and then have a fresh warm towel after her shower, she may find it works better for her.

zimom, I will be getting her a parka as well. Thanks!

I thought swimming outdoors in the winter was odd too but it is apparently extremely common.

My dd swam year round for several years. She's now moved onto diving which is held in a larger aquatic center, so a bit warmer. She was also very tiny for her age with zero body fat. Some things that helped us were:

double swim caps, hot cocoa, never sit on the pool deck (if you do need to be sure to sit on a kickboard), heating her towels and robes by the warming fan (using rice socks would be a great alternative though). Covering her wet head on the way to the car

some kids did wear wet suits, but our dd never wanted to. Also, keep moving. Dd would tread water or move around a bit between sets of laps. Staying mostly submerged and staying moving makes a huge difference.

Thanks for this! I did see her treading water at the end of every drill and immediately thought that she was probably wearing herself out but you're right that it was keeping her warmer. There is no opportunity to sit on the pool deck, as coach lets them stay in between drills. She is sensitive to their needs. DD is definitely on board with the wetsuit. We are sincerely hoping it gets here before practice today. We're also about to run to Wal-Mart for big socks and a giant bag of rice. :D I will pack the towels in my insulated picnic bag. Who knew it would someday be useful for things other than refrigeration? :lol:

My ds is a very good swimmer, but swimming in the cold killed his passion. We have chosen to just do summer league rather than year round. He seems to drop his temp more easily than the other kids and it just made him miserable. Rather than let him truly burn out and quit altogether, we're going this route. When he's a bit older, we can always try again.

If the wetsuit, parka, double cap, warm towels, cocoa, hot shower & immediately changing into warm clothes don't do the trick, then yes, I will absolutely let her quit. It's not worth risking her health or her love of swimming.

I was just going to suggest the rice socks. I make them with men's tube socks and put about a pound of rice in them. ETA: the larger volume of rice helps them stay warmer longer. I heat them for about 3 minutes in the microwave oven. If you wrap the towels round the hot socks (I think two would be good), it will keep the towels warm and keep the rice sock warm. After she has dried off with the warm towels, she can wear the rice sock next to her body to warm her up more. To keep the rice sock clean, use another sock as a cover so that sock gets dirty and the inside sock stays clean.

About the hot tub ... it depends on how long she is in there. I find that the hot tub can warm my core body temperature so that I can tolerate the air on my wet body a little more. If she is only in there for a minute or two, she may not be getting the benefit. But, you have to be careful with smaller bodies in the hot tub as they can overheat just as quickly as they can get too cold. If she can go straight from the hot tub to a warmed towel and then have a fresh warm towel after her shower, she may find it works better for her.

Thanks for the specifics about the rice socks. I'm definitely doing this today. She has said she will swim even if the wetsuit doesn't arrive today and this will help for sure if that's the case. I think I will make several, actually. I need to do it for DS9 as well. He is cold. He is just not a squeaky wheel. I did tell him that if the wetsuit works well for DD that I will buy him one as well. This is getting expensive!

The lifeguard only lets them stay in for 3 minutes (she actually times it), so I think you're right that she's not getting the benefit. I find that after a while in the hot tub, I long to get out in cold air. But she's so freezing when she gets in and isn't in long enough to get the benefit of wanting to get out. I always wait for her right outside the hot tub and wrap her in a towel, but it's air temp, not rice-warmed. But it will be today! Thanks!

We had to use an outdoor pool for a number of years for team. I distinctly remember a lot of days when it was snowing as the kids dove in...

My kids mostly swim indoors in the winter, but there is an outdoor heated pool that is used occasionally. However, they stay in the pool the entire practice! There is no getting out and having to wait on a turn for anything on those days. If there were, I don't think mine would be out there. They have been outside during snow. The funniest thing to watch are the coaches who are out there in their parkas, hats, and gloves. The steam coming off of the pool coats them in ice. One coach who has a beard looks particularly interesting at the end of practice. The only time they have to be wet and outside is as they run from the pool to the locker room inside. That is a pretty short trip, and the hot shower at the end of it is usually fairly long.

My kids mostly swim indoors in the winter, but there is an outdoor heated pool that is used occasionally. However, they stay in the pool the entire practice! There is no getting out and having to wait on a turn for anything on those days. If there were, I don't think mine would be out there. They have been outside during snow. The funniest thing to watch are the coaches who are out there in their parkas, hats, and gloves. The steam coming off of the pool coats them in ice. One coach who has a beard looks particularly interesting at the end of practice. The only time they have to be wet and outside is as they run from the pool to the locker room inside. That is a pretty short trip, and the hot shower at the end of it is usually fairly long.

Coach lets them stay in the whole practice. It is only at the very end (last 5 minutes maybe?) when they do sprints that she has them get out so they can dive in to practice for competition. I predict that she will not have them lining up to do so as it gets colder.

:hurray:

Yippeeeeeee!

The wetsuit was a smashing success! She was happy as a clam, so cheerful instead of chattering. She was so comfortable that she was the only kid in the pool who was popping up out of the water instead of staying in up to the neck shivering while receiving instruction. She actually had to be reprimanded for getting up on the lane markers. :laugh: I'm not completely thrilled about that (obviously :lol:), but it is a good sign because she would have been too cold to be up there on them exposed before the wetsuit.

We also did warm towels, hot showers followed by warm clothes, and hot cocoa for them all on the way home but, honestly, that wetsuit was the cure. I think everything else will really start to figure in when the temps drop more. Anyway, DD and I are ecstatic, and now I'm about to go order one for DS9.

Thanks to everyone!