Menu

Egg Prices Comparison

Candid

Egg Price Comparison  

82 members have voted

1. 1. In your area, how are eggs priced?

• White eggs are cheaper than brown ones.
    • Brown eggs are cheaper than white ones.
    • Brown and white eggs cost the same.

White are cheaper here and I had to buy some for the first time in five years this week :( My newest batch of chickens are quite ready to lay in this cold weather. My younger kids look at those white eggs like they have a disease - LOL! I'm going out to the hen house to give my ladies a good talking to today.

I didn't vote but I couldn't resist adding this. I don't think white chicken eggs can be purchased easily in the UK. I have never seen one in five years. I used to buy brown eggs from whole foods--dd didn't like white??? Now the choice is free range or caged!

I can get duck and goose eggs easily. Other like pheasant with a bit of effort.

For us green eggs are the cheapest right now...................fresh from our chickens. We are still getting a few brown ones but those hens are older and aren't laying much in the cold and dark.

At the store though white is about 1/2 price of brown.

Keep this coming, I'm curious. I'm reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/What-Eat-Marion-Nestle/dp/0865477388/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355261005&sr=8-1&keywords=what+to+eat

She says brown or white shells is due to genetics, breed of hen: there is no nutrition difference (although other factors can influence nutrition). She also says the price varies by the part of the country you are in. I assume some areas must mostly have hens that lay one color over the other.

The part about varying prices was interesting to me, hence the poll.

If you have options, then you'll have to try to compare as close as possible: same size, same other factors, etc.

I am curious to know where those of you who don't see white eggs live. I saw one England, that makes sense, how about the rest of you who don't see white eggs?

She also says, for you fortunate ones, that truly fresh eggs are amazingly better in taste.

I've never seen white eggs in Australia. We moved here three years ago from America and I've wondered about it, just assumed it's due to different breeds. Eggs are also smaller here, a 'large' egg is definitely not the same size as a large white egg in America. That was really noticeable to me when we moved here but I've gotten used to it, haven't found it necessary to adjust recipes or anything.

In the midwest where I grew up white eggs are the norm, once the navy sent us to the east coast I noticed that brown eggs are the norm. My kids having lived most of their lives on the east coast think if it's not brown there's something wrong with it, unless it's a pretty blue/green one we get from time to time from a fellow homeschooling family we met in vision therapy. I'd love to have chickens, but my husband said he's not asking the landlord if we can have chickens.

I'm in New Zealand. I remember white eggs in my childhood. I remember my grandmother warning me never to buy brown eggs because they "have blood in them" and I remember when they started selling mixed cartons instead of only white, she would make us hold one for her while she opened other and swapped eggs around until she had a dozen white eggs. But as I said above, it's got to be at least 10 years... no, more because she's been gone 10+ years, and it was well before that - maybe more like 20.

White eggs are cheaper here. If you buy eggs from the grocery store, the only brown eggs they have are the much more expensive varieties (vegetarian fed, etc.).

If I buy eggs from a local farmer, which I prefer to do, the eggs are always brown (unless the farmer has one of the fun varieties that gives colored eggs -- one place we get eggs has a mix, so we get light brown, dark brown, and pretty pale green eggs), and usually it's only a tiny bit more for those eggs than for the basic white eggs from the grocery store.

Eggs are also smaller here, a 'large' egg is definitely not the same size as a large white egg in America. That was really noticeable to me when we moved here but I've gotten used to it, haven't found it necessary to adjust recipes or anything.

In the US eggs are sized by weight per dozen with around 3 ounce increments between sizes. I'm guessing that where you are they use a different sizing method. BUT with only 3 ounces (over a dozen eggs) between sizes the difference even in the US is small.